• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
whuzizname said:   zatires said:   Terrestrial radio has been free forever as well, but Pandora et al really can not match the flexibility of Sirius, and even for $90/year it is a great deal imo.

Actually, Pandora and its ilk are more flexible than satellite radio because you create your OWN radio station. Sat radio is very much like terrestrial radio in that you have to pick from whatever stations are available.

On Pandora I created a "Gregorian Chant" station. There is no way to do that on terrestrial or sat radio.

I know this is an apples/oranges comparison.

I never want to listen to "Gregorian Chant" hours and hours at a time

But different joy for different folks no doubt.

Yesterday on SiriusXM I heard the cover of "Stand By Me" by John Lennon and it was an amazing version, first time I heard it in my life, and I have been listening to this stuff for the last 30+ years.
I don't even think Pandora will have this song or play it at all with whatever channel I can create.
And today on the way to work I heard U2's cover of Everlasting Love, a song that I never ever heard on terrestrial radio or Pandora or any other online music service.
That is why the variety of content that a service like SiriusXM offers is not directly comparable to other music/radio services.

Just called, took a few hang ups and call backs to finally get a good Retention Employee who was willing to make a good deal. I went with the 5/$25 deal, and she did some adjustments to throw internet at half-off or less. I paid total $35 for the 5 months plus internet. That particular plan supposedly calls for a Credit card to be on file for auto-renewal, and I didn't question it the on the last employee because I had been going around and around with the other employees on it previously. I will just set up a Calender alert on my phone to call back on my renewal date to try to get the deal again.

Airiak - Appreciate the insider tips! I'll try the US number next month when my Stratus 6 subscription is up for renewal. I ended up buying a refurb Stratus 5 kit on sale cheap (with a 3 month subscription) at the end of last year when I thought I lost my S6 (but found it a couple weeks later). Had a bit of a hassle trying to cancel the S5 subscription w/o the $75 cancellation fee; but ended up getting a good 1 yr renewal deal for it. The S6 subscription ends next month, so I'll probably just cancel that one then. I have been using one hooked up to my home stereo and using the other in my car.

zatires said:   whuzizname said:   zatires said:   Terrestrial radio has been free forever as well, but Pandora et al really can not match the flexibility of Sirius, and even for $90/year it is a great deal imo.

Actually, Pandora and its ilk are more flexible than satellite radio because you create your OWN radio station. Sat radio is very much like terrestrial radio in that you have to pick from whatever stations are available.

On Pandora I created a "Gregorian Chant" station. There is no way to do that on terrestrial or sat radio.

I know this is an apples/oranges comparison.

I never want to listen to "Gregorian Chant" hours and hours at a time

But different joy for different folks no doubt.

Yesterday on SiriusXM I heard the cover of "Stand By Me" by John Lennon and it was an amazing version, first time I heard it in my life, and I have been listening to this stuff for the last 30+ years.
I don't even think Pandora will have this song or play it at all with whatever channel I can create.
And today on the way to work I heard U2's cover of Everlasting Love, a song that I never ever heard on terrestrial radio or Pandora or any other online music service.
That is why the variety of content that a service like SiriusXM offers is not directly comparable to other music/radio services.

I have it primarily for Opie and Anthony and Howard Stern. Yeah, I could (and used to) get my fill of "talk radio" from podcasts, but there is just something about O&A in particular that makes it worth the price for me. If my radio had more presets I might make more use of the music stations. Flipping through them all is kind of a pain. The Boneyard used to be my go-to before the SiriusXM folks thought it would be a smart idea to pay Ozzy (or more accurately Sharon) Osbourne to "run" the station.

Just wanted to report the rates are still the same for April 2012. I just renewed for the 1 yr plan @ 86.00/yr + 8.43 royalties + taxes = 108.59 total. Missed the bus and was charged 54.88 for 3 months once, so I always check my trusted FW Forums to info like this to save. Thanks so much airaik (and sorry your lost your job over it).

Renewed on 4.12.2012 ... first CSR's lowest offer was $120 and wasn't until I told him I wanted to cancel that I got transferred and was offered $95 + fees ($110 total) for 1-year term. They removed my credit card from file so it cannot be charged automatically next year.

Hubby just called and threatened to cancel. We went from the first CSR saying $15/mo, to acct retention immediately dropping to the promo rate of $7/mo for a year. Total cost was about $103 w/taxes & fees.

Just threatened to cancel and they kept offering me bogus deals and then the third offer they said 6 months 40.52 (that includes tax and fees) and includes internet. Couldnt resist 6 an change a month with internet access.

Just wanted to update as it looked like they were only giving me 5 and a half months on a 6 month plan because my billing cycle was off so I called and complained that I wasnt getting the true 6 months and they told me they couldnt change that but they would put a 10 dollar credit on my account so now it looks like i am getting a 5 month 20 day subscription with internet for 28.77. Thats almost 5 dollars a month..

I have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's and they expire on Oct 24th this year. I would like to get lifetime for a deal... any thoughts on that?

I might be wrong, but I don't think they offer lifetime subs any more.

What a great site! I just followed the above advice and saved $100. Isn't the Internet wonderful? My only additional advice is to get a Virtual Account Number for your credit card before you call (It's easy to do online, or call you credit card company). That takes care of any auto renewal problems, since the number can't be reused.

The problem with lifetime subscriptions is they can not be transferred from one vehicle to another. So if you sell or wreck your car, you're S-O-L. Better to get a lifetime sub on a portable unit that you can use in your car or at home. I believe you can transfer the sub to another portable unit up to 3 times if you need to (at least that's the way it was a few years ago when I looked into it for my XM portable).

