• 1 234511
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

Enables WiFi or Bluetooth Hotspot on your Android phone without a Hotspot plan from your carrier. No rooting required! Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung phones and Motorola phones, LG Optimus/Vortex/Ally, ZTE N762, HuaWei Comet. WiFi mode does NOT work on any HTC phones or the first Motorola Droid/Triumph, use Bluetooth mode instead.
You can connect from any tablets or computers. Access Point is infrastructure mode with WPA2 security. FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have.
Here are some tips to help your usage:
1. On some models if you run into WiFi problem after using the Hotspot, simply reboot your phone to clear the issue.
2. For some Samsung phones if your computer is not able to get an IP address, try to turn on WiFi on the phone first and make sure it does not connect to any WiFi network, then turn on FoxFi.
3. FoxFi is tested on non-rooted phones. If your phone has a rooted ROM it may or may not work.
4. When WiFi hotspot is activated you may also see a hotspot notification of the built-in WiFi hotspot feature. Please ignore it. As long as you do not sign up for a tether plan you won't be charged.

Member Summary

foxfi (10.75kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It's not free anymore for long term use.  PdaNet always cost money, so I guess since they are combined they are charging... (more)

heyeaglefn (Dec. 16, 2013 @ 8:24a) |

Elric428 (Dec. 16, 2013 @ 8:48a) |

does not work on the HTC

anndesikis (Dec. 16, 2013 @ 9:03a) |

11/16/12 FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption. I don't think they've fixed the Jellybean problem yet.

Works great! Thanks OP.

Thanks OP, works great on my Samsung Skyrocket! Been looking for something like this so my family can do a little surfing whenever we're on the road. Only planning to go through light or moderate use though... Don't know how this all works and don't want ATT to throttle me or somehow "detect" this and try to dump me into a tethering plan. Anyone here with knowledge in this regard?

According to a post I read on XDA, someone with ATT asked the same question, the short of it was that one has to go to a website to sign up for wifi tethering and dont abuse it the wifi feature. I would keep use to under 100mb a day. There is also a proxy setting that might need to be changed. Maybe someone else will know. I have Sprint sero.

Thanks OP!

It looks like this is normally free, correct? Green for the awareness though.

Worked for me out of the box with at Motorola Droid Bionic. Now with my grandfathered unlimited data I am set. Thanks!

This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.
Thanks for post and FoxFi's software. Now I can use all my computers onto my Virgin Mobile network.

Thanks. The bluetooth worked for me on LG Optimus.

Wow hope the carriers won't stop the unlimited plans!!

rapp said:   Wow hope the carriers won't stop the unlimited plans!!All 2 of them? Heh

rapp said:   Wow hope the carriers won't stop the unlimited plans!!

not that they would care, but hotspot should be free. Data is data, you're still using data through your phone if you enable this feature. They shouldn't have to tell the customer how the customer can use a feature of the equipment that they PAID for!

lesliejs said:   

not that they would care, but hotspot should be free. Data is data, you're still using data through your phone if you enable this feature. They shouldn't have to tell the customer how the customer can use a feature of the equipment that they PAID for!

But using your phone to give internet access to others was not the intent of the unlimited plans. Much more bandwidth is typically consumed when used as hotspot. It's not that I don't want or use hotspot functionally on my unlimited data plan, but just stating the basic reality of it. However, I think Sprint indirectly makes up for it with their mandatory $10 premium data service charge.

lesliejs said:   rapp said:   Wow hope the carriers won't stop the unlimited plans!!

I guess they don't want people to replace their home internet (cable/DSL) and make it their "only" way to connect to the internet. Could you imagine the data usage on cell networks running bittorrent, Netflix streaming, Amazon vod, etc? Remember when people were griping about the 250GB Comcast limit?

Yes, they're all 1's and 0's but the bulk is why providers have gone to tiered plans. Although I don't "like" the Tmobile structure of XXXmb of 4G then the rest 2G, that's better than ATT/Verizon with overage fees. I've had Sprint for awhile now and although coverage isn't "awesome" like V/Tmo in my area, it's the cheapest option with SeroP+4G.

whats the catch? why? how? whos making money ? or else?

anndesikis said:   whats the catch? why? how? whos making money ? or else?

sell more tinfoil hats?

