• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is more of an FYI since it has been around, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I needed a large car to move some furniture this weekend and ran across Costco's discount program through the major car rental companies (Avis, Enterprise, Budget, etc). I have literally looked for hours (probably wasted too much time to save a few bucks at this point) and Costco was the best deal by far.

You can get a full sized SUV for $88 from Budget whereas the site is $200 even after discount codes. I think it depends on what type of car you want.

Costco also has other programs for car buying and travel.

877 849 2730

Member Summary

avis
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer

budget
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I know u probably keep Costco card out at pick-up. But if u didn't, would u be asked for one?

SinglePapa (Aug. 29, 2012 @ 6:06p) |

I always rent my cars at Costco and sometimes you need to print the ad to present when renting. I do not recall having t... (more)

shayzima (Sep. 09, 2012 @ 1:41p) |

I have used Costco with Enterprise many times and always got the best deal. (No one ever asked me for my card, but be s... (more)

sidrajg (Sep. 09, 2012 @ 3:26p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP!

I just tried this for an upcoming trip to the Big Island, one way from Kona to Hilo. Search tool quickly came up with Alamo, total price was about $60 less than the Alamo website, included free second driver (typically $10 per day), hundreds less than anyone else (due to the one way).

do you call costco at the toll free number or is there a website (link?) that can point you to the discount? thanks

I'm currently enjoying a three day compact from Alamo, Tucson Airport: $11.44 total.

Yes, Costco is usually the best place to start.

I used Costco rental for a car I used in SoCal in Oct. The counter guy could not believe I got the car for that price. He kept trying to up-sell me to different cars. "You're in SoCal. You'll be down by the beach. You need this convertable Camaro" Ha,Ha. I stuck to my guns and took the Fiesta at the Costco price.

This is a timely post and good reminder.

Costco must have upgraded their purchasing power recently - last year they just offered discount codes.

Today through costcotravel.com I just reserved a car at a rate ~50% lower at LAX than through Southwest.com or any other coupon code offers. Thanks!

Yes the Costco discount is good but I found it was best to get quotes at different days. The rate can change significantly like from $100 to $77 for a 3 day trip to Vegas.
I checked quotes for the same 3 days

Honolulu in April costs $60 per day for a compact car using Costcotravel.com. Is this a good deal?? I think I can get a better deal with the booking hotel + car together, but I don't think I get the Collision Deductible waiver than if I book directly using a CC.

Update: Costco prices change practically by the hour. I saw the same rental at $60 per day then at $40 per day a few hours later, then back to $60.

Also does booking through Costco the same as booking directly through the rental agency as far as the gold or platinum credit card collision liability damage waiver coverage is concerned? In other words, does the credit card statement say Costco Travel services or the rental car company?

Try changing your times when you check prices. Even though I was doing a 7 day rental it made a difference. While I was checking prices I just left the time at noon. When I changed it to 5:00 that night, also returning at 5:00, the price dropped $20.

Thanks for this post, OP. Was about to pull the trigger on a 5 day rental and decided to check fatwallet just in case I could get a better deal. Costco is definitely cheaper than any of the travel sites. Saving $25.

shank said:   Thanks OP!

I just tried this for an upcoming trip to the Big Island, one way from Kona to Hilo. Search tool quickly came up with Alamo, total price was about $60 less than the Alamo website, included free second driver (typically $10 per day), hundreds less than anyone else (due to the one way).
I got a hotel/car package on the Big Island through Costco. A fullsize car for 8 days cost $124 more than the lowest price I could find for the hotel alone. That's $15.50 per day, including taxes.

For some reason the Budget car was less expensive than the Alamo version. I'm glad because I read a bad review of Alamo there and the Budget reviews looked pretty good.

They redesigned the site a few months ago and now it's impossible to rent a car for international locations online. I spoke to them briefly and apparently they were unaware of the situation. According to them it's still possible to book with Costco discount over the phone but then you have to choose which agency you get connected to and don't have visibility into what you're booking.

