• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Depending on the price of the TV, it MAY be a better deal to buy your SquareTrade TV Warranty from COSTCO or COSTCO.COM (instead of Squaretrade.com directly):

TV's under $500: $29.99
TV's $500 - $1,000: $59.99
TV's over $1,000: $99.99


For those prices you get 3 years AND your SquareTrade warranty DOESN'T begin until AFTER your manufacturer's warranty runs out as opposed to running parallel like when you purchase on SquareTrade.com. Thus, your TV will have 1 yr manufacturer's warranty (typically) + 3 years SquareTrade warranty = 4 years warranty.

If you buy your TV from Costco, you get 1 year from Costco free AND your SquareTrade warranty DOESN'T begin until AFTER that coverage ends. Thus, your TV will have 1 yr manufacturer's warranty (typically) + 1 year Costco extended warranty + 3 years SquareTrade warranty = 5 years warranty.

In comparison, buying TV warranties directly from SquareTrade will give you less years (only 3 years total since warranties run parallel to manufacturer's warranty), and typically are more expensive (especially if your TV is $1,000 or more).


3 Years (For TVs Under $500)

3 Years (For TVs: $500 to $1,000)

3 Years (For TVs Over $1,000)



NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY YOUR TV FROM COSTCO TO GET THIS WARRANTY!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Deleted.

HomieG (Mar. 20, 2012 @ 2:29p) |

Hot deal, thanks for pointing it out. I just became a Costco member recently and had purchased a Sammy HDTV from Dell.co... (more)

techhappy (Apr. 01, 2012 @ 3:17a) |

Does anyone know if the Costco Squaretrade warranty can be used to cover TVs purchased on eBay?

marcsherr (Apr. 03, 2012 @ 10:56a) |

  • Also categorized in:

Too bad they don't have cell phone coverage..Great prices for TV's..Nice post

Costco has a "flat" price for the warranty for each TV price range. Square Trade uses a percentage of the TV price to determine the warranty price. Which route is better from a cost perspective may depend on the price of the TV and what coupons Square Trade is distributing at the time. There may be some advantage in buying the Square Trade warranty from Costco as a "backstop" in case of a problem. Have heard that Costco will expand the Square Trade program to other products if it is successful for them on TVs, but don't have that confirmed.

This is a deal that has been around for a time. Not really "hot", but a good deal.

OP, Are these the regular every day prices?

horizon6 said:   Costco has a "flat" price for the warranty for each TV price range. Square Trade uses a percentage of the TV price to determine the warranty price. Which route is better from a cost perspective may depend on the price of the TV and what coupons Square Trade is distributing at the time. There may be some advantage in buying the Square Trade warranty from Costco as a "backstop" in case of a problem. Have heard that Costco will expand the Square Trade program to other products if it is successful for them on TVs, but don't have that confirmed.

judahr said:   This is a deal that has been around for a time. Not really "hot", but a good deal.

ParkRoad22 said:   OP, Are these the regular every day prices?


Yes, these prices have been around for a while (at least 6 months). However, this deal is MUCH better than using a coupon for a current SquareTrade warranty because:

1) In almost ALL cases, these prices are cheaper than buying a TV warranty from www.squaretrade.com with a 35% off coupon... even a 40% off coupon can't match these prices much of the time (especially for high-end expensive TV's). However it does pay to compare prices... which brings me to #2 below...

2) This SquareTrade Warranty that Costco sells DOES NOT run parallel to your TV's Manufacturer's Warranty or 2-Year Costco Concierge Warranty (if you TV is bought at Costco). This means your TV will be covered by your Manufacturer's Warranty first, then this SquareTrade Warranty will begin after your previous warranty ends (effectively give you 4-6 years warranty, depending on how long your Manufacturer's Warranty is for). All other SquareTrade Warranties purchased from other places (like their website) DOES run parallel (effectively starting at your TV's purchase date and ending 3 years afterwards).

chokaay said:   Depending on the price of the TV, it MAY be a better deal to buy your SquareTrade TV Warranty from COSTCO or COSTCO.COM (instead of Squaretrade.com directly):

TV's under $500: $29.99
TV's $500 - $1,000: $59.99
TV's over $1,000: $99.99


For those prices you get 3 years AND your SquareTrade warranty DOESN'T begin until AFTER your manufacturer's warranty runs out as opposed to running parallel like when you purchase on SquareTrade.com. Thus, your TV will have 1 yr manufacturer's warranty (typically) + 3 years SquareTrade warranty = 4 years warranty.

If you buy your TV from Costco, you get 1 year from Costco free AND your SquareTrade warranty DOESN'T begin until AFTER that coverage ends. Thus, your TV will have 1 yr manufacturer's warranty (typically) + 1 year Costco extended warranty + 3 years SquareTrade warranty = 5 years warranty.

In comparison, buying TV warranties directly from SquareTrade will give you less years (only 3 years total since warranties run parallel to manufacturer's warranty), and typically are more expensive (especially if your TV is $1,000 or more).


3 Years (For TVs Under $500)

3 Years (For TVs: $500 to $1,000)

3 Years (For TVs Over $1,000)



NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY YOUR TV FROM COSTCO TO GET THIS WARRANTY!


