• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I haven't tried it yet since my membership not expiring until the end of June.

JOIN COSTCO AS A NEW MEMBER and receive coupons for free
products and other great savings, valued at MORE THAN $50,
including:
FREE Kirkland Signature™ rotisserie chicken
FREE Kirkland Signature Spring or Drinking Water, 35/16.9 oz.
FREE Kirkland Signature 2-lb. bag of coffee – and more!

Also, form linkymoo is to be filled out and be taken to B&M for processing.

it is in pdf form so save a copy just in case.

offer expires 6/30/12.

Member Summary

costco
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The Kirkland House Blend is roasted by Starbucks. Amazon users rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

chibear (Jan. 25, 2012 @ 4:02p) |

I just tried it and since I had a membership 5 years ago, I am not eligible for ant freebies. New members only I was tol... (more)

ltjtx (Jan. 25, 2012 @ 4:40p) |

No, Kirkland is NOT an Aldi's brand!

Kirkland is Costco's private label.

Aldi's private label is Kirkwood.

Mamzer (Mar. 02, 2012 @ 8:18a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Isn't this what they always offer? We let our membership go--we didn't think it was worth it, mostly because the club wasn't close enough for regular shopping--and they sent us an offer for a $10 Costco card if we renewed.

Does this work for expired members?

The one thing I really miss from Costco is their Kirkland branded hot dogs, which are outstanding.

Flector said:   Does this work for expired members?

The one thing I really miss from Costco is their Kirkland branded hot dogs, which are outstanding.

If those are the ones they sell at the food court I hate to break it to you but they've changed. I used to love them but have gotten maybe 2 or 3 in the past month or so and each time they tasted different than from what they used to taste like. Almost kind of more like a kielbasa and pretty darn bland. Finally asked the girl behind the window and she said they have been getting a lot of people asking so she thinks something had changed.

Costco Kirkland brand hot dog recipe changed about 6-12 months ago. Don't know if they changed suppliers or what but the dogs are not the same as they were, even the color is different. Still a good dog, but not as good as before. Why do companies always have to screw up something that is not broken??

I miss Naked Juice Orange Juice by the gallon. It was SOOO good. But they switched it with Kirkland brand and it just doesn't compare.

I was considering joining Costco because their pharmacy rates look very low (us geezers have to have our cheap meds).
But I also see that they now accept EBT. I think that makes me N41. Thanks OP.

BTW isn't Kirkland the same brand that ALDI carries?

FMB1 said:   I was considering joining Costco because their pharmacy rates look very low (us geezers have to have our cheap meds).

You can get prescriptions filled at Costco without a membership if your state requires it of them. Couldn't find a list of which states but I do know Md. and Mt. are two. Costco wiki page says it's a federal rule, but no citation for it.

For pharmacy, you dont have to be a member anyone can access and get there rates.

FMB1 said:   I was considering joining Costco because their pharmacy rates look very low (us geezers have to have our cheap meds).

This has been posted before with an expired offer, but this is active. If a Costco member refers a friend who becomes a Costco member, you each get a $10 Costco card with this form.

http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/pdf/ReferAFriend_App_S...

Offer expires June 30, 2012.

And yes the hot dogs and Polish sausage changed for the worse near the end of 2008, about three years ago. They used to be either Sinai Kosher or Hebrew National depending on the location. They were great, and a great deal for $1.50 including a 20 oz. soda with refills (on the soda), which is the original price at Costco since 1984. As Costco advertised at the time of the change: The new Kirkland dog is "10 percent heavier and longer than the old," made with "100% beef with only fresh USDA Choice or better cuts" and "without fillers, binder, phosphates, corn syrup, artificial color and artificial flavors". Well maybe but they did not taste as good as the previous dogs.

rcglfr said:   Costco Kirkland brand hot dog recipe changed about 6-12 months ago. Don't know if they changed suppliers or what but the dogs are not the same as they were, even the color is different. Still a good dog, but not as good as before. Why do companies always have to screw up something that is not broken??

Actually Costco wrote an article about what happen. costco article link.

I also read somewhere else that Hebrew National could no longer keep up with Costco's demand.

The pharmacy was the one reason I joined costco (I used to just tag along with a friend/family member). Anyone can use the pharmacy, true but if you are a member you can get a special plan espcially if you have no prescription coverage or a high deditible. I saved $40 on one script per month and was very happy. Coscto also does not count does with $4 scripts(for instance if you go to WalMart and get coumdian they give you the 5mg 1 per day for $4, if you need 15mg you pay $12, at costco 15mg is $4).
I had been very happy with costco for over 10 years until this summer. My husband picked up my script and the pills were another color and a new manufactuer. I had a bad reaction to the medication(and I had been taking this med for 16 years). I found out that costco switched to a manufactuer from china. the medication binding agent was sugar? and it had a much shorter half life. Coscto said in order to keep costs low they have switch a bunch of medications to chinese manufactuers. I found out that 3 people had ben to our local Er over this new generic and most pharmacies in our area will not sell it. 2 of my friends found out thier pills at costco were switched to chinese manufactuers, they both felt like myself that I would rather pay a few dollars more and pills made in the usa.
Costco Pharmacy is very nice and Im sure if you brought a list of meds you they would tell you the costs and where they were made. My costco felt very bad about the pills and wished the could order int he old ones but they have rules about cost/profit and could not.
Sorry about the long post but when you mentioned you might be a senior, I know meds like blood thinners, diabetes etc need to be very careful with doseage and half life or complications could be bad.

sisterbear30 said:   