So I just booked a rental car in Florida for the weekend going through USAA before I found this thread. USAA has Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz.

When I click the links for each individual rental car company through USAA, I get to a page for the rental car company with several discounts as links. Then I get to choose which discount offer I want, eg a free weekend day or some amount off a 5 day rental or something like that. If I want to try different discounts, I have to try each on individually. Then I have to do it individually for each company. Not so cool.

USAA does have a table that describes the automatically included insurance by going through USAA but all of them are the same except renting through Avis gets higher insurance coverage.

All the rental companies' websites work in a similar way except Hertz who I think has the worst setup. If you try to use a coupon that doesn't work for a certain vehicle class, it tells you the vehicle isn't available. For example if I try to use a "up to $50 off" coupon and I try to rent a minivan, then Hertz just says the car is not available. If I go back and leave the USAA code but take off the coupon then the minivan is available. The three others still give me the option to choose a minivan but just warns me the coupon doesn't apply.

Comparing Costco's site, Costco has already automatically applied any coupons or discounts and gives the best possible prices for each car company and vehicle class in one big table. No need to go back and check different coupon or discount codes or to get quotes for each individual company. The rental companies are mostly the same at both USAA and Costco except that USAA has Hertz and Costco has Alamo.

Comparing the prices I get from USAA and Costco, they are exactly the same for the few vehicles I checked for the three rental companies that the two have in common.

shank said:   http://www.costcotravel.com 877-849-2730

fixed.

Be sure to check the costco site daily or even more than once per day until you make your trip. I did this a couple of weeks ago. I needed a car at the Seattle airport for 4 days. I reserved a toyotal corolla with Alamo for around $64. Next time I looked next day it had dropped to $49 but the minivan which was previously $137 was now $64 so I change it for the minivan. Next time I looked the minivan was $49 - which is what I took and the end result was $45 for 4 days rental of a minival fully loaded. I was very impressed.
So, my suggestion, don't settle for the first offer - keep looking - it seems to change many times a day throughout the day.

Be sure to check the costco site daily or even more than once per day until you make your trip. I did this a couple of weeks ago. I needed a car at the Seattle airport for 4 days. I reserved a toyotal corolla with Alamo for around $64. Next time I looked next day it had dropped to $49 but the minivan which was previously $137 was now $64 so I change it for the minivan. Next time I looked the minivan was $49 - which is what I took and the end result was $45 for 4 days rental of a minival fully loaded. I was very impressed.
So, my suggestion, don't settle for the first offer - keep looking - it seems to change many times a day throughout the day.

pedror said:   When I click the links for each individual rental car company through USAA, I get to a page for the rental car company with several discounts as links. Then I get to choose which discount offer I want, eg a free weekend day or some amount off a 5 day rental or something like that. If I want to try different discounts, I have to try each on individually. Then I have to do it individually for each company. Not so cool.

That's exactly what Costco had before the redesign.

question: isn't it true that agents can't offer PRICE lowered from cruiseline's? (thus agents always just offer OBC or other gifts)

I noticed: Costco
1) lists lowered cruise price
2) doesn't list Carnival - world's biggest cruise owner

That seems high - I am booking an SUV in Honolulu in July for less. Is it good compared to other sources?

Thanks to you I just booked an 8 day SUV rental(ALAMO)in Maui during April for $248 (including taxes)!
That's $19/day for the car alone. Can't do much with the taxes.
This beat my previous reservation by $50 for an inferior car!
Great deal from Costco!

TakeCharge said:   Thanks to you I just booked an 8 day SUV rental(ALAMO)in Maui during April for $248 (including taxes)!
That's $19/day for the car alone. Can't do much with the taxes.
This beat my previous reservation by $50 for an inferior car!
Great deal from Costco!

I got similar results renting from Alamo in Honolulu during April. $126 for 3 days. I checked earlier in the week and everything was more. Thanks to the coupons, the SUV was cheaper than anything else by $40.

The highly touted Avis $22/day discount thread resulted in $116 vs $92 with Costco for the same SUV, time, and pick up location.
Kirkland strikes again!

