• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just say your canceling service they will now offer you 9.99 for life no more
1 deal like they used to give me... Been customer since 2003.... Ooma tel them theat what you are switching to as well........

* $9.99 month U.S. and Canada Unlimited
* Unlimited1 local & long distance in the U.S., Canada, & Puerto Rico
* Enhanced 411 Directory Assistance included
* Readable voicemail transcriptions§ included
* Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Anonymous Call Block, 3-Way Calling, and tons of standard features
* Unlimited incoming and Vonage-to-Vonage calls

Member Summary

onage
Thanks Happygirls
Disclaimer

Vonage
Thanks Happygirls
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I had Vonage and it was good but then switched to Nettalk for cheapest option. It has very poor customer care. I need in... (more)

balamadras (Nov. 06, 2013 @ 12:16p) |

just sharing my 2 cents.

Like everybody else, I fell for the victim of 9.99 a month. I sign up for free international ca... (more)

mibsomething (Dec. 14, 2013 @ 5:12p) |

I have World Plan now and with fees the bill comes out to around $38/month.  Called them about nine months ago to reduce... (more)

rdprx5 (Dec. 14, 2013 @ 11:25p) |

Here are the best alternatives to Vonage:

* Ooma - one time investment and close to $7 per month for some zipcode but worth it
* NetTalk - A great option with cheap yearly offers. Unlimited calls to international destinations too (thanks abysmallyadroit http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1154939/)
Google Voice + Obi - Deadly combo. Free home phone with one time expense of about $70. (See here)
* MagicJack - No live tech support but a good option
* A SIP phone
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does that include the $7-$8 in taxes and fees? I was a loyal Vonage customer up until a few weeks ago when I switched to the Obi100 + Google Voice. Total price including my phone number transfer was $63 (that was a one time fee for everything). At $17-$10 / month with Vonage, I'll break even in 4 months or less and be free of monthly phone fees. At this point, I believe Google Voice will be free for the long term (or at least grandfather those in with an existing plan).

Good deal OP, but there are better options at this point than Vonage, even when they drop their rate a few bucks to try to stop the bloodshed.

@BetterDays - did you have to go to a new phone number, or could you use your existing Vonage number?

i am too fed up with Vonage's extra fees that can add up to 9-10 dollars.
i wish i had shifted to obi and google talk sooner.

google talk rocks with all the extra features and no taxes or fees.

Same number, I understand the previous post but Vonage isn't going anywhere
they have over 10 million subs
That being said, 9.99 same number since 2003 never a drop in call or no service...
Probably comes to 16 Bucks a month after taxes and Bs

All good just wanted people that are getting raped with that 24.99 plan that people should be
paying 9.99

Google talk is for a PC
Great service however you really can't compare ... I have goggle voice great ,..,.,But would not
now Switch over Just yet Years down the road ) for telephone just I run a business with a ported 800
to Vonage now for 8 years never a problem ever.....
That says a lot... If you Have problems with goggle Who are you going to call >>

Redbeard25 said:   @BetterDays - did you have to go to a new phone number, or could you use your existing Vonage number?
You can't go directly from Vonage to GV. I had a prepaid phone already, so I ported my Vonage number to AT&T prepaid, then AT&T to GV. Porting Vonage to AT&T took about 5 days. An hour after the AT&T port completed, I was able to port to GV. AT&T to GV took less than 24 hours. I'm very pleased with the service so far.

@Clown - your post is a good deal for Vonage subscribers, even the ones already on the $12.50 plan. I just wanted people thinking of going to Vonage to realize they will have nearly that much in fees again. Sorry for taking your post off topic. Gave you some green as yours is a great deal for those with Vonage already.

Yep, all good your correct...

I haven't tried oobi, but after reading some magazine tests I purchased, installed, and tested both the Ooma Telo and NetTalk last month. Both, unlike MagicJack, have live people to talk to. Unlike AT&T, they actually seem to know what they were talking about. The voice quality was very similar for both and I'm keeping NetTalk since it is cheaper ($50 unit price includes 1st year of service, and no monthly taxes in my state). From a user standpoint, both are very similar to the AT&T landline I replaced. (I use a cable modem for Intenet access) NetTalk also has free 411 and includes calls to Canada, not just the U.S. So, I'd recommend NetTalk over paying $10/mon for Vonage, since I still don't think that's cheap enough considering other available alternatives.

I can Agree However you can't use these services to Fax I've tried nettalk magic jack Ex=ct....
You just use them to fax... Alot of people still fax just wanted to make sure people understand this ....
net Talk is a great product no Doubt ihave one when I travel ,....

