Sony NEX-3 Camera $284 at Target YMMV

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just picked up the NEX-3 with 18-55 lens for $284 from Target. My local store had 3 left. Great camera for the price.

Review for those interested:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5nex3/

Member Summary

NEX-3 with 18-55 lens (174.02kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The store at Foothills Ranch, CA will sell it for 398, and has only one display model. I argued and haggled with the sto... (more)

AzzuriStar (Oct. 19, 2011 @ 10:59a) |

So I did one last round of checking. Tacoma, WA and two additional stores in Salt Lake (just got home from business trav... (more)

coolbreeze (Oct. 20, 2011 @ 9:23p) |

New ones they got are probably NEX-3C, not the NEX-3...color should have nothing to do with it.

hewittbrettt (Oct. 21, 2011 @ 8:36a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony

What's the DCPI number?

love this camera. between this and iphone 4s - my ole dslr rots.

StingyMan said:   What's the DCPI number?

056-10-0791

where is your locat store?

Would be nice if fellow members share what area have it for this price. Checked few stores near San Diego and they are either 599 or OOS.

I got mine in Chicagoland, specifically Wheaton.

Not available for that price in Memphis anywhere.

Full $599 in Salt Lake City

599 in new york (flushing ny)

Thanks OP.......

I'll check some of the Targéts around me (Niles, IL) and report back...Maybe I'll buy what I can and ship them out to those who really want them...

Don't seem to carry these in my area Looking for DSLR options so I was bummed this and the Canon deal at Sears didn't pan out.

how about a scan of receipt?

how about a scan of receipt?

When does Targ8t update prices of discontinued products to clearance? When the dude scanned it today, he said $599 but it's discontinued so it will probably go to clearance soon. I asked when and he said he doesn't know.

So tempting as there was only one left...

Picked up 2 at Oklahoma City Quail Springs target. They have one left.
The display said $599 and I asked the employee and he said it went on clearance for 284.88.

hieusays said:   Picked up 2 at Oklahoma City Quail Springs target. They have one left.
The display said $599 and I asked the employee and he said it went on clearance for 284.88.

"went on clearance"

When? Why the disparity between locations? I know Target's clearance are YMMV, but is there a way for them to see in their system what other Targets are charging?

I really want this but in no way am I interested in paying $599 for a year old camera.

If you scan the receipt will that work if I show to the manager? Or will I get a "well, we are not them" type of response.

599 in MD. Scanned at 599

coolbreeze said:   hieusays said:   Picked up 2 at Oklahoma City Quail Springs target. They have one left.

"went on clearance"

When? Why the disparity between locations? I know Target's clearance are YMMV, but is there a way for them to see in their system what other Targets are charging?

I really want this but in no way am I interested in paying $599 for a year old camera.

If you scan the receipt will that work if I show to the manager? Or will I get a "well, we are not them" type of response.

They can see other stores' prices, but only on a computer in the back and only if they know how to look it up (using a tool that hasn't been in the training manuals for about a decade now--so almost nobody knows how to even access it, much less use it). They can't look it up on their registers, or their handheld devices.

And yeah, that's pretty much exactly the response you'll get. Clearance prices are pushed down from headquarters, the stores don't have advance notice or control. They don't price-match other locations.

Checked a bunch of stores all around Chicago land, no go....

Same here (west of chicago), best i saw was $399, 8 other stores didn't have it marked down

Same here (west of chicago), best i saw was $399, 8 other stores didn't have it marked down

If you also want the 16mm lens this would be a better deal from Amazon. When you buy the camera with the 18-55mm lens you get the 16mm one for free(list price $250). It's sold out right now but they will ship when it's back in stock. So it's $284 + $250 = $534 for Target and $483 at Amazon.

A local Target has had their display model priced at $398 for awhile now, but after seeing this new clearance price I went to that store today to see if it had been marked down further. The clearance sticker price on the display camera still showed $398 so I asked the electronics guy to scan it. He did and his portable scanner showed a zero which he said meant he couldn't sell it and that it needed to be returned as "salvage". He called the manager over and I gave him the DCPI number (provided above by Silentguilt) and he confirmed that it was salvage and needed to be sent back. He did, however, offer to sell me that display model at the $398 price, but I said no. I checked two other Targets today and they both said they couldn't find that DCPI anywhere in the local area.

$599 in our store. Will they eventually lower it?

Snagged one in Western Suburbs - Chicago for clearance price. Just had a baby, and was looking at buying the NEX-5, this just seemed like a no-brainer. Thanks for the tip!

Which suburb?...I called all of them, and checked the rest...

Not really, the lens is going on eBay for about $150...so u could do that rather buying from Amazon.. tax saving is there but there u can score some CashBack on Target.com..

Jynx980 said:   If you also want the 16mm lens this would be a better deal from Amazon. When you buy the camera with the 18-55mm lens you get the 16mm one for free(list price $250). It's sold out right now but they will ship when it's back in stock. So it's $284 + $250 = $534 for Target and $483 at Amazon.

Jynx980 said:   If you also want the 16mm lens this would be a better deal from Amazon. When you buy the camera with the 18-55mm lens you get the 16mm one for free(list price $250). It's sold out right now but they will ship when it's back in stock. So it's $284 + $250 = $534 for Target and $483 at Amazon.
That's what I'll probably end up doing, but now I'm just thinking of saying f-it and getting the Nex-5N deal from Sony Style for $799 (includes both lenses). Primary reason is the significant sensor upgrade. It's the same sensor as in the Nikon D7000.

Pretty amazing and pretty future-proof...

coolbreeze said:   Jynx980 said:   If you also want the 16mm lens this would be a better deal from Amazon. When you buy the camera with the 18-55mm lens you get the 16mm one for free(list price $250). It's sold out right now but they will ship when it's back in stock. So it's $284 + $250 = $534 for Target and $483 at Amazon.
That's what I'll probably end up doing, but now I'm just thinking of saying f-it and getting the Nex-5N deal from Sony Style for $799 (includes both lenses). Primary reason is the significant sensor upgrade. It's the same sensor as in the Nikon D7000.

In my experience it does not pay to future proof tech items especially if it costs an extra 50% or more

rpi1967 said:   coolbreeze said:   Jynx980 said:   If you also want the 16mm lens this would be a better deal from Amazon. When you buy the camera with the 18-55mm lens you get the 16mm one for free(list price $250). It's sold out right now but they will ship when it's back in stock. So it's $284 + $250 = $534 for Target and $483 at Amazon.

In my experience it does not pay to future proof tech items especially if it costs an extra 50% or more

While I tend to agree, there's something enticing about stepping up to that outstanding sensor in the 5N. Sure there will be a better sensor next year, but the premium may be small enough to justify the added cost.

Then again, if I walk in a Target that has a NEX-3 on clearance, that's all she wrote.

RavenII said:   Which suburb?...I called all of them, and checked the rest...

Naperville

No go in the Sandy Spring, Ga - the only store from the inventory check site showing in-stock. The price on the camera still showing $599 - a scan from the Target associate confirms the normal price.

scored one at the Fullerton California Store. They said that the unit was regular price at 599 but then spoke to the manager and he looked it up showing discontinue and matched it to another store showing 284.00.

So many people following this thread and looking for this camera looking at the number of responses but not many greens for OP wondering why so? Camera is good and deal as well , right?

upengan78 said:   So many people following this thread and looking for this camera looking at the number of responses but not many greens for OP wondering why so? Camera is good and deal as well , right?

It's probably because it's highly YMMV...

No go at Linwood, WA Target.

Skipping 4 Messages...
New ones they got are probably NEX-3C, not the NEX-3...color should have nothing to do with it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014