• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
shonen said:   Hi FWF community, I recently moved to the LA/Santa Monica/Bev Hills area and I'll need to sign up for some kind of internet service. Seems like there are a lot of CA residents on this forum, can anyone recommend any companies or point me in the right direction for additional research? Thanks!

Take a look over at DSL Reports for reports on different providers

shonen said:   Hi FWF community, I recently moved to the LA/Santa Monica/Bev Hills area and I'll need to sign up for some kind of internet service.

I'm in the same boat; I'm just about to move into the slums of Beverly Hills (90211) and it seems like I will be stuck with U-verse because nothing else is available. Certainly not Verizon/FiOS.

Unbelievable. You'd think Beverly Hills would have every option in the world.

It appears you do not qualify for our Service

SW Florida....

DSL Extreme $14.95 for 3mpbs for ATT for 1 year contract

Worked fine for me for more than 8 months now.

Get $20 CashBack to you account : Search google "dsl extreme code"

I too am in 90211, and using CLEAR mobile broadband now. $50 a month and I am consistently getting 5 Mbps download, 1+ Mbps up. At night i get 10 Mbps often. Just remeber signal tower is towards SE so aim CLEAR modem towards that direction. I have no problem streaming Hulu, Amazon Prime and uploading 100 mb+ files to Dropbox or Google Drive. the CLEAR hub is stronger than the Spot modem, so if you don't need the portability get the CLEAR hub express for faster speed and stronger wifi.

Best part is no contract.

Had AT&T DSL but they want $38/month for 3M download (but I never got above 1.5), and the price just kept rising. When I cancelled they said no more DSL in this hood, just U-verse from now on. They didn't even try to retain me. Time Warner Cable is an option but they are even more expensive and less reliable than AT&T DSL.

There are some bandwidth intense customers in Beverly Hills along Wilshire but they got their own T3-1, like most of the offices in Century City.

I have Fios since two years, but when the promotion ends after an year the price rises steeply. Right now I have triple play with internet @ 60/32 .

I believe sonic.net charges an equipment fee with delivery and return shipping costs whether or not you bring your own device or use theirs.
https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Equipment_Policy

snor said:   sonic.net has comparable pricing as well. But like others have mentioned, DSL speeds are really a function of your distance from the central office, which varies a lot for different subscribers.
http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/

lucky777 said:   I did prequalify with my phone and address and they wanted $29.99 a month with 12month contract. I get better pricing dealing with AT&T directly. Need to call them every 6 month though to get 19.99 a month for 6MBit. AT&T still has no download limit for me same pricing for me as well (Chicago). Is the normal non promo price the same as the month to month option? For me, that is $34.99

I have had the ATT $20 DSL for some time now,
I watch way too much Netflix/Hulu streaming,
and have never gone over the limit.

Or maybe ATT is just smarrt enuf to not charge me for it,
as then I would leave.

DSL Extreme has no monthly data limit as compared to ATT 150gb

ck90211 said:   I too am in 90211, and using CLEAR mobile broadband now. $50 a month and I am consistently getting 5 Mbps download, 1+ Mbps up. At night i get 10 Mbps often. Just remeber signal tower is towards SE so aim CLEAR modem towards that direction. I have no problem streaming Hulu, Amazon Prime and uploading 100 mb+ files to Dropbox or Google Drive. the CLEAR hub is stronger than the Spot modem, so if you don't need the portability get the CLEAR hub express for faster speed and stronger wifi.

Best part is no contract.

Had AT&T DSL but they want $38/month for 3M download (but I never got above 1.5), and the price just kept rising. When I cancelled they said no more DSL in this hood, just U-verse from now on. They didn't even try to retain me. Time Warner Cable is an option but they are even more expensive and less reliable than AT&T DSL.

There are some bandwidth intense customers in Beverly Hills along Wilshire but they got their own T3-1, like most of the offices in Century City.

Thank you for your very informative answer, very helpful.

Careful with these guys, I used them before and when they have you in a contract you better hope you never have any problems..

I was with DSL Extreme and then all of sudden my internet went out. Their customer service is awful. After two weeks of no internet service they said all I could do was wait for another tech or cancel service with them but I would still have to pay for service with them for 30 more days because I signed their contract which states "if there is any issue with the service, the customer must allow us to troubleshoot until the issue is resolved. It also states that any cancellations of service must be submitted in writing with a 30-days notice". Basically, you have to pay for service that you do not receive. They do not have any integrity. RUN really fast to another company unless you like to pay for service that you do not receive. If you are ok with that then you will be ok with DSL extreme.

I pay 20$/month for 12Mbit/s with CenturyLink, no phone service required.

Pamarama22 said:   I was with DSL Extreme and then all of sudden my internet went out. Their customer service is awful. After two weeks of no internet service they said all I could do was wait for another tech or cancel service with them but I would still have to pay for service with them for 30 more days because I signed their contract which states "if there is any issue with the service, the customer must allow us to troubleshoot until the issue is resolved. It also states that any cancellations of service must be submitted in writing with a 30-days notice". Basically, you have to pay for service that you do not receive. They do not have any integrity. RUN really fast to another company unless you like to pay for service that you do not receive. If you are ok with that then you will be ok with DSL extreme.

DSL Extreme is a reseller, buys service wholesale from local providers, who also provide service; like you, they too are at the mercy of the local provider.

I just signed up, and I was able to place an order, without having to agree to any TOS that I could see.