How well do these services handle routing of incoming calls? Ideally I'd like an intelligent routing system that can distinguish between telemarketers and legitimate blocked numbers (e.g., doctors), or at least have an easy-to-administer blacklist of numbers to reject calls from.

Vonage sucks - stay away! Even at $1/month they will somehow figure out a way to rip you off. Funny, I just got a Vonage class action settlement check for $106 for when I was being ripped off by them back in 2005.

Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems? I am in the process of dumping AT&T home phone service (still have DSL internet service with them - havent found a better deal including wireless router), but want something that will work with the security company. I know Vonage works, although they recommend you get their highest voltage package (whatever that means in terms of Vonage offerings), but I would love to go to OOMA or NetTalk if they work with security system companies.

worked for me... thanks OP. Changed my plan from 24.99/mo to 9.99/mo for life

theospurs said:   Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems? I am in the process of dumping AT&T home phone service (still have DSL internet service with them - havent found a better deal including wireless router), but want something that will work with the security company. I know Vonage works, although they recommend you get their highest voltage package (whatever that means in terms of Vonage offerings), but I would love to go to OOMA or NetTalk if they work with security system companies.
Better home security systems use a dedicated cellular module so that the system is fully-functional even in the event of a power failure, a fire that has burned through the phone/cable/ethernet lines, etc.

Toddler said:   theospurs said:   Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems? I am in the process of dumping AT&T home phone service (still have DSL internet service with them - havent found a better deal including wireless router), but want something that will work with the security company. I know Vonage works, although they recommend you get their highest voltage package (whatever that means in terms of Vonage offerings), but I would love to go to OOMA or NetTalk if they work with security system companies.
Better home security systems use a dedicated cellular module so that the system is fully-functional even in the event of a power failure, a fire that has burned through the phone/cable/ethernet lines, etc.

And sadly those "better" systems charge you an extra $10/month for that cellular service.

Alarm systems have worked without cellular for well over 20 years now...
Power failure = battery backup.
Burn through phone lines/etc. = alarm company doesn't get pinged by the unit and rolls out a car to check on your house. Yes that's not as good as having the send the fire department immediately, but one would hope your smoke detectors linked to the alarm system (or not) would have gone off well before this became an issue.

Called customer service, chose "cancel my service" and told the rep who answered that I needed to have my number transferred to Google Voice. She immediately offered me $9.95/month as expected. I was already on the $14.95/month deal from a few years ago, and now that's another $60/year saved. Green for OP and thanks.

By the way, I've been a Vonage customer since 2004 and I'd say the last several years have been absolutely trouble-free.

DirtCheapDad said:   Toddler said:   theospurs said:   Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems? I am in the process of dumping AT&T home phone service (still have DSL internet service with them - havent found a better deal including wireless router), but want something that will work with the security company. I know Vonage works, although they recommend you get their highest voltage package (whatever that means in terms of Vonage offerings), but I would love to go to OOMA or NetTalk if they work with security system companies.

And sadly those "better" systems charge you an extra $10/month for that cellular service.

Alarm systems have worked without cellular for well over 20 years now...
Power failure = battery backup.
Burn through phone lines/etc. = alarm company doesn't get pinged by the unit and rolls out a car to check on your house. Yes that's not as good as having the send the fire department immediately, but one would hope your smoke detectors linked to the alarm system (or not) would have gone off well before this became an issue.

Battery backup devices for everything in that scenario (cable modem, router, switch, VOIP adapter and security system). Still doesn't protect at all against the intruder who easily disables your security system by simply disconnecting your cable line. Most of the time you don't even need tools to do it. The $10/month would be worth it to me if I felt the need for a security system. But my reason for mentioning that option is I know people who only had a landline for their security system until they switched to cellular. That option makes your phone service (or even the lack thereof) irrelevant.

raagarwa said:   I haven't tried oobi, but after reading some magazine tests I purchased, installed, and tested both the Ooma Telo and NetTalk last month. Both, unlike MagicJack, have live people to talk to. Unlike AT&T, they actually seem to know what they were talking about. The voice quality was very similar for both and I'm keeping NetTalk since it is cheaper ($50 unit price includes 1st year of service, and no monthly taxes in my state). From a user standpoint, both are very similar to the AT&T landline I replaced. (I use a cable modem for Intenet access) NetTalk also has free 411 and includes calls to Canada, not just the U.S. So, I'd recommend NetTalk over paying $10/mon for Vonage, since I still don't think that's cheap enough considering other available alternatives.

is nettalk porting numbers yet, been forever and a day.

Under this $9.99 plan, are international calls to Europe still free?

Under this $9.99 plan, are international calls to Europe still free?

mazeltov said:   Under this $9.99 plan, are international calls to Europe still free?
This plan is the "$9.99 month U.S. and Canada Unlimited" plan. Calls to Europe are not included.

