• 12 3 4511
  • Page
  • Text Only
From FoxFi:
"Message from team: some user mentioned our software in a popular deal website and the whole world come to install FoxFi. While this is awesome we have a hard time keeping up with our support emails. We are aware of some most reported issues: the Motorola Triumph crash will be fixed in our next update. Atrix 2/4G are not supported yet and we are looking into it. HTC phones users please use Bluetooth mode instead. We failed to bypass the HTC hotspot lock and we are truly sorry."

it didnt worked on Motorola Atrix (atrix first model)

dumb question but, isnt this redundant if you already have an unlimited data plan?

It does not look like it works on my Asus Eeepad TF. I went to Google Play Store on my TF and there was no Foxfi.

EL3V3N said:   dumb question but, isnt this redundant if you already have an unlimited data plan?Depends on your carrier/plan. Some (Sprint) charge extra to enable tethering, others (tmo) don't.

Thanks OP.

Super Tool Box has this feature under settings allowing you to turn it on and off.
Virgin Mobile with Optimus V
I make sure to limit my use before they
limit my data

My stock Android phone already does free Wi-Fi tethering without any special plan from T-Mobile.

mfp2waoe said:   My stock Android phone already does free Wi-Fi tethering without any special plan from T-Mobile.
Same here but from other comments in this thread I conclude that T-Mobile doesn't block this Android's feature while other providers do. It would be interesting to see if it works on an unlocked T-Mobile phone with AT&T sim.

Toddler said:   Why are you guys worried about the app being pulled from the Android Market? It's not Google who blocks tethering, it's the carriers. Google built tethering and WiFi hotspot features into Android to begin with, so they're not against tethering. Apps like these (FoxFi, EasyTether, PDANet, Klink) only work around the artificially-imposed carrier/vendor restrictions designed to force customers into paying for add-on features. And these apps aren't new, they're been out there for ages, and Google has never pulled them.so you knew about these and not sharing them on fw? shame!

TimInHollywood said:   From FoxFi:
"Message from team: some user mentioned our software in a popular deal website and the whole world come to install FoxFi. While this is awesome we have a hard time keeping up with our support emails. "
oops...

Thanks! I look forward to trying this out. My AT&T DSL is extremely slow in my area; I'm lucky to get more than 250KB/sec, and I usually don't. Plus, all of the plans with different carriers that I could upgrade to state a 250GB data cap which is ridiculous in this age of streaming content.

I'll see if I can get better download times through my unlimited Verizon plan and use that for important downloads. I won't feel so cramped anymore!

solley said:   Now to figure out how to unroot my old moto droid...

This works fine on my rooted Samsung Epic 4G. If it doesn't work on your rooted phone, try Android WiFi Tether. http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ It can be used as either ad-hoc or hotspot. You can also use the settings to customize it for your brand of phone. It's free and well worth a try on your rooted phone. It is very stable and I prefer it.

teddyr said:   solley said:   Now to figure out how to unroot my old moto droid...

This works fine on my rooted Samsung Epic 4G. If it doesn't work on your rooted phone, try Android WiFi Tether. http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ It can be used as either ad-hoc or hotspot. You can also use the settings to customize it for your brand of phone. It's free and well worth a try on your rooted phone. It is very stable and I prefer it.

Of course if you're rooted then Wireless Tether is the way to go.

SteelRing said:   I am on the ATT DataPro 2GB for Smartphone for $25 a month and I always assumed it did not include tethering. But I just literally looked at my bill a few hours ago and the detailed description is printed as this:

DataPro 2GB for Smartphone
Includes:
2 gigabytes of domestic data usage including tethering, $10 each additional 1 gigabyte of data usage, unlimited domestic data usage on the AT&T Wi-Fi Basic Network.

So I guess I'm game on to try this FoxFi. Thanks OP!

My mailed/printed AT&T bill reads the same as yours, except

mine does not says tethering

I have the exact same data plan

If I wanted to add att tethering, I would need to pay $40 a month, for 4gb with tehering,

Toddler said:   teddyr said:   solley said:   Now to figure out how to unroot my old moto droid...

Of course if you're rooted then Wireless Tether is the way to go.

