• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
lousygolfer said:   Can someone explain to me how this 12-piece Master Clad set makes more sense than a 15-piece Kirkland no-stick pot and pan set for around one-quarter of the price?:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11624041&search...

Sure, the MasterClad set is probably more durable, but isn't the lifetime warranty on the Master Clad products essentially a non-issue when one can simply take back the Kirkland set to Costco at any time if the coating starts to lose its effectiveness and get a new set under Costco's standard return policy on non-electronics items?

Are we talking about a difference in ability to cook food that the average person would not really notice and appreciate in their own kitchen, kind of like how a non-audiophile isn't going to appreciate the difference between a $2000 speaker and an $8000 one?

I own neither but would surmise the non-stick coating on the MasterCLAD is why it's much more costlier. It's different than a Bose vs. others debate. The MasterCLAD hardware is simply superior, hence the pricing premium.

Doesn't MasterCLAD have a no-questions lifetime refund policy as well?

coolbreeze said:   I own neither but would surmise the non-stick coating on the MasterCLAD is why it's much more costlier. It's different than a Bose vs. others debate. The MasterCLAD hardware is simply superior, hence the pricing premium.

Well, a Bose analogy would involve a cheap $8 dollar store no-stick frying pan but they wouldn't tell you what materials are used in the base pan, the handle, or the non-stick coating, and it would be priced at $110. And the demo for it would involve cooking something that is extra sweet, extra salty, and it would be so slick that it wouldn't stick even to a skillet made out of paper towels and plywood.

One of the reasons that the Kirkland set is so inexpensive is that the 5-ply copper core (2 stainless, 2 aluminum, 1 copper layers) is only on the bottom of the pots and pans, and does not extend up the sides. The sides are simply stainless steel. I am wondering how much this affects cooking (evenness, sticking on sides, etc.), especially on sauce pans and other deeper pans -- any comments on this?

On the other hand, the Masterclad pieces have the 5-ply construction throughout the pan, but they are 2 layers of stainless sandwiching 3 layers of aluminum -- no copper core.

I wish I could try out both to compare!

Just bought this set today and havent tried it yet. My reason for purchasing it was the "safe" nonstick coating. Yes you could buy a kirkland set and take it back when it starts to peel etc, but in the meantime you are ingesting all the bad chemicals from the teflon. Seemed like a really good deal and well worth the price.I have purchased numerous sets of cheaper pans from Costco and Sams Club and have not been happy with any of them, so thought I would give these a try.

what location did you buy this at, i would like to purchase a set Master clad, will you email me and let me know .thanks

...but you don't heat heart stents to 400-500 degrees!

I am a parrot rescue volunteer. We have had several birds die from the outgassing from teflon pans. We now insist that adoptive households are Teflon-free. We are now investigating the Masterclad product and it does look promising, but the jury is still out. Bialetti makes a saute pan in several sizes that seems to be okay, but it is not a full set and is not the level of quality that the Masterclad seems to be.

I just got rid of all my non-stick calphalon and got a set of Cooks Standard S/S multi-ply off Amazon and after a couple of days retraining myself on the proper use now would never look back to non-stick. Really happy I made the switch.

I strongly considered purchasing a Masterclad set at my local Costco. My experience with non-stick cookware is that it doesn't last forever, so the unlimited lifetime warranty was a big selling factor. After doing some research I went back to Costco, carefully read the warranty, and called the customer service number that was printed on the bottom of the warranty. I told the customer service rep that fried eggs were beginning to stick to one of the pans that I had purchased 3 months ago (admittedly a little white lie) and wanted to know how I could return the pan for a new one. She told me that it was up to me to keep the pan seasoned and that they would not replace it. This was contrary to what the sales rep's understanding of the "lifetime unlimited no questions asked warranty." I wanted to make sure that everybody had a clear understanding of the warranty's restrictions, so I handed my cell phone to the sales rep so that he and the customer service rep could chat. Bottom line, there are restrictions to the warranty. The decision as to whether they replace the pan or not is ultimately up to the company. You as the customer don't have any say in the matter. Now before anyone accuses me of unfairly bashing Masterclad, call the customer service line yourself.

lapazable said:   I strongly considered purchasing a Masterclad set at my local Costco. My experience with non-stick cookware is that it doesn't last forever, so the unlimited lifetime warranty was a big selling factor. After doing some research I went back to Costco, carefully read the warranty, and called the customer service number that was printed on the bottom of the warranty. I told the customer service rep that fried eggs were beginning to stick to one of the pans that I had purchased 3 months ago (admittedly a little white lie) and wanted to know how I could return the pan for a new one. She told me that it was up to me to keep the pan seasoned and that they would not replace it. This was contrary to what the sales rep's understanding of the "lifetime unlimited no questions asked warranty." I wanted to make sure that everybody had a clear understanding of the warranty's restrictions, so I handed my cell phone to the sales rep so that he and the customer service rep could chat. Bottom line, there are restrictions to the warranty. The decision as to whether they replace the pan or not is ultimately up to the company. You as the customer don't have any say in the matter. Now before anyone accuses me of unfairly bashing Masterclad, call the customer service line yourself.

