• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just saw that Hulu Plus is offering a one month free trial. Normally it is only a week trial. Even some of the previous one month trials required a facebook link or .edu address or some other string attached, but this one doesn't this time. I think this is good given all the flak from the Netflix fallout recently. Now's a good time to give it a try if you ever wondered about it. After the Free Month, it's $7.99/mo. Enjoy!!!

Somebody requested a link (it is in the scrolling ads on the top of the Hulu webpage where they are currently advertising for the Android app on Hulu, but it offers one month trial for Hulu Plus even if you don't have Android device): http://www.hulu.com/plus/htc?src=masthead

Member Summary

Hulu (13.44kB)
Thanks Funnyman1026
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Do you mean www.imdb.com?

leonc (Sep. 23, 2011 @ 4:57p) |

I counted about 6 minutes per hour. About 45 to 65 sec each, regular TV on cable has 22 minutes....@ 120-300 sec each s... (more)

handyguy (Sep. 23, 2011 @ 5:08p) |

Thank you! Just signed up for the service and found that AD's are served while playing videos on my TV. Wasn't it suppos... (more)

sandmansgrave (Sep. 28, 2011 @ 3:58p) |

• Also categorized in:

Went to hulu and still says 1 week free trial. Link to the 1 month trial would be helpful.

Thanks for posting the direct link.

The 1 month free trial may require you to "accept" a KISSmetrics supertracking cookie. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/undeletable-cookie/ , I don't have Flash or JavaScript in my browser so I can't get a Hulu account. Hulu gets a bad citizen award for how they fail to disclose this.

Somebody requested a link (it is in the scrolling ads on the top of the Hulu page where they are currently advertising for the Android app on Hulu, but it offers one month trial for Hulu even if you don't have Android device): http://www.hulu.com/plus/htc?src=masthead

I just signed up, No facebook account needed, although it is an option if you want to link it.

How are commercials?

got this last time and still commercials. what's the point of plus when they still have commercial breaks in between.

linrick said:   got this last time and still commercials. what's the point of plus when they still have commercial breaks in between.

You get more content and I think the commercials are shorter.

hulu has commercials??

The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

JimmyRyan said:   hulu has commercials??

Yes, but more on free. Plus you get to pick which ones you want to watch & decide if the one you watched was fit for you.

ProppaT, to overcome that limit just connect your TV to your computer. Then you can 'stream' whatever you want.

nsdp said:   The 1 month free trial may require you to "accept" a KISSmetrics supertracking cookie. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/undeletable-cookie/ , I don't have Flash or JavaScript in my browser so I can't get a Hulu account. Hulu gets a bad citizen award for how they fail to disclose this.

From your linked article:

In response to inquiries from Wired.com, Hulu cut ties with KISSmetrics on Friday.

FYI

nsdp said:   The 1 month free trial may require you to "accept" a KISSmetrics supertracking cookie. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/undeletable-cookie/ , I don't have Flash or JavaScript in my browser so I can't get a Hulu account. Hulu gets a bad citizen award for how they fail to disclose this.
According to the July 2011 article you linked:

"In response to inquiries from Wired.com, Hulu cut ties with KISSmetrics on Friday."

Has Hulu started using this KISSmetrics cookie again?

ProppaT said:   The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

Yeah, I hate that too. I have tried plus a few times, and usually cancel within a day or two. Hulu free is better in my opinion.

They send me free months about every other month to come back.

poison7FL said:   ProppaT said:   The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

Yeah, I hate that too. I have tried plus a few times, and usually cancel within a day or two. Hulu free is better in my opinion.

Wait, what!?!?! I just cancelled my DirecTV today and was in the process of signing up for a week when I found this. You guys are saying that a lot of their shows you have to watch on a PC as it won't stream to a PS3/360?

Great deal on the free month but if this is the case that's gonna suck

I know that some content won't stream on non-PC devices -- but pretty much all the shows I've seen will -- some partner content like Simpsons won't.
I signed up for a free month from Hulu due to an Xbox promotion a few months ago. Cancelled after free month. Three months later, got an email from them offering another free month, with ANOTHER free month if I linked to my Facebook account. (Warning: after linking to facebook remember to set your privacy settings as the default shares more info than I'd like). The second free month did not automatically credit but a quick email and it got fixed, and now I've had Hulu for a total of three free months. At that price it rocks

Just signed up for the free month with Hulu Plus. No KISSmetrics cookie found. I do have a Facebook account.

Yes, there is some content that is for either PC only or other streaming device only. What's available on the Roku is sweet, especially for free.

