• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Amazon has lowered the price on the Lodge Pro Logic Cast Irom Pizza 14" Pizza Pan - works even better then pizza stone and lasts forever. It's the lowest price for it according to camelcamelcamel.

link

Member Summary

Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan/Stone
Thanks duewrite
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank you nice find

121 Reviews, WOW Nice Reviews.

5 star: (110)
4 star: (6)
3 star: (2)
2 star: (1)
1 star: (2)

Thanks OP. Did not NEED one but my wife and I love to make pizza and home. Looks like this will be great.

I recently did lots of research (reading blogs online) and found a real FW way of making brick oven quality pizza. I was going to buy a pizza stone but they are pricey and reviews say they tend to crack. Plus I don't have cabinet space to store it in my apt.

I got a few unglazed quarry tiles from HD - less than 50 cents each, clean them up real good, and put on bottom rack of oven. Mine only took 4 6-in squares, so total was around 2 bucks. They work as good as pizza stones and I made awesome pizza the other day. I clean them up after use and just leave them inside the oven all the time. They help even out the temp in the oven anyway. In case you're concerned about the safety, make sure to get tiles with no glaze or additives, which tend to have lead or heavy mteals. The plain tiles are just earth packed together and heat dried.

Will this work well in a Big Green Egg at 750+ degrees like a pizza stone?

Thank you nice find

I have little experience with cast iron, but I'm very tempted to get this!

mmyk72 said:   I recently did lots of research (reading blogs online) and found a real FW way of making brick oven quality pizza. I was going to buy a pizza stone but they are pricey and reviews say they tend to crack. Plus I don't have cabinet space to store it in my apt.

I got a few unglazed quarry tiles from HD - less than 50 cents each, clean them up real good, and put on bottom rack of oven. Mine only took 4 6-in squares, so total was around 2 bucks. They work as good as pizza stones and I made awesome pizza the other day. I clean them up after use and just leave them inside the oven all the time. They help even out the temp in the oven anyway. In case you're concerned about the safety, make sure to get tiles with no glaze or additives, which tend to have lead or heavy mteals. The plain tiles are just earth packed together and heat dried.

Cool tip, thanks!

saltoricco said:   mmyk72 said:   I recently did lots of research (reading blogs online) and found a real FW way of making brick oven quality pizza. I was going to buy a pizza stone but they are pricey and reviews say they tend to crack. Plus I don't have cabinet space to store it in my apt.

Cool tip, thanks!

I leave at least 1 inch space on all sides of the oven. Turn the temp all the way up (450F +) and preheat for 15-30 min. Some people suggest 45-60 min, which may not be necessary. You can put the pizza directly on the tiles or use parchment paper under the pizza. The pizza comes right off and if anything drips on the tiles, you can just soak them in water and scrub lightly. Never use soap since people say the tile absorbs the soap and mess up the taste of everything you cook on it.

BTW, I was pretty tempted on the Cast Iron item posted by OP since it can be use for things other than pizza. BUT, the price is now much higher.

How big is the Lodge Pro Logic Cast Iron Pizza Pan?

"It's quite lodge"

Nice but I have an 18 inch stone from another fatwallet deal last year plus two smaller stones. If you use a stone correctly, it works great plus it cooks other things well too, french fries, nuggets, etc. Yes, I have three kids. A stone won't crack unless you use it incorrectly, I have a stone that is four years old, it's very black on top, no cracks. When they get a lot of oil in them like that nothing will stick no matter what, good for cookies too. If I didn't have stones I might get this, but there is no need to start over.

RedCelicaGT said:   How big is the Lodge Pro Logic Cast Iron Pizza Pan?

"It's quite lodge"

Picture Mark Wahlberg saying it?

Now showing $34.97?

How do you use a pizza peel since they but a lip on this thing. Seems like a poor design.

I'll stick with a stone.

Yeah, they are getting $5 more now.

If you have a stone just use a plastic scraper to scrape the stuff off, rinse under warm water. If you rinse while scrapping, it usually comes right off. Never use soap. Eventually the stone will be black on top except in the middle and almost nothing will stick to it.

coolbreeze said:   Will this work well in a Big Green Egg at 750+ degrees like a pizza stone?

I would not and would only use a stone. 750F is pretty hot for Cast Iron for this use. If you preheat the cast in the BGE like you should and then spill some liquid on it, you could end up with a very dangerous situation as the CI could break or shatter... possible catastrophically depending on how much liquid and the temps invovled.

I had passed along to me that you can clean a pizza stone as you would a cast iron pan, in the cleaning cycle of your oven...

...I've yet to try this, but it sounded correct and was from someone I trust, who collects cast iron.

Photowhit said:   I had passed along to me that you can clean a pizza stone as you would a cast iron pan, in the cleaning cycle of your oven...

...I've yet to try this, but it sounded correct and was from someone I trust, who collects cast iron.

I've done that with both cast iron pans (years ago, when I did something goofy to get them sticky) and pizza stones and it did get them both *completely* clean. By *completely*, I mean that it got all the unwanted stuff off, but also left them un-seasoned. I re-seasoned the cast iron and now it's much better than new, with the years of subsequent use.

I hadn't heard of any kind of seasoning for these pizza stones, though, so I just kept using that, scraping, rinsing, and re-self-cleaning it as needed with no degradation in performance that I could detect.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014