The disadvantage of this $9.99 plan is that it is only US and Canada, no more Europe and Mexico

Speaking as a former Vonage customer, PLEASE be aware of all the options available before thinking about signing up with them. I started on a $14.95/ mo plan and watched my monthly bill creep upward (for the same level of service) until I hit $30/ mo. Bought the Obi 100 adapter and am going with voip.ms for now at 1 to 1.25 cents per min. (that's pay-as-you-go service, NO bills). If your a current Vonage customer, by all means, call them and threaten to cancel if you can get better pricing BUT BE SURE you know how many minutes-per-month your're getting for this so-called "unlimited" service.

I called to cancel and received this deal no problem!!!!

theospurs said:   Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems?

I used ooma with ADT alarm monitoring, although it's not officially supported. There are options for using prepaid cellular to provide redundant communications for the alarm system inexpensively, which can also be used if your particular VOIP service doesn't work with your alarm. Since VOIP is more vulnerable to service disruption (easier to disconnect, not line-powered, etc.) I prefer to add cellular backup even if the VOIP does work with the alarm. If you get cellular through the alarm company, they usually charge way too much. You can use a cellular terminal to convert cellular signaling to a digital wired phone jack, but you have to work out system compatibility and settings yourself. It helps to use battery backup on everything - one for the cellular terminal, one for the network and VOIP equipment. A crook can still beat it - cut/unplug the communications lines outside and use a cell signal jammer - but gosh, I think the James Bond burglars can find a better target than my place!

As far as faxing - I was able to fax over ooma. It's not an officially supported service over most VOIP services. You can usually adjust the transmission speed and quality control in your fax machine to work over VOIP.

So how much extra crap does Vonage tack on to the $9.99? Used to be with them for about 2 years back several years ago. Never any complaint with the service, just the cost got to be a little too much with so many other options out there.

Why doesn't everyone have Ooma? I never paid a dime for service and initial cost was $210 with number transfer 3 1/2 years ago. That works out to $5/ month and will only go down every month the equipment still works.

Had Vonage before that and that was the last time I had lousy voice quality and service interruption.

cpabster said:   So how much extra crap does Vonage tack on to the $9.99? Used to be with them for about 2 years back several years ago. Never any complaint with the service, just the cost got to be a little too much with so many other options out there.
Up until a week or two ago, I was on the $12.50 plan and my bill was exactly $19.95. At $9.99, I'd imagine you will pay $6.50-$7.00 in taxes, although that might also vary by area.

Thanks guys for chiming in on the security system question. Vonage doesn't sound like a good choice for me then. My current security company mentioned the celular option, and will install for free, but it is $20 per month more expensive and want a 60 month contract. I'll look for another security company option though, as both $20 a month additional, and the 60 month contract are both a little too much for my liking.

raagarwa said:   I haven't tried oobi, but after reading some magazine tests I purchased, installed, and tested both the Ooma Telo and NetTalk last month. Both, unlike MagicJack, have live people to talk to. Unlike AT&T, they actually seem to know what they were talking about. The voice quality was very similar for both and I'm keeping NetTalk since it is cheaper ($50 unit price includes 1st year of service, and no monthly taxes in my state). From a user standpoint, both are very similar to the AT&T landline I replaced. (I use a cable modem for Intenet access) NetTalk also has free 411 and includes calls to Canada, not just the U.S. So, I'd recommend NetTalk over paying $10/mon for Vonage, since I still don't think that's cheap enough considering other available alternatives.

How si the call quality for net talk and ooma.. I have Lingo the call quality is really choppy sometiems for international calls.. I am thinkign of swtiching to something better.. Any recommendations? I call Europe and Asia

magnamover said:   Why doesn't everyone have Ooma? I never paid a dime for service and initial cost was $210 with number transfer 3 1/2 years ago. That works out to $5/ month and will only go down every month the equipment still works.
Same reason I have TiVos all over the house instead of homebrew set-top boxes and SageTV. Cheaper isn't always better, and my home phone service is one of those cases. I'm at the point in life where I'm willing to pay for reliability, and Vonage has been incredibly reliable for me (unlike you, obviously). I'm just not motivated to abandon something which has performed so well for years simply to pay for one more Starbucks coffee per month.

Toddler said:   Called customer service, chose "cancel my service" and told the rep who answered that I needed to have my number transferred to Google Voice. She immediately offered me $9.95/month as expected. I was already on the $14.95/month deal from a few years ago, and now that's another $60/year saved. Green for OP and thanks.

By the way, I've been a Vonage customer since 2004 and I'd say the last several years have been absolutely trouble-free.