LivninSC said:   Wait, what!?!?! I just cancelled my DirecTV today and was in the process of signing up for a week when I found this. You guys are saying that a lot of their shows you have to watch on a PC as it won't stream to a PS3/360?

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. A good example is Louie. The original reason I signed up for Hulu+ was to catch up on that show, yet you can't stream it through set top boxes. I came to find out that most of the shows I was excited to catch up on had the same limitation.

While using a laptop is one way around it, it's an unreasonable solution when a) you're paying for the service and b) want something permenant in the livingroom that you're not always hooking up and unhooking. I'm usually using my computer while I watch tv, so this just doesn't work for me.

I don't mind (and would actually prefer) paying for a site like Hulu, but I'm basically back to using megavideo link sites for tv. It's easy and works perfect with my Google TV.

LivninSC said:   poison7FL said:   ProppaT said:   The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

Wait, what!?!?! I just cancelled my DirecTV today and was in the process of signing up for a week when I found this. You guys are saying that a lot of their shows you have to watch on a PC as it won't stream to a PS3/360?

All I have to say is... You should have tried it prior to cancelling... I Stream regular hulu over my PS3 and Roku with Playon, but streaming Hulu+ sucks. 50% of the shows are only available to watch on your PC... That is not fun for me. I have tried Hulu+ (Free trialsm) many times since they started to see if it gets better, but it never has.

Hulu seems like a non-starter for the adventurous geek. I tried it (and canceled a day late, costing me $8) on PC and Roku. The Roku box didn't stream well (though the pc did fine on the same network), but worse than that were the commercials. If I'm going to pay for the internet connection and for the paltry content, I should get commercial free or - at the worst - a 15-30 second intro ad. The Daily Show has about 4 minutes of ads in a program. I may as well pay for cable/sat and just skip the commercials.

After giving up on the commercial services and finding them not ready for prime time, I'm working on SAnzbd + Sickbeard + Couch potato + Plex (I don't need xbmc), plus a usenet subscription for less than hulu+Netflix. We'll see...

Overzeetop said:   I'm working on SAnzbd + Sickbeard + Couch potato + Plex (I don't need xbmc), plus a usenet subscription for less than hulu+Netflix. We'll see...
How are you using Plex with the other applications? Can you automate Plex to use what the other applications obtain from Usenet? I've not used any of these programs but your post is interesting.

I think hulu + was always 1 month free for students (you have to have .edu email). Just my 2 cents in case someone misses this one. Thanks op

johnnyman17 said:   how's this one different from Netflix?movies/shows on Netflix don't have commercials. they stream well thru practically all devices.

Any of you guys who are hoping to stream Hulu via Touchpad, don't. Hulu just blocked another webos patch, so as of right now, there are no workarounds to the best of my knowledge.

linrick said:   johnnyman17 said:   how's this one different from Netflix?movies/shows on Netflix don't have commercials. they stream well thru practically all devices.

Hulu has MUCH more in the way of programming options.

Overzeetop said:   If I'm going to pay for the internet connection and for the paltry content, I should get commercial free or - at the worst - a 15-30 second intro ad. The Daily Show has about 4 minutes of ads in a program. I may as well pay for cable/sat and just skip the commercials.

I'll second that. I've watched more commercials in the last couple of hours on Hulu than in the last year of satellite.

LivninSC said:   poison7FL said:   ProppaT said:   The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

In a different forum concerning Netflix's tomfoolery, someone mentioned IMBED or imbde, something like that. They said it is better than Netflix, and is free. Anyone believe this?

Hulu is terribly loaded with commercials which ruin the viewing.

Thank you very much! =)

Thanks OP! Just signup for the service. Let's see how it turn out!

Gnomie said:   LivninSC said:   poison7FL said:   ProppaT said:   The worst thing about Hulu is that, after you pay the $8 to stream shows to your tv via your xbox, ps3, Roku, etc., you get a reduced selection of shows. So many shows are blocked from streaming to your tv that it's absurd. Every other item I tried to stream would tell me I had to use my computer.

In a different forum concerning Netflix's tomfoolery, someone mentioned IMBED or imbde, something like that. They said it is better than Netflix, and is free. Anyone believe this?

Do you mean www.imdb.com?

po90260 said:   Hulu is terribly loaded with commercials which ruin the viewing.

I counted about 6 minutes per hour. About 45 to 65 sec each, regular TV on cable has 22 minutes....@ 120-300 sec each so this is quite a bit better.

Thank you! Just signed up for the service and found that AD's are served while playing videos on my TV. Wasn't it supposed to be commercial free?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014