I was eying a $99 warranty deal on Square Trade for my TV, which would include 4 years total. 30% off coupon brought the price down to $70. This saves me $10 and is hot. Thanks, OP.

I do want to point out that Square Trade gives you like 180 days to buy the warranty after you purchase your TV, while Costco only gives you 60 days. So, if you bought a TV before October 24, you cannot get in on this deal.

too bad I'm not a Costco member

emmd2001 said:   too bad I'm not a Costco member


Non-Costco members can still buy for a small surcharge (which will add around $1.50-$7 to the price depending on which warranty you get).

chokaay said:   emmd2001 said:   too bad I'm not a Costco member


Non-Costco members can still buy for a small surcharge (which will add around $1.50-$7 to the price depending on which warranty you get).


Great... may have to do this for the 60" Samsung I scored from the Dell error then!

chokaay said:   horizon6 said:   Costco has a "flat" price for the warranty for each TV price range. Square Trade uses a percentage of the TV price to determine the warranty price. Which route is better from a cost perspective may depend on the price of the TV and what coupons Square Trade is distributing at the time. There may be some advantage in buying the Square Trade warranty from Costco as a "backstop" in case of a problem. Have heard that Costco will expand the Square Trade program to other products if it is successful for them on TVs, but don't have that confirmed.

judahr said:   This is a deal that has been around for a time. Not really "hot", but a good deal.

ParkRoad22 said:   OP, Are these the regular every day prices?


Yes, these prices have been around for a while (at least 6 months). However, this deal is MUCH better than using a coupon for a current SquareTrade warranty because:

1) In almost ALL cases, these prices are cheaper than buying a TV warranty from www.squaretrade.com with a 35% off coupon... even a 40% off coupon can't match these prices much of the time (especially for high-end expensive TV's). However it does pay to compare prices... which brings me to #2 below...

2) This SquareTrade Warranty that Costco sells DOES NOT run parallel to your TV's Manufacturer's Warranty or 2-Year Costco Concierge Warranty (if you TV is bought at Costco). This means your TV will be covered by your Manufacturer's Warranty first, then this SquareTrade Warranty will begin after your previous warranty ends (effectively give you 4-6 years warranty, depending on how long your Manufacturer's Warranty is for). All other SquareTrade Warranties purchased from other places (like their website) DOES run parallel (effectively starting at your TV's purchase date and ending 3 years afterwards).


Many AMEX credit cards, including the Costco AMEX, should provide an additional one-year of coverage on top of the original two-years from manufacturer/Costco on TVs bought there and the extended three-years bought from Costco/Square Trade, effectively a total of six years.

More like a scam by fatwalleter standard.

First, modern electronics do not break down at 10% rate.

Second, your first year (or two) is always wasted through manufacture.

Third, this is not a "fix-it" warranty but an allowance trying to fix it. Basically you pay $30 up front for a $500 repair expense -- The cost of shipping it back/forth for them to verify, any success/failed attempts, all count towards your "warranty". I bet you will run out of "warranty" before finishing your first repair, that is, if it happens to begin with.

Wellcum said:   More like a scam by fatwalleter standard.

First, modern electronics do not break down at 10% rate.

Second, your first year (or two) is always wasted through manufacture.

Third, this is not a "fix-it" warranty but an allowance trying to fix it. Basically you pay $30 up front for a $500 repair expense -- The cost of shipping it back/forth for them to verify, any success/failed attempts, all count towards your "warranty". I bet you will run out of "warranty" before finishing your first repair, that is, if it happens to begin with.


Ok. I'll bet you $59 my TV will need a repair 3 years after Mfr warrant. If I'm wrong, you keep the $59. If I'm right, you repair it for free. Deal?

Wellcum said:   More like a scam by fatwalleter standard.

First, modern electronics do not break down at 10% rate.

Second, your first year (or two) is always wasted through manufacture.

Third, this is not a "fix-it" warranty but an allowance trying to fix it. Basically you pay $30 up front for a $500 repair expense -- The cost of shipping it back/forth for them to verify, any success/failed attempts, all count towards your "warranty". I bet you will run out of "warranty" before finishing your first repair, that is, if it happens to begin with.




First, I would gladly pay $100 to warranty my $3000 TV for 3 additional years (not including mfg warranty). 100/3000 = 3.33% of my TV's MSRP... actually less if you take into account what my TV's MSRP was 6 months ago and include taxes and shipping. Heck, I'd gladly pay $100 to warranty my $4500 TV for an additional 3 years too (not including mfg warranty), which would work out to be less than 2.22% if you account for tax and shipping!

Second, this warranty does NOT kick in until the end of your manufacturer's warranty (or if you buy from Costco, the end of their 2-year Costco Concierge Warranty). Therefore I pay $100 for a full 3 additional years for a total of 4 years if you include the 1 year mfg warranty (5 years if I bought it at Costco and had Costco's 2-year concierge warranty).

