• 1789 10 11
  • Page
  • Text Only
FoxFi has just surprised me with a message that it's now a part of PDANet+. I rejected the upgrade but "based on the past performance" I assume it will be forced on us sooner or later. I'm wondering if we'll have to pay again for the new application. Also does anyone have experience with the PDANet+?

To answer my own question, apparently PDANet+ upgrade is currently free.

I've been following this thread hoping someone would find an alternative solution. I have used PDANet for years, back with my Palm and then Blackberry phone. It was a great, easy to use utility. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I haven't been able to get FoxFi working with my Galaxy S3 for a while now and don't use enough data to justify paying for a plan. Thank you.

It may just be a setting within the phone. Please try this:
1) Click SETTINGS from your home screen.
2) Next, click MORE
3) Scroll down to MOBILE NETWORKS and click it
4) Make sure USE PACKET DATA is checked.

* Please note: When checking this setting you may receive a message about incurring additional fees. You will not incur any additional fees as long as you have a data plan with your carrier.
* Please note: The above instructions vary slightly from phone to phone however, the idea is to make sure the USE DATA PACKET option is checked.

If this option was unchecked, that was the cause of your problem. To ensure that this option stays checked, make sure that you turn off any wifi connection (ie,home wifi) prior to leaving home or connecting to foxfi. If you should forget, it is possible that this feature may become unchecked again in which case you can follow the procedure above to restore your internet access.

I hope this helps, happy surfing!

Ever since apple introduced the Iphone, wireless nets have been stressed. The problem is not fiber bandwidth to the tower. The problem is RF (wireless) bandwidth. With the newer the CDMA technologies, the number of bars on your phone goes down as more people get on the tower even if you stay in the same spot.

I am on Verizon Unlimited Grandfathered. If I hit 2GB in one billing cycle, they cap me and slow me down. They call it "Optimized". I call it Unlimited Not Unlimited.

All the carriers have to train their customers that bandwidth is not unlimited anymore. More and more customers are using smart phones and bandwidth hogging apps such as Youtube, maps, video, cloud downloads, voice recognition through signal processing at remote servers etc.

I would sure stay the hell away from ATT because they let apple people video chat. Thats gonna clog up the network.

Its business and its physics. It sucks. But you can read more about it in the Wall Street Journal.

Eng8492 said:   

I am on Verizon Unlimited Grandfathered. If I hit 2GB in one billing cycle, they cap me and slow me down. They call it "Optimized". I call it Unlimited Not Unlimited.

That's strange. Is it a regional policy? I've never noticed any reduction in speed once I cross the 2GB line, and it happens every month. Here are my two biggest months cut and paste right from the VZW website.

Average Usage for 6 months = 4.640 GB

--------Gigabytes
--------Used
NOV 8.870 unlimited - -
DEC 12.810 unlimited - -

I've been with VZW since the Star Tac days.

Which phone service do you have? I am using Straight Talk. I am wondering if I can use my laptop through my wifi on which Straight Talk cell phone.

I mean with a hotspot of course. I just love my Straight Talk cell phone. They have different carriers, T-Mobile, which I hate, Att not so good and Verizon which I love. Can I use my Straight Talk phone with/3g wifi to connect to internet with laptop?

does not work in droid dna jellybean.

Hello, I have a galaxy exhibit. For 2 weeks after I got it, the foxfi worked great. Then it began dropping me so I bought the full version. Now when I activate my phones hotspot, it says it connects to my pc but...I can't open a browser. Any suggestions?? I have tried almost everything.

Pdanet is now screwed up because of the android os update.

milkandcookies said:   Pdanet is now screwed up because of the android os update.
While this is true for ICS (and I don't believe it's their fault but more likely something Verizon did), USB tethering is working perfectly fine

Yoksel said:   milkandcookies said:   Pdanet is now screwed up because of the android os update.
While this is true for ICS (and I don't believe it's their fault but more likely something Verizon did), USB tethering is working perfectly fine

OK. What else should I try for a wireless option? I could not get Open Garden to work. I cannot tether my Samsung Note II tablet.

FoxFi paid works perfectly fine on my 4.2.2 Galaxy Nexus.

milkandcookies said:   Pdanet is now screwed up because of the android os update.

I have a VZW GNEX and it was screwed up as soon as it went to 4.2.2, I emailed June Fabrics and they got back to be right away, said there was some issue with the USB driver, had me uninstall and reinstall and works again with USB or wifi hotspot.

BTW I do have the paid version too.

schmedy said:   milkandcookies said:   Pdanet is now screwed up because of the android os update.