The pharmacy was the one reason I joined costco (I used to just tag along with a friend/family member). Anyone can use the pharmacy, true but if you are a member you can get a special plan espcially if you have no prescription coverage or a high deditible. I saved $40 on one script per month and was very happy. Coscto also does not count does with $4 scripts(for instance if you go to WalMart and get coumdian they give you the 5mg 1 per day for $4, if you need 15mg you pay $12, at costco 15mg is $4).
I had been very happy with costco for over 10 years until this summer. My husband picked up my script and the pills were another color and a new manufactuer. I had a bad reaction to the medication(and I had been taking this med for 16 years). I found out that costco switched to a manufactuer from china. the medication binding agent was sugar? and it had a much shorter half life. Coscto said in order to keep costs low they have switch a bunch of medications to chinese manufactuers. I found out that 3 people had ben to our local Er over this new generic and most pharmacies in our area will not sell it. 2 of my friends found out thier pills at costco were switched to chinese manufactuers, they both felt like myself that I would rather pay a few dollars more and pills made in the usa.
Costco Pharmacy is very nice and Im sure if you brought a list of meds you they would tell you the costs and where they were made. My costco felt very bad about the pills and wished the could order int he old ones but they have rules about cost/profit and could not.
Sorry about the long post but when you mentioned you might be a senior, I know meds like blood thinners, diabetes etc need to be very careful with doseage and half life or complications could be bad.

Switching manufacturers is a regular occurance at any pharmacy. With most drugs it does not matter who manufactures it, but with a few it does (for examply thyroid medication). Even if you had gone to your local CVS, the same thing could have happened (and does all the time). That is why the doctor has the ability (and you do, too) to refuse a generic, but if you are on the generic it gets tricky. Inform your pharmacist that you are having issues and ask him/her and your doctor which medications appear to change (for lack of a better word--the binding agent alters the uptake, but the active ingredients are still the same) if the manufacturer is switched (they know--thyroid medication, blood thinners, etc).

Many, many, many drugs are manufactured overseas, or the ingredients are purchased from other markets and bound here. I think you would be shocked (dismayed). Most of them are fine. Switching manufacturers is what makes low cost and free prescriptions possible, so don't hate Costco because of this incident--it could have happend anywhere.

Back on topic--good deal OP. And yes, the new hot dogs suck, but the kids will still eat them (so when I don't have time I feed the kids there, drop them off with the babysitter, and go out to dinner).

LivninSC said:   Flector said:   Does this work for expired members?

If those are the ones they sell at the food court I hate to break it to you but they've changed. I used to love them but have gotten maybe 2 or 3 in the past month or so and each time they tasted different than from what they used to taste like. Almost kind of more like a kielbasa and pretty darn bland. Finally asked the girl behind the window and she said they have been getting a lot of people asking so she thinks something had changed.
They used to use the Hebrew National hotdogs (at least that's what it said on the sign here in NJ stores) then they got their own branded hotdogs. They no longer sell the H.N. 1/4lb ones in their refrig section, only the small regular ones. Frankly I think they are lousy compared to H.N. but for $1.50 /soda I can live with it.

They are taking a lot of nationally branded products and dumping them for their own brand which I don't like.

Yes, Kirkland is an Aldi's brand. We do like them, but do favor Hebrew National.

BTW, I'll take Aldi's over Costco and the like any day of the week. They even warranty their products. If you don't like it, you get your money back. A few months ago, I had a terrible cold. I went to Aldi's and bought six boxes of tissues - these hurt A LOT! I was telling the cashier about this, and she instructed that if I brought the boxes back, even the open ones, I'd get my money back. I took those sadistic boxes back with my receipt. No problems at all.

Just joined and this worked fine.Received $10 gift card....and they mailed one to the member who I referenced.

Farish said:   rcglfr said:   Costco Kirkland brand hot dog recipe changed about 6-12 months ago. Don't know if they changed suppliers or what but the dogs are not the same as they were, even the color is different. Still a good dog, but not as good as before. Why do companies always have to screw up something that is not broken??

Actually Costco wrote an article about what happen. costco article link.

I also read somewhere else that Hebrew National could no longer keep up with Costco's demand.

Thanks for the link. I'd often wondered what happened.

Just canceled my membership today. Like BJs better, more organized and they accept manufacturer coupons.

I tried similar promotion last year and never got the coupons. My case was a renewal, my membership was dead for about 4 years. no dice.

No, I just tried it. I was using a referral coupon too for the $10 GCard and they told me that renewing members(I haven't had a membership in 5 years) do nit qualify for any of the freebies. Not worth $55 to join then.

What I love about the Costco Pharmacy is you don't have to be a member and you can buy anything from the pharmacy area as well. Vitamins, cold medicines, etc....I don't have a card but I do have 2 scripts there so I just get a few things every time and enjoy the prices on these items.

itsme13 said:   For pharmacy, you dont have to be a member anyone can access and get there rates.

How is the Kirkland coffee?

The Kirkland House Blend is roasted by Starbucks. Amazon users rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

I just tried it and since I had a membership 5 years ago, I am not eligible for ant freebies. New members only I was told.

Gnomie said:   Yes, Kirkland is an Aldi's brand. We do like them, but do favor Hebrew National.

BTW, I'll take Aldi's over Costco and the like any day of the week. They even warranty their products. If you don't like it, you get your money back. A few months ago, I had a terrible cold. I went to Aldi's and bought six boxes of tissues - these hurt A LOT! I was telling the cashier about this, and she instructed that if I brought the boxes back, even the open ones, I'd get my money back. I took those sadistic boxes back with my receipt. No problems at all.
No, Kirkland is NOT an Aldi's brand!

Kirkland is Costco's private label.

Aldi's private label is Kirkwood.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014