However, checking the DSLExtreme forum on DSLReports, there is mention that they will try to collect a $250 ETF if service is cancelled during the 12-month contract period! This is bad. OP, you should mention the $250 ETF. That would have prevented me from signing up if I had known about that.

ekn001 said:   DSL Extreme $14.95 for 3mpbs for ATT for 1 year contract
Worked fine for me for more than 8 months now.

Wonder what you've decide to do after your 12 month contract expires.
Mine expires next month.
DSL Extreme is better than ATT DSL because there's no download limit.
I hate to go to AT&T and they charge for going over limit.

My DSL Extreme $19.95 for 6 mbps with ATT for 1 year contract is expiring, so I just called AT&T.
The best promotion they could give is $25.xx for 6 mbps for 6 months. or $23.xx for 3 mbps 6 months, or $31 for 3 mbps 12 months.
Anyone got it better?

ann1020 said:   My DSL Extreme $19.95 for 6 mbps with ATT for 1 year contract is expiring, so I just called AT&T.
The best promotion they could give is $25.xx for 6 mbps for 6 months. or $23.xx for 3 mbps 6 months, or $31 for 3 mbps 12 months.
Anyone got it better?

It took me a few different reps, and explaining to them why a UVerse bundle didn't work (I need a land line and am locked in with DirecTV), and also explaning to them that for $29 a month I could get 20 mbps with Comcast for 12 months. Wound up finally getting 6 mbps for $21.50 for 6 months, they said I wouldn't be able to get this again since I've already had it twice. Sounds like it will be Comcast in 6 months. This deal was with AT&T for High Speed Internet Elite DSL.

ann1020 said:   My DSL Extreme $19.95 for 6 mbps with ATT for 1 year contract is expiring, so I just called AT&T.
Anyone got it better?

I'm on 6MBS down with ATT DSL, it runs about $50/month.
I'm very interested in extreme, but the seem to require a home phone, which isn't true of ATT DSL.

The one I have is internet only.

dcg9381 said:   ann1020 said:   My DSL Extreme $19.95 for 6 mbps with ATT for 1 year contract is expiring, so I just called AT&T.
Anyone got it better?

I'm on 6MBS down with ATT DSL, it runs about $50/month.
I'm very interested in extreme, but the seem to require a home phone, which isn't true of ATT DSL.

The one I have is internet only.

If you put in your address it will tell you if you qualify for dry loop. I did, although the highest speed I was offered was 3mbps ($14.95 for 12 month commitment or $34.95/month month-to-month).

I found the dry loop qualification - although in the OP's post the terms indicate a dependance on a local phone line that's not there..
I'm a little put off by the $250 ETF and some reports of marginal service, but I can honestly say that ATT has provided poor service and they bill at twice the rate. No competition in my rural area, so for $300/year, I may take a chance here.

I note that their list of a approved modems seems to be from 2004. I assume my ATT modem will continue to work. They offer a free "lease" with a $15 charge. I assume that means I need to return it.

BigKahunaFSU said:   comcast has the same 250GB/month limit.

In my Comcast account it says the monthly limit of 280GB has been suspended until further notice.

In my area, the only wire-line internet providers are AT&T and Comcast. So these guys must be reselling AT&T over here.

On second thought, I think I'll be calling to negotiate with ATT. The reviews on DSLExtreme are horrible. A few things stand out:
1) Any account changes seem to trigger a start-over of your original contract date.
2) They don't make it easy to cancel.
3) Apparently they charge a cancellation fee even if you're out of contract and don't give a months notice.
4) Their "free" lease modem is billed at $100 if not returned.. (no surprise)
5) They're not responsible for lack of connectivity and apparently don't give up the ETF even if connectivity is down for many days at a time. The fee is $250.
6) The intro yearly fee is teaser - apparently it goes up, just like every other internet provider.

References:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dsl-extreme-chatsworth
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/dsl-extreme.html

If they appeared to be a little more ethical with customers that they couldn't serve, I might bite... but wow...

I've been with DSL Extreme for about a year and a half now. When I moved here, AT&T was an option, but I disliked the caps, so I found DSL Extreme a nice option. The price for service was great, but unfortunately I can't go dry loop as those are part of their terms with AT&T and the phone line pricing is ridiculous. Now, though, AT&T isn't even offered to new sign-ups, so I'm sticking it out. Regardless, I've had a few issues lately but mostly with the outside line quality and AT&T are terrible about fixing it (on my 4th house visit this week, and I keep receiving promises for a new drop but no such luck).

Anyway, I originally signed up for 3 Mbps, the fastest I could at the time, but shortly after I was able to bump up to 6 Mbps (and I receive a promising 5 Mbps download speed, which is as best as could be hoped with PPPoE). Now I've renewed the subscription which actually *lowered* my price by about $5/mo.

Beware: DSL Extreme charges a monthly fee of a dollar or two. Actually it is some kind of a tax that you must pay. It is something to do with leasing the line from AT&T. AT&T does not charge this tax. I forgot the exact name of the tax, but it adds a couple bucks to the cost of your Internet each month.

MrVietnam said:   Beware: DSL Extreme charges a monthly fee of a dollar or two. Actually it is some kind of a tax that you must pay. It is something to do with leasing the line from AT&T. AT&T does not charge this tax. I forgot the exact name of the tax, but it adds a couple bucks to the cost of your Internet each month.

AT&T charges junk fees too that are not legally required.

I prequalified but the best package was at 5 mbps and was $55/mo. This was in south central pa

I prequalified but the best package was at 5 mbps and was $55/mo. This was in south central pa

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014