Netzero --- $9.95 month Clear 4G 500MB

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
link

another post already refers to free plan

this $9.95 deal appears to be great for a light 4G user in a Clearwire area

you have to buy the device and the service is Wimax which won't be around forever

Member Summary

netzero
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bit on the offer and have had it for a few days now with limited usage. My assessment so far; horrible when trying to ... (more)

Mitch (Apr. 10, 2012 @ 3:23p) |

Anyone else take the plunge and have experience with the service they'd like to share? Virgin Mobile is about to up the ... (more)

BostonOne (Jun. 03, 2012 @ 5:47p) |

I did, and to repeat what has been said before, check for coverage in the area where you expect to need service.

I'm pl... (more)

pokeineye (Jun. 03, 2012 @ 11:49p) |

  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

thanks! I didn't know it ran off CLEAR. the coverage map didn't show Hawaii, so I didnt even bother to look up my zip code. So i'll prob pick a mifi up

folks in the other thread were factoring in the cost of the device --- one thing people should be aware of is that the technology itself will eventually change --- so how long you factor in the cost of the device could be based on that

FYI - OP, you need to correct the title to reflect that the $9.95/month option (and free as well) are NOT at "4G" speeds. Until you step up to their third tier ($19.95/month), you're limited to Lightspeed (up to 1Mbps down / 384Kbps up) to conserve data even on the 4G device.

Warpspeed (up to 10Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up) is offered for the higher plans.

Just my two cents.

germanpope said:   folks in the other thread were factoring in the cost of the device --- one thing people should be aware of is that the technology itself will eventually change --- so how long you factor in the cost of the device could be based on that

Yes $50 or $100 for device:

"All data plans, including the Free plan, require the purchase of a NetZero 4G Mobile Broadband device. Access to the Free plan expires twelve (12) months from the date of initial registration and may not be renewed.
2 MBs are per monthly billing cycle. Any unused MBs expire at the end of each billing cycle. Contact us at any time to change plans without penalty. Upgrades go into effect the same day; other changes will go into effect at the end of your billing cycle."

delete

jehsuk said:   FYI - OP, you need to correct the title to reflect that the $9.95/month option (and free as well) are NOT at "4G" speeds. Until you step up to their third tier ($19.95/month), you're limited to Lightspeed (up to 1Mbps down / 384Kbps up) to conserve data even on the 4G device.

Warpspeed (up to 10Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up) is offered for the higher plans.

Just my two cents.


Wireless carriers in the U.S. have turned 4G into a meaningless marketing term. All of the major U.S. wireless carriers are calling their faster wireless networks 4G, but the truth is that none of these networks meets the International Telecommunication Union's specifications for 4G.

Top on the list is the speed requirement. The ITU defines 4G or IMT-Advanced as technology that offers download speeds of 100Mbps on mobile devices or 1Gbps on fixed wireless connections. The technologies used by carriers in the U.S. today aren't as fast as that.

My two cents, correcting your two cents.

Also since this is a MVNO of Clear, it is WiMAX. The WiMAX standard, while the quickest to be adopted is getting phased out by major providers like Sprint in favor of LTE.

$45 for hardware + $0/month for 200mb of data, need to purchase a new $45 stick once 200mb is up or one year is up is the deal discussed in the other red thread.

$45 for hardware + $9.99/month for 500mb of data is the deal being discussed in this thread.

Wimax in Honolulu works good for me

I am waiting to see the link showing that the cheaper plans throttle the Wimax connection

I will update the title if it is throttled

seems like they would want you to burn through the allocation --- Why throttle?

jehsuk said:   FYI - OP, you need to correct the title to reflect that the $9.95/month option (and free as well) are NOT at "4G" speeds. Until you step up to their third tier ($19.95/month), you're limited to Lightspeed (up to 1Mbps down / 384Kbps up) to conserve data even on the 4G device.

Warpspeed (up to 10Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up) is offered for the higher plans.

Just my two cents.


This is incorrect.

http://www.unitedonline.net/netzero/NetZero_LightSpeed_WarpSpeed...

states that although the cheaper plans DEFAULT to lightspeed, they can be switched to warpspeed.

Actually, I just posted that it wasn't "4G," but never said any of the options were. So, where was the correction necessary?

bppcomplete said:   jehsuk said:   FYI - OP, you need to correct the title to reflect that the $9.95/month option (and free as well) are NOT at "4G" speeds. Until you step up to their third tier ($19.95/month), you're limited to Lightspeed (up to 1Mbps down / 384Kbps up) to conserve data even on the 4G device.