You are buying from Costco, the "Lifetime unlimited no questions asked warranty" is covered by Costco, don't worry about calling Masterclad, take it back to your local Costco.

This set is amazing and I love it! Obviously it is an amazing product and the company has done their research to make sure this is a safe nonstick surface and the company backs it 100%! I bought this for my wife because she was always complaining about several of our other cookware sets. I bought this set about 6 months ago at Costco for $599 and I haven't had any problems with any of the pans or the nonstick surface, and my wife actually enjoys cooking with them and is happy with the purchase! I have looked up the company that makes them and their history which is outstanding, and it is made in USA!

Any word on the glass lids ?

I just bought the set from my local Costco in Fountain Valley, CA. I received 11 pieces for $599 ($650 including tax). Seems to be good cookware so far, but then—all higher end nonstick cookware seems to work well during the initial "just bought it" period.

I called Masterclad's Consumer Care Department to specifically inquire about their "no questions asked" warranty that was preached incessantly by the demonstrators at Costco. They told me that contrary to what the demonstrators said, if there is a scratch (since that is not considered a manufacturer's defect) it would NOT be replaced. Upon further questioning, I was told that if the scratches prevented the nonstick coating to function properly, then yes, it WOULD be replaced.

I was also told that their core business is pots/pans with no non-stick coating—they phased that out some years ago. They are primarily a direct sales company, she said, that offers a lifetime warranty with their products; their products are mostly sold through parties a la Tupperware parties. They (Regal Ware) have a contract with Masterclad, and all fulfillment is done through RegalWare. Should their contract expire, RegalWare will continue the lifetime warranty. Since their core business is NOT non-stick cookware, when their supply of replacement parts has reached end-of-life, they would then be replaced with a comparable product of the regular "stick" variety.

I dunno... For $600 I think I may be better served spending less on one of Costco's non-stick sets that cost under $200. I so far really like the pans, but it's the warranty that really sold me. Something doesn't seem right in general, and I can't put my finger on it.

megasteveme said:   don't worry about PTFE all good nonsticks have it .It's inert it's used in heart stints and other medical devises.But even though you can have 5 different nonstick's with ptfe they are formulated diferently.just enjoy it It's a great product and it's made in the USA

What is a stint? And, btw, where it's made is meaningless.

First thread I have seen here in 13 years where 90% of the posters are new members and are all wearing the same hat!

Just purchased the MasterClad Pro Series Plus Ti-3 set after watching the demo and talking with the salesman at the Chico Costco store. I hope the product will last and that Regal Ware will stand behind their product. I've spent time trying to find reviews, there just are not alot of reviews out there.
All the other pot and pan sets sold at Costco are made in Thialand - interestingly enough even the Kirkland brand pans are too.

Looking forward to your update. Thank you.

i bought the set in costco lawrence ny,
i enjoyed it a lot in the begining but after a few month the food started sticking on (not as bad as regular cookware),
the problem is that today i soaked the pan in soap and water because it had burned oil on it that wouldnt come off and
when i came to clean it i saw the coating is peeling off .
i will go to costco tomorrow to check where i can return it

suscapela said:   I have a feeling you work for Regal because you've reiterated the same information on this site 4 times now. Obviously there's something in it for you so I'm not taking your story for face value. Give it a rest already. Your words: "Inert", "heart stints", are you a doctor? Are you a surgeon? Not likely. Yes, more than likely you either work for Costco or sell the product yourself. Well I've been doing some research of my own and you are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I've called Regal consumer Care Department at 262-626-2121. Nobody there knows much about this product. They couldn't even tell me what PFOA means!! What I did learn is that this particular line of Pro Series-Plus T1-3 commissioned Regal by a company called Whitford under the private label of "Master Clad Pro Series-Plus T1-3" and it's targeted for Costco members. It's mainly being sold at Costco. So my next step will be to contact Costco Consumer Relations to get to the bottom of this and find out more about the safety of this product. I still haven't taken my purchase of these pots and pans out of the box until I am convinced that it's safe for my family. Stay tuned. And please stop it with the "inert and heart stints" are made out of teflon!! Maybe you've cooked with teflon too long and PFOA's have gone to your head!!

I gave up on non-stick after the warnings came out - when in doubt, throw it out.