A word of caution: Costco Travel doesn't always have the best deal. I'm being quoted $250 on it, versus $160 on the actual Alamo site.

This is the same price I get with my company's corporate discount, which I believe is 25%. This seems like a good/fair deal, but nothing earth shattering for me. I must admit some of the prices people are posting are pretty great though.

do we have to have costco membership ?

I just saved 100 by rebooking through Costco instead of Orbitz for rental in ATL for 3rd week of April.

You didn't used to need a Costco membership but now it is required.

dealisite said:   do we have to have costco membership ?

AzianFleeMarket said:   I just saved 100 by rebooking through Costco instead of Orbitz for rental in ATL for 3rd week of April.
cool! i am going to ATL the same week. whats the rate you got?

Three days at Denver in a 2012 Ford Focus for $66 total (including all taxes)!

This was $146, but I kept checking back for a few days and it dropped to $66!

i used a family members costco #. do i need the actual costco membership card to pickup? i doubt it...

I just used the coupon codes they show on the website and entered them on the Budget site. If you "Pay now" it's much cheaper.

I just checked Hotwire and Costco Travel for two trips I'll need car rentals, and the price seems to be about the same. Is there an advantage for using Costco aside from knowing who is renting you the car before putting a credit card down? That doesn't really matter to me. But I'm just wondering if Costco adds perks like travel insurance or any other services.

gusk1200 said:   I just checked Hotwire and Costco Travel for two trips I'll need car rentals, and the price seems to be about the same. Is there an advantage for using Costco aside from knowing who is renting you the car before putting a credit card down? That doesn't really matter to me. But I'm just wondering if Costco adds perks like travel insurance or any other services.

Going through Costco might include some insurance that you won't otherwise get through Hotwire.

If Hotwire requires that you pre-pay for the rental, then Costco would have an advantage because they do not require pre-payment nor do they offer pre-payment rates. So if in the future, you find a lower rate, you can go ahead and change your reservation or cancel it if your plans change. Rental car companies generally do not charge for canceling or changing reservations. Sometimes rental companies offer special rates for pre-payment and if you pre-paid, you may get charged for changing or canceling if you can even cancel.

I don't knnow the specifics of insurance included when renting from Costco, but I found the below from USAA's site. It varies depending on the rental company, but here are two examples.

Coverage included with a USAA rental:

$100,000 bodily injury or death per person
$300,000 bodily injury or death per accident
$25,000 property damage

Coverage included with a USAA rental:

$25,000 bodily injury or death per person or the applicable state minimum, whichever is greater
$50,000 bodily injury or death per accident or the applicable state minimum, whichever is greater
$10,000 property damage or the applicable state minimum, whichever is greater

Is this for US ONLY? I need an Aruba deal.

danteshors said:   Is this for US ONLY? I need an Aruba deal.
Before they redesigned the site, they had international reservations. As soon as I noticed the change, I spoke to someone at Costco and they were surprised international rentals didn't work anymore. They said it "should" work and suggested I call the rental agency reservations with my Costco card number and Costco discount code. I was just pricing the rental car at that time so I never followed up.

Thank you, OP!! This saved me a few bucks. I checked on Hotwire and assumed that was a pretty low rate. But after seeing this, I found Costco Travel to be actually CHEAPER with Alamo. I was skeptical of the rate till it told me finally it was inclusive of taxes and fees. Costco rocks, as always. Thanks OP.

Just add to the the great deals you guys have gotten. I helped my brother booking his rental for 6 days from San Diego airport to LAX for a mere $57.42 (tax and fee included) for a mid-size car. I am scratching my head trying to make some sense... just unbelievable deal.

Skipping 20 Messages...
I have used Costco with Enterprise many times and always got the best deal. (No one ever asked me for my card, but be sure to take your receipt. Sometimes they do not accurately reflect the discount, though when you mention it they have always given me an even better deal! I love Enterprise!)

But I have noticed that lately since Enterprise instituted their rewards program, I have often received better deals with the emails they send.

Blessings...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014