• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052&...

No more free extra 2TB HD, price dropped though.

Well, price now back to $299.00. Sigh.

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am having a weird problem with my HP N40L micro server and the HP Remote Access Card (RAC):
When I power the server off... (more)

visum (Feb. 21, 2012 @ 1:55p) |

You can have a hardware raid5 in 45sec and 95 bucks cost - Mine raid5 transfer about 235~250MB/s (yes big B)

KProHD (Mar. 23, 2012 @ 5:07p) |

you don't really need hardware raid with this box, at least for storage. i'm running linux mdadm software raid 5 on hita... (more)

christian1 (Mar. 24, 2012 @ 7:40a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Thank OP I really need one of these, also you think they will sell out or you think Im fine waiting till to are evening to buy one.

I waited last month. It was GONE in a day. And it was not this hot!

Green for OP. I've seen $249 for this same system but with Windows Home Server 2011. But, since you can get WHS2011 for $52.99 and this drive is currently $120 or so... this deal is MUCH better.

They must be closing these things out... a good deal, but on an orphan...

OneStepAhead said:   They must be closing these things out... a good deal, but on an orphan...

"on an orphan"?!? explainy pleasy?

Is this Machine quiet?

wildbottom said:   Is this Machine quiet?

Clicked link. Read spec. It said 22dba. YW?

In 4 one. Thnx OP.

The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

That free drive is like getting a free virus - potentially just as damaging to your data.

I've been waiting in the wings for this since the deal last month. I would have pulled the trigger on this deal if it had been (2) 1TB drives instead of the the (1) 2TB drive. The inability to mirror/raid this with a single drive is just asking to flush 2TB of data down the drain.

Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

You can add a hardware raid controller that the hard drive backplane will plug right in to, such as a HP P410 for $150-160. If that is too expensive, you can modify the case to use a P400 with a SATA breakout cable for a total of under $40 (and probably lose hot swap capability), or you could do software raid such as mdadm.

In for one. Thanks OP.

psychokids said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

You can add a hardware raid controller...

Or, put 2 - 1TB partitions on this drive. Add a second 2TB drive, and use software RAID. That is what I have been doing on all WHS I setup. This isn't a performance box, so (IMHO) RAID 5 is overkill and harder to rebuild in a major catastrophe (like a RAID controller crapping all over your data).

i got this drive for like $50 6 mo ago.

hyz516 said:   i got this drive for like $50 6 mo ago.

Congratulations, you're THAT GUY.

Can I use this computer (Serve Tower) as a personal computer (PC).
What's the difference betweent the windows 7 home server and the windows 7 home premium?
Can I use the windows 7 home premium in this computer? or I need to use the windows 7 home server for this computer?

whuhoyo said:   Can I use this computer (Serve Tower) as a personal computer (PC).
What's the difference betweent the windows 7 home server and the windows 7 home premium?
Can I use the windows 7 home premium in this computer? or I need to use the windows 7 home server for this computer?

This would be a pretty slow desktop computer and the video on it would be substandard. It is really meant for low processor server needs; or, an HTPC.

hyz516 said:   i got this drive for like $50 6 mo ago.

6 months ago there weren't floods in southeast Asia that drove prices up. I'm happy for you, I really am. Really.

Doldrums said:   psychokids said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

Or, put 2 - 1TB partitions on this drive. Add a second 2TB drive, and use software RAID. That is what I have been doing on all WHS I setup. This isn't a performance box, so (IMHO) RAID 5 is overkill and harder to rebuild in a major catastrophe (like a RAID controller crapping all over your data).

wait, you are running a raid5 array consisting of 4 partitions on two physical drives?

Too bad I'm all tapped out from the holiday. I'll wait for next BF deal.

psychokids said:   Doldrums said:   psychokids said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

wait, you are running a raid5 array consisting of 4 partitions on two physical drives?