I'm rooted but my Samsung Droid Charge is not compatible with Wireless Tether. As far as tethering, does it make a difference whether rooted or not as long as you get the appropriate app? In other words, I'm rooted so is there an app that would work better than FoxFi?

mfp2waoe said:   My stock Android phone already does free Wi-Fi tethering without any special plan from T-Mobile.
Are you on a contract, or pre-paid? My pre-paid phone (Samsung Exhibit II) has tethering built-in on the phone, but I was told I'd be charged if I used it, so I never tried it. Perhaps I was misinformed...

kenbenobi said:   mfp2waoe said:   My stock Android phone already does free Wi-Fi tethering without any special plan from T-Mobile.
Are you on a contract, or pre-paid? My phone (Samsung Exhibit II) has tethering built-in on the phone, but I was told I'd be charged if I used it, so I never tried it. Perhaps I was misinformed...

Same deal here (I have a G2X on Tmobile). I can turn tethering on painlessly in the settings, but it warns me that "additional charges may apply", so I never used it. Maybe that's a hollow warning?

I downloaded this app and it setup fine, but I was getting crazy slow transfer speeds through it.

works great on a HD nitro + $45 Straight Talk unlimited. Let's see how long before I get shut down...

atlma1 said:   It does not look like it works on my Asus Eeepad TF. I went to Google Play Store on my TF and there was no Foxfi.

You install it on your phone and turns it into a wifi hotspot. Works perfect on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and Asus TF. Good thing I am on the Sprint unlimited plan.

Sach said:   ...
I'm rooted but my Samsung Droid Charge is not compatible with Wireless Tether. As far as tethering, does it make a difference whether rooted or not as long as you get the appropriate app? In other words, I'm rooted so is there an app that would work better than FoxFi?

I have been using Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Pro by SVTP (it is on the android marketplace) for my Samsung Droid Charge with great success for the last several months. It doesn't require you to be rooted. It does cost $14.99.

I have not used FoxFi but it sounds like a great free alternative.

I ran a Speed test on my phone and the wifi device and here's what I saw

Phone - Verizon - 1.5m / 836k
Device - Wifi - 852k / 768k

So I lose about 1/2 of my overall speed but I'm happy that it works on a non rooted phone!

Using FoxFi with the Bluetooth option was shockingly fast on my wife's stock EVO 4G.

T-Mobile has the wifi tethering "built-in" on MyTouch 3g phone, when I need to buy a Samsung Galaxy S2 on my own, out of my own pocket
and replaced my 3g phone, the wifi tether did not work as the Galaxy S2 auto connects to data at 4G where available, so somehow it is blocked
by T-Mobile. This apps works on the Galaxy S2 when tested it for a few min yesterday.

Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!

on verizon I got about 1mb down and 250kb up!

On tmobile Galaxy s2 I got the following:

On phone - 7.1/1.1
On ipad tether - 9.7/2.1

Lucky I guess.

nanga said:   Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!
did you reboot your phone?

works great on a droid x

Have been using on DROID 4 for a while, so far no issues other than burning through battery in a flash

Works perfectly on Samsung Captivate - AT&T

legirons said:   WIFI won't work on my Evo 3d, bluetooth isn't working right either.. Must be a trick to this

I use PDAnet on my EVO

TimInHollywood said:   From FoxFi:
"Message from team: some user mentioned our software in a popular deal website and the whole world come to install FoxFi. While this is awesome we have a hard time keeping up with our support emails. We are aware of some most reported issues: the Motorola Triumph crash will be fixed in our next update. Atrix 2/4G are not supported yet and we are looking into it. HTC phones users please use Bluetooth mode instead. We failed to bypass the HTC hotspot lock and we are truly sorry."

This explains why it will NOT work on my motorola triumph

linrick said:   nanga said:   Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!
did you reboot your phone?

Yes

guy from NJ , I have the same phone , from At&t,, BUT please, can you explain what the heck this means.. i have the 2gig on my phone and my son has the unlimited. I tried to understand tethering but i am clueless. i grately appreciate any help you can share,, Thanks.

so basically what i am asking is if i want to go on facebook for example... i can do it in my car for free.....

oxygenmm said:   TimInHollywood said:   From FoxFi:

This explains why it will NOT work on my motorola triumph

It's easy peasy to root your MT using this guys videos:

motorolatriumphhacks.com

I recommend any of the CM7 roms. The CM9 roms are not quite ready for prime time.

woops.

Anybody succeeed with the HTC EVO

fhetter said:   Anybody succeeed with the HTC EVO
I've posted several times in this thread that it works great on the HTC EVO 4G. I've tested both rooted and stock. It's Bluetooth only on HTC phones, but it works fast and stable.

It's BS capitalism to charge for tether with a limit or throttle that makes data almost unusable on one device let alone multiple or a full PC browser. I don't care what they say. When I'm on EDGE webpages don't even load half the time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.