• 123 4 511
  • Page
  • Text Only
whats the pros and cons of Bluetooth vs wifi? only thing i can think of is that bluetooth is shorter range so maybe less susceptible to outside snooping?

frugalpete said:   whats the pros and cons of Bluetooth vs wifi? only thing i can think of is that bluetooth is shorter range so maybe less susceptible to outside snooping?Bluetooth uses less battery. But some bluetooth profiles need to be on the connected device to work, vs wifi anything can connect

vistaluck said:   Do I really need it? I got the Virgin Mobile $25 plan with unlimited 3G. Is this faster than my 3G? If yes, I may try it. Anyone tried?

Now I got it. I didn't understand what it was. Now I found it actually turn my phone into a hotspot wifi access point for my other computers so I can still access the internet without using a ATT plan or some other plans. Well it only works when my phone is near my other computers though. But I guess I can use this to threaten ATT to continue to give me low promo price like $19/month. This foxfi works well with my LG Optimus V with Virgin Mobile with unlimited 3G. I'm using my desktop now and the speed is pretty fast. What a great FREE app for everyone. Thx to the creator of Foxfi.

One question tho....how i set up password for my own hotspot? I don't want to share my hotspot.

Well...how can I connect my OBI110 hub to my hotspot? Is it even possible? Or do I still need ATT dry loop no matter what?

why are people so scared to root their phone? it works great and would never go back to a unrooted one!

there is one thing I still don't get. looking at my optimus v now. Its getting 3G from polly Sprint network and turn it into a wifi hotspot. So the speed is still depends on the speed of this 3G network? No faster than the 3G you got from your phone?

I have StraightTalk unlimited, using a Motorola atrix.. Will FoxFi work with this phone and plan. I know in the terms and conditions is says you are not allowed to tether or use as a mobile hotspot. Any suggestions?

kjrodgers said:   I have StraightTalk unlimited, using a Motorola atrix.. Will FoxFi work with this phone and plan. I know in the terms and conditions is says you are not allowed to tether or use as a mobile hotspot. Any suggestions?
Why don't you try it and report back?

anndesikis said:   why are people so scared to root their phone? it works great and would never go back to a unrooted one!oh brave souls, i guess you don't know much about unix do you. i work with unix everyday and it is my prime directive that i don't do anything as root unless it's absolutely necessary for a lot of good reasons i won't have time to elaborate here. but perhaps rooting a phone is just one of those cool things with no dire consequences. after all it's only your personal information and only one person's life can be damaged at most. go for it....

Thanks OP. Worked for me on Droid Bionic

cool find, thanks OP!

Works flawalessly on lg optimus by Sprint
Sero P plan - now waiting for Sprint to plug this hole via their next update
Thank you OP for a super find

nanga said:   Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue with the VM Samsung Intercept and my Ipod Touch. The touch finds the network, connects, gets an IP Address and shows a strong signal, but reports "connection failed" or no connection for everything so far. I've tried restarting the phone, it didn't appear to have any effect.

I installed it on my verizon droid 2 phone, but havent tested yet. Can anyone report how it works on verizon network?

mysteryAgain said:   I installed it on my verizon droid 2 phone, but havent tested yet. Can anyone report how it works on verizon network?

I tested it on my Droid Charge and it works well. Didn't perform any benchmarks but felt like broadband while surfing the net.

Works great on my Samsung Skyrocket. Thank you very much for sharing!

Zupe99 said:   nanga said:   Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue with the VM Samsung Intercept and my Ipod Touch. The touch finds the network, connects, gets an IP Address and shows a strong signal, but reports "connection failed" or no connection for everything so far. I've tried restarting the phone, it didn't appear to have any effect.

Good to know I am not alone. If you find a way to get it working, please post.

Crashes my Motorola triumph.

greg07 said:   Crashes my Motorola triumph.