Warpspeed (up to 10Mbps down / 1.5Mbps up) is offered for the higher plans.

Just my two cents.


This is incorrect.

http://www.unitedonline.net/netzero/NetZero_LightSpeed_WarpSpeed...

states that although the cheaper plans DEFAULT to lightspeed, they can be switched to warpspeed.


Thanks for this correction - that was my understanding based on review of the service I read yesterday, but clearly they left that bit out.

Thanks I'll look into this

for me, the whole point of it would be to get an occasional use of 5 or 10 minutes of full speed internet while on the road

others might want it throttled for their purpose

invisible said:   germanpope said:   folks in the other thread were factoring in the cost of the device --- one thing people should be aware of is that the technology itself will eventually change --- so how long you factor in the cost of the device could be based on that

Yes $50 or $100 for device:

Plus an additional $19.95 for Shipping and Handling (USPS Priority). I ordered on Monday, device was shipped yesterday. The way I look at it, I am paying $10/month to get 200MB of data. A little cheaper than DataJack and TruConnect in terms of total cost for the first year assuming usage of 200MB/month.

Be sure you live in a Clearwire area and/or travel through a lot of them before investing in this. It has a very limited coverage area (mainly urban) that is NOT being expanded. The link to the coverage map is on their front page.

Netzero = FREE...Netzero = Cost...Free = Free...Free = Cost...What is free anymore?

wino4ever said:   Netzero = FREE...Netzero = Cost...Free = Free...Free = Cost...What is free anymore?You mean 200MB/month broadband? Is there a way to trick it with multiple accounts or something so you can continue past the 200MB lock out?

wino4ever said:   Netzero = FREE...Netzero = Cost...Free = Free...Free = Cost...What is free anymore?

if you can't read terms and conditions to determine whether a deal fits your needs --- you should find another forum

nobody here cares about the marketing --- we only care about terms and conditions

germanpope said:   wino4ever said:   Netzero = FREE...Netzero = Cost...Free = Free...Free = Cost...What is free anymore?

if you can't read terms and conditions to determine whether a deal fits your needs --- you should find another forum

nobody here cares about the marketing --- we only care about terms and conditions
Maybe he was refering to the netzero which used to give free internet access?

fatchick said:   germanpope said:   wino4ever said:   Netzero = FREE...Netzero = Cost...Free = Free...Free = Cost...What is free anymore?

if you can't read terms and conditions to determine whether a deal fits your needs --- you should find another forum

nobody here cares about the marketing --- we only care about terms and conditions
Maybe he was refering to the netzero which used to give free internet access?


Possibly, or just because of the name.

Still, Netzero's been around for a long time. Since back when we had such a thing as dial-up and BBS boards and email-only access and these things we called floppy disks (both sizes) that hipsters now use for coasters... remember text based adventure games?
If you have coverage and it isn't redundant against your home or work wifi, it seems like a solid deal.

Green OP. I was going to bite the bullet and get a $50/mo VM aircard or mifi to supplement time away from wi-fi. You just saved me a ton: big thanks!

its 500mb ,, thats nothing their other plans compared to the big people out there are blown away..

not a deal for other plans maybe this one but ONLY 500MB

Thanks OP, got one.

for those running a grandfathered Ispot $25 plan --- you can check your monthly usage stats through the Clear site to help you decide

I am going to stick with the Ispot because I want to keep the plan at least for now --- but this would work with my usage profile

Iam very disappointed with Wimax in Philly. I get great speed in my condo but a half block away in Washington Squeare Park, there is virtually no signal despite the coverage map showing excellent signal. My daughter lives in Villanova, PA and there is no signal even outdoors but the map again says excellent coverage. Most of the places where i want to use 4G have no coverage at all but the map says yes.

