• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The deal has now been changed to two back skin protectors for $7.50.

A new skin company, KnightShields, is starting out by making a wet application skin that covers the glossy, plastic backside (AKA fingerprint and scratch magnet) of the HP Touchpad. The introductory price until 9/7/11 is $6.99+TAX (I believe tax is for SC only) shipped. If you're in a rush, the skin won't ship until Spetember 9. You can find pictures of the fit here. The skin is shown as being white in the picture for illustration, but the final shipped product will be clear. The cheapest comparative skin I can find is at BestSkinsEver for $13.59.

Edit: I guess if you contact the seller here with "white skin" in the subject, there is a chance he can fulfill orders for white skins instead of clear. I imagine fulfillment will be based on the amount of interest.

Note that this skin doesn't cover the corners of the device, only the back.

Some details for the wary:

I first picked up on this skin over at Precentral and then a site similar to FatWallet where users offer deals that are very slick, if you catch my drift. Sadly I didn't catch the post soon enough for the trial.

The owner/inventor/designer gave some posts and at the very least seems to have a good sense of humor (just look at the KnightShields site). Apparently the skin/material is made by Oracal and is used for the signage wraps on automobiles. From what (s)he has posted, depending on sales, separate corner pieces will be released and their may be solid matte colors and a screen protector released also. After some poking in the forum, (s)he even dropped the price down from $7.99 to $6.99. Payment is through PayPal and there is a 15 day warranty. I already bit on the BestSkinsEver deal, but I think I'm going to give this a try.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It appears to me that all these type skins are really just like auto window tint, as they use adhesive to stick. I wonder what happens to the finish of your electronics shoud you need to remove or replace skin. Its one thing to take off glass, but another on finished plastic.

JaxFL said:   It appears to me that all these type skins are really just like auto window tint, as they use adhesive to stick. I wonder what happens to the finish of your electronics shoud you need to remove or replace skin. Its one thing to take off glass, but another on finished plastic.

I've never used auto window tint, so I'm not sure how sticky/hard to remove it is or how similar it is to these skins. My experience in the past with what I believe are 3M skins and screen protectors for a DS Lite is that they peel off easily without leaving any residue behind. I'm assuming the Oracal would be similar and KnightShields (as well as other skin makers) claim they peel off easily without leaving a residue. Maybe someone can chime in with more info?

Amateur web site, amateur photos... An amateur product?

MIShopper said:   Amateur web site, amateur photos... An amateur product?

Possibly, but I've spent more on professional skins that I felt weren't worth the price. For the asking price, I'm willing to give it a try. If they stink, I'll ask for a refund.

scuzzy2 said:   MIShopper said:   Amateur web site, amateur photos... An amateur product?

The owner says the skin manufacturer is the second major in the field. He doesn't manufacture it, just distributes it. It's like 'golden ears' speaker cable. Few companies make their own cable, they buy it from a wire company.
People are going crazy on this deal in another forum, which is crazy. It's a BACK skin with no cutouts. I'm sure in a year I'll be wishing I protected the back, but I'm still working on getting a great screen protector for the FRONT for 8 bucks.

I'd probably buy this if they had the white one. Don't care for a transparent one.

~Paik

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014