Yea. same here. However, I put CM7 reload on it and the wifi hotspot came with CM7 works pretty good.

beltme said:   oxygenmm said:   TimInHollywood said:   From FoxFi:
"Message from team: some user mentioned our software in a popular deal website and the whole world come to install FoxFi. While this is awesome we have a hard time keeping up with our support emails. We are aware of some most reported issues: the Motorola Triumph crash will be fixed in our next update. Atrix 2/4G are not supported yet and we are looking into it. HTC phones users please use Bluetooth mode instead. We failed to bypass the HTC hotspot lock and we are truly sorry."

This explains why it will NOT work on my motorola triumph

It's easy peasy to root your MT using this guys videos:

motorolatriumphhacks.com

I recommend any of the CM7 roms. The CM9 roms are not quite ready for prime time.

Agree. The downside on CM7 is the hdmi out still doesn't work.

For CM9 (ICS), as it is still in Alpha, props to all the contributors which had put a lot of time and effort in getting a lot of stuff working. I am looking forward when the cm9 beta releases.

Downloaded app to my moto photon and my laptop quickly was online. Received a phone call and now my laptop sees my phone it just will not reconnect to the internet. I uninstalled than reinstalled the app, then ran network diagnose to no avail.Don't know what to do now. Help please.

Works perfect verizon Galaxy S 1.5 mg down .4 mg up THANK YOU!!!!!!!

copy and paste from forum re Straight Talk Galaxy Precedent: I got FoxFi to work... I had to go into the wi fi settings and click use static ip then i put in this as the default gateway 192.168.1.1 However I can`t get the security to work any time i put in a password it won`t let me connect. Also seems like I have to first connect to the connection through my computer only then will it work with my other devices.... TV, PS3, ect... Hope this was helpful took me a few days to figure it out and I`ll write more if I can figure anymore out.

I've had no luck with my T-Mobile Comet, just want to use my Kindle Fire away from home--if anyone has this working on the Comet and would care to share, I'd appreciate it.

Restarted Comet and this time it worked, was able to send & receive email, go on web, etc EXCELLENT and thanks OP!

when i use foxfi it says no internet acces. I can pickup my foxfi signal with my ps3 but i get the same thing. someone help me please.

how did u connect with ur bluetooth. when using with the asus usb bt211 doesn't show connect to internet only connect for sound and headset.

New iPad sees my HTC Thunderbolt via FoxFi's Bluetooth but failed to pair. Seems the New iPad needs JB and get iBluever...

SteelRing said:   anndesikis said:   why are people so scared to root their phone? it works great and would never go back to a unrooted one!oh brave souls, i guess you don't know much about unix do you. i work with unix everyday and it is my prime directive that i don't do anything as root unless it's absolutely necessary for a lot of good reasons i won't have time to elaborate here. but perhaps rooting a phone is just one of those cool things with no dire consequences. after all it's only your personal information and only one person's life can be damaged at most. go for it....

Android is based on linix.. Not unix.

ConnieIL1 said:   oathwheel said:   This is the only APP that will work with Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus slider for nonrooted phones. It's free too.
Thanks for post and FoxFi's software. Now I can use all my computers onto my Virgin Mobile network.

Except Virgin Mobile's isn't unlimited as advertised. I got a text telling me I was limited to 2.5 GB a month.

You need to re-read that... After 2.5GB, your data rate is limited to 256kbps

trying it out on my REPUBLIC WIRELESS optimus - doesn't seem to ever get an IP address, not sure what's going on, but if i knew what the "IP block" was, i could probably set a static....anyone know what the IP address range is by default for this app???

I've tried connecting an ipod touch to it, as well as my EVO 4G (with no active service) and neither one ever gets an address.

nanga said:   Zupe99 said:   nanga said:   Any one got this working on non rooted Virgin Mobile Samsung intercept? I am trying my iPad 2 to connect with wifi hotspot from my intercept. iPad sees the network, get ip address and subnet mask but dns and router information is blank. I get the wireless icon but can't surf Internet, says Internet not connected.

Thanks in advance!

Good to know I am not alone. If you find a way to get it working, please post.

