• Text Only
lemonhead said:   wanted to update on my REPUBLIC Moto Defy....no go!
it reboots every time i attempt to activate the hotspot - so i've uninstalled the "add on" in the market and it does the same thing.
at least with the OPTIMUS it would reboot ONCE and then let me activate after the reboot - the defy is being very defiant!
Same thing for me. Too bad!

ams30 said:   rmi65700 said:   Still works great on my Samsung SPH-D710 Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G from Sprint

Don't do the OTA upgrade to ICS then. It will kill it for you if you use the WiFi method. Bluetooth DUN will still work though.

Not necessarily true, I have two and have updated both and Foxfi still works on both, have you updated to the latest version of Foxfi?

lemonhead said:   wanted to update on my REPUBLIC Moto Defy....no go!
it reboots every time i attempt to activate the hotspot - so i've uninstalled the "add on" in the market and it does the same thing.
at least with the OPTIMUS it would reboot ONCE and then let me activate after the reboot - the defy is being very defiant!

Works fine on my RW optimus
How you liking the Moto? other than no foxfi

I have no interest in the carrier companies. I do have to speak somewhat in their defense, however. Data transmission costs money. The more you transmit the more it costs. If new technology leads to more data transmission, something will have to give. You cannot get something for nothing, this is simple physics. Technology has made data smaller, faster and cheaper. But the hardware (lines, satellite disks, towers, etc.) and manpower are still necessary to bring us this communications system. More traffic (higher data rate) means traffic jams. This, in the long run, will lead to need for new lines, more lines or lines of higher capacity through technology, such as fiber optics. All this requires maintenance. Do the carriers make excess profit? I don't know. I do know nothing in life is free. jb

newhorizonjhb said:   .. I don't know. I do know nothing in life is free. jbDon't worry about the profitability of carriers ... they will always be profitable in a monopoly or cartel like environment. As to nothing in life is free .. well, sunshine is free, wind is free, air we breathe is free until it becomes unbreathable. There is a law that may predict bandwidth should increase 50% per year:

Nielsen gave his name to Nielsen's Law, in which he stated that network connection speeds for high-end home users would increase 50% per year, or double every 21 months. As a corollary, he noted that, since this growth rate is slower than that predicted by Moore's Law of processor power, user experience would remain bandwidth-bound.[2]

newhorizonjhb said:   ....I do have to speak somewhat in their defense, however. Data transmission costs money. The more you transmit the more it costs. jb

Thats all well known and widely accepted: Charging for bandwidth is quite reasonable. What irks me, and the vast majority of others, is that the cell companies charge extra if that same bandwidth is relayed, not by the carrier but by your phone, to an external device. Tethering is not a service provided by the cell company, it is a service provided by my phone. Recently, a judge very clearly explained this to Verizon.

In the same sense, cell carriers should be charging extra if you use a bluetooth headset...relaying voice calls to an external device....

IOW, I pay for 2GB of data per month. What I do with that 2GB of data and what device I use it on is my business.

how did you get it install on your phone without rooting your phone. I know Sprint blocked this from the App Store

will not work with Jelly Bean....

newhorizonjhb said:   I have no interest in the carrier companies. I do have to speak somewhat in their defense, however. Data transmission costs money. The more you transmit the more it costs. If new technology leads to more data transmission, something will have to give. You cannot get something for nothing, this is simple physics. Technology has made data smaller, faster and cheaper. But the hardware (lines, satellite disks, towers, etc.) and manpower are still necessary to bring us this communications system. More traffic (higher data rate) means traffic jams. This, in the long run, will lead to need for new lines, more lines or lines of higher capacity through technology, such as fiber optics. All this requires maintenance. Do the carriers make excess profit? I don't know. I do know nothing in life is free. jb

So what you're saying is that by using more data, we are helping America by forcing the carriers to create jobs for all this necessary expansion/construction for which to carry it. Sounds like the developer of FoxFi is a real Patriot.

You can not use your phone as a hotspot using blue tooth mode can you?

I have been blissfully happy using my hotspot from Foxfi but I just got an email today from AT&T. Apparently they've seen that I've been tethering wireless to my computer using a means other than their plan. They are threatening me to stop tethering by the end of the month or else they are going to automatically place me on their $50 a month plan. What's really the rip-off? My using internet on my laptop for free or AT&T wanting to charge be a whopping $50 a month. Don't you have enough money already AT&T?

Thanks I love this app- very useful.
Is there a similar app for the blackberry?

Apparently the folks at foxfi fixed problems with Jelly Bean earlier this month. If you need to hide tethering from carrier there is a foxfi "add-on" that can possibly accomplish this.

does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

Sprint user on jellybean with samsung galaxy note 2 , foxfi DOESN'T WORK is there a way to get around this? I have even installed add on for foxfi. I get error messages stating: unable to connect to data services turning off hotspot. Ur plan may not have data service contact for service provider & the other popup: error#67 registration failed. Your data username/password may be incorrect please try again. Canyone help or provide a hotspot download link for Sprint? Thanks in advance...

