Iphone 4s 32 GB for USD 274
Iphone 4s 64GB for USD 374

These prices are with a contract.

Member Summary

Iphone 4s (21.92kB)
Thanks Divot101
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You're not comparing equally. $10/month prepaid doesn't include data and hardly any minutes or texts. Personally, with... (more)

jmophotos (Nov. 27, 2011 @ 4:54p) |

I suggest buying it at WalMart, price matching it. I bought 2 iphones already in WalMart and they based the tax on the ... (more)

hababurati (Nov. 30, 2011 @ 11:00p) |

I call BS. When I bought my iphone last year. I pay taxes on the retail price of the phone then -200,300 depending on t... (more)

OrionTHX (Dec. 01, 2011 @ 12:20a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

tax on list price or sale price in CA?

Frys only carries them for Verizon and AT&T.

In store only? No Fry's near us...

PortAh said:   tax on list price or sale price in CA?

Nothing can be taxed at a price that is different than what is being payed.

$400 WITH contract for a phone....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

opathal said:   $400 WITH contract for a phone....LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Why are you giving the op red? There are NEVER ANY deals on iphones unless they're refurb. It's not the op's fault apple's phones are expensive.

You don't like it, go buy something else.

Solid deal.

jmophotos said:   PortAh said:   tax on list price or sale price in CA?

idk? best buy charge tax on the retail value of any phone. they also have some printed statement saying that its some kind of law in CA.

but frys don't carry Sprint phones?

The retail value is what you're paying with a contract. They can't charge you tax on the unsubsidized price unless of course you are buying an unsubsidized phone. I've purchased this at Best Buy before and been charged tax on $199. It should ring up as though you have a coupon thus the tax would be on the post coupon amount like any other coupon purchase. If someone told you otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about.

5% savings on a 32GB phone isn't worthy calling a "solid deal" though I admit it does atleast help cover slightly over 50% of the sales tax..
And for apple not giving any credit, they know apple fanboys don't really care about price..

This is not bad if you are looking for iPhone 4S.
$400 is not bad for a phone that is also a great camera plus enough space to carry my whole music library.
Don't get upset others can afford it.
Don't worry plenty of 1 cent Android deals out there for you.

CA one of few states that bases sales tax on unsubsidized price.
I have bought from Verizon, AT&T, & Apple and always pay tax on the full price.
It's crap but what can we do.
Hey it's going to be 80F tomorrow.
It's the weather tax.

I'm in CA and purchased my last iphone from BB & did not pay sales tax on the unsubsidized price.

Unfortunatly I support 150+ phones at work but we can only go through corporate stores.
The Apple Store Purchase was personal and they did same. Next time I will try BB. Nice tip.

rameshms said:   5% savings on a 32GB phone isn't worthy calling a "solid deal" though I admit it does atleast help cover slightly over 50% of the sales tax..
And for apple not giving any credit, they know apple fanboys don't really care about price..

The deal is for all 3. The lowest model is the best deal if that's what you're looking for. If that doesn't serve your needs, oh well. The point is ANY amount off a phone, especially 13% (for the 16gb), is good on a product that never gets discounted AT ALL. Apple strictly controls what resellers sell their products for. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you must complain, complain to Apple.

Not a fanboy, just living in reality. If you don't want an iphone, don't get one. Just move on. But for those who do, this is good considering there is usually NOTHING off, EVER.

Got it?

I bought phone twice from best buy in CA and have always been charged tax on the full price of the phone. then i asked why I'm being charged for the full price and not the sales prices they point me to this 5-10 page CA law about sales tax on phones. Maybe i just have bad luck or they are ripping me off.

ArainLA said:   Unfortunatly I support 150+ phones at work but we can only go through corporate stores.
The Apple Store Purchase was personal and they did same. Next time I will try BB. Nice tip.

I'm not sure it's a "tip" just that I didn't have to pay that last time. ymmv

ArainLA said:   

$400 is not bad for a phone that is also a great camera plus enough space to carry my whole music library.

It's the weather tax.

$400 ON CONTRACT for a phone is ridiculous. Just like $900 for a tablet is the same. It has nothing to do with who can afford what.......like $400 is a lot of money give me a break. It just happens to be a WASTE of money for a cell phone that locks you into a 2yr contract to boot.

Have over year for iPhone 4 contract to end.
But have a friend who did get his iPhone 4 from BB and he went back last week knowing he was not up to renew but BB somehow thought he was eligible.
He got 4S and sold the iPhone 4 at $300 and covered most of cost to upgrade to iPhone 4S.
Wonder if BB just more prone to making
mistakes.

Some people spend $120,000 on a car.
Some may call that ridiculous but to the owner it's worth it not ridiculous.
May not be perfect analogy but close.
And I did spend almost $800 on a iPad 2 and gave my kid my iPad 1.
Very happy about that decision too.
A Mac I won't buy since Windows is my bread and butter.
I also have a Windows phone 7 I bought unsubsidized. I enjoy it and would never ridicule you for any weird expensive hobby or following you keep yourself busy with.

As far as locking me in for 2 years.
I've been happy with AT&T so I don't mind being in the contract.

opathal said:   ArainLA said:   

It's the weather tax.

$400 ON CONTRACT for a phone is ridiculous. Just like $900 for a tablet is the same. It has nothing to do with who can afford what.......like $400 is a lot of money give me a break. It just happens to be a WASTE of money for a cell phone that locks you into a 2yr contract to boot.

So what are you arguing about? That is what it is. No need to thread crap, you're not going to change anybody's mind about what they want. Just move on.

