• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
i'm in...i've donated plasma before...process doesn't seem bad just inconvenient...least i can do though

Roefa said:   I have been donating blood for over twenty years and was regestered to donate marrow. I was eventually matched and went through the verification (additional testing) process. However, the hospital was in the city far from home and required someone to pick me up after the proceedure. It was very frustrating and unfortunate for the recepient that the agency did not offer any assistance. Did anyone else ever experience this problem? There are all kinds of agencies out there... Hard to believe that'd be a show stopper, even for the family affected.

I've been in the registry for about 10 years now, so I have no need to register again. I am passing the info on to my students though. Hopefully I can get a few of them to sign up!

So all these people in for decades and no one to help. Is it not nationwide or is marrow that unique.

if you are selected and they need your marrow, do they fly you to the location of the patient and put you up in a hotel? If so, could be a good opportunity for a free mini-vacation.

in...

http://marrow.org/Join/Myths_and_Facts/Myths___Facts_about_Donation.aspx

MYTH:
Donors have to pay to donate.

FACT:
Donors never pay to donate. We reimburse travel costs and may reimburse other costs on a case-by-case basis.

I have been enrolled for more than 20 years. Please join. You never know if you, or someone you love, may need a bone marrow transplant. It does not cost you a thing.

Thanks to all those that are in the registry, are planning on it, or have tried..

Also something to remember, if your in the registry, and god forbid you ever need a transplant, they will already have your information!

I registered 21 years ago. So far my Irish/Slovenian/German/Scottish/Probably-Everywhere-Else-ish blood (marrow) hasn't been needed, but I'd be honored to be called up anytime.

Clears up any misgivings or fears I might have:
"ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.í" Matthew 25:40 NIV

Bone Marrow Transplant (or BMT) is the last line of defense for many cancer patients. By the time the docs are looking at the registry, the prognosis is generally "we need a match, or you're about to die."

What is a human life worth? If it's someone who is close to you, probably a lot of your time, money, and love. If it is a stranger, why less?

My wife has one match.

He's 59 years old and in Norway. He stops being eligible to donate in 1 year, and it looks like her BMT will be long after that.

The odds you'll save someone's life may be 600 to 1, but if 600 of us sign up, that means that we have saved a life.

Thanks FatWallet. I'm in for 1.

Can I get 599 people to agree that saving a life is worth a couple of afternoons of watching DVDs while connected to a machine? Heck, I'm doing that right now.

A little boy in my town recently received a bone marrow transplant and is doing amazing, without it he would have died. Please register, you never know when you or your child will need this live saving procedure.

When I registered, I got the distinct impression that they would have waived the normal fee in a heartbeat if it had been any sort of impediment. I'm pretty sure it was well under $100, but it has been a while. If you'd be willing to register but there's no promo and the fee is a concern, contact your local center and ask if it can be waived or deferred.

I've never been contacted about a match, but made many deposits of blood and platelets. The platelets take a while, so our centers set you up in the first class seats with a movie. Great way to catch up on all the movies your spouse would hate!

I'm scheduled to donate blood next week. Anyone know if this procedure would interfere with that or vice versa?

BTW great find. I strongly believe in community service but my spare cash is essentially nonexistent.

DP

JaxFL said:   Roefa said:   I have been donating blood for over twenty years and was regestered to donate marrow. I was eventually matched and went through the verification (additional testing) process. However, the hospital was in the city far from home and required someone to pick me up after the proceedure. It was very frustrating and unfortunate for the recepient that the agency did not offer any assistance. Did anyone else ever experience this problem? There are all kinds of agencies out there... Hard to believe that'd be a show stopper, even for the family affected.

The agency said that they could not communicate any information between the donor and recepient's family. It was totally up to me to provide transportation to and from the hospital. I tried to arrange to have a friend pick me up but it was difficult in the time frame they provided. Good to know there are better agencies out there.

WalterGuy said:   I'm scheduled to donate blood next week. Anyone know if this procedure would interfere with that or vice versa?

BTW great find. I strongly believe in community service but my spare cash is essentially nonexistent.

No, it will not interfere. If I'm reading this right, when you sign up they send you a kit so you can do the work yourself and simply mail it back in. It's a simple cheek swab.

For me, marrow registration was handled by the local blood donation center - they did it at the same time I gave platelets. I think it was with a small draw to start the session off, so technically it was done prior to the donation. But they had to take my marrow sample twice, it was lost or somehow unusable the first try. And I was doing frequent platelet donations at the time - they definitely had no concerns about combining the two. In fact, they sort of advertised them together because you could very easily do the other at any time you were doing one.

green for you OP. good find.

Registered for a kit! Thank you!

Just went to the site to sign up and discovered you have to be between the ages of 18 and 60. Since I'm 66, that eliminates me even though I'm in excellent health except for low thyroid for which I take Synthroid. Wonder why those above 60 and in good health cannot donate?

dionaea said: Wonder why those above 60 and in good health cannot donate?
from the faq:
Q: If I'm over 60, why can't I join?
A: The age guidelines are in place to protect donors and provide the best treatment for patients:
Donor safety: As one ages, the chances of a hidden medical problem that donation could bring out increases, placing older donors at increased risk of complications. Since there is no direct benefit to the donor when they donate, for safety reasons we have set age 60 as the upper limit. It is important to note that the age limit is not meant to discriminate in any way.
To provide the best treatment for the patient: Research shows that cells from younger donors lead to more successful transplants. Thatís because younger donors produce more and higher-quality cells than older donors.

http://marrow.org/Join/FAQs_about_Joining.aspx#over60

In for a kit.

I just did it. Love it when Corporate America helps people in need. Thanks, OP! Thanks, AMEX!

Signed up. Thanks OP.

I'll risk the discomfort and inconvenience of actually being selected to donate marrow to be the match and potentially save a life. I know a young guy through work, 31 years old now, that required 2 transplants because the first one did not take. After battling cancer for 5 years, he is now cancer free thanks to someone being on this registry. I encourage everyone to do this that is medically qualified to do so. Just imagine if it was your father, mother, sister, brother, wife, best friend, child, or even yourself that had the misfortune of developing a cancer that required this transplant for treatment... the gratitude you would feel towards that donor couldn't be put into words.

Kentucky7887 said:   I can't want for them to start paying donors now that the law has been changed. I wonder when companies like the plasma places will pop up, would be nice to get 3k to 5k for a donation. Its funny how little that is though when the average procedure costs about 500k and your odds of being selected are about 1 and 600 if your are white.

I donate blood semiregularly at LifeSouth, and have donated platelets as well. I once asked (out of curiosity, not out of wanting to get paid) why they don't pay for donations anymore. The nurse said because the people who want to get paid for their blood / body fluids are not the kind of people you typically want to receive blood from. That made sense to me.

If you don't want to donate, no prob... those are not the worst offenders, IMHO. Imagine you need someone's marrow to live, you find a match, who then refuses to donate. It happens. I don't know how much, but more than it should. If you register, GREAT!, but please don't flake out IF you are ever matched.

got my packet over the weekend...swabbed and send it back postage paid...very simple

^ same

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014