Official 2011 Tax Software Summary

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • 156 7 89
  • Page
  • Text Only
mogulman said:   
I just purchased this. I'll use it, but it might be kind of shady.

They send you an email with a link to download it from a file folder, not directly from Turbo Tax.

The software seems like the real thing, but I dunno.

Hope it doesn't steal your info. Not for me.

I have to file for two states because of some contractor based work I did. However, I don't see a deal that includes more than one state. I downloaded the free TurboTax deluxe when they ran that promo, but they want $40 for the extra state, which is absurd. Any ideas?

bru20 said:   mogulman said:   

They send you an email with a link to download it from a file folder, not directly from Turbo Tax.

I did a chat session with Turbo Tax support asking if it was legit. They say yes. I think I'm going to use the software since I paid for it. I wouldn't do it again though.

calisoldier83 said:   I have to file for two states because of some contractor based work I did. However, I don't see a deal that includes more than one state. I downloaded the free TurboTax deluxe when they ran that promo, but they want $40 for the extra state, which is absurd. Any ideas?
I have to file in three states. What I did was the State Farm Bank deal where Fed + Three States + efiling for all was free. The catch is you have to use the online version instead of the desktop version. I'm not sure if the State Farm Bank free deal is still available but check in that thread.

For those of us that prefer the physical edition like me, Newegg has a deal for TurboTax deluxe+state+efile bundled with a cheapo 16GB USB flash drive for $50 with a $10 off coupon and free shipping. The software cost is deductible, and I've heard some people have problems with the downloaded versions. You may need to get their newsletter to use the coupon, but give it a shot.

Coupon Code:
EMCNJGJ92

URL:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?&Item=N82E16832109402

Turbo Tax is the only program i use. i've never had any problems and BONUS- it's free when you don't do itemized deductions or own a house. thumbs up!

mogulman said:   SomeThing4Nothing said:   TurboTax Deluxe + State for 22.48 at http://www.superdealz.org/buy/intuit-turbotax-deluxe-2011-federa...

Anyone hear of this site before. I found it through nextag.com. Good price but....

I click on the link and now get this message:

Superdealz.org is currently suspended
Superdealz.org is currently suspended. If you are the owner, please login to your control panel or contact our customer service team.

And there is this:

Text

john99 said:   And there is this:

Text

Of course this would be a great price but how could this be legit at nine bucks?

mogulman said:   bru20 said:   mogulman said:   

I did a chat session with Turbo Tax support asking if it was legit. They say yes. I think I'm going to use the software since I paid for it. I wouldn't do it again though.

Q: how long did you wait after payment that you got the email to Download the software?

anthonyu said:   mogulman said:   SomeThing4Nothing said:   TurboTax Deluxe + State for 22.48 at http://www.superdealz.org/buy/intuit-turbotax-deluxe-2011-federa...

Anyone hear of this site before. I found it through nextag.com. Good price but....

I click on the link and now get this message:

Superdealz.org is currently suspended
Superdealz.org is currently suspended. If you are the owner, please login to your control panel or contact our customer service team.

Still seems to work for me. I got the link within about 10 mins.

calisoldier83 said:   I have to file for two states because of some contractor based work I did. However, I don't see a deal that includes more than one state. I downloaded the free TurboTax deluxe when they ran that promo, but they want $40 for the extra state, which is absurd. Any ideas?

Looks like the separate state products include e-file in their pricing this year, which is the first time I've seen that in 9 years of DIY taxes. That takes the $37 charge down to a net of about $17 in my state.

Pricing seems to be less aggressive this year, but February usually brings better deals. I've got rental property this year, so I'm movin' on up the chain of products.

