• Text Only
owenyuen said:   I purchased a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean 4.1 installed from google play store. I installed the Foxfi yesterday night & somehow I tried activate the WIFI hotspot but failed.

Any idea? Btw, I have T-Moblie 4G $30 unlimited prepaid plan.

Many thanks

I have the same phone and plan, I know I have used the hotspot before through FoxFi. I just went to try and start it up and it failed. Possibly I used it successfully when it still had ICS, pre-Jellybean. That's disappointing.

Any success putting this app on the Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) bought from Google Play?

Works great on my Verizon Droid RAZR maxx 4g lte with government unlimited plan. Its actually faster than my Comcast cable over wifi.

so I am using a Motorola Droid with Kitty Wireless prepaid. Will this work for me or do you have to be with one of the big boys?

It will work fine with Kitty Wireless (PagePlus), you probably don't have a lot of share-power unless you're on the 55 though. I'm not positive about the original Droid, I think that one might not be a good match for FoxFi (check the description on Google play).

Thx OP! Awesome app!

Sprint users take note:

*Sprint has removed FoxFi from Play Store. Sprint users must install/upgrade FoxFi from http://foxfi.com/bin instead. There are more installation instructions on that page.

Don't try to go to foxfi.com. You will end up at the Play store and it will say that your carrier doesn't support the app.

Can not use on my E4GT Sprint phone after ICS updated.

Borodeva said:   Thx OP! Awesome app!

Sprint users take note:

*Sprint has removed FoxFi from Play Store. Sprint users must install/upgrade FoxFi from http://foxfi.com/bin instead. There are more installation instructions on that page.

Don't try to go to foxfi.com. You will end up at the Play store and it will say that your carrier doesn't support the app.

Did you update your phone to ICS?
I can not use Foxfi after ICS updated.

Tooch43 said:   I have a Samsung Epic 4G with Sprint and it worked great for me.

Used foxfi on my samsung galaxy prescedent and got it to work with my ps3 two times but I cant get it to connect consistently even if I dont change my settings, o cant figure this problem out on my own. Anyone have any advice?

I couldnt use it after upgrading initially so I went to the Google Play store to see if the app mentioned anything about it. Turns our it does. They say to try changing the name of your network. I did that and everything is working great on my Droid RAZR MAXX on Verizon

I can no longer use FoxFi after the recent Samsung ICS update.

Thanks OP

Obama administration just ruled that Verizon cannot restrict this app for customers using 4G with capped data plans. Side effect is it may be technically unfeasible for Verizon to block the app for people with unlimited data plans (until these plans get phased out).

This ruling only applies to Verizon 4G because of the way that radio frequency was acquired.

johnny98 said:   Obama administration just ruled that Verizon cannot restrict this app for customers using 4G with capped data plans. Side effect is it may be technically unfeasible for Verizon to block the app for people with unlimited data plans (until these plans get phased out).

This ruling only applies to Verizon 4G because of the way that radio frequency was acquired.

Good to know! What it the name of the ruling?
I regards to the phase out of unlimited data plans, that technically is not going to happen. While Verizon will eventually phase out the individual customers, they're still selling unlimited data on corporate/government plans. Their billing system, of course, knows the difference but I doubt it's feasible to track the plan on the technical side.

Yoksel said:   johnny98 said:   Obama administration just ruled that Verizon cannot restrict this app for customers using 4G with capped data plans. Side effect is it may be technically unfeasible for Verizon to block the app for people with unlimited data plans (until these plans get phased out).

I regards to the phase out of unlimited data plans, that technically is not going to happen. While Verizon will eventually phase out the individual customers, they're still selling unlimited data on corporate/government plans. Their billing system, of course, knows the difference but I doubt it's feasible to track the plan on the technical side.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/241383-fcc-s...

As part of the settlement with the FCC, Verizon agreed to allow its customers to use tethering applications without paying an extra fee. A Verizon spokesman said the company makes "clear to our customers that when using our services, they can go where they want and do what they want on the Internet, using the lawful applications and devices of their choice."

PhDeez said:   lesliejs said:   rapp said:   Wow hope the carriers won't stop the unlimited plans!!

not that they would care, but hotspot should be free. Data is data, you're still using data through your phone if you enable this feature. They shouldn't have to tell the customer how the customer can use a feature of the equipment that they PAID for!

I guess they don't want people to replace their home internet (cable/DSL) and make it their "only" way to connect to the internet. Could you imagine the data usage on cell networks running bittorrent, Netflix streaming, Amazon vod, etc? Remember when people were griping about the 250GB Comcast limit?

Yes, they're all 1's and 0's but the bulk is why providers have gone to tiered plans. Although I don't "like" the Tmobile structure of XXXmb of 4G then the rest 2G, that's better than ATT/Verizon with overage fees. I've had Sprint for awhile now and although coverage isn't "awesome" like V/Tmo in my area, it's the cheapest option with SeroP+4G.

I travel allot and have a MIFI with an unlimited plan from ATT(old plan). I use for everything and when I am at home I regularly use 60-80gb a month on Netflix. I recently tried to upgrade to a 4LTE MIFI but they said I would need another plan and I would loose my current "unlimited" one. So I am staying with my 3g plan until they find a way of doing away with it.

Has anyone gotten Foxfi to work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint, after the software update?

