Error

The message you are trying to link to is not in this topic.

• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
In store Best Buy has the Amazon Kindle with keyboard that has Wifi and free 3G service (includes special offers). This is still $139 on Amazon directly.

Member Summary

Amazon Kindle Keyboard with 3G and Wifi
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer

classic!
Thanks coolbreeze
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Checked the Kindle Keyboard 3G out at Best Buy on Tuesday afternoon after already ordering a Nook through Target with co... (more)

DirtCheapDad (Nov. 23, 2011 @ 10:04p) |

I would like to buy this for a relative in Germany. The 3G keyboard Kindle runs 159 Euros there. Does anybody know if th... (more)

enc0re (Nov. 23, 2011 @ 10:24p) |

Yes, the 3G works in Germany. I travel a LOT and this Kindle really comes in handy when I'm on the road and not in my ho... (more)

Klingsor (Nov. 23, 2011 @ 10:55p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This looks like an awesome deal. If I don't necessarily care about the Touch features, am I missing anything else? Was considering just getting the basic Kindle but this has larger capacity and battery life + 3G for only $10 more (+tax, so more like $18 more)

Little more research has most people saying skip the keyboard. Size/weight being the biggest factors, although they were mostly suggesting the Kindle Touch as the better alternative than the basic Kindle. Guess I'm going to have to pop by Best Buy and take a look at these to see which one I like more. Apparently the free 3G in the new ones will not work for web browsing, while in this Kindle Keyboard you can use the free 3G for that (although it's apparently very slow, clunky, etc.)

Is this a sale item? I don't see any dates - not sure how quickly I need to get over to BB.

Thanks to OP. I scored one from Sunnyvale,CA store. They are flying off from the store crazy.

Looks like an everyday price.

I absolutely love my 3g keyboard SO Kindle. Much preferred over the non-keyboard model. It's the first time in my life I haven't felt compelled to upgrade...great price!

The Best Buy ad says 4 days only. Regular price is $139. I brought the ad into OfficeMax and was able to do a price match and pay with my OfficeMax rewards! Should be able to the same at Staples too, if you have rewards there. Make sure it says 3G on box, at OfficeMax they gave me the Kindle with no 3D without special offers by mistake, Which happens to be the same $139 (regular price)for the 3G with special offers.

This is 4 days only. Gray color only. Girlfriend got Target to PM for the white version because ad does not specify color, though it does specify one SKU. YMMV on getting a white one.

thx op in 4 1. just in time...

Thanks my friend and I each picked one up. Great deal.

DirtCheapDad said:   This looks like an awesome deal. If I don't necessarily care about the Touch features, am I missing anything else? Was considering just getting the basic Kindle but this has larger capacity and battery life + 3G for only $10 more (+tax, so more like $18 more)

Little more research has most people saying skip the keyboard. Size/weight being the biggest factors, although they were mostly suggesting the Kindle Touch as the better alternative than the basic Kindle. Guess I'm going to have to pop by Best Buy and take a look at these to see which one I like more. Apparently the free 3G in the new ones will not work for web browsing, while in this Kindle Keyboard you can use the free 3G for that (although it's apparently very slow, clunky, etc.)

I adore my Kindle Keyboard 3G. The size/weight don't bother me at all, but then again I had the first generation Kindle so this one was actually lighter for me, hehe.

The 3G browser does work in a pinch. I was visiting relatives out of town and able to check on a couple of things even though they didn't have internet. Definitely slow and clunky, but it does work (and not nearly as horrible to navigate as the first generation browser).

I prefer keyboards over touchscreens anyway (even my phone has a qwerty keyboard) and this is a great price for a 3G Kindle.

Fatgazer said:   The Best Buy ad says 4 days only. Regular price is $139. I brought the ad into OfficeMax and was able to do a price match and pay with my OfficeMax rewards! Should be able to the same at Staples too, if you have rewards there. Make sure it says 3G on box, at OfficeMax they gave me the Kindle with no 3D without special offers by mistake, Which happens to be the same $139 (regular price)for the 3G with special offers.

Did the same thing, except went to OfficeDepot and paid with OD rewards.
They ran out of Kindle keyboard 3G, so they had to order from regional warehouse with free home delivery.
Price match to BB was easy using the BB flyer.
Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you for the head's up. Office Max and Office Depot both had them in stock and price matched.