Happy now with my tri-ply fully clad stainless steel. I know I'm safe and it has made me a better cook.

I purchased this set a month or so ago. I'm returning today because the handles are not stay-cool as they claim. I have burned my hands so many times on the handles that I have decided it is not worth it. It's a very nice set, but also very, very heavy.

They are easy to clean and, as advertised, can be used without oil or fat of any kind; however, if you do cook in this fashion, the food comes out looking rather anemic and bland.

My other concern with this set was the weight. A set like this, designed to last 40+ years, would eventually be too heavy for me, I think. I already find them quite heavy to work with and fear that as I grow older that the set would become unusable.

I have had the set now for probably 6 months...and I have noticed that the coating is bubbling and coming off of the bolts on the inside of the pan that attach the handles. I am going to contact the company and see what they can do. I do however love the pans...but I have to say it concerns me that this could be a generic teflon. I was told that they were approved for catering and were a different coating other than Teflon.

Starting on 1/7 the calphalon.com 12 piece set is $150.

Did you have the bubbles? If so, how was your experience with returning/replacing?

Purchased my set of the pans at the road show in a Costco in NO VA just prior to Christmas. Despite the puported savings, the $599 price took my breath away - have been cooking with a reliable Revereware stainless steel set of pots and pans (made in USA) that's lasted for 25 years plus the occasional Teflon coated frying pan. Thought that the considerable cost would be justified given the impressive demo and testimonial of product excellence. Having read the references to possible bubbling of the surface coating, the PTFE content, etc., am a little concerned that the pans may not be the lifelong cooking tools I had hoped they would be. Used one of the fry pans once and liked it very, very much. However, one of the main reasons that I purchased the pans (other than to eliminate health risks that may be associated with heated and peeling Teflon) is to be able to broil in them. Haven't had a chance during the work week to contact the consumer care tel number 262-626-2121 during the 0800-1530 hrs CST listed in my customer packet. The gentleman who demo-ed the product said that I can broil in them, but the literature that came with the pans stated that they were oven-safe up to 500 degrees. Does anyone know, please, if these are safe for broiling for short periods - 5 minutes or so? I love the look of the pans, the stay cool handles, and the over-all quality of this USA-made product, but want to better understand product limitations. Having opened the box and used the pan (with no evidence of product defect), I do plan to keep the pans. Appreciate all of the dialogue, perspectives, and information shared to-date by all.

i bought a set a year ago so far the coating came off the bottom of the medium sized pan if you over heat the pan it ruins it. the handles will burn the hell out of you. the coating is comming off the bolts that hold the handles on and the coating is peeling off the large pot. this stuff is junk im taking it backj to cosco.

Anyone compare to the Ameriware set?

:I visited Costco at Congress, Boca Raton, Fl last week. I came back last Monday for buy Masterclad induction promotion(699.99--11 pieces) and they were not there anymore.... Maybe somebody from Costco can tell me where the new showroom will take place. Thanks for the attention and care.

I just bought an 8" Masterclad pan from Costco and there is no mention anywhere on the box and no instructions as to seasoning it.
Also the sales demonstrator never said anything about seasoning the pan. Can you give some clarification as to how and how often
this must be done. Thank you!

You can get Alzheimer from lots of stuff. Ill get my Alzheimer from my vasectomy. True look it up ...

don't buy them. I bought the set last year from costco, and I really regret it. it's not worth the money spent. I would imagine it will be more durable since it's a five layers as they claim.. my sets start to stick even within several months. It's also very hard to maintain them too, a lot of cleaning work after cook. I am Asian, so I do cook a lot. But for $700, there are so much better choices than this!

You can't beat All-Clad. YES, it's pricey, but it's made to last (something rare in the marketplace today)... If you're close to Pittsburgh, PA, they have a 'Factory' sale twice a year(and it should be coming up in about 6 weeks), where you can get HUGE discounts. The stock they have is either 2nds (with very slight blemishes, or perhaps a logo stamped off-center - nothing that will affect its performance) or perhaps it's just overstocks or close outs...either way, you'll save a TON of money on the best cookware money can buy. Last winter's sale, I got around $900 retail worth of stuff for just under $200...no perceptable marks. They are starting to farm some of their manufacturing to China, so be choosy about which pieces you buy.

WillyWah said:   Its one of those roadshows that sets up for a while to promote it and then moves to another store to do the same. Definitely seems like good stuff...just a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

I read the title as "$300 for 12 pc set" and clicked on it thinking there was a better deal than the $599 price.