I'm on the unlimited for $14.99 for life. But if this works, then I'm try tomorrow!...

rsuaver said:   Toddler said:   Called customer service, chose "cancel my service" and told the rep who answered that I needed to have my number transferred to Google Voice. She immediately offered me $9.95/month as expected. I was already on the $14.95/month deal from a few years ago, and now that's another $60/year saved. Green for OP and thanks.

I'm on the unlimited for $14.99 for life. But if this works, then I'm try tomorrow!...

That's the plan I had been on, too. It absolutely works, I got the confirmation email five minutes after I hung up.

I am on WORLD PLAN. Any body tried reducing it from $24.99 ?

dealanil said:   I am on WORLD PLAN. Any body tried reducing it from $24.99 ?

those idiots changed my planned to Vonage world as well..i paid like $ 63 a month, and i was having 3000 mins only..just canceled my service in the morning..called them again in the evening and got a plan for $ 9.99...call them and cancel ur service.. and sign up under someone else's name from ur family..

magnamover said:   Why doesn't everyone have Ooma? I never paid a dime for service and initial cost was $210 with number transfer 3 1/2 years ago. That works out to $5/ month and will only go down every month the equipment still works.

Had Vonage before that and that was the last time I had lousy voice quality and service interruption.

I have not tried Ooma so I cannot comment on that. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am not on Ooma because a POTS line is provided by my ISP, where I get DSL service, free aside from the associated fees and taxes which are about $10/mo. I was a customer when they were strictly DSL and they've actually lowered my bill so my monthly bill is only up $5 compared to when I only had DSL from the ISP. Overall it's down about $30 since I was able to cancel my AT&T phone line.

Here's what I get for $5/mo over Ooma...

Advantages I see for POTS:
  • Line powered so no concerns about phone service during electrical outages.
  • No concerns if the Internet connection goes out for some reason
  • No rewiring necessary to have POTS service the entire premise and multiple phones. I did install a DSL splitter next to the NID but that doesn't really count.
  • Fax, modems, security systems are supported since the line is POTS. Fax tends to be finicky on VoIP in my experience -- some fax devices work, some don't, some send only the first page and then lose connection.

My phone service includes the following:
  • Unlimited US calling, and 8 hrs free Canada calling per month
  • All services that were options on AT&T such as Caller ID, call waiting, 3-way calling, etc
  • Caller ID w/ name lookup
  • Electronic fax transmission via web interface by uploading a PDF or image file
  • Web based voice mail access
  • A bunch of stuff I'm probably forgetting

My ISP even has even applied for permits to install fiber here and will run fiber my home if it goes through. They will then provide 100Mbps service without increasing my monthly bill. Why would I want to switch to Ooma?

Nothing against Ooma, but my point is some people have excellent alternatives available.

You can get this for much cheaper see http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1154939/

Also, if you are looking for a home phone for USA and Canada only why not try Google Voice (see details here)?

theospurs said:   Does anyone know if OOMA or NetTalk are ok with most home security systems? I am in the process of dumping AT&T home phone service (still have DSL internet service with them - havent found a better deal including wireless router), but want something that will work with the security company. I know Vonage works, although they recommend you get their highest voltage package (whatever that means in terms of Vonage offerings), but I would love to go to OOMA or NetTalk if they work with security system companies.

Does anyone know how to port AT&T home phone to another service without losing AT&T's DSL service? I want to keep the DSL but i also don't want to lose my home phone number. A couple of years ago i tried to port my home phone service to another company (similiar to Vonage), but my DSL was also canceled after the switch was completed (without DSL the new phone service really can't function). So i had to switch the phone service back to AT&T and it was such a hassle to get my DSL back. AT&T told me since my DSL is bundled with my home phone, i can't port my phone service without losing the DSL. I asked them if they could seperate the two but said no. I had a feeling that they were lying to me, but can't really do anything about it. The only option i can think of is to cancel DSL and sign up for comcast internet, and then port my home phone to another company. Sometime down the line apply for a dry loop DSL from AT&T. But that sounds like a lot of work or hassle, isn't it? (i'd like to keep AT&T DSL as it still is much cheaper than Comcast).

Skipping 190 Messages...
I have World Plan now and with fees the bill comes out to around $38/month.  Called them about nine months ago to reduce my bill (told them I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, but before I switch I wanted to check with them) ...they gave me about $10 off/month for 6 months.....then got the same deal but only for 3 more months & with this the bill came out to around $28/month after taxes.

This deal just ended & got tired of calling them so bought the Ooma from the TigerDirect/Amex deal, & the number is already ported so can't wait until tomorrow to call Vonage to cancel.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.