I have a VZW GNEX and it was screwed up as soon as it went to 4.2.2, I emailed June Fabrics and they got back to be right away, said there was some issue with the USB driver, had me uninstall and reinstall and works again with USB or wifi hotspot.

BTW I do have the paid version too.

I tried that but it did not work. I have the free version so maybe that is why. Can you pm the email contact?

I upgraded to PDANet+ 2 days ago (Lg optimus V), and ever since then the wifi hotspot hasn't been working properly.
It doesn't recognize that my phone has an internet connection, and when it finally realizes, it times out shortly after.
Anybody else have tthis issue?

Is there a way to downgrade?

I have a Motorola phone with a hot spot, would like toget in on another computer,
can any one help,
my gmail is deandavies55 @ gmail.com thanks.

foxfi seems to stop you from continuing to use it unless you buy a paid version. still might be worth it though...

non rooted Tmobile HTC One S

I am trying to get the free wifi hotspot for my phone

I have a Samsung Captivate it is not rooted and has GingerBread, what program worked for you and is it free or pay ??

lol nice deal!

To check and see if WiFi mode can be supported on your phone (via FoxFi) visit http://foxfi.com/devices

Does anyone have an update on whether this works for either Wi-fi or Bluetooth mode on the Samsung Galaxy Note II since Fox-fi's last update? I'm considering getting a Note II, but if this app didn't work it would be a bit of a deal breaker...

I looked at the list on their site (thanks for that), but it seems rather a short one. How up to date is it?

Foxfi currently works fine as a wifi hotspot on my wife's vzw Note2. An android update broke it for awhile, but then a foxfi-pdanet update fixed it again.

S3 working fine with Foxfi-PDANet (pay version) as of 5/22/13 on Verizon unlimited plan (plan not available currently - grandfathered from last year)

are there any similar apps (work around) for Windows Phone?

I have FoxFi for several months and it didn't take long to stop working. The full "paid" version unlocks the timer/limiter. It worked for me in a crunch.

Verizon - Bionic - unlimited data. I am due for an upgrade but been told that I will lose the unlimited data plan. That totally sucks.

tc

Yes

My Virgin Mobile phone the "Samsung Reverb" won't activate my phone to get an hot spot? It lets me sign up? And my friends find my hot spot that i created but once they login it always tells them that it couldn't connect because it was poor??? I've tried 9 hot spot apps and still nothing! PLEASE help me!! Thanks for your time,

tonycap said:   I have FoxFi for several months and it didn't take long to stop working. The full "paid" version unlocks the timer/limiter. It worked for me in a crunch.

Verizon - Bionic - unlimited data. I am due for an upgrade but been told that I will lose the unlimited data plan. That totally sucks.

tc

You will lose the upgrade if you take advantage of their new-phone subsidy. If you opt to pay full-price for the new phone, they will allow you to keep your data plan.

Anybody know if the paid version will keep working on the same phone if I keep swapping out SIMs and keep changing the numbers?
Thanks!

How do i go about getting this

whitedcarol said:   How do i go about getting this
Plenty of info in this thread to lead you on your way. Would start by reading it.

heyeaglefn said:   whitedcarol said:   How do i go about getting this
Plenty of info in this thread to lead you on your way. Would start by reading it.

MEOW!

Go to Google play and do a search for Pdanet or foxfi.

I don't get what the benefit of this is... Don't the Samsung GS3 (Verizon) phones have a free feature called "Mobile Hotspot" in the settings that do the same thing?!?

rzcashman said:   I don't get what the benefit of this is... Don't the Samsung GS3 (Verizon) phones have a free feature called "Mobile Hotspot" in the settings that do the same thing?!?
verizon android phones have this feature, but it's paid

I have metropcs i have the samsung galaxy exhibit. I installed foxfi. When i connect to i get a message saying i need to sign in first and my carrier wants me to pay. I have unlimited plan already but want to be able to use my kindle fire and pc on hotspot. How do i bypass this

morecowbell said:   
rzcashman said:   I don't get what the benefit of this is... Don't the Samsung GS3 (Verizon) phones have a free feature called "Mobile Hotspot" in the settings that do the same thing?!?
verizon android phones have this feature, but it's paid

Mobile hotspot is now free? I have a Droid4/Verizon and it's free. I think they made it free since they stopped their unlimited data plans.

gizmo the app is free. just not free to use. Through metro pcs i have unlimited data plan. But they said if i want to use my hotspot i have to get rid of unlimited data plan and pay to activate mobile hotspot. When i connect to foxfi my carriers hotspot icon comes on and says i need a plan. When i connect my kindle fire it shows i have internet but has an x beside it so foxfi works just trying to get around my carrier

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014