ThinkGeek Giveaway: 7 $100 Gift Cards

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • 11617 18 1920
  • Page
  • Text Only
Every day is my geekiest moment ... At my age (56) I still play video games , with most people in my circle of friends just think Iam too old to do such things (and they just dont get it???) But when I fix their (family/friends/clients) computers , they kinda get it after that , lol .

Going to a small sci fi convention and knowing most of the trivia.

My senior year in undergraduate. Built my first 4-bit computer from scratch. Programmed it in Assembly. Having the output come back in binary LED display. All on a 6x6 breadboard. Made a simple calculator and a clock from it. Had to know how to decipher numbers in binary pretty quickly at the time. What made it geeky was that it was really fun!

I started a rubber band ball in college. I still add to it from time to time.

When I tried to open the Swiss watch and broke it at the age of 9.

Tailgating at Weird Al concert with my extra large coffee, and doing the happy dance after beating everyone at Scrabble. Geekiest or dorkiest moment?

I went to a friend's house. He asked me "do you like an MAC?". I responded "I like PC better."

I told my girlfriend I was too busy to hang out. I really just wanted to spend the evening overclocking my computer.

My geek moment was a few years ago when I went to a tailor and had them build me a YIP YIP monster from Sesame Street suit. What's worse? My wife got one too and I have the whole thing on YouTube. PM for the film. The dog thinks we're geeks. He is right!

buying 3 TVs for 1 living room to watch a lot of football at once!

Having to explain why I've got a notebook attached to a tv in the bathroom probably covers it.

Running the Atari 2600 Adventure cartridge for the first time in 30 years. I came to the first maze to the left of the gold castle and thought, oh yeah, I'm going to have to figure this out again... then watched as my hand pushed me through without a pause or bump into a wall. Like riding a bike!

My geekiest moment was when I heard the joke "A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'" and had to share it with all my friends.

One time, while playing D&D with my friends, my buddy David made me laugh so hard that I spit diet coke all over him. A completely uncontrolled geyser from my mouth directly at his face. Seriously, he was soaked with fizzy cola spit. Needless to say, he wasn't laughing. But everyone else was.

I have geeky moments everyday, because I am a scientist. And doing something like explaining how a zipper works to someone who doesn't care is one surefire way to show you are a geek.

wrote my first game in basic when I was 10

My friend needs a keyboard and I took out a brand new PS/2 keyboard.

Raiding my bank account to buy a Sinclair ZX80 only to return it three days later for a refund cause I got bored with it. Mom and dad were extremely angry at my purchase and were happy to hear that it was going back. Oh yea, I was 7 years old at the time….

when I put those stickers meant to represent your family on a car rear window with figures that looked like star wars characters

I wear a star trek badge often

I actually own a replica star wars lightsaber, and keep it mounted on the shelf above my tv.

when my husband tried to switch the tags on my son's Christmas gift so HE could have the resistance is futile if ohm is > 1 tshirt, only relenting when he got his own DAD shirt written in binary

Definitely the early days of Fatwallet and our first Black Friday together...

The geekiest I got was when I dated a real techie..

In 5th grade, I stole my brother's remote-controlled toy truck, attached sponges around the perimeters, and called it the "Clean-O-Matic" as a solution for my chore of cleaning the kitchen floor.

Upgrading the CPU on an Iopener (from 200 MHz to 450 MHz), which also required "de-gooping" the bios chip.
They had purposely glued over the bios chip to try and prevent modifications.
Ended up paying about $100 to an Iopener expert to finish the bios flash.

my geekiest moment is buying my then-girlfriend, now-wife, a shirt from ThinkGeek that read 'I my geek.'

Think Geek, Think Different!

using Fortran punch cards

I Tried to make a 24volt fan work on a 12volt computer!!

Early on in my computer career, before many of the FatWallet people were even born, a client called me with a problem with their spreadsheet program. They had just started using it, and it appeared as if it wasn't doing any of the calculations correctly. I spoke on the phone with the client for a bit of time before I ventured the question, "Where on your keyboard is the "1" (the number one) that you are using?"

A pause and then they responded, as if I was the biggest idiot in the world, "Why, just right of the "K" on the keyboard."

You see, children, in those days, typewriters ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter ) usually didn't have the number one on the keyboard, so people used a lower case "L" instead.

Favorite geek moment... hmmm, winnning $100 to think geek would be up there.

Bragged about my FW achievements to my wife... O_o

Dressed up as that Z shaped tetris block for halloween...

Introducing a friend to the ThinkGeek website and watching his eyes glaze over with wonder. It was a wonderful geek initiation rite.

betamax

President of the stamp club in high school

Back in High School, I was in the chess club, and people used to make fun of me. But I was the only girl in the top ten in the club! I was proud of that.

I'm the IT guy at work - 'nuf said!

I wore a pocket protector in high school.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014