• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
www.greenopolis.com

Look for the machine (seen in pic) now being put out in front of various supermarkets, WalMarts, Targets, etc. (see link above for more info/details)

Recycle the designated types of aluminum and plastic cans/bottles at the machine, scan your rewards card and earn your points!

Machines are open 24/7 if outside the store and don't require any purchase. They take all brands as long as it's the "right type" of plastic/alum. item.

registration link if you don't have an account:

http://greenopolis.com/user/register

Member Summary

Greenopolis (35.78kB)
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Thank you for registering at the greenopolis recycling kiosk!

Please keep your rewards card for future use. The rewards card will
automatically upload points to your greenopolis account and you will no
longer need to manually enter a rewards code online*. To use your rewards
card at the kiosk, press "sign in" on the left and scan your card to begin
recycling!

Remember to check out the greenopolis site to redeem your rewards points and
to learn the latest about going green!

Cool that Rutgets University in NJ has one

Thanks Mr. C. Only one chain of supermarkets has these in my area. Comes in handy when my car is full of water bottles and I was too lazy to put them in our home recycle bin that week.

good rewards??

I'm assuming they're not in states with deposit.

Otherwise, sure, you can have our non-deposit plastic water bottles.

New to most of the country, but they've been in Oklahoma for over a year and a half now...

lordoffire said:   I'm assuming they're not in states with deposit.

I knew nothing about this till this post but see there is one near me. It is in my state with deposit but a lot of plastic besides water has no deposit. I'd just like to see some feedback on whether this is worth it from someone who has been doing this. Are rewards basically equal to a penny a return? 3 pennies a return?

I mean is it worth my while to empty everyone's recycle bin into my car and take this stuff to Greenopolis?

JamesTKirk said:   lordoffire said:   I'm assuming they're not in states with deposit.

I knew nothing about this till this post but see there is one near me. It is in my state with deposit but a lot of plastic besides water has no deposit. I'd just like to see some feedback on whether this is worth it from someone who has been doing this. Are rewards basically equal to a penny a return? 3 pennies a return?

I mean is it worth my while to empty everyone's recycle bin into my car and take this stuff to Greenopolis?

Rewards have NO real direct dollar value. You simply get a voucher with a code to redeem towards a coupon reward at the greenopolis website once you reach certain point levels. Rewards are similar to mycokerewards, Groupon or recyclebank deals. You can create an account on their site to see current rewards and points redemption values.

I gave up - spent five minutes trying to get specifics on what they will recycle. They don't have any kiosks in my city, but did in one nearby that we go to once in a while now.

But my local trash service already collects some recyclables - I doubt I'd go to the trouble of taking any of that even to a kiosk at my regular supermarket. However, there are some recyclables that they don't accept and I would try that. Those probably aren't accepted by these kiosks either (mostly plastic clamshell containers), but it would have been nice to know for sure.

SlimTim said:   I gave up - spent five minutes trying to get specifics on what they will recycle. They don't have any kiosks in my city, but did in one nearby that we go to once in a while now.

But my local trash service already collects some recyclables - I doubt I'd go to the trouble of taking any of that even to a kiosk at my regular supermarket. However, there are some recyclables that they don't accept and I would try that. Those probably aren't accepted by these kiosks either (mostly plastic clamshell containers), but it would have been nice to know for sure.

The kiosks recycle Aluminum cans and PET 1 plastic bottles. No glass of any kind is accepted. I am not sure what else you were expecting from a modified soda vending machine? The dream machines are provided by Pepsico and the collection of recyclables is done by Waste Management.

http://greenopolis.com/goblog/anthony-zolezzi/merger-greenopolis...
Merger of Greenopolis, Recyclebank Infuses New Model With New Vibrancy

We have recycling pickup (w/Recyclebank points) in Houston,TX.

I do not see mention of transferring points from Greenopolis to Recyclebank. Just curious, I doubt there is any advantage to Greenopolis...

Nice of a company to use "green" in their name to imply good for the planet. Lets see build hundreds of machines . . . out of metal and plastic . . . plug them in for 24hours a day . . . give you points . . . and pocket the "green" for themselves. Local recycling center by far the way to go for both you and planet.

Closest one is an hour away. I think I'll have to stockpile for one large recycling trip.

There was no kiosk within 10 miles of me.

I'm curious guys why you would prefer to use this machine (and possibly feed each item one at a time) when you could wait in a queue and a helpful recycler will let you sort your bulk stuff into separate piles by type and give you a voucher to redeem in a supermarket?

JamesTKirk said:   lordoffire said:   ....

in my area, its illegal to take stuff out of recycle bins

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014