• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
CEDAR POINT AMUSEMENT PARK - Free & Discount Tickets & Jobs - 2012 Season - Updated weekly - Sandusky, OH

Due to updating purposes this page as been moved to

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1214974/

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Bill12 aka BigBoyMichigan
August 23, 2012.

Member Summary

roller coaster
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

Thanks BigBoyMichigan
Disclaimer

Thanks BigBoyMichigan
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Gatekeeper

Click above to see the yet to be announced coaster coming to Cedar Point, to be built where the former Disaste... (more)

Slickone (Aug. 13, 2012 @ 9:46a) |

Slickone (Aug. 14, 2012 @ 2:41p) |

Cedar Point Amusement Park: discounted tickets: promo code cancer

$15.99 OFF ADULT ADMISSION ... ONLY PAY $36.00

mah1 (Aug. 23, 2012 @ 2:01p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Very complete and informative post on probably the best coaster park on Earth. Thanks!

This is amazing, thanks much!

I wonder if they still have that dual track wooden coaster and if so what do the people on each side yell at the other side now.

BigBoyMichigan, As Always Nice Work....

Gemini? Yeah, they've got it. I've only heard random things, not anything coordinated.

FYI we did "Dinosaurs alive" at Kings Island and let me just say how tacky. I would liken it to all the candy displayed at the grocery checkout isle, kids can't resist but just not any good at all. They're just trying to suck just a little bit more money out of you!

Judge Doom
Disclaimer
<== Still bitter about what they did to Geauga Lake Amusement Park

"i bought the red car to dismantle it!" - Couldn't have little brother amusement park taking away customers!

However.... thanks for the round-up OP.

RECENT CHANGES TO CEDAR POINT
=============================

RIDES DISCONTINUED
==================
Cedar Point DECEASED RIDES enhanced! - Film Courtesy of CoasterBob62

* DEMON DROP (1983-2009) — An Intamin freefall attraction. It was relocated to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom and opened for the 2010 season.

* CHAOS (1997-2010) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVbDyUx-_rU
A Chance Rides Chaos that opened as one of the first rides of its kind in the world. It inverts its riders in three degrees of motion: lifting, inverting, and spinning. Chaos is currently for sale and was removed after the 2010 season.

* WILD CAT (1979 - 2012) - A steel wild mouse roller coaster with 33 Million riders.

* PADDLE EXCURSIONS BOAT RIDE (1964 - 2011) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duT9Hx9rqbI
Boats that transport its guests on a relaxing voyage around Cedar Point’s lagoons past scenes depicting early Americana. Paddlewheel Excursions closed on Labor Day 2011 to make room for Dinosaurs Alive!, an attraction scheduled to open in 2012. Originally known as Western Cruise. I always loved riding the boat seeing the skelton cowboy scenes, The Rides, Seeing the train pass by during the boat ride. It will be deeply missed.

* The Spiral Ride - 1965 - 2012 - This is the Space Spiral observation tower at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. It's a Gyro observation tower that was built by Willie Buhler's Space Tower Company with the passenger cabin from the Von Roll company in 1965. The tower itself is 330ft/100m tall but the passenger cabin rises to the 285ft level. This ride holds the distinction of being the first amusement ride in the world to top the 300ft mark. This ride will close by the end of the 2012 opperating season along with the Disaster Transport bobsled coaster (in the building with the "12E" on it) to make way for a new project which is rumored to be the longest, tallest, and fastest Winged coaster from B&M.

* Disaster Transport May 23, 1985-July 29, 2012 - Disaster Transport is a bobsled roller coaster, meaning the wheels are not attached to a track as on a conventional roller coaster. The cars—resembling bobsleds -- operate within a steel trough, on which they are allowed to operate freely. This allows the ride to swing from side to side when turning sharp corners, as an actual bobsled would. The ride will hold its last day for a charity function on July 29, 2012, See Cedar Point website for details. The ride will be demolished along with The Spiral Ride to make way for a New Rollercoaster in 2013. Which is supposed to be the Tallest, Longest, Fastest Coaster In The World.

