• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Olio Carli Olive Oil: 6 half liter bottles (17 oz). Half price at $29.99 plus Shipping and handling at $9.99.
The oil sells for $59.99 on their site.

Got this offer in the mail. Iíve had the oil before and loved it. Good deal at this price.

http://www.myoliocarli.com/winter/. You can call toll free 1-866-259-3165. You will need a Promotion code, and the one I got was KL9.

Member Summary

Olio Carli
Thanks HappyCamper08
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So what makes this olive oil better then the 3L jug I can pick up at sams for $16? Not TC, just want to know is this worth an extra $24?

Not familiar with the Samís oil. Just know that based on my sampling of other oils this is a very good one, and the price is better than most.

Oops, this time shipping is not free. $9.99 for me. I'll probably pass.

scrouds said:   So what makes this olive oil better then the 3L jug I can pick up at sams for $16? Not TC, just want to know is this worth an extra $24?Olive oil descriptions/quality/consistency is not regulated in the U.S., so manufacturers can claim pretty much anything. Having said that, for the same label and claims, you can expect the same oil in the 17 oz. bottle as in the 3L tin (or other sizes).
While it is not easy to determine value in the real world based on price/size/claim, the big-box stores do most of the work for us, Costco being much better at it than the other two. Costco also carries the Berio brand, which I can frequently find cheaper at Shoprite and such. When I do, I stock up. I am more than satisfied with it.
I still have a constant quest for better value, and am always willing to try other brands when "the price is right". Well, the price may have been right, but the value hasn't been. Mostly if they are cheap, they are diluted, or not processed right, or any of a multiple of shortcomings.

Please note that I am not saying that Berio is the best out there. Rather, it's the best value. Top quality at a reasonable price. Deviate at your own peril.

Olive oil varies wildly in quality and taste and in general you really do get what you pay for.

In Cooks Illustrated blind taste tests none of the Berio varieties fared very well with Columela, Lucini and Colavita topping their list.

For uses where the taste of the oil itself is not front and center (dipping/drizzling/vinaigrette) most of the folks on ChowHound (popular forum with chefs and gourmands) agree that the Whole Foods house brand Everyday 365 is an excellent value for the quality when bought in the largest size. (large tin like the Berio mentioned earlier)

The Olio Carli is an excellent oil, dated by batch, and far fresher than almost any major volume exported oil we get here in the states for less than premium prices. There are plenty more details on their site as to what separates their oil from many other commercial brands.

At $30 this is a fantastic deal it is indeed worth waiting for it to come back again with free shipping. It's offered at this price pretty regularly. I ordered mine Oct. 5th, and saw it offered at least once more since then w/ free shipping.

Perhaps I should have added that my primary use is for cooking.

NuMystic has added some very useful info and insight.

For cooking, use the right grade of olive oil. EVOO is not a good choice for high temperature cooking. It is OK for low temp saute, but not in your wok. Best for direct consumption, though.

Well thanks for the input. I think I'll wait for it to hit 30 and try it out. I wonder if its worth stocking 2 types in my kitchen, one for the frying pan (where you lose flavor anyways) and one for raw work.

It is.
As long as you keep your cooking temperature low, you should use olive oil if you can afford it. The higher the 'virginity' of the oil, the lower the heat needs to be, otherwise it will burn and release carcinogens which are actually harmful to you. As you go up the temperature ladder, you can use canola, corn, vegetable, and finally peanut. Peanut oil is good for you, and can withstand high heat. But very expensive!
Use the olive oil raw whenever possible, and substitute for all kinds of fat until you develop a taste for the substitution. The more you indulge in it, the better for you.

i never use extra virgin olive oil for cooking. eat it raw as bread dipping or making salad dressings. this come out to $6.66/bottle with shipping, not much cheaper than regular stores and this is at half price. i tried the central market brand of extra virgin for $6.99 and loves it. so buying 6 bottles at the same time might be too many if you don't use extra virgin olive oil much. it will be a waste and dangerous if you use them to cook too.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014