Tivo Lifetime $400 ($100 off) YMMV

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Thanks to this post I picked up a TiVo Premiere with a good antenna for $100. When signing up for service I used the code PLSR and it knocked $100 off the $500 lifetime service charge. YMMV, internet search suggested it might not work for new subscribers, but it worked for me and I'm new.

Member Summary

TiVo Coupon
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks OP - got the discount!

goofypitbull (Feb. 21, 2012 @ 9:08p) |

Brand new user here... Bought the antenna and premiere combo from BB and signed up with the code for $399. Thanks OP!!

imsachin (Feb. 25, 2012 @ 11:01p) |

Thanks OP! Just got Lifetime on my Premiere!

Computerbabe (Feb. 26, 2012 @ 7:41a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Windows Media Center guide is free and with cable card tuner(s) work as well if not better than TiVo, IMHO.

This is the normal price for PLS and has always been. Until TiVo won the lawsuit, it was $299; they made it $399 recently.

HyperX said:   This is the normal price for PLS and has always been. Until TiVo won the lawsuit, it was $299; they made it $399 recently.

No, PLS ia $499 on new boxes: https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do?WT.ac=tivohome_mantle_pr...

Redbeard25 said:   HyperX said:   This is the normal price for PLS and has always been. Until TiVo won the lawsuit, it was $299; they made it $399 recently.No, PLS ia $499 on new boxes: https://www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do?WT.ac=tivohome_mantle_pr...PLS is $399 with MSD, $499 without.

* TiVo offers a Multi-service discount ("MSD") on a monthly basis ($14.99 per month) or for Product Lifetime service ($399.99).
* To be eligible, you must be an existing customer with a current paid subscription to the TiVo service (a "Qualifying Subscription") as further defined in TiVo's Multi-service discount agreement
* To continue to receive monthly MSD pricing, you must keep your qualifying box active with a current paid subscription to the TiVo service.
* A monthly MSD subscription will revert to regular full-priced subscription at the end of the current month in which the new discounted subscription is no longer eligible for MSD (in other words, the Qualifying Subscription is cancelled).

Can someone please explain why TiVo is still relevant and think they can charge $400 for a lifetime subscription?
There are plenty of free choices out there plus last I heard the subscription isn't transferable to another box (no upgrade).

KYBOSH said:   Can someone please explain why TiVo is still relevant and think they can charge $400 for a lifetime subscription?
There are plenty of free choices out there plus last I heard the subscription isn't transferable to another box (no upgrade).

For the simple reason that it works simply and works well. If you live alone and are technically proficient you can bypass TiVo by other cheaper methods, but when you share the household with a spouse and kids it becomes exponentially more difficult to get a media pc type solution to work in practice.

AMEN Brother! The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is 10/10 on TiVo... about 2/10 for media center pc solution.... First wife question is "What do you mean I have to boot the TV?"

KYBOSH said:   Can someone please explain why TiVo is still relevant and think they can charge $400 for a lifetime subscription?

LT is only for the specific box & they seem to bring out a new box about every 2 years. Might be better to just pay monthly?

Hokie said:   AMEN Brother! The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is 10/10 on TiVo... about 2/10 for media center pc solution.... First wife question is "What do you mean I have to boot the TV?"

Mom & Dad factor here. I would have all HT PCs if could, but the TiVo is enough advanced for them.

Thanks OP. Code worked for me with an Antenna hookup. I'm down with the wife plus 3 kids factor. I would love to do the HTPC if I could get away with it.

TiVo's WAF is definitely 10/10. The lifetime service says with the box and maintains value on eBay very well. Just upgraded the TiVo HDs to premiers so I can use TiVo's excellent ipad app. With the use of pytivo streaming software you can even teach your wife to play the mkv's you have downloaded - the directory of files shows up on the TiVo. It also has very usable Rhapsody, pandora, Amazon VOD, youtube , Netflix, and music streaming clients as well. Would like if it worked with Amazon prime instant streaming but it does not.

poppagene said:   KYBOSH said:   Can someone please explain why TiVo is still relevant and think they can charge $400 for a lifetime subscription?

For the simple reason that it works simply and works well. If you live alone and are technically proficient you can bypass TiVo by other cheaper methods, but when you share the household with a spouse and kids it becomes exponentially more difficult to get a media pc type solution to work in practice.

We have no other choice other then cable or satellite and we have been using cable as long as we have lived in our town. Other solutions would definitely limit our choices for TV channels.

I struggled with $500 for a subscription cost and decided it was worth it even at that price; getting it for $400 was a bonus. It makes me a bit ill to spend that much on tv listing data for what will likely be 3-5 years. But for my family, that watches mostly streaming and HD locals, we're ditching a ~$60 Dish bill for a $575 upfront expense (TiVo unit, antenna, service, warranty, tax). Even if you account for an added $10/mo or so in streaming services we might join, and the fact that we potentially could have gotten a cheaper Dish package ($30-$40?), the breakeven is good...And I'm expecting the tv experience to be better for our preferences.