RIDES OPENS & ADDITIONS
=======================
* 2012: DINOSAURS ALIVE opens, I personally heard this attraction at Kings Island Sucks and its best to keep your $5.00 admission for it in your pocket.

* 2012 Minor improvements to the park, Giant Wheels lights replaced, Big Screen near Iron Dragon is removed, 2,900 new electronic lockers, Luminiosity: Ignite the Night! nighttime show.

* 2011: WindSeeker opens, Ocean Motion is relocated to the former Demon Drop site.

BEHIND THE SCENES OF CEDAR POINT OFFSEASON - Filmed 02/25/12 Courtesy of CoasterBob62

This video takes you on a tour of the front half of Cedar Point on a cold, windy day in February. Thanks to the folks at Cedar Point and PointBuzz for putting this event together. All proceeds (tickets were $15) went to Give Kids the World. Special thanks to my friend amusement420 for letting me know about this!!
The tour starts at Breakers East, takes you along the beach to WindSeeker, Wicked Twister and inside Disaster Transport. Then over to Raptor, Cadillac Cars and Iron Dragon, where a new staging area is being constructed. A quick stop at the Sky Ride station, then back to the hotel parking lot, where many coaster trains are being refurbished. You'll see I spent a LOT of time there!

There was a luncheon as well (I didn't have a good vantage point so I didn't record much of it) including an insightful speech by John Hildebrandt and a presentation on the new nighttime light show and party. Thank you to Bryan Edwards for being such a great tour guide. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to do it again! Filmed 2/25/12.

Best Coaster park in the world, and probably one of the nicest and cleanest, wholesome parks you can visit. If you love coasters, you must make the pilgrimage here at least once in your lifetime. The Millenium and Top Thrill dragster are my favorites.

For 2012 a Single adult platinum Pass is actually 179.00 (plus tax), you can only get it for $169 if you buy 4 (or more).

Lucky1Lxe said:   For 2012 a Single adult platinum Pass is actually 179.00 (plus tax), you can only get it for $169 if you buy 4 (or more).

BigBoyMichigan said: Corrected June 01, 2012 - Thanks for your help =)

Just a note that FAST PASS has been raised by $10.00 per pass which passes costs $55.00 to $40.00 per person depending on how many passes you purchased + Cost of your Cedar Point Admission Ticket, It has been updated above. Thats Cedar Point for ya!

Hi All,

I am thinking about renting a motor home. I understand parking is $17/day. Do you know if they will allow me to park there overnight?

Click To Enlarge
Disclaimer
luvdoublebrats said:   Hi All,

I am thinking about renting a motor home. I understand parking is $17/day. Do you know if they will allow me to park there overnight?

I called Cedar Point and they said: All Vehicles must be removed off the lot within 3 hours after closing, They offer overnight stays behind the park at:

Camper Village."

Camper Village Consumer Reviews - TripAdvisor

CAMPER VILLAGE
1 Cedar Point Resorts
Sandusky, OH 44870

I hope this info helps you.

Awesome post, BigBoyMichigan - thanks for the hard work you put into compiling all this information.

One word of warning about discounted tickets from meijer or Krogers: I believe the discounted tickets they sell are only available outside a certain radius of the park itself. Before relying on one of those two stores as a source for discounted tickets, I would call the particular store you intend to visit first to confirm if they have discounts.

Rumored to be a wing-style roller coaster in 2013.
Disclaimer

I loved this ride.Even though its at least 30 years old. I think they'll auction it off and scrap it.
Disclaimer
DISASTER TRANSPORT AND THE SPACE SPIRAL WILL BE DEMOLISHED

Last month, a leaked confidential memo hinted that Cedar Point would remove its Disaster Transport roller coaster and Space Spiral tower ride in favor of a new roller coaster in 2013.