Got one at BB, thanks OP! I was thinking of getting the base level one but couldn't resist for just $10 more. Keypad and larger battery are the biggest pluses for me. Size and weight are the negatives. So international 3G with the experimental browser sold me on it in the end as I have a short attention span...

I bought one to give as a holiday gift on Saturday at Staples, for $139 using $58 in ink rewards. Went in on Sunday after seeing the ad and they price matched. Great deal! I've had the Kindle with keyboard for about a year and love it! Great deal!

This is not flying off the shelf as you would think, available everywhere. Any thought?

Jenibe2000 said:   The 3G browser does work in a pinch. I was visiting relatives out of town and able to check on a couple of things even though they didn't have internet. Definitely slow and clunky, but it does work (and not nearly as horrible to navigate as the first generation browser).

I'm trying to understand how the 3G works in Kindle.... Does Amazon contract with a wireless provider like ATT, VZ to get the 3G to work? Will the 3G feature work outside the USA?

yurs said:   I buy Kindle yesterday
Very happy!

Well it's a nice tool to learn English with so enjoy!

vaduvur said:   Jenibe2000 said:   The 3G browser does work in a pinch. I was visiting relatives out of town and able to check on a couple of things even though they didn't have internet. Definitely slow and clunky, but it does work (and not nearly as horrible to navigate as the first generation browser).

I'm trying to understand how the 3G works in Kindle.... Does Amazon contract with a wireless provider like ATT, VZ to get the 3G to work? Will the 3G feature work outside the USA?
Yes and yes. On all other 3G kindles, you have unlimited free access to the Kindle Store via 3G, anywhere in the world (that has 3G). On this keyboard + 3G version only, you have the additional benefit of being able to use the experimental browser (a rudimentary internet browser) over the 3G network as well, again anywhere in the world.

Picked up 2 of them today for $89 at Target.

Target is stocked up on these for their black Friday sale. They price matched no problem with a copy of the ad. I would think Target is THE place to get a pricematch easy since it will be that price anyway for THEIR sale in a couple days.

Picked up one with a price match at Staples, no questions asked. Great deal!

Picked one up from Target. Thanks OP!

Yuyak said:   Yes and yes. On all other 3G kindles, you have unlimited free access to the Kindle Store via 3G, anywhere in the world (that has 3G). On this keyboard + 3G version only, you have the additional benefit of being able to use the experimental browser (a rudimentary internet browser) over the 3G network as well, again anywhere in the world.

Great, thanks.

1. How rudimentary is the browser? Like what Netscape 3.0 used to be, in 1999?

2. Is the use of the experimental browser free and unlimited, all over the world (provided 3G is available)? I'm trying to evaluate it for use in India.

This remains the best Kindle, in my opinion. Comfortable to hold, I find that I actually use the keyboard for searching (and occasional note taking), love the screen, and the 3G really is useful for syncing books between multiple devices when I'm on a train or not otherwise near wifi.

The browser is rudimentary, yes, though I have used it to check my gmail when I was literally in the middle of the woods and didn't have my phone with me. Granted, that was a pretty rare scenario. I wouldn't buy this thinking you're going to use it to surf the web, but it definitely does work in a pinch.

And the wifi is indeed global.

thanks OP - Got a price match at Staples.
After Tax and Rewards it came to $60.

vaduvur said:   1. How rudimentary is the browser? Like what Netscape 3.0 used to be, in 1999? Think of it this way: the kindle is a device that was designed to be an ebook reader. That means that it has a fairly slow processor, your input method is limited to a keyboard and direction pad (ie no mouse, no touchscreen), and of course it's black & white. If you want to do multimedia (games, movies, etc) it will not work. If you want to surf around the web, it's possible, but you'll be very frustrated by how slow it is. If you want to check your email or find the address of your hotel while traveling and don't want to stop at an internet cafe... or you want to read the NYTimes.com or check Fatwallet.com during your train commute... then this will be fine.

Don't expect it be a legitimate alternative to a tablet or a smartphone. It's just a handy feature in certain situations.

vaduvur said:   2. Is the use of the experimental browser free and unlimited, all over the world (provided 3G is available)? I'm trying to evaluate it for use in India. For this Kindle Keyboard + 3G, yes. Free, unlimited 3G access anywhere in the world (with 3G).

Thanks OP, green for you. I got one from the Best Buy in Allen, TX (I'm on the road).

It's not flying off the shelves for some reason?!! I guess everyone is interested in the newer Kindles (4th gen) or tablets like Fire/Nook Color, etc.
Or they're expecting an awesome Black friday deal for one. I didn't want to chance it.