I tried it again today, and this time my Touch worked perfectly with the Intercept. I haven't changed anything since the last time I tried, so I'm not really sure why it's suddenly working now.

anyone able to get Bluetooth to work for HTC(Incredible) phone? I get a "failed" connection error.

My HTC EVo 4G also gets a "failed" connection?

Looks like HTC phones have to use the bluetooth, though I've not gotten that to work either

wanted to pass on info....i contacted Foxfi support for my issue with my RW Optimus and they got back to me pretty quick and informed me of an update, I installed the update and voila, my RW phone now does wifi hotspot!

I used this with my EVO last week, worked well. My Xoom used the Evo's connection via bluetooth. Follow the directions to a tee and it should work.

BigYellowDog said:   lesliejs said:   not that they would care, but hotspot should be free. Data is data, you're still using data through your phone if you enable this feature. They shouldn't have to tell the customer how the customer can use a feature of the equipment that they PAID for!
But using your phone to give internet access to others was not the intent of the unlimited plans. Much more bandwidth is typically consumed when used as hotspot. It's not that I don't want or use hotspot functionally on my unlimited data plan, but just stating the basic reality of it. However, I think Sprint indirectly makes up for it with their mandatory $10 premium data service charge.

The argument makes sense for unlimited plans. But the moment the carriers started selling metered bandwidth plans (e.g. 2 GB/mo), the argument goes out the window.

It's like a restaurant. If it's a buffet (unlimited), then yeah the restaurant is justified in kicking you out if you to pay only for yourself, then share your food with other (non-paying) people. But if you have to pay for each entree (metered), then the restaurant shouldn't care whether you eat it all by yourself, share it with a friend, or take it home to give to your dog.

More to the point, most unlimited plans had language in their contract stating it wasn't intended to be used as a sole or primary Internet connection (i.e. replacement for cable/fiber/DSL). And that they can cancel the service if you seem to be using it that way.

Solandri said:   BigYellowDog said:   lesliejs said:   not that they would care, but hotspot should be free. Data is data, you're still using data through your phone if you enable this feature. They shouldn't have to tell the customer how the customer can use a feature of the equipment that they PAID for!
But using your phone to give internet access to others was not the intent of the unlimited plans. Much more bandwidth is typically consumed when used as hotspot. It's not that I don't want or use hotspot functionally on my unlimited data plan, but just stating the basic reality of it. However, I think Sprint indirectly makes up for it with their mandatory $10 premium data service charge.

The argument makes sense for unlimited plans. But the moment the carriers started selling metered bandwidth plans (e.g. 2 GB/mo), the argument goes out the window.

It's like a restaurant. If it's a buffet (unlimited), then yeah the restaurant is justified in kicking you out if you to pay only for yourself, then share your food with other (non-paying) people. But if you have to pay for each entree (metered), then the restaurant shouldn't care whether you eat it all by yourself, share it with a friend, or take it home to give to your dog.

More to the point, most unlimited plans had language in their contract stating it wasn't intended to be used as a sole or primary Internet connection (i.e. replacement for cable/fiber/DSL). And that they can cancel the service if you seem to be using it that way.

me personally....the only reason i even care about a hot spot is that the screen on that damn Optimus is SO small, I can do most all other functions on my EVO or my EPIC, or even my iPad - which still uses smaller amounts of data than a laptop.
I would NEVER go to this as a primary source of internet connectivity, but rather a supplement while away from home!
I just like to be able to use my mobile data on a larger screen. and i bet that carriers cant tell the difference between the original phone and the wifi connected phone i'd be using instead because of the way mobile devices handle data traffic differently than a full blown windows machine!

my home dsl is down. i'm connecting thru my phone with this foxfi at the moment.

Verizon keeps trying to push an update to my Droid Charge. Has anyone updated in the last 2 days and still have FoxFi working? Thanks.

I called TMO and they added this, no charge to my three HTC G2's.

Am seriously thinking of dumping my TWC internet if I can stay under 5GB/mo.

To use Tethering or Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, your unlimited data plan must include a Smartphone Mobile HotSpot feature.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.