I've done H&R Block all 9 of those years--tried TurboTax once and they screwed something up royally in a basic math calculation in 2008. I might try them again, but no matter which one you choose, there are almost always small bugs (usually in the state program). It always pays to review a paper copy yourself before moving on.

ash78 said:   calisoldier83 said:   I have to file for two states because of some contractor based work I did. However, I don't see a deal that includes more than one state. I downloaded the free TurboTax deluxe when they ran that promo, but they want $40 for the extra state, which is absurd. Any ideas?Looks like the separate state products include e-file in their pricing this year, which is the first time I've seen that in 9 years of DIY taxes. That takes the $37 charge down to a net of about $17 in my state.I think that's true only for online, not download, based on these sites:

Online: http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/deluxe.jsp [clicking on State, it says "Free Efile"]

Download: http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/state.jsp [says Efile additional]

Why does it seem so much more confusing this year? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I feel like the past few years you could always find great deals on Fed+State with e-file, then just pay your state e-file fee yourself. I guess they're trying to cater to every single personal situation, but the product offerings are getting a lot more complicated.

schizo said:   For those of us that prefer the physical edition like me, Newegg has a deal for TurboTax deluxe+state+efile bundled with a cheapo 16GB USB flash drive for $50 with a $10 off coupon and free shipping. The software cost is deductible, and I've heard some people have problems with the downloaded versions. You may need to get their newsletter to use the coupon, but give it a shot.

Coupon Code:
EMCNJGJ92

URL:

sold out yesterday... alive again this morning.

rdh said:   schizo said:   For those of us that prefer the physical edition like me, Newegg has a deal for TurboTax deluxe+state+efile bundled with a cheapo 16GB USB flash drive for $50 with a $10 off coupon and free shipping. The software cost is deductible, and I've heard some people have problems with the downloaded versions. You may need to get their newsletter to use the coupon, but give it a shot.

Coupon Code:
EMCNJGJ92

URL:

And $70 for the Premier version with State. Considering this includes e-file for both State and Fed, the $50/$70 prices seem pretty decent. In for one!

Deluxe is actually $40 with the coupon applied-- sorry if that wasn't clear. It's better than the costco deal that expired on jan 29.

I was just at Dollar Tree, nowhere on the sleeve does it mention a free efile, but it does on the display case(1 free federal efile) so what does that mean? And what is STANDARD anyway, is it basic or < > than basic?

ash78 said:   rdh said:   schizo said:   For those of us that prefer the physical edition like me, Newegg has a deal for TurboTax deluxe+state+efile bundled with a cheapo 16GB USB flash drive for $50 with a $10 off coupon and free shipping. The software cost is deductible, and I've heard some people have problems with the downloaded versions. You may need to get their newsletter to use the coupon, but give it a shot.

Coupon Code:
EMCNJGJ92

URL:

And $70 for the Premier version with State. Considering this includes e-file for both State and Fed, the $50/$70 prices seem pretty decent. In for one!

Too bad I can't do this.
Got the download version from Superdealz for $22.48 and installed & updated both the Fed & State successfully.
This is a decent deal if you also want the 16 Gb flash drive.

Falcon27 said:   I was just at Dollar Tree, nowhere on the sleeve does it mention a free efile, but it does on the display case(1 free federal efile) so what does that mean?Already mentioned in the Dollar Tree thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1163130/

On the display case I saw just "Free efile".

And what is STANDARD anyway, is it basic or < > than basic?Standard is ranked below Basic.
(Standard,Basic,Deluxe....)

Just bought H&R Block Deluxe Federal + State for $46 - $10 GC - $10 Target coupon = $26 Final Price after MIR would be $16 (incl tax).

I heard the $10 gc offer ends tomorrow (2/4)

dreadpiratemark said:   Target today:
H&R Block Deluxe Fed+State = 46.00
PM to WalMart = 36.00
$10 Target Coupon (linked @ top of page) = $26
$10 Coupon from Sunday paper = $16 out the door (plus tax)
$10 Target GC = $6.00
Tried this a couple of days ago, but they said no PM with GC offer.

Tried at another store tonight, no issue.

Thanks!

I don't get this whole thing. why does anybody use anything OTHER than the online free-file services?
I've used TurboTax online for several years. people have said it's free only if you don't have any extras or complicated forms, but that's never been true for me. they BUG you to "upgrade" several times during the data screens, but if you ignore that and keep going it's never cost me a dime for federal, with 1040 and investments, losses, employee expenses, mortgage taxes and insurance, everything... e-filing, too.

i've paid a few bucks each year for the state and e-filing state. but i see this year i may qualify for that free too.

when i see the ads for H&R that say "free for 1040ez" heck, who needs help to fill out a 1040ez???

of course there are income limitations for the free services, but i easily qualified.

Amos said:   I don't get this whole thing. why does anybody use anything OTHER than the online free-file services?
of course there are income limitations for the free services
I think you answered your own question.