Subscription generally isn't transferable between units barring some sort of promotion, I'm not sure how lenient they are when a unit breaks so we bought a 3 year warranty just in case ($40 or less I think).

WAF weighs heavily on why TiVo vs Media Center or a cheaper dvr unit (ie: something like this?).

I just subscribed my TiVo Premiere to lifetime for $399.99 using the PLSR code. I just moved into a new apartment and the cable installer is coming tomorrow.
The timing on this deal was perfect for me. Thanks OP for bringing it to my attention.

Just got a TiVo Premiere last night. Never had one before. Used the code and got lifetime for $399. New 20.2 update is very nice for HD menuing.

My cable co rents their DVR's for $16/mo with horrible GUI and navigation and 160GB laptop HDs. CableCard if I ditch the DVR is $2/mo (free if I already have a DVR and am getting an additional CableCard). So I've got a 3 year payback on mine plus not having to use their old DVR tech that won't be updated anytime soon. They have whole house DVR that uses same old tech GUI/Navigation which probably is way more than $16/mo.

andrews said:   Just got a TiVo Premiere last night. Never had one before. Used the code and got lifetime for $3.99. New 20.2 update is very nice for HD menuing...

Now THAT would be a steal! $3.99

I'm looking at ways to ditch my TWC DVR service since the cost keeps going up and up. Can I safely assume a 4 year "lifetime" for this TiVo? If so, the $400 fee works out to approx $8/mo. which is only 2/3 what TWC is charging - which is favorable....but I also have to figure in the cost of the box and any Cable card monthly rental - correct?

Got a TiVo for Christmas and used that code to get lifetime for $400 and I've been nothing but happy.

To build a dedicated computer as a media center would cost more than $500 total, even with the best deals. I had WMC with my old roommate and while the interface is better looking than TiVo it is less intuitive. The only thing I miss about WMC was the ability to stream to my xbox 360, that was WMC's best feature.

hallf said:   I'm looking at ways to ditch my TWC DVR service since the cost keeps going up and up. Can I safely assume a 4 year "lifetime" for this TiVo? If so, the $400 fee works out to approx $8/mo. which is only 2/3 what TWC is charging - which is favorable....but I also have to figure in the cost of the box and any Cable card monthly rental - correct?

Yup, once you add $100 for the box and 4 years (your number) of CableCard rental (FiOS charges $3.99 per month) you are now at about $14.40/month. Which is about the same price I pay Verizon for my multi-room HD DVR that is replaceable whenever it breaks and upgradable whenever they have a new version at no cost.

JWolff said:   
Yup, once you add $100 for the box and 4 years (your number) of CableCard rental (FiOS charges $3.99 per month) you are now at about $14.40/month. Which is about the same price I pay Verizon for my multi-room HD DVR that is replaceable whenever it breaks and upgradable whenever they have a new version at no cost.

Except there is no aftermarket for your rented HD DVR box. I was able to sell my lifetime TiVoHD when the Premiere came out for over $400. You'd have no problem selling your Premiere with lifetime service for at least $300. That right there would make your numbers MUCH different.

JWolff said:   Yup, once you add $100 for the box and 4 years (your number) of CableCard rental (FiOS charges $3.99 per month) you are now at about $14.40/month. Which is about the same price I pay Verizon for my multi-room HD DVR that is replaceable whenever it breaks and upgradable whenever they have a new version at no cost.YMMV on the CableCard charge. I pay $0/month for my Comcast CableCard.

I think TWC charges $2.95/mo for a card, but I'd have to verify to be 100% sure. The resale factor is something to consider...along with the fact that over 4 years TWC will probably jack their DVR rental fees at least another $1 or $2 at some point.

I'm current using cable (Timewarner) and I wanted to switch to TiVo thinking it was going to be cheaper.

So I bought a brand new TiVo HD TCD652160 and a brand new TiVo Series 2 80 Hrs from Blockbuster (both are still unopened because if I can't figure this out, I'm going to return them or sell them).

After a little research, without the PSL at the discount rate (which I don't qualify for), I'm not saving much money.
If I pay monthly...there was no point to switch.
If I pay the full PSL for both...there was no point to switch. (after 4-5 years, the boxes will break or be obsolete)
If I use 2 Cablecards...it's cheaper than rent the DVR and HD SetTopBox, but I lose key features like guide.

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit?

Thanks for reading

readthepost said:   So I bought a brand new TiVo HD TCD652160 and a brand new TiVo Series 2 80 Hrs from Blockbuster (both are still unopened because if I can't figure this out, I'm going to return them or sell them).

{snip}

Am I missing something? Is there any benefit?
Series 2 can't use a CableCard. And S2 is only a single tuner if your cable is 100% digital.

So is there any benefit?

Thanks OP. Got the same one from worst buy and the code worked making it 400 bones

Thanks OP - got the discount!

Brand new user here... Bought the antenna and premiere combo from BB and signed up with the code for $399. Thanks OP!!

Thanks OP! Just got Lifetime on my Premiere!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014