The 3G coverage on 3rd gen is more advantageous than on the newer 4th gen since it allows experimental browser usage over 3G, worldwide which went awa with the 4th gen (new Kindles). My wife has a Kindle 3 keyboard with wifi only and I'll say that I've only had mine for a day and the 3G avantage is GREAT!!!!

If you're looking for cases:
#1: BK Genuine Leather case from eBay, $16.99 FS
I got this for my wife last December and the cover looks perfect after 11 months. I like the fact that the magnetic flap is on the TOP and not at the bottom next to the right-side buttons, so it does not get in the way of the buttons as much. It's also genuine leather, does not obstruct any buttons/ports and the seller has it in different colors (we got black).

#2: Acase genuine leather flip case with stand positions from Amazon, $14.79 + tax(?) + shipping (free w/ Prime or for > $25 orders)
I didn't want to get the same case as my wife, otherwise we'd mix the Kindles up.
I liked the idea of being able to prop it for handsfree operation (like on a table, lounging by poolside, etc) so I decided to give this a try.
I know it's not as clean as the #1 I linked above but oh well, why not. Hope I like it.
Found a decent youtube video of it which convinced me to give it a go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUnYsFwkQqw

If you're looking for reading lights:
#1: Belkin Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle from Amazon, $24.99+ tax(?) + shipping (free w/ Prime or for > $25 orders)
I haven't gotten this personally but reviews seem good and it takes AAA vs the coin batteries, has two output settings. It was on sale some time back for 1/2 price, I'm holding off hoping to find it cheap. $25 is a lot of $$$ for a light IMO.

Have fun. Hope this helps someone.

Best Buy is cleaned out of these but got Target to price match--thanks for the idea! Today is last day of the sale.

with this deal you dont really have the time to back and forth on "I don't like this feature and I don't like that feature". DirtCheapDad said:   This looks like an awesome deal. If I don't necessarily care about the Touch features, am I missing anything else? Was considering just getting the basic Kindle but this has larger capacity and battery life + 3G for only $10 more (+tax, so more like $18 more)

DirtCheapDad said:   This looks like an awesome deal. If I don't necessarily care about the Touch features, am I missing anything else? Was considering just getting the basic Kindle but this has larger capacity and battery life + 3G for only $10 more (+tax, so more like $18 more)

I don't get why you are saying $18 more? Tax on $10 more is not $8.

Ok nevermind. I guess you are referring to if you bought the $79 one off Amazon.

Somehow don't like it as much as I thought I would be. Book is a form of art, the types, layouts and all the beauty are now reduced to lumps of chars. All be it sharp and pleasant, still looks like lumps of alphabets.

Would it be fair to return it simply because I don't like? Maybe DX is the way to go.

Checked the Kindle Keyboard 3G out at Best Buy on Tuesday afternoon after already ordering a Nook through Target with coupons/gift card (brings Nook Simple Touch price down to $59 after tax+shipping). They had the Nook Simple Touch sitting right next to it along with a couple other Kindles. I have to say that the size and weight of the Kindle Keyboard make the Kindle a little larger and less comfortable to hold compared to the Nook or non-keyboard Kindle. Just my opinion, but certainly a great deal and before I got the super deal on the Nook I was already plannign to buy the basic Kindle.

My next purchase/upgrade of an eready will probably be a tablet of some sort (next edition of Kindle Fire or Nook Color, most likely) and this will just be used as the simple, good ereader it is most of its life, so I'm happy. Hopefully Amazon delivers on the rumors of what people were hoping for from the Fire - a dual eInk/LED display.

I would like to buy this for a relative in Germany. The 3G keyboard Kindle runs 159 Euros there. Does anybody know if the 3G would work there (I believe it does)? And more importantly if it can be linked to a German Amazon.de account to buy German books (I don't know about that)?

Yes, the 3G works in Germany. I travel a LOT and this Kindle really comes in handy when I'm on the road and not in my hotel. This last week I was in Indonesia, France and Japan, and I got a great signal everywhere - even on a boat going between two Indonesian islands. Of course this is not the ideal internet browsing machine. It's slow and the screen is made for viewing text. I like to read the newspaper while abroad, and this device is perfect for that. Or sometimes I need to read or respond to email in the middle of the day, again perfect. Last minute desperate hotel or car booking, check. Facebook, check. I can't tell you how many times this feature has come in handy.

Here's a map of worldwide coverage for this device - MAP

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014