• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just did my bi-annual call/chat to Comcast to threaten to cancel if they don't lower my bill.

Got a pretty good deal this time, hopefully others can too.

I got my deal through Comcast's online chat.

At first was offered $85/mo, I said, "not good enough"

CSR came back with "it's your lucky day!"

$29.99/mo for digital starter TV package + $19.99/mo Xfinity HSI (not sure of exact speed) = $50/mo

I was paying ~ $70/mo, so I'm pleased.

Hate having to play this game with them every 6mos though.

I'm in Seattle, WA. CSR didn't mention any special promotion name or anything.

Member Summary

Comcast Digital Starter (14.35kB)
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
From Seattle too...chat with an analyst and got a 50 bill for 6 months...kudos

ichnamef (Nov. 07, 2011 @ 1:51p) |

Here in NJ, best I could get today was $79.99 with the Retention Department. Better than what I was previosuly paying (... (more)

Fredo (Jan. 05, 2012 @ 11:43a) |

Today found my credit score dropped by 60 points due to a so called "Adverse account" added by a collector called C.P.A ... (more)

jamesgloverg (Feb. 16, 2012 @ 1:10p) |

• Also categorized in:

Got a 6-month "extension" yesterday, after my previous promotion expired - $39.99, or $41.xx with taxes factored in. Blast internet + basic digital TV (no cable box). Did this by visiting local Comcast store (second time - for some reason, the option was not available before my current promotion expired, so I came back "later"). Apparently, there were also some "premium" channels included (HBO?), but I simply did not need them...

Definitely worth it to talk to Comcast (perhaps in person as well) to see if the bill can get lowered.

What department did you chat with (what menu option in the chat page did you chose?) And did they transfer you?

Thanks!

Keep in mind, basic is about what you could get for free over the air if near cities

IamN41 said:   Just did my bi-annual call/chat to Comcast to threaten to cancel if they don't lower my bill.

In other words, you're a liar.

arribasn said:   Keep in mind, basic is about what you could get for free over the air if near cities

yeah, but without paying $10/mo for tv, your internet price would go up by $30/mo. I pay for tv and internet and I have never once watched CATV nor even plugged it into my tv.

eviljim said:   What department did you chat with (what menu option in the chat page did you chose?) And did they transfer you?

Thanks!

I just did the online chat. You can use my link in the OP to get to their chat service.

I was not transferred, just chatted with the first CSR that came on.

mfp2waoe said:   IamN41 said:   Just did my bi-annual call/chat to Comcast to threaten to cancel if they don't lower my bill.

In other words, you're a liar.

no...lying is if he didn't go through with it. It never got to that point so no...not a liar.

didnt work for me though....they basically said....don't let the door hit you on your way out

what were the contract extension terms?

The basic internet is pretty slow (I had it for about 2 months) ~1mbps, hopefully you get the second tier.

this is a great deal, i will try it.

What you have is not basic, it's one above basic (ESPN.com, etc) with a free DVR + performance internet (12mbps). It was my previous package, but now I am paying about $38 dollars for my blast internet package + basic TV (no ESPN.com or food network) and no DVR, but limited On Demand stuff.

I got in on the HSI 19.99 deal and I found out later my TV can pickup digital TV channels from the same line. I get local channels plus The History Channel (not cable channels like Food Network, Travel, USA, etc). So it sounds like the digital TV part just comes with the HSI no matter what.

thanks for sharing OP
my experience was different. I ended up getting a 1 year discount for $20 off my bill and $15 off DVR rental. Total of $35 monthly credit off my bill for a year with no strings attached. Will wait for a few days & then call to confirm.

No go in Northern California. The chat representative said she could only support offers on the website - $64.99 for basic cable.

Dano

I was told on line and on the telephone I could not receive both promotions and I had to purchase the bundle for 69.00.

Funny, I am in the same market as the OP and got the same deal. Took my bill from $97 down to $56. Why must we play the semi-annual game with these jokers.

I had no luck with this. I'm in the Seattle area too.

The chat reps that I worked with could only get me in on Triple Play for $120/month. No thank you. Guess I'll be looking at Dish Network and some High Speed Internet provider.

Their recent promo from retention dept.

Limited Doubleplay
Includes: Limited Basic TV Service and Ultra
Internet Service With PowerBoost.
Speed 35.0/7.5Mpbs
price 49.99+taxes

DWooley said:   Their recent promo from retention dept.