You can only use bluetooth for now on Samsung Galaxy

Any gotcha with Jelly Bean 4.2? My GNex just got the OTA update yesterday. sleek thing, but haven't tried if it's built-in tethering or FoxFi will run afoul ATT nazi

FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption.

I don't think they've fixed the Jellybean problem yet.

Yo Ma-Ma said:   FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption.

haven't checked since it stop working back in june. do you get a refund if it still doesn't work?

linrick said:   Yo Ma-Ma said:   FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption.

haven't checked since it stop working back in june. do you get a refund if it still doesn't work?

You can still try the free version to see if it works, and I think they said you have up to 15 days to get a refund if it stops working.

Is that a one time $6.97 fee?

jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

I had it working on my Virgin Mobile LG optimus v for the last few weeks.Just to get wifi on my laptop when I'm away from home and not near A free hotspot.
Then I update to A new version of Foxfi A few days ago,and it shut off after 30 minutes.
So the free version gives you 1 to 30 minutes to use,then it cuts you off.

It was very good while it lasted.Now I'm in hunt of another free app.

Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

I had it working on my Virgin Mobile LG optimus v for the last few weeks.Just to get wifi on my laptop when I'm away from home and not near A free hotspot.
Then I update to A new version of Foxfi A few days ago,and it shut off after 30 minutes.

If it's working for you, why not just spend the $7 to purchase the unlock key? It's a one time fee and you're still saving $15 - $20 a month for a data plan.

hooked said:   Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

If it's working for you, why not just spend the $7 to purchase the unlock key? It's a one time fee and you're still saving $15 - $20 a month for a data plan.

Because we want a fatwallet.

Gojumpina said:   newhorizonjhb said:   ....I do have to speak somewhat in their defense, however. Data transmission costs money. The more you transmit the more it costs. jb

Thats all well known and widely accepted: Charging for bandwidth is quite reasonable. What irks me, and the vast majority of others, is that the cell companies charge extra if that same bandwidth is relayed, not by the carrier but by your phone, to an external device. Tethering is not a service provided by the cell company, it is a service provided by my phone. Recently, a judge very clearly explained this to Verizon.

In the same sense, cell carriers should be charging extra if you use a bluetooth headset...relaying voice calls to an external device....

IOW, I pay for 2GB of data per month. What I do with that 2GB of data and what device I use it on is my business.

wasn't the judge specifically addressing verizon blocking access to their 4g lte network which was sold to them with the requirement that they don't block access? Tethering is definetely a grey zone.

milkandcookies said:   hooked said:   Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

Well, if a wallet fatter by $7 is more important than having wifi access on your laptop, then I guess he can keep looking for another free app...how many other apps like this don't require rooting your phone are out there anyway (I have no clue)...

Yo Ma-Ma said:   FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption.

I've been using this app for a while and it's great! Thanks for the heads up or I would have been unhappy this afternoon while trying to use it while my son is in piano lessons. I have no problem paying $7 to continue to use the program as I have. It's been very useful!

LINUX is essentially BSD UNIX.You are only arguing over the flavor: Baskin Robins, Haggin Das, Bryers. Concepts are all the same..
If you don't realize they are the same; then you probably should not have root, nor rooting your phone!

Check the sms carefully, it should say you have gone over your limit and you will be getting charged.

Glad I read the summary before I updated. This is the prime reason I don't have my apps auto update.

As for the ones complaining about it only being 7$, this is a frugal/deal site. We are cheap bastards.

Damn auto update!

Damn auto update!

Zuke76 said:   Yo Ma-Ma said:   FoxFi presented an update today, it will cause the hotspot to expire after a few minutes use. They want $6.97 for the key that will allow it to operate w/o interruption.

Glad I read the summary before I updated. This is the prime reason I don't have my apps auto update.

As for the ones complaining about it only being 7$, this is a frugal/deal site. We are cheap bastards.

you are cheap bastards that don't have mobile internet access on your laptops/tablets...If you would rather save your $7, then so be it...

So who has the old APK?

I have the verizon droid razor maxx and have been using it for a couple months with not problems

Get lost spacejamz. You sound like an old bitty.

spacejamz said:   milkandcookies said:   hooked said:   Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

Well, if a wallet fatter by $7 is more important than having wifi access on your laptop, then I guess he can keep looking for another free app...how many other apps like this don't require rooting your phone are out there anyway (I have no clue)...

milkandcookies said:   Get lost spacejamz. You sound like an old bitty.

spacejamz said:   milkandcookies said:   hooked said:   Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

Thats rich (pun intended) coming from someone won't spend $7 to help out a software developer who created a program that many here have enjoyed for free...

same problem on my Note 2... I have not found a wifi teathering fix as of this date...

hooked said:   Joeyseven said:   jayjay3636 said:   does anyone got it working with Virgin Mobile LG optimus v? it said not supporting this service carrier while installing it ...

Why should I pay for something I can get free elsewhere and don't use that much?
Like I said.I only use these apps when I'm away from home(broadband cable)and not picking up a free hot spot.

I tired Tethering Widget A few times,and it works just fine for what I need it for.

Has anyone been able to get it working on thier Galaxy S3? It had been working fine but now not at all after my last update? I don't mind paying for the app, But I need to make sure it will work again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014