That was the point. For people who want this and agree to pay for it, this is the best deal they're going to get because there are NO DEALS.

nm

You have a choice to buy any product you want. This isn't a monopoly. If Apple were the only company making a smartphone and no one else was allowed to make one that would be a monopoly. You don't like this manufacturer's policy, no problem. Don't buy it. Other people want this product and are willing to pay the asking price. In this case, they're getting a little break. Instead of passing over a thread about a product you clearly aren't interested in, you chose to be a troll & thread crap. I guess you have plenty of time on your hands.

It's none of your damn business how people spend their money.

With Apple all bargains are tiny it seems. You can't compare the PC deals with Apple , so called deals. But it's the best you can do so if you are buying one of their products you get happy for saving $41 on a iPad 2.

Sorry to drag this out. We could go on forever.
I didn't mean to instigate anything. Hope you had a good black Friday. I only bought a shop vac so economy can't thank me.

Anyone know if this works for current lines out of contract?

Kunai said:   Anyone know if this works for current lines out of contract?

Yes, it will be considered an "upgrade" and you will be forced to enter a new 2 year contract. You can retain your current plan & rates* (like if you have ATT w/ unlimited data you can keep that) but you will be under contract locked in like before.

EDIT: * I'm assuming your current plan is for a smartphone or previous gen iphone. If it isn't, then you will have to add data plans and obv your rates will change. i.e. If you're with ATT & you have an old iphone, you can keep everything the same if you want, and just sign a new 2 year term and get the new phone for the advertised price.

CA charges sales tax on the full unsubsidized price calculated as:

•The sales price the retailer typically charges for the cell phone without requiring the purchase of a service contract, or

•The fair retail selling price (if the above cannot be established by the seller’s records).

See BOE Pulication 120 http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub120.pdf

ArainLA said:   Some people spend $120,000 on a car.
Some may call that ridiculous but to the owner it's worth it not ridiculous.
May not be perfect analogy but close.
And I did spend almost $800 on a iPad 2 and gave my kid my iPad 1.
Very happy about that decision too.
A Mac I won't buy since Windows is my bread and butter.
I also have a Windows phone 7 I bought unsubsidized. I enjoy it and would never ridicule you for any weird expensive hobby or following you keep yourself busy with.

As far as locking me in for 2 years.
I've been happy with AT&T so I don't mind being in the contract.

Perhaps the most important aspect of how much one spends on an item is more personal and often times oblivious to the distant observer. It has to do with priorities and affordability. If getting a car for 100K is high up on your priority list and you can comfortably afford it, that is, if you won't ruin your finances by purchasing it, who am I to complain?

jmophotos said:   I'm in CA and purchased my last iphone from BB & did not pay sales tax on the unsubsidized price.theres some loophole in the ca tax law on phones where it depends on the store and how they mark the discount. at least, thats my assumption b/c i bought from the Company Store once and was charged tax on full amount, but then the last couple of times ive gone to bb and only paid tax on the final price of the phone. i cant tell you what the tax will be at frys though, but i would assume it would be similar to bb.

Bought 4 4s at $174 at BB. I used the Fry's special for price matching. Thanks OP!

I'm waiting for the December release of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

red2082 said:   Bought 4 4s at $174 at BB. I used the Fry's special for price matching. Thanks OP!

If you bought in CA, was tax on list or advertised contract price?

TIA

Bought AZ. Fry's special is over but you can still price match with WalMart's price ($188). Not a big difference but I would still go with BB. They have AT&T and Verizon agents at the spot to answer any questions regarding your renewal. This is particularly useful if you are buying 4 iPhones or upgrading/adding 4 lines. For example, an employee at WalMart told me that my plan couldn't be grandfathered in. This is the time when you head for the doors and want someone that actually is trained for this. I had no issues at BB.

One more piece of advice. I would forgo the "black tie" warranty of Best Buy. Do a little research and if you want/need an extended warranty, consider Applecare first.

Squonk said:   I'm waiting for the December release of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

If you're willing to spend $750 for an unlocked one, you can get it today at http://www.expansys-usa.com/google-nexus-prime-android-smartphon...

assume 70 / month on the service, 2 years contract = 1680 + 174 phone = clost to 1900 in debt for the next 2 years. isn't it be cheaper just get unlock iphone 750 + average 10 /month on the prepaid?

What are you gonna get for $10 a month?

I avoided contracts for 8 years. I was on month to month with AT&T the whole time, paying somewhere just under $50 a month for just voice. I swore I would never have another contract. But then I thought about. Why? I can either pay full price for the phone or get a subsidized phone by merely staying with them. I have not switched cell companies in 18 years. Sure the name has changed, but I never left. I finally got tired of buying garbage go-phones whenever they crapped out. I broke down and bought a iphone 4.

jayjay3636 said:   assume 70 / month on the service, 2 years contract = 1680 + 174 phone = clost to 1900 in debt for the next 2 years. isn't it be cheaper just get unlock iphone 750 + average 10 /month on the prepaid?

You're not comparing equally. $10/month prepaid doesn't include data and hardly any minutes or texts. Personally, without a data plan, there is no purpose to a smartphone. The times you really need it, you will never be anywhere near a wifi connection.

I suggest buying it at WalMart, price matching it. I bought 2 iphones already in WalMart and they based the tax on the selling price, not the full price.

jmophotos said:   PortAh said:   tax on list price or sale price in CA?

I call BS. When I bought my iphone last year. I pay taxes on the retail price of the phone then -200,300 depending on the model you buy

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014