Limited Doubleplay
Includes: Limited Basic TV Service and Ultra
Internet Service With PowerBoost.
Speed 35.0/7.5Mpbs
price 49.99+taxes

Can you share some details on how you got it?
What number did you dial and how long is it good for?
Thanks,

Not much to it. Called local number and had friendly chat. As far as I remember, she did not mention expiration date. Posted as another datapoint and hope it helps you.

East Bay Area in Cali... Just got offered blast for 40 bucks and the normal speed 12mbps/2mb for 29.99. Just got on chat and told him I was going to quit... and I was actually going to switch to sonic.net ... so I am glad I found this forum and don't have to deal with the switch now

From Seattle too...chat with an analyst and got a 50 bill for 6 months...kudos

Here in NJ, best I could get today was $79.99 with the Retention Department. Better than what I was previosuly paying ($89.99) on the prior DP plan but worse than my initial package of $59.99. I'll try again in another six months. By the way, I called the Retention Department twice today and got quoted difference prices for the same package. First I was offered $79.99. When I called again, I was offered $99.99 and told them I was just offered $79.99. They agreed to the lower price. I feel like I am buying a used car with Comcast.

Today found my credit score dropped by 60 points due to a so called "Adverse account" added by a collector called C.P.A (I used to have near perfect score before this). The "Adverse account" was a Comcast cable bill for my old address. I have never been contacted by Comcast or C.P.A. for this debt (I have not even received a final bill from Comcast). The only thing Comcast did was adding multiple late fee charges and sent me to its collector. I do not use Comcast anymore after I moved.

All I want now is to remove the "Adverse account" in my credit report, leaving no trace of negative information (i.e. Not just "adverse account" paid). But the bureaucracy created by Comcast and C.P.A. makes it impossible. Although I want to pay whatever they claim (including all the accumulating unresonable late fees etc) just to get this mess over, I cannot. What more do they want from me?!?

The current situation:
1. C.P.A. said that they never accept pay-for-deletion (PFD) letters, and they never delete "Adverse account" UNLESS formally requested by Comcast. Comcast never accept pfd letters either, and its billing department can only try to send informal request-to-delete to its accounting department with the hope that its accouting department will find a way to nonrountingly forward that informal request to C.P.A. Comcast billing department can try this only if my payment is made to them directly.

2. C.P.A. said the "Adverse account" in my credit report was automatically deleted weeks ago due to bad address (C.P.A. used my old address when adding the "Adverse account" in my credit report). I called the 3 reporting agencies but they insist that never happened. Because I was very polite on the phone, C.P.A. representative seemed coorperative and was willing to send me a copy of the "Deletion request due to bad address" letter to my email address. They said that I can forward this letter to the reporting agencies to make sure the adverse account will be deleted. Did not receive the email, I had to ask them to send agin. Even gave them another email address and begged them to send all together four times, two to each email account. The representative assued me that I should receive the emails and "it could take upto 24 hours due to their slow emailing system". Its been 2 days, not a single email received from them!

Which of the following 2 solutions works better now?

Solution 1. Pay Comcast directly and sincerely wish that they would and could send informal request-to-delete to C.P.A., and wish C.P.A. would honor that informal request.
Cons: Comcast may just take the payment (so I lose the only leverage) and C.P.A. just update the adverse account as "paid", but the "paid-off Adverse account" will still remain in my credit report and has almost the same negative impact to my credit score for 7 years.
Pros: I may pay Comcast directly and never have to deal with C.P.A.(which seems to be purely liars per comments on the web, and my own experience). Then I can file dispute with all 3 credit reporting agencies that the "Adverse account" with C.P.A. is invalid. And hoping C.P.A. will remove the "Adverse account" since they will not be able to validate the already-paid-off debt with Comcast.

Solution 2. Send payement to C.P.A. with the PFD letter (although they don't honor it). Then GW letter.
Cons: Comcast will not even try sending any request to C.P.A. because the payment is received by Comcast directly. And C.P.A. will only update "Adverse account" as paid. The negative effect of the "Adverse account" to my credit score remains.
Pros: If the letter happen to be processed by a not-too-evil C.P.A. representative (assume such rep exists), then its the most direct and efficient way.

Could anybody share the experience with this debt collector or similar experience with Comcast? Any suggetsions will be highly appreciated!

Please help!

Note: C.P.A.: "Credit Protection Association 13355 NOEL RD, STE 2100, DALLAS, TX 75240.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014