Amos said:   I don't get this whole thing. why does anybody use anything OTHER than the online free-file services?
I've used TurboTax online for several years. people have said it's free only if you don't have any extras or complicated forms, but that's never been true for me. they BUG you to "upgrade" several times during the data screens, but if you ignore that and keep going it's never cost me a dime for federal, with 1040 and investments, losses, employee expenses, mortgage taxes and insurance, everything... e-filing, too.

i've paid a few bucks each year for the state and e-filing state. but i see this year i may qualify for that free too.

when i see the ads for H&R that say "free for 1040ez" heck, who needs help to fill out a 1040ez???

of course there are income limitations for the free services, but i easily qualified.

I don't get it the only free thing is TurboTax online (1040EZ simple returns) are you saying it's really a lot more? I Have investments, losses, dividends, pretty substantial interest income about 12K, College deductions, mortgage interest & prop. taxes and insurance. I lost my job so my income is down a lot, would it work for me? I assume you can't import from last years H&R Block software, correct?

Edit: I found all the forms it supports, so I think it covers everything I need, what is the Max Income allowed? I'm sadly below 50K for a Joint return, so likely I'm good...?

Guess what...the deluxe tax software cd lets you do 5 free federal taxes and unlimited preparations of federal and state...

I bought the TurboTax Deluxe Federal + E-file 2011 from Amazon and did my taxes. Can I sell it to someone and will they be able to use the other 4 E-Files? When I installed the program I didn't enter any product key like you normally do when you install software, so how do they know who is using it?

mdyoung said:   I bought the TurboTax Deluxe Federal + E-file 2011 from Amazon and did my taxes. Can I sell it to someone and will they be able to use the other 4 E-Files?

Didn't you read the license agreement?

I dont think you can "sell" it but i guess sharing with friends should be ok.

"Sharing is caring!"

If you have no income you don't need to file at all do you?

garyreno said:   sirmicro said:   These are most likely a prior years version.

They are this years version.
Why would anybody buy last years version?
Maybe they haven't filed yet?

john99 said:   And there is this:

Text

Turbo Tax DELUXE 2011 FEDERAL & STATE RETURNS + e-FILE - Download
(Windows and Mac OS) For &8.98! Something seems a little fishy...

It says e-File but I guess that does not mean it's a free e-File. Is the e-File free?

TurboTax Deluxe plus state is now on sale at Sams Club for $39.95

I've used TurboTax online for several years.

Luke - you still have a lot to learn. Once you get past certain income thresholds, then you will find that the free version is no longer an option. But paying for tax software is morally so wrong - so you shall endeavour to make sure that you don't get beyond cost of inflation raises, don't make any money in stock market etc. The nice thing about not making too much money is that you can use the free tax software and tell people - "I don't get it - why are you paying for software" :-;

I'll do it as quickly as possible.

Falcon27 said:   Turbo Tax DELUXE 2011 FEDERAL & STATE RETURNS + e-FILE - Download
(Windows and Mac OS) For &8.98! Something seems a little fishy...

It says e-File but I guess that does not mean it's a free e-File. Is the e-File free?

If it says eFile in the title, then it includes free Federal e-file. Actually I'm pretty sure that is built into the product. Once you have it installed, you can e-file.

BTW they also have "Home & Business and all other versions" for $8.98 - here. I agree it looks fishy.

As a point of further confusion, most of the standalone $35-$40 state products DO include a state e-file...most of the package deals (Federal + state + efile) do NOT include e-file for state.

Just learned this the hard way with the Newegg deal. I know it's only an extra $20, but it gets irritating as my cost of tax prep now approaches $100/yr in addition to the value of my time.

ash78 said:   As a point of further confusion, most of the standalone $35-$40 state products DO include a state e-file...most of the package deals (Federal + state + efile) do NOT include e-file for state.

Just learned this the hard way with the Newegg deal. I know it's only an extra $20, but it gets irritating as my cost of tax prep now approaches $100/yr in addition to the value of my time.
Move to NY. For some reason, e-filing of state returns in NY is free.

billrubin said:   Move to NY. For some reason, e-filing of state returns in NY is free.Or move to a state with no income tax at all, like Texas.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014