This is FAT WALLET. "You get what you pay for". Of course you DON'T always. You really believe that? Why are you here?

mrdjman said:   You can't beat All-Clad. YES, it's pricey, but it's made to last (something rare in the marketplace today)... If you're close to Pittsburgh, PA, they have a 'Factory' sale twice a year(and it should be coming up in about 6 weeks), where you can get HUGE discounts. The stock they have is either 2nds (with very slight blemishes, or perhaps a logo stamped off-center - nothing that will affect its performance) or perhaps it's just overstocks or close outs...either way, you'll save a TON of money on the best cookware money can buy. Last winter's sale, I got around $900 retail worth of stuff for just under $200...no perceptable marks. They are starting to farm some of their manufacturing to China, so be choosy about which pieces you buy.

Do you pay the sticker price on your car? $900 is the phony MSRP.

No, I don't pay sticker price on my car...but for the most part, look at the prices on Williams-Sonoma or anywhere else that sells All-Clad - it's much more expensive than the factory sale. You're not going to talk them down in price, and they aren't going to have to 'go talk to their boss' to get you a better price.

Were you born rude, or did you have to work at it all your life to be this proficient at it?

One thing I've never quite understood about FW is all of the people who are just out to shoot down deals or belittle other folks - guess to make themselves feel better. Didn't your mama hold you enough as a child?

I am *not* an idiot, but I was trying to give a helpful opinion - but that's all it is...MY opinion. If YOU don't like it...fine...I'm not asking you to. If you have something constructive or counter to what I've said - by all means...add to the conversation. Other than that...you're not making any value-added statements.

You quoted the "retail price" which NOBODY (possibly except you) actually pays. Foolish is as foolish does.

Apples & Oranges - you're talking about MSRP. I'm talking about the prices actually charged. My point stands that some folks (like, say, YOU), can't just see an offer of information - they have to one-up or belittle. You've just helped to prove that point.

Kids...don't let this happen to you.

I saw the demo at my local Costco and was curious. The sales guy went on and on about the dangers of Teflon. How everyone should throw it out and buy MASTERCLAD instead and how they used a ceramic and titanium coating instead, blah, blah. Knowing that virtually all non-stick cookware used PTFE, I asked him if MasterClad did, and he feigned ignorance. I noted that the written materials only stated PFOA-free, and that the 3-ply non-stick coating was reinforced with ceramic an titanium. It said nothing about what the actual non-stick third layer actually was. Well, I called the factory and, after much persistence, got them to admit that the non-stick coating is INDEED PTFE.

Whether PTFE is actually safe or not is another debate but like many, I prefer not to take the chance on it. But it's totally disingenuous and deceptive for the MASTERCLAD salesman to first try scare people away from Teflon-brand PTFE by enumerating its dangers, and then try to get them to buy MASTERCLAD as a "safe"/"green" alternative, when all its non-stick properties also come from PTFE. He intentionally conflated PFOA and PTFE numerous times, and stated the non-stick coating was nothing more than pure, "inert", ceramic and titanium. Furthermore, he stated that MASTERCLAD was a commercial/restaurant line of products from Regal Ware, when in fact MasterClad, Inc. is a separate company that merely contracts with Regal to manufacture cookware for them.

Their sales strategy seems to revolve around deceiving people into buying their "good" PTFE cookware as a replacement for existing "bad" PTFE cookware, where the only actual difference in the non-stick ingredient is the manufacturer and brand.

I'm really disappointed that Costco even allows such charlatans into their stores.

I highly appreciate the deep research on finding out the truth. I just bought some yesterday, and thanks to Costco's return policy, I will be taking them back today thanks to you. I so want something that is non-stick cook ware as Masterclad, but my priority is for it to be completely safe. Thank you so much, and let me encourage you, being that you are a type of persistent person and good at it. Make a stand to Costco, I don't believe they did a detailed research as you did. Most likely, MasterClad had one of they're sells people lie to them as well, like so many of us....they believed them too. Began a petition for Costco not to deal with them.

Thank you

Personally I think the name and packaging with copy All Clad is cheesy marketing trick to fool people. For a couple more bucks buy real All Clad, you will not be disappointed, though I would stay away from the non-stick items, it will not last a lifetime.

I totally disagree with all of you. This product is amazing. I have bought so many pots and pans within the last 10 years. Thought I had hit the jackpot when I could afford to buy the all clad, and then Calphalon, each a maintenance nightmare. When I bought masterclad, for the first time in 10 years, I did not have to soak my husband's oatmeal pan all day, and then scrub in the evening - 5 days a week. Nor did I have to the same for his omelets on Saturday and Sunday. One swift wipe, and they were clean. No soaking, no scrubbing. also don't have to use oil and/or butter when we are trying to eat healthy, although do for cooking for others for more taste. I love this product - end of sentence.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014