• 1 2 34511
  • Page
  • Text Only
aftering installing this. Mine the speedtest.net on ATT networks shows 0.05 mbps download and 0.31 mbps upload. do you guys see any better? I have kept the phone next to window and laptop next to it. 4G LTE signal bar is 4.

Can you explain how to get it working on the Skyrocket? I can easily connect to my phone, but the 'tether or hotspot is active, tap to configure' icon comes up. If I connect my laptop, it connects fine to FOXfi but with no internet access. If I tap on the normal AT&T wifi hotspot icon to configure I get the normal message that I don't have a tether plan.

ConnieIL1 said:   oathwheel said:   This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.
Thanks for post and FoxFi's software. Now I can use all my computers onto my Virgin Mobile network.

Except Virgin Mobile's isn't unlimited as advertised. I got a text telling me I was limited to 2.5 GB a month.

I got the same text informing me of this change.

leethyle said:   anybody try using it with bluetooth for htc evo?
Tested A+ on my EVO 4G. This is a nice option, although it is Bluetooth only on HTC phones, so it's probably still better just to use PDANet over USB.

No go for nexus s 4g, however I still left it on the phone in case it gets supported in the future.

I just came across this.."As cited in Sprint Nextel's Terms of Service, "Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance."[7]

This S*** really works! Thanks, OP!

oathwheel said:   This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.
Thanks for post and FoxFi's software. Now I can use all my computers onto my Virgin Mobile network.

Please....please don't abuse it. If everyone tethered with light to moderate use, Virgin Mobile wouldn't have placed the 2.5 GB cap that goes into effect at the end of the month.

A lot easier to use than easy tether. Thanks OP

Yoksel said:   How is it different from the built-in Android WiFi hotspot?I believe that uses the feature from your provider and you get charged for using it.

coolbreeze said:   If you are remotely considering this free app, download it NOW. Carriers always block these. Tick-tock.You mean like Easy Tether? Who has blocked it?

been trying to root and tether my Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch but nothing works. this work excellent! ty op!

Trying to download & install from google play onto my Moto Photon.

It just hangs during download, and an orange triangle with an exclamation point /!\ appears at the top. When dragged down, it looks like an alert on FoxFi, and thats it, no explanation.

looks like the party is over.

At least I still have root, and Android-wifi-tether in infrastructure mode working, so I'm not too upset.

rmi65700 said:   I just came across this.."As cited in Sprint Nextel's Terms of Service, "Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance."[7]

terminate service = terminate contract,, don't think they will want to release their customers form that

Good Lucking out!!!!! This is a great app. Better get it before its gone if you havent already.

legirons said:   WIFI won't work on my Evo 3d, bluetooth isn't working right either.. Must be a trick to this

Yeah many have reported not being able to sync bluetooth with Windows OS with the EVO 3D. I was not able to today either with my asus dongle. Big bummer. Hopefully a fix comes out sometime soon.

How does this work? I installed on my Droid 2. Can I access internet through my laptop? Thanks.

does not work on my samsung transform (original not ultra).. oh well.. It's my spare.

NO go on Samsung Moment

Thanks!! I am now on it with my Samsung phone great as a backup

Wow! I'm connecting my le pan II tab thru my phone, signal strength is much stronger than my dsl from home!
ty, ty, ty!

I just found this app last night, never thought to post it here. Glad someone did. I was trying to find a way to tether my Evo to my Galaxy Tab 10.1. I can't root my phone because I have a couple apps that won't work with rooted phones. It worked great and the connection seemed extremely fast for the short time I used it.

Good app but no wifi support for HTC phones.

Didn't read past the 1st page so pardon if discussed; regarding cellular network providers I believe they would have more heuristic ways of analyzing the traffic packets. However, simply looking at folks' user agent IDs would signal the browser being used, and thus tether. I think as long as the usage is light to moderate, this won't necessarily raise flags, but obviously this will change the more ait reflects a dent to company coffers. Certainly, apps like this which make it so easy help to accelerate the capitalist mindset.

I like Wireless Tether for Root Users; very stable via test of time. So many more useful reasons to wanna root, imo. For instance, backups, /data & /system management.

EDIT: Funny how 'someone' gave me RED for a mostly informative post.

Do I really need it? I got the Virgin Mobile $25 plan with unlimited 3G. Is this faster than my 3G? If yes, I may try it. Anyone tried?

Yoksel said:   How is it different from the built-in Android WiFi hotspot?same question is here. I guess standard feature supports wifi and usb only, so if other devices have bt only you need the program.

Doesn't Gingerbread offer a tether (usb) only app? I wasn't aware of any built in Android 'wifi' hotspot.

I am on the ATT DataPro 2GB for Smartphone for $25 a month and I always assumed it did not include tethering. But I just literally looked at my bill a few hours ago and the detailed description is printed as this:

DataPro 2GB for Smartphone
Includes:
2 gigabytes of domestic data usage including tethering, $10 each additional 1 gigabyte of data usage, unlimited domestic data usage on the AT&T Wi-Fi Basic Network.

So I guess I'm game on to try this FoxFi. Thanks OP!

FYI - if you're rooted just use Titanium Backup to freeze tethermanager.apk. Whammo - free hotspot using the integrated options.

KPACOTKA said:   Yoksel said:   How is it different from the built-in Android WiFi hotspot?same question is here. I guess standard feature supports wifi and usb only, so if other devices have bt only you need the program.
I doubt anybody needed a BT hotspot if they could have WiFi.

I saw Billrubin's reply that this is a provider's feature but I don't have it's correct - Android 2.2 has a built-in WiFi hotspot feature. I currently use it on an unlocked T-Mobile phone with an operator outside of the US and it works perfectly fine. Not sure at the moment if US operators block it in any way.

Been using it for quite some time now. Is this a deal when it has always been free?

Being posted on FW now, it guarantees this app gets pulled from the market soon enough.

I've HTC Wildfire. But I'll try it. Thanks
xCICV

It totally sucked my battery empty in no time.... but it works

works for me on my samsung galaxy nexus (verizon). thanks!

Runs great on my Samsung Transform, had some trouble with creating a password, but when I keep the security open it works fine.

ATT has stopped mine. Indicates a tethering plan required. Using Motorola Attrix 2

Is there a way to download this app and save it for future installs in case they pull it?

rmi65700 said:   I just came across this.."As cited in Sprint Nextel's Terms of Service, "Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance."[7]

I would say there's a big different between "us[ing] a phone...as a modem" and setting it up as a wifi hotspot. If they terminate me, I'll sue them for breach.

Why are you guys worried about the app being pulled from the Android Market? It's not Google who blocks tethering, it's the carriers. Google built tethering and WiFi hotspot features into Android to begin with, so they're not against tethering. Apps like these (FoxFi, EasyTether, PDANet, Klink) only work around the artificially-imposed carrier/vendor restrictions designed to force customers into paying for add-on features. And these apps aren't new, they're been out there for ages, and Google has never pulled them.

Freaking awesome...never would have found without fatwallet. Thanks op!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014