Yeah.. that is just asking for problems, if the primary drive (the one with the 2 1tb paritions) dies, you are screwed and then what would the point of running that raid that way be? You wouldn't be able to recover your data. You would be better off running in a raid 1. Or just running a spanned partition (raid 0) and backing your data up elsewhere.

psychokids said:   Doldrums said:   psychokids said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

I'm guessing he is running RAID 10.

That would still be kinda crazy, you'd have to make sure your raid 1's were on separate drives, then raid 0 those together. Just seems like a plan for disaster. Just run raid 1 in a small environment, and back up your data elsewhere. Remember raid is not for backups great discussion here http://serverfault.com/questions/2888/why-is-raid-not-a-backup I would suggest syncback to anyone needing backup software btw.

travs69 said:   That would still be kinda crazy, you'd have to make sure your raid 1's were on separate drives, then raid 0 those together. Just seems like a plan for disaster. Just run raid 1 in a small environment, and back up your data elsewhere. Remember raid is not for backups great discussion here http://serverfault.com/questions/2888/why-is-raid-not-a-backup I would suggest syncback to anyone needing backup software btw.

Hey I don't disagree with you. It does give you some fault tolerance if a drive fails, but all my important stuff is backed up offsite in the cloud. Although with the Megaupload crap, I'm starting to wonder if even that is safe.

Just for reference here is what I'm doing. My local pc has 2 sets of drives, a 750g raid 1 os partition, a 1tb raid 1 data partition (not much there really, and no reason for it to be a raid 1 anymore). Anything of importance gets back'd up from my local pc to a linux box running 2x2tb's in a raid 1 (in addition all my music/movies/pictures are here), it does other things for me to besides being storage thus the linux, running zfs if anyone cares . Everything on the linux box get's mirrored to a synology with 2x2tb in a raid 1. Now, just because I have a extra 2tb external laying around, everything but the movies gets mirrored over to it also (won't all fit on a single 2tb anymore if I include the movies).

Over kill, yes, but if you've ever lost 13k mp3's you would understand. I have done data recovery and there is nothing worse than telling someone it just isn't possible with free tools. We do have a lab close by that will do it, they start at 5k, had a lawyer have to do it because he got tired of the back up drive being in the way and disconnected it.

travs69 said:   Just for reference here is what I'm doing. My local pc has 2 sets of drives, a 750g raid 1 os partition, a 1tb raid 1 data partition (not much there really, and no reason for it to be a raid 1 anymore). Anything of importance gets back'd up from my local pc to a linux box running 2x2tb's in a raid 1 (in addition all my music/movies/pictures are here), it does other things for me to besides being storage thus the linux, running zfs if anyone cares . Everything on the linux box get's mirrored to a synology with 2x2tb in a raid 1. Now, just because I have a extra 2tb external laying around, everything but the movies gets mirrored over to it also (won't all fit on a single 2tb anymore if I include the movies).

Over kill, yes, but if you've ever lost 13k mp3's you would understand. I have done data recovery and there is nothing worse than telling someone it just isn't possible with free tools. We do have a lab close by that will do it, they start at 5k, had a lawyer have to do it because he got tired of the back up drive being in the way and disconnected it.

Ahh see this is why you need to "share" your music and movies with someone else, you can always ask for it back from them.

No. I guess my post is misleading. I was talking about if you put WHS on this thing, then just mirror your 2 - 1TB drives to the 2TB drive. I'm not looking for performance in a backup / file server box like this. I'm looking for redundancy. And, I'll take a mirrored drive that I can pop out and read in another system ANY DAY over a proprietary RAID 5 controller's format. Any who has every had a RAID controller go bad will know what I'm talking about.