Does any of the packages include the traffic/weather, as I use it often and they want to charge mw $40 extra for this

philbilly said:   Does any of the packages include the traffic/weather, as I use it often and they want to charge mw $40 extra for thisI always thought they were part of the basic package. I get it with my 5 months for $25 deal.

billrubin said:   philbilly said:   Does any of the packages include the traffic/weather, as I use it often and they want to charge mw $40 extra for thisI always thought they were part of the basic package. I get it with my 5 months for $25 deal.

Pretty sure phil means Travel Link which is separate from the weather and traffic channels. They are not included in the basic packages and you need to have a car that is compatible with the technology.

If thats the case, I have never seen them as part of any package deal, but last year when I went to renew my wife, there was an unadvertised promotion where I got Travel Link (did not include traffic, but wife didn't care about traffic) for free. I paid $72 for a year. That wouldn't have been a great price for radio service only, but since Travel Link is normally $24/year separately, I was happy with the total price of the bundle. This promotion was not available this year when I went to renew, but it didn't matter since my wife no longer cares about the service.

I didn't get much of a beef when I declined auto renew. Got 6 mos for $25 (plus about $3.50 in taxes/fees, etc).

It seems there's some deal there you can try for free.

Called and quickly (after got off hold) got the $86 deal. And since my old cc had expired, they will invoice me!

My sub expires in July. Can or should I even try and renew now a month early?

Just note that if someone wants to listen to Howard Stern, that is not included in "XM Select" package - $25 for 6 months promo. I added internet listening that was another $3.50 a month. Total was $51.83 after all the taxes and fees. To add Howard Stern it was another $10.72 for 6 months this changed the package from select to PREMIER.

I need the best suggestion/practice/price for a life member (Sirus) with in truck radio to transfer to another vehicle that isn't Sirus ready in truck radio.
Do I do a portiable radio? If so,,,suggestions for best one?
thanks!

Just called the sales dept and told them I wanted to cancel my subscription. The sales rep gave me 2 options 6mo/$25 + Tax or 1yr/86+tax. Obviously I opted for the 6mo/$25 promotion. Then the sales rep transferred me to the Customer Care Dept and they conformed my subscription for 6mo/25+tax. The only advice I would give anyone who calls is to be nice, if you get stuck with a 'rude' CSR on the phone. Simply hang up and call back. All together I was on the phone with them less than 10minutes.

Just got off the phone with US #. $104/12 mos total. Thanks Peeps.

got my annual renewal for $175.01... called to cancel, and they offered me the $86/yr + tax rate... $94... took it

My year trial subscription ended today. Called to renew, was on the phone for about 10 minutes. Rep first offered me some package for $199...I said I was looking for the $86/yr plan. She laughed and said "You're serious today, aren't you? Where did you hear about that?" I said I read about it, and she laughed again...then basically coaxed me to say that a friend told me about it. She said since I asked about it she had to offer it to me. $101.04/yr with tax and royalty fee. I then asked for no auto renewal. She chuckled again, but was a little hesitant about it. I said I could do that, but with a $2 invoice fee or something like that. I said okay, but had to correct her a few times when she tried to slip in the verbiage about the auto-renewal. Ultimately I got that, too. Didn't have to give them a credit card number at all. Seemed nice and easy....now the other car's free trial is up next month. Hopefully it's that easy again.

Just called Sirius 8/23/12 said I was going to cancel, got the $86 deal no hassle.

Is anyone still trying to get the internet radio added for free on the $86 (used to be $77) plan? I was able to get it about half a year ago after some slight arm twisting but don't see much mention of people asking/getting it lately.

I was just renewed for 5 months for $25 after my first 6 month renewal period ended. I noticed my credit card had been charged $107 for a six-month automatic renewal, and called the cancellation number for an explanation. The customer service rep was quite helpful, crediting the difference in the two plans back to my card, and even advised me how to remove the card from my account to stop the auto renewal process in the future.

jonsurose said:   ...and even advised me how to remove the card from my account to stop the auto renewal process in the future.

How do you do that?

Thanks so much for this info. I just renewed my radio premier package and it cost me $107.00 plus taxes and fees for a total of $133.82. The renewal bill I received was for $234.00! So glad I searched for deals first!!!

Why no Auto-Renewal? I could not get the Retention guy to remove it!! I asked at least 7-8 different ways.... Took me 30 minutes calling the US# but then was transferred to Retention Dept 888#. BUT...I was able to go from credit card on file monthly bill of $25.78 ($309.36/yr.) for TWO RADIOS (one not used much) to a 5 month/$25 per radio price = $10.97/mo. ($131.64/yr).....PLUS, threw in Internet Radio FREE!!

I'm very pleased but worried I won't be able to get deal again when my five months are up!!

Removed credit card on file, asked them to bill me, and confirmed no activation nor transfer fees also...

With just a few days to go on my 6 mo. new car/radio trial I received an offer letter for $95 for one year of SiriusXM Select. Called several numbers with no joy, then called the number on offer
and said a friend had the $86 rate and they offered that right away and even offered $107.94 for Premier. Couldn't get them to add internet for free though. After taxes those rates are $94.47
and $116.46 in WA.

I called and selected the prompt to cancel, got through to an agent and just told them I did not want to pay the auto renewal rate of $169.34, so she offered the 1yr half off, $86+ fees which came to a total of $98.83 for the year. I said yes I'll take it.

Called in to cancel and was offered 1 year at $94 and didn't feel like haggling so just took it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014