Gonna try it out om my republic wireless optimus V

ETA
works fine on the above combo
had to install direct from Foxfi website(like Sprint instructions)

WindWalker said:   Gonna try it out om my republic wireless optimus V

ETA
works fine on the above combo
had to install direct from Foxfi website(like Sprint instructions)

That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

FeedMyWallet said:   Has anyone gotten Foxfi to work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint, after the software update?damn it, i can't get it to work either.

can this be used with att with 200mb data plan? it lookslike it still uses data connection?

FeedMyWallet said:   Has anyone gotten Foxfi to work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint, after the software update?

Still doesn't work with the latest ICS update. They are working on it though.

jaggu00 said:   can this be used with att with 200mb data plan? it lookslike it still uses data connection?

Foxfi will use your phone's data plan to provide Wi-Fi to other devices, so the answer is Yes, and at 200mb, you will run through that pretty quickly with any kind of browser activity from a pc or tablet.

Does it work for iPhone

Awesome. Works like a champ on Samsumg S2 with ICS upgrade on Sprint.

linrick said:   FeedMyWallet said:   Has anyone gotten Foxfi to work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint, after the software update?damn it, i can't get it to work either.

For those of you who are having problems with this after upgrading to ICS....

Open up FoxFi, and change the network name. I think the default is FoxFi or FoxFi20. Just add a letter, etc after that (FoxFiA, or something similar). Then set it up like new on your laptop, tablet, etc using the new network name.

Does it work on Jellybean since it won't work on mine?

I am using it on my GNEX running ICS 4.0.4 on VZW since this thread was posted with no issue at all, love it, thanks again OP

Still works great on my Samsung SPH-D710 Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G from Sprint

No root? What fun is that?

It's working for me on Verizon Galaxy S3 but not without issues. I use the WiFi method. It won't work with a password set so I have to run a hotspot available to everyone around and also the speed is lost somewhere in translation - while the phone runs about 15-20 Mb, the computer over FoxFi only shows about 2-3 Mb. Sometimes the computer cannot see the hotspot at all and both have to be rebooted - it's really strange as I haven't noticed something like this happenning with any other network.

I read that there is no way to hide tethering usage. However, what about that FoxFi Add-on? They claim it hides tethering usage when using the proxy server address which they recommend in the add-on app. Is this correct? Does it hide the tethering?

I owned Galaxy Nexus phone with Jellybean 4.1 installed. I bought this phone from google play a month ago.

I know FoxFI won't work on Jellybean 4.1 yet. Now, I go to Setting from menu, turning on the as WIFI HOTSPOT feature. If I connect WIFI with either my computer or tablet through this WIFI HOTSPOT, does it free or Tmoblie will charge me as Smartphone moblie hotspot for 15 per month?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

By the way, I have unlimited Web & Text with 100 mines talk for $30 monthly.

Thanks for advice!

johnny98 said:   Yoksel said:   johnny98 said:   Obama administration just ruled that Verizon cannot restrict this app for customers using 4G with capped data plans. Side effect is it may be technically unfeasible for Verizon to block the app for people with unlimited data plans (until these plans get phased out).

As part of the settlement with the FCC, Verizon agreed to allow its customers to use tethering applications without paying an extra fee. A Verizon spokesman said the company makes "clear to our customers that when using our services, they can go where they want and do what they want on the Internet, using the lawful applications and devices of their choice."

Does anyone know when they are going to start allowing us to tether without paying their extra fee?

dalesimpson said:   johnny98 said:   Yoksel said:   johnny98 said:   Obama administration just ruled that Verizon cannot restrict this app for customers using 4G with capped data plans. Side effect is it may be technically unfeasible for Verizon to block the app for people with unlimited data plans (until these plans get phased out).

Does anyone know when they are going to start allowing us to tether without paying their extra fee?

The linked article says Verizon 4G users can tether using apps like the one in the OP without paying extra fees. This should be effective immediately. The ruling does not affect people not using Verizon 4G.

Not sure that is correct (the 4G only or 3G part being not included).

From CNET News said: If I have a 3G wireless device will I be able to tether for free or does this only apply to 4G devices that use the 700 MHz spectrum that has these conditions?

The short answer to your question is yes. But it is a little confusing, because the open access rules requiring Verizon to allow any device or app access to its network only applies to the 700 MHz C block spectrum that's being used to build Verizon's 4G LTE service. But Verizon says this is the policy for all of its services. "Customers on usage-based plans can use third-party apps to tether and pay according to data plans. They can still use Mobile Broadband Connect for $20 if that makes sense as part of their plan," the company said in a statement.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57485518-94/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/

rmi65700 said:   Still works great on my Samsung SPH-D710 Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G from Sprint

Don't do the OTA upgrade to ICS then. It will kill it for you if you use the WiFi method. Bluetooth DUN will still work though.

FeedMyWallet said:   Has anyone gotten Foxfi to work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint, after the software update?

Nope not yet. It will work via Bluetooth DUN though.

wanted to update on my REPUBLIC Moto Defy....no go!
it reboots every time i attempt to activate the hotspot - so i've uninstalled the "add on" in the market and it does the same thing.
at least with the OPTIMUS it would reboot ONCE and then let me activate after the reboot - the defy is being very defiant!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014