Used to actually, then everyone complains that they don't like how I have my music set up, or how I organize my movies, or why I don't have season 5 of tru blood yet, and then charter adds caps, so I said F'it Anymore if anyone wants a copy they have to come with a 3tb drive at least

Doldrums said:   psychokids said:   Doldrums said:   psychokids said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

No. I guess my post is misleading. I was talking about if you put WHS on this thing, then just mirror your 2 - 1TB drives to the 2TB drive. I'm not looking for performance in a backup / file server box like this. I'm looking for redundancy. And, I'll take a mirrored drive that I can pop out and read in another system ANY DAY over a proprietary RAID 5 controller's format. Any who has every had a RAID controller go bad will know what I'm talking about.

Are you looking for redundancy for uptime, or for file safety? My only concern is people run mirror's/raid1 for file safety and it doesn't really work that way if a virus, or someone accidently deletes a file raid 1 does nothing for you to recover that file. So when I jump on these conversation I just try and educate the difference. To many people want raid 1 because they think it is a backup.

I recently had someone lose every digital picture/baby movie on their raid 1 due to a virus, even though Dell swore to her that raid 1 protected her from that.. just don't want someone getting into that situation.

travs69 said:   I recently had someone lose every digital picture/baby movie on their raid 1 due to a virus, even though Dell swore to her that raid 1 protected her from that.. just don't want someone getting into that situation.

Everyone does it differently. Desktops backup to WHS. Turning on Shadow Copy services will help you with deleted files. And, I backup the files offline. So I'm MORE than covered. I only brought all this up because a guy said, "if it only had RAID 5". I'm saying if you use WHS or something similiar... raid 5 in this box is overkill. Just mirror your drives and be done with it. No raid / mirror configuration is going to save you from viruses. Backups will.

Agreed

Why not buy 2 of these babies, one to run WHS and one to back it up?

SteelRing said:   Why not buy 2 of these babies, one to run WHS and one to back it up?

... And put the second one at another location.

Does WHS support that?

you can plug in a fan out cable to run 4 sata drives and the hacked ahci bios to enable full speed on the other ports (esata/optical) and then add a p410i/p400/lsi(br10i/sc44g3) directly to the backplan for raid yumminess - then saw off enough of a HP nc360t and you'll have two more nic ports (the on board nic sucks).

esxi -> boot usb stick 2gb SLC
esxi 5 -> paging to ssd
esxi 5 -> raid-1/10 to some decent drives
esxi 5 -> dual nic to handle routing/ad/etc with proper vlan support etc.

you can add a cage for 6 more 2.5" drives in the optical bay if you are really crazy and with a decent raid controller the built in cage is hot-swap i've got a pair of constellation 1TB SAS and a pair of green drives in raid-1

with 8gb of ecc you have a nice low power vm server that can run mission critical apps like active directory, pfsense etc with a low power draw.

the use of SSD to enhance paging allows you to overcommit ram big time and esxi takes the paging file and stuffs it on the ssd drive(s) so the 8gb of ram can be stretched a good bit.

wildbottom said:   Is this Machine quiet?

Check the two 2-star reviews on N ewegg.

Skipping 121 Messages...
KProHD said:   Tozmo said:   The -only- thing holding me back from this is a lack of RAID 5. If it had that, oh man...

You can have a hardware raid5 in 45sec and 95 bucks cost - Mine raid5 transfer about 235~250MB/s (yes big B)

you don't really need hardware raid with this box, at least for storage. i'm running linux mdadm software raid 5 on hitachi 2TB drives and I can sequential read/write the array through samba shares at >100MB/s over gigabit ethernet. local reads/writes are ~200 MB/s but they never actually happen; i'm currently limited by my single-link gigabit ethernet.

i actually have a hardware raid controller (p400 w/ bbwc) my n40l microserver but I chose software raid for the storage array for compatibility reasons. due to the mdadm superblocks i can plug these HDDs into any recent linux host and recover the data, but if my p400 breaks I have to buy another p400 to get the data back. the samba and mdadm daemons combined only take ~75% of one cpu core when accessing the software raid at gigabit speed, so there's plenty of processor to handle software raid.

overall its a fun box to play with for sure. i have an n36l and a n40l and use them both every day.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014