Third, I would much rather use SquareTrade's "allowance" to warranty my TV than go through other warranty companies that give you "refurbs" or "equivalents". When my $2,500 Sony KDL-R60XBR2 60" TV developed an optical box problem, I used the extended warranty I bought at a big appliance store. Instead of paying for an optical box repair (which they said costed $1,400, but Sony said it costed $1,200), they decided to give me an "equivalent" which was a 60" discontinued rear-projection Mitsubishi TV that wasn't even close to "equivalent" worth $750 brand new (but of course this was a refurb). Then they made up some excuse and said that it was a "pre-existing" issue, they would give me $0 since my warranty was null and void. It has been 10 months since this incident began and I'm still fighting them (and in the meantime I had to buy a new TV to replace the dead one sitting in my garage). So in the end I paid $350 to warranty my TV for 4 years, and they voided my warranty since it was "not their issue" since they claim it was in their list of exclusions (which was extensive). If you look at SquareTrade's T&C, you will see they are very straight-forward (for a warranty company) with relatively few exclusions (other than the obvious). Honestly, I'd rather get at least SOMETHING back for my money when my product breaks down (rather than nothing).


Bottom line, if I was going to buy a warranty from anyone, SquareTrade would be my first choice. But don't take my word for it... take the thousands of honest reviews on the Internet (some are negative, vast majority are positive).

We bought Square Trade warranties from Costco for both of our new HDTVs after researching all the rave reviews about Square Trade. We bought one TV at Costco and one at Sam's Club. Very easy to register online. Highly recommend.

How log do I have to buy a warranty? I purchase a Samsung 51" from Bestbuy last week. Is there a window for buying the warranty?

zoid99 said:   How log do I have to buy a warranty? I purchase a Samsung 51" from Bestbuy last week. Is there a window for buying the warranty?

Must buy and register within 60 days of TV purchase.

Thanks OP, got one.

I just purchase warranty for plasma 60.00" yesterday from squaretrade.com with 30% off discounted. I am wondering if i be able to cancell and purchase from costco.

Yes, if it was within 60 days (?)...

So i will have 4 years warranty total if purchase from costco . Manf. 1 year + costco 3 years = 4 years .

Thanks

Yeah Im re turning my tv to Sams Club and buying from Costco. Atleast the cashier at Sams explained it and the warranty was going to be $179. Got it cheaper at Costco, shipped to my house and cheaper warranty.

slackerace said:   I do want to point out that Square Trade gives you like 180 days to buy the warranty after you purchase your TV, while Costco only gives you 60 days. So, if you bought a TV before October 24, you cannot get in on this deal.
Wrong. They don't sell warranties for anything purchased over three months ago. Spreading rumors like this can lead to people missing their window.

would this work if I bought my tv used off craigslist? Anyways to make it work?

If the TV is bought at Costco it would have a two year warranty.
If the Square Trade Extended Warranty starts at the end of the manufacturer's/Costco's warranty, it would extend to five years.
If the TV were bought at Costco, with the Costco (or some of the other) Am. Ex. cards, then Am. Ex. adds a year to a total of a manufacturers/extended warranty up to five years, which could bring the total coverage to six years.

Extended warranties are often very profitable for the seller, but if the above is the way it works, it may level the playing field. Many things don't last as long as we're used to, although some things become technologically obsolete to some quickly. Heard there was quite a demand for The New iPad and would guess some of those who stood in line or are otherwise waiting are replacing their iPad2's

horizon6 said:   
If the TV were bought at Costco, with the Costco (or some of the other) Am. Ex. cards, then Am. Ex. adds a year to the total of the manufacturers/extended warranty, which could bring the total coverage to six years.


I am not sure that they add a year to the extended warranty. The do add up to 5 years (actually double, up to 5 years, depending on the manufacturers warranty). Never heard of Am Ex adding years to an extended warranty, just the manufacturers warranty. But I could be wrong.

Btw, the SquareTrade warranties for TV's at Costco can be purchased for TV's bought elsewhere. In that case it adds 3 years to the manufacturers warranty. And it can be purchased by non-Costco members too (they add something like $5 to the price).

HomieG said:   horizon6 said:   
If the TV were bought at Costco, with the Costco (or some of the other) Am. Ex. cards, then Am. Ex. adds a year to the total of the manufacturers/extended warranty, which could bring the total coverage to six years.


I am not sure that they add a year to the extended warranty. The do add up to 5 years (actually double, up to 5 years, depending on the manufacturers warranty). Never heard of Am Ex adding years to an extended warranty, just the manufacturers warranty. But I could be wrong.

Btw, the SquareTrade warranties for TV's at Costco can be purchased for TV's bought elsewhere. In that case it adds 3 years to the manufacturers warranty. And it can be purchased by non-Costco members too (they add something like $5 to the price).


You would need to check the T&C of your particular card. Some had the 6th year in the past. Although have not checked the Costco card T&C recently, expect it still does, and would check prior to a relevant purchase.

Deleted.

Hot deal, thanks for pointing it out. I just became a Costco member recently and had purchased a Sammy HDTV from Dell.com. Using my Costco membership, I was able to purchase this 5 year warranty right off costco.com. In a few hours, my account was updated. SUPER DEAL!

Does anyone know if the Costco Squaretrade warranty can be used to cover TVs purchased on eBay?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014