• Text Only
You're not putting Alarm Relay's response in context. Really bugs me when people post uninformed stuff.

Monitoring in year 1, by phone line, is $8.95. Then $9.95 then $10.45 and on.

If you can't monitor by phone, other solutions include their ARIM device (one time fee, no ongoing surcharge), IP device (same), or cellular (free if you find a compatible device and pay the minutes, $12 per month for some other devices because they have to send it through a 3rd party who keeps the minutes loaded - and you have to buy the device). IF you want to be able to utilize your cellphone for arming/disarming, etc. - that requires a higher fee (perhaps your $20 per month surcharge) because they have to pay a 3rd party to provide the capability.

I use AlarmRelay with a cellular device that I bought and pay $10.45 + 12 = $22.45 per month. I have no need to do anything with my smartphone related to the alarm.

EradicateSpam said:   You're not putting Alarm Relay's response in context. Really bugs me when people post uninformed stuff.

Monitoring in year 1, by phone line, is $8.95. Then $9.95 then $10.45 and on.

If you can't monitor by phone, other solutions include their ARIM device (one time fee, no ongoing surcharge), IP device (same), or cellular (free if you find a compatible device and pay the minutes, $12 per month for some other devices because they have to send it through a 3rd party who keeps the minutes loaded - and you have to buy the device). IF you want to be able to utilize your cellphone for arming/disarming, etc. - that requires a higher fee (perhaps your $20 per month surcharge) because they have to pay a 3rd party to provide the capability.

I use AlarmRelay with a cellular device that I bought and pay $10.45 + 12 = $22.45 per month. I have no need to do anything with my smartphone related to the alarm.

Here is what they replied.....
Purchasing your own cell module has no impact on the monitoring fees from . Once you have your cell module installed and if you sign up with us as a customer, we will activate the cell unit using the activation information located on the chip and then once we do that the cell provider will charge us, Alarm Relay, a monthly fee, which we then pass onto the client. Cell monitoring through us ranges anywhere between $20.95 to $23.95 per month plus a one-time programming fee of $35 to $60 depending on the model of the cellular communicator your panel will be using.
My whole point of going the DIY route was to save money on monitoring ....ooh well.
Its cheaper than ADT but they want the year paid upfront and not so much savings

So you got down from $28.95 to $20.95 to $23.95... Which is closer to accurate unless you want the enhanced capability.

I did miss the additional programming fee, I got charged $45 when I added that.

You have to look at it as the ongoing charge - $20.95 - $22.45 per month is a savings over ADT. I've heard of people paying $50 a month in a 3 year contract.

Then, add more sensors and get MORE insurance discounts. Flood sensor, freeze sensor, CO sensor. All cost $10 - $50 on eBay, all generate annual savings of $50ish on your insurance. I make a profit each year on my alarm monitoring by my insurance savings.

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   I took the plunge last year to install my own security system in my home.. I found that that the installers around my area would charge double what HomeSecurityStore.com would sell the equipment for and then they would lock you in for a minimum of 2 years at $30 a month average monitoring.. It just didn't make any financial sense to have them install and monitor.. I eventually settled for the DSC 1616 system with wireless motions, door sensors, smoke alarms, flood sensors and remote keyfobs.. The toughest part of the installation was running the wires for the two keypads and the siren to the panel.. I did get into some problems with the programming but HomeSecurityStore.com has lifetime technical support on what you buy and they helped me out a few times while I dialed in the programming on my system.. I would recommend you get at least one alpha-numerical message keypad for your system to help with the programming..

I only do cellular monitoring since I have VoIP and my cable lines are easily accessible by the driveway and if cut I would lose phone and internet.. My cellular monitoring was setup through YourAlarm.com and they seemed to offer the best rates when you purchased an annual commitment in advance.. I also added a Eyez-On Envisalink module to my panel for $99 which allows me to control and monitor my system through any internet enabled device free of charge..

Thank you Hypnosis4u2nv...glad I found this post.
Looks like I will order Eyez-On Envisalink from here
Gives the option to have 3rd party monitoring over internet for as little as $8.99 per month.

Wish they had a wireless version , would be so good not to run all the cable to the panel

That would be the IP monitoring option that I mentioned which AlarmRelay also offers. You buy the board, then buy the monitoring with no additional monthly cost.

I did not go for this solution because of my experience with a prior device. What I found is that the technology and the providers race to keep up. If your internet goes down they know that, but they don't know why (just like with phone line). Problem is, internet goes down much more often than your phone does. Cable systems go down in the middle of the night for maintenance. Yesterday my internet was down for an hour for no reason. I also found that when the power goes out, and things reboot, often the device I had wouldn't re-establish connection since everything (cable modem, router, communication device) all booted together. I had to turn them all off and reboot cable modem, wait like 3 minutes, then router, then internet communication module. And if power goes out, you're SOL. Some cell devices operate off the alarm system's battery, so you get a day or more backup power.

I then experienced issues where the device worked, but the communication to the monitoring station had issues. They ultimately decided it was a Comcast / Cox issue they couldn't resolve, but during months of diagnosis it showed me they were far outside their comfort zone. Cable modem goes out, you have no monitoring. Router goes out, you have no monitoring.

Lastly - security. If you're connected to the internet, you're vulnerable. Hackers everywhere, countries attacking our infrastructure. You're hooking a board to your system that has the ability to arm and disarm it and you have no idea of its ability to protect itself. Your router is the only thing stopping hackers from getting to your alarm system. I don't even have my system setup for remote access by my monitoring company, didn't with a phone line either.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere but for those of you who have an Ademco alarm system and are interested in reactive monitoring (where you'd just get alerts/notifications via emails/cellphone/whatever, you could pick up an ad2usb (google it).

The caveat is that it will take some level of programming/hacking to be made useful. It's basically a USB keypad interface (wired onto the panel just like you're connecting another keypad), so it can send/receive signals between the panel and the computer it's plugged into.

In my case, I hooked it up then plugged it into an old Linksys NSLU2 (running a Linux distro). There's a simple program called "ser2sock" written to communicate with the ad2usb. From there, the possibilities are endless (at least, if you're a developer/hacker or just plain interested). I had mine outputting all events to a log, and then I have ossec monitoring the log to send alerts via email and even texts (probably could be more straightforward if you just program these eventhandlers into ser2sock, etc). Actually the whole rig is currently down because I was having networking issues. Obviously, it's as 'redundant' and 'failsafe' as you make it haha. But pretty cool if you're interested in tinkering.

You can also interface to the ad2usb via ser2sock, so you can send equivalent keypad commands, etc. Pretty nifty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014