Wow even works on my android optimus and allows HP touchpad to connect with CM7 COOL!

AAAAAA++++++

Thanks!!

Don't really need this as my phone and Tmo already offer this and Tmo has never said a word to me about using it. However, with carriers changing their terms and unwritten rules on a whim I'm in for one as a backup. Green for OP.

Works for me - Thank You very much. If you were running for president, you would have my vote

Keeps making my Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph reboot.

kshowtime said:   Keeps making my Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph reboot.

Shut the blue tooth off

anybody try using it with bluetooth for htc evo?

quicksettings works fine on my optimus

oathwheel said:   This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.
Thanks for post and FoxFi's software. Now I can use all my computers onto my Virgin Mobile network.

skh12 said:   quicksettings works fine on my optimus

oathwheel said:   This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.

matters what version you have for that..

How is it different from the built-in Android WiFi hotspot?

Now to figure out how to unroot my old moto droid...

WIFI won't work on my Evo 3d, bluetooth isn't working right either.. Must be a trick to this

xfmpcx, you are my new best friend! Just tested this on my Samsung Exhibit, and it works great. For me, this is HUGE, because my work blocks access to WAAAY too many sites on our network. So now I'll be able to check some websites during the day without having to do it on my phone. Not to mention using it with my Touchpad when I'm traveling...

tragedytotriumph said:   Works for me - Thank You very much. If you were running for president, you would have my vote

This time around...that's not saying much!

Tried it with my Verizon Droid X and it worked fine.

Is this for the free --LITE-- 2 day trial version, or the full $14.95 version ??

I would like to use my Samsung Infuse to feed my Ipad when I travel.

NICE

Except Virgin Mobile's isn't unlimited as advertised. I got a text telling me I was limited to 2.5 GB a month.

i tried turning bluetooth off with the triumph and still reboots
looks like it doesnt work on the triumph at all

TYOP!!!!!

If you are remotely considering this free app, download it NOW. Carriers always block these. Tick-tock.

Thanks OP. Been looking for a way to get over the 3GB a month limit on my unlimited plan with AT&T. No real reason other than having an excuse to complain some more about the throttling, the fact that they've set different caps for HSPA+ and LTE users, but won't allow HSPA+ users an early upgrade discount to an LTE phone and, well, the fact that they're AT&T...

beavis000 said:   Thanks OP, works great on my Samsung Skyrocket! Been looking for something like this so my family can do a little surfing whenever we're on the road. Only planning to go through light or moderate use though... Don't know how this all works and don't want ATT to throttle me or somehow "detect" this and try to dump me into a tethering plan. Anyone here with knowledge in this regard?

They can "detect" it the second you open the browser on the tethered device. There is no way to hide the fact that you are tethering. Having said that, the real issue is whether or not they will come after you. I use AT&T as well and have tethered for years with no issue. I keep it pretty reasonable as far as data usage and I've never had a problem. However, I've read that others have had issue. I figure worse case scanario if they make an issue of it they will allow you to enable a tethering plan. In reality, they could probably go after you for data fees as far back as they can prove, but honestly, that would take a lot of work on thier part and I bank on them not making the effort unless you give them a big reason to do so.

lrothkcsa said:   Thanks OP. Been looking for a way to get over the 3GB a month limit on my unlimited plan with AT&T. No real reason other than having an excuse to complain some more about the throttling, the fact that they've set different caps for HSPA+ and LTE users, but won't allow HSPA+ users an early upgrade discount to an LTE phone and, well, the fact that they're AT&T...
Yeah, I'm on "unlimited" as well and plan on tethering my new iPad once it arrives Friday. I will burn up the network until they catch me.

Nothing to lose. I can always go to the 5gb plan which includes tethering after they catch up to me. Extra $13/month with my corporate discount. Not bad.

Skipping 374 Messages...
does not work on the HTC

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014