• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Coby 7" Kyros™ Android 2.3 Touchscreen Tablet

Text

(Model:MID7012)

Coby 7" Kyros™ 4GB Android 2.3 Touchscreen Tablet

PRODUCT QUESTIONS

Connect to the world through the touch of a fingertip. The Kyros™ Tablet is a powerful and flexible Internet and Entertainment solution that features a generous 7" screen with intuitive touchscreen controls powered by the Android™ 2.3 operating system. Browse the web wirelessly or enjoy media on a sleek and stylish media device.

This product may be available for: CHECK AVAILABILITY
Delivery, Shipping, In-Store Pickup, Ship to Store

Specifications

Inputs and Outputs

Headphone output: None

S-video output: None

USB 2.0 ports: Yes

Product Dimensions and Weight

Depth: 0.59"

Height: 4.72"

Weight:

Width: 7.67"

Warranties

Labor warranty: One year

Parts warranty: One year

Key features

Battery type: Lithium Polymer battery

Built-in webcam: No

Digital media: microSD

Display: 7" display

HDMI output: No

Operating system: Android™ 2.3

Processor:

System memory: 4GB

Type of memory: Flash

Wireless networking: 802.11b/g

Member Summary

Coby MID7012
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ahhh~ in the land of so much surplus. will it easily go down to $50 by after xmas sale?

Wow they are really coming down in price. Maybe it makes sense to wait a few months?

This one doesn't sound too good. A cnet review says "The screen quality and touch responsiveness are awful; battery life is poor; the design is bulky; there's no Adobe Flash support; and Google's suite of mobile apps isn't included."

the mid7022 with capacitive multitouch is a better deal i think saw it for $140 somewhere. i had this tablet and it is clockmod/cm7 flashable although the stock rom with a minor market hack is usable too.

JamesD1343 said:   the mid7022 with capacitive multitouch is a better deal i think saw it for $140 somewhere. i had this tablet and it is clockmod/cm7 flashable although the stock rom with a minor market hack is usable too.

you might as well have wriitten this in Greek for me.
but thanks for those that speak and read this language.
LOL "mid7022 with capacitive multitouch"??

Have messed with these at work and honestly they aren't too bad. Mind you, this isn't exactly going to be an Ipad (or even Playbook or Touchpad) level power, but they're descent tablets for those who just want something to use as a leisure item.

I have one and it is OK if you want to use it as a short ereader or play a few games and facebook.

The touchscreen is not very good however.

If you search for android tablets on google you will find a forum on how to root it and install the google apps.

Coby left in the dialer.apk and it takes up all the battery life. If you root the tablet you can remove the apk.

DaysFan said:   JamesD1343 said:   the mid7022 with capacitive multitouch is a better deal i think saw it for $140 somewhere. i had this tablet and it is clockmod/cm7 flashable although the stock rom with a minor market hack is usable too.

you might as well have wriitten this in Greek for me.
but thanks for those that speak and read this language.
LOL "mid7022 with capacitive multitouch"??

Glossary of Common Android Tablet Terms:

Resistive: The lesser type of touch screen; You can only use one finger to select things, and it's not as sensitive, and is more prone to errors.

Capacitive: The better type of touch screen; You can use more than one finger ("multitouch"), allowing things like pinching a picture to zoom out, etc. They're more sensitive and precise, and there's less glare, which makes for a better picture.

IPS(or anything with IPS in the name): The best type of LCD screen on the market. Deeper blacks, richer colors, handles motion (movies) well.

TN: Another type of LCD display. Overall, not as good as an IPS display.

LED: A way of generating the light for an LCD screen...LED's are bright and produce an even white light, which generally results in a better picture for the same or lesser amount of power as other methods.

Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich: In order, from oldest to newest, the versions of the Android system put on the tablet. Generally, the newer the better.

Tegra II, Tegra III: Successive versions of the (current) top two video chipsets built into the more expensive Android tablets. These are what enable your games, movies, and other things you display on your tablet to look cool and run well. Although there are other chipsets that can do wonderful things for the lower priced tablets, if you're spending in excess of $200 on an android tablet this season, I'd say you should look for the Tegra II, or do some extra research to determine if the tablet in question is worth your money. The Tegra III will be out later, in such tablets as the $500 Asus Transformer Prime. Depending on your budget, you may wish to trade the ability to play back high resolution movies (Tegra 2 chipset), for example, for a better screen (IPS screen), or vice versa. A good example of this would be the Acer Iconia: It has a Tegra II video chipset, and is generally priced lower than similar tablets...but it doesn't have an IPS screen. As always, the best way to figure things out is to read reviews.

"Chinapad": Slang term used for cheap tablets (Herotab, SuperPad, Zenithink, etc.) from Chinese manufacturers and Chinese wholesale importers such as merimobiles. You can save a whole pile of money on one of these over the latest and greatest from Best Buy, etc., but buyer beware: They come with varying levels of performance from poor to decent, varying or non-existent manufacturer support in the US, and varying levels of application compatibility (no guarantees what they will do and what they won't when it comes to programs). Do consider if you are tech savvy and willing to tinker around with the operating system, etc., but DO NOT BUY if you want a great out-of-the-box experience with name-brand support and no fuss. Personally, I think that the tablet in question comes from a brand (Coby) that is a step above a Chinapad when it comes to support and user base, but it's a step below a name brand such as Asus or Sony when it comes to quality. You typically find Coby products at pharmacies and grocery stores, which should give you a few clues about where they sit in the market overall.

ClockMod/CM7: I suspect James meant "clockWorkMod", but these are just a way to put a new, modified version of android, usually tweaked for a particular model, on a tablet that didn't come with the software to begin with. These different versions of android come from software developers and tinkerers, are called funny names(Such as Cyanogen Mod 7, or "CM7"), and are usually freely available on the internet. They usually come with a bunch of pre-installed programs that are known to work for a given tablet, and they may do everything from overclock the tablet's processor to make it faster, to enable capabilities the tablet didn't have before. Getting the software on the tablet can be tricky...and because these mods change the default behavior of the device, putting them on your tablet may void the warranty. The "mod", or modification, if not installed properly to the right tablet, may "brick" your tablet (make it so you can't turn it on...hence the term "brick", as that is what it amounts to in this condition), void the warranty, or otherwise render it unusable, unsaleable, and un-returnable. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, AND NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE NOVICE.

Flash: The act of putting a software package (like CM7, above) on your tablet. It can refer to software from any source, including the manufacturer, but it usually involves replacement of the tablet's operating system. It's like putting a new version of Windows on a PC.

"Apps": Slang term for programs you get from the Android Market, Amazon Market, or other sources.

mid7022: The model number of the tablet James is talking about, above. In general, you can type a model and the word "review" in a Google search and find out all you need to know about that model.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014