On Friday, the Sandusky amusement park confirmed that the two rides soon will be history. However, the flagship park of Cedar Fair LP said nothing yet about a replacement ride to occupy their footprints.

In a written statement, Cedar Point said that Disaster Transport will cease operation July 29. The bobsled-style roller coaster began 28 years ago as an open-air ride called Avalanche Run but was converted to an outer-space-themed ride after a building was constructed over it.

The Space Spiral, a 330-foot tower that gives rides a 360-degree view of the park, also will close, but a timetable for its closure has not been set. The ride opened in 1965.

Cedar Point plans to hold a party for the final rides on Disaster Transport with a fund-raiser to provide park enthusiasts a chance to be on the ride's last train. The lights will be turned on inside Disaster Transport for the final ride.

In its statement, the park said it was dismantling the two rides, both near the park's front entrance, to make better use of prime space at Cedar Point and enhance the overall appearance of that corridor. No mention was made of the leaked memo that suggested parent firm Cedar Fair plans to use the site for a $25 million "winged" roller coaster that will open next spring.

Although it has been in operation for nearly three decades, Disaster Transport was remembered by former Cedar Fair chairman, president, and CEO Dick Kinzel as his biggest mistake while running the amusement park chain.

"The story I always tell about it is we had a dog ride and we took a dog ride and put a cover on it," Mr. Kinzel said in an interview one week before his Jan. 1 retirement.

"We had a board meeting on opening day and I had the board out there and some guy came right up to me with his little kid and said, 'You named that right. That's a disaster.' And he just walked away," Mr. Kinzel recalled. "What can you say?"

Does anyone know if any other Cedar Fair parks have any free ticket (or severely reduced price) deals (particularly Dorney Park)?

yakky said:   Best Coaster park in the world
I would probably agree, but it's not by a longshot. But it really depends on what kind of coasters one likes. Some might like the collection of coasters at other parks better. Just curious how many parks you've been to to make this claim?

yakky said:   and probably one of the nicest and cleanest, wholesome parks you can visit.
Never mind. You've proven not too many. CP is one of the top parks for thrills, but "one of the nicest and cleanest, wholesome parks" it is not.

yakky said:   The Millenium and Top Thrill dragster are my favorites.
FYI, it's Millennium Force (and is the one in my avatar), not The Millenium [sic].

No offense, I like CP (again, see my avatar), but see it all the time were people (especially teens) say it's the "-est" park or one of their coasters is the "-est" in the world, but have barely been to any other parks, many times consisting of only their local park and Disney.

yakky said:   Best Coaster park in the world.... If you love coasters, you must make the pilgrimage here at least once in your lifetime. The Millenium and Top Thrill dragster are my favorites.

A word of warning to anyone going on Top Thrill Dragster: 120mph in 4 seconds or less will rip anything loose off your head. I spotted a girls' hairband and several pairs of sunglasses from riders in seats ahead of me go flying past as we started going vertical. I'd hold on to or place in your pockets any sunglasses, eyeglasses, hats, etc.... Maybe they might make an exception for prescription glasses, but otherwise their policy is that if you lose it, it falls into the fenced-in area under the ride and it's gone for good. I didn't see any warning signs about this little problem, nor did they announce it as we were seated on the ride.

Freakin' amazing ride, though.

Loose Article Policy
For safety reasons, purses, backpacks, beverage containers or any other loose articles may not be taken on the following rides: Blue Streak, Lolli Swings, Snoopy Bounce, Woodstock Express, Cedar Downs, Corkscrew, Frog Hopper, Gemini, Kite Eating Tree, Magnum XL-200, Mantis, Maverick, maXair, Mean Streak, Mine Ride, Power Tower, Raptor, RipCord, Skyhawk, Skyscraper, Super Himalaya, Wave Swinger, Wicked Twister and Witches' Wheel. These items may be left in a locker, your vehicle, with a non-rider, or at the owner's risk on the ride platform. However, Cedar Point is not responsible for items lost, damaged or stolen.

Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster: Loose articles of any kind including purses, backpacks, beverage containers, etc may not be taken past the entrance, or in line and may not be left on the ride platform. Cell phones, pagers, or other small items must be secured in cargo pockets or waist packs. All loose items not able to be stored in cargo pockets or waist packs must be left in a locker or with a non-rider prior to entering the line.

Glasses must be secured with an athletic strap on Maverick, maXair, Power Tower, Skyhawk, Top Thrill Dragster and Wicked Twister.

Loose items may be secured by the rider inside the ride unit on all rides not listed above.

For safety reasons, taking pictures, videotaping and filming on rides are prohibited. Picture taking is permitted on the C.P. & L.E. Railroad and Space Spiral.

Loose articles are defined as cell phones, pagers, hats, cameras, stuffed animals, umbrellas, beverage containers, personal entertainment devices, purses, backpacks, etc. If you have any questions about our Loose Article Policy, please call 419-627-2301

lousygolfer said:   yakky said:   Best Coaster park in the world.... If you love coasters, you must make the pilgrimage here at least once in your lifetime. The Millenium and Top Thrill dragster are my favorites.

A word of warning to anyone going on Top Thrill Dragster: 120mph in 4 seconds or less will rip anything loose off your head. I spotted a girls' hairband and several pairs of sunglasses from riders in seats ahead of me go flying past as we started going vertical. I'd hold on to or place in your pockets any sunglasses, eyeglasses, hats, etc.... Maybe they might make an exception for prescription glasses, but otherwise their policy is that if you lose it, it falls into the fenced-in area under the ride and it's gone for good. I didn't see any warning signs about this little problem, nor did they announce it as we were seated on the ride.

Freakin' amazing ride, though.

That, and something could fly off someone in front of you and hit you (or someone on the ground).
FYI, Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ goes 0-128mph in 3.5 seconds! A kid on KK got hit by a bird weekend before last. https://www.google.com/search?q=bird+strike+kingda+ka

Also Formula Rossa in Abu Dhabi, UAE goes 0-149 in 4 seconds.

Stuck on the Millennium Force 300 FT in the air!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9GCCVdhMK8

^ They do that often, mostly I think if the there's another train still out on the circuit and not on the block. Or seatbelt problem, loose article, etc. Or they see someone using a camera!

Gatekeeper

Click above to see the yet to be announced coaster coming to Cedar Point, to be built where the former Disaster Transport and Space Spiral were. It's a Wing Rider, created by B&M (Bolliger & Mabillard), the same company that made Raptor and Mantis. B&M's are known in the industry as the most reliable and smoothest coasters. It'll be the 5th Wing Rider in the world (3rd in the US). The other two in the US are X-Flight at Six Flags Great America (Gurney, IL) and Wild Eagle at Dollywood (Pigeon Forge, TN), both of which opened spring 2012. Unfortunately X-Flight and Wild Eagle are fairly short, and Wild Eagle is pretty tame. However the Gatekeeper is supposed to the the longest, tallest, fastest Wing Rider so far, and features two keyhole elements that are right over the main entrance. Unfortunately since CP is removing Disaster Transport (and removed Wildcat last year), Gatekeeper won't up their coaster count, which will stay at a count of 16. Six Flags Magic Mountain should be opening their 18th coaster next year (and have removed 3 in the past 6 years).

X-Flight does have a keyhole element through an aircraft control tower (and a head chopper under an airplane hangar) as well if you want to check them out on youtube, or see pics here:
http://sfgamworld.com/gallery/imagegallery.php?pageNum_Recordset...
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/55453-six-flags-great-america-x-fligh...

http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/xflight/index.html
http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/Wild-Eagle.aspx

Cedar Point Amusement Park: discounted tickets: promo code cancer

$15.99 OFF ADULT ADMISSION ... ONLY PAY $36.00

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014