TheBigCheese said:   Iam very disappointed with Wimax in Philly. I get great speed in my condo but a half block away in Washington Squeare Park, there is virtually no signal despite the coverage map showing excellent signal. My daughter lives in Villanova, PA and there is no signal even outdoors but the map again says excellent coverage. Most of the places where i want to use 4G have no coverage at all but the map says yes.

urban Honolulu has got fairly good coverage --- I am sure there are a few other cities that are similar --- this is not a deal for everyone

the free plan would be a way to try it out for the cost of the device

germanpope said:   TheBigCheese said:   Iam very disappointed with Wimax in Philly. I get great speed in my condo but a half block away in Washington Squeare Park, there is virtually no signal despite the coverage map showing excellent signal. My daughter lives in Villanova, PA and there is no signal even outdoors but the map again says excellent coverage. Most of the places where i want to use 4G have no coverage at all but the map says yes.

urban Honolulu has got fairly good coverage --- I am sure there are a few other cities that are similar --- this is not a deal for everyone

the free plan would be a way to try it out for the cost of the device

At $76.02 with tax and shipping for me in California is a good deal to test and see how it will handle.

200GB will be used up within a week. It's not a good plan.

Not so sure this is a great deal. I am on clears network on my laptop. I bought the card off feebay for 16 bucks. They have unlimited plans starting at 35 bucks a month for 1 meg down..

You can find used clear USB and Spots on feebay for 25-50 bucks too.

I will agree, clear is spotty at best in metro areas, and wimax is basically dead technology. 2015 is when Sprint plans to be completely switched over to LTE. Clear and Sprint share the same towers so that is likely about the time wimax will die.

hmm yes we need to

sardarji said:   200GB will be used up within a week. It's not a good plan.

yes indeed, this would be a horrible plan for someone like you --- you would be a complete fool to get a plan that grossly under-serves your data needs

duh, sherlock

germanpope said:   for those running a grandfathered Ispot $25 plan --- you can check your monthly usage stats through the Clear site to help you decide

Who would give up a grandfathered $25 ispot?

And the real question is... if they did want to... is there any way for them to transfer it to me?

Thanks for sharing OP, got it

Got mine yesterday and I have already used .46MB according to my usage report. All I have done is turn the device on, connect to the HotSpot from my tablet and change some WiFi settings (eg SSID name, WPA pw) on the HotSpot. Browser went straight to Google, so I expected to incur data usage. Not sure if I am incurring data usage whenever I turn the device on and it is establishing a connetion to the network. Display on the hotspot shows Amount of Data Transferred and Connection Duration. Both start at zero when I turn on or wake up the device, and the data transferred goes up to about 20K without me doing anything else.

I got a negative for posting comment on 200GB usage. Go figure!

Do they provide usage stat on the webpage? This might just be the plan for my folks.

ZenNUTS said:   Do they provide usage stat on the webpage? This might just be the plan for my folks.
Usage report is available on NetZero website. Update is not instantaneous. I was checking last night but usage still showed zero. I checked this morning and it shows .46MB total - .44MB from yesterday and .02MB from today (so far).

sardarji said:   I got a negative for posting comment on 200GB usage. Go figure!

honestly, you had to ask?

Skipping 8 Messages...
BostonOne said:   Anyone else take the plunge and have experience with the service they'd like to share? ...I did, and to repeat what has been said before, check for coverage in the area where you expect to need service.

I'm pleased with the service in the Denver metro area, but my secondary interest was for use one week at a time twice yearly in upstate NY. Clear's coverage map indicated they had what looked to be a single antenna in the area where I needed service, but in actuality I found no service available (to be fair, the web site states "Our network covers this area, but we aren't currently selling service here.")

Instead, for that one week that I need service twice a year, I ended up using DataJack (3G) service via a MiFi Mobile Hotspot with their 200MB / month plan . I ended up exceeding the first 200 MB in less than a week and effectively recharged my account early for an additional 200 MB of service. I selected the "manual" recharge option, so my account is effectively suspended until I decide to restart service and recharge my account. I opted for the cheapest plan -- $10 for 200 MB of data -- but there are other plans available. Details and special pricing here: http://www.datajack.com/dealnews ($50 for the MiFi Mobile Hotspot and the first month of 200MB data service -- additional ~$10 shipping / handling.) My unit arrived with a faulty AC charger (MiFi charged successfully from an alternative USB charger). DataJack provided a replacement charger in a timely manner at no additional charge. I've received what I consider to be good service / support via telephone when I had questions -- reasonably prompt connection and answers to my simple questions. The MiFi *does* function while plugged in to a wall outlet (I read somewhere that it didn't.) For my limited purposes, this has been an acceptable solution.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to use NetZero's Clear service where its available. Not sure what I'll do at the end of the first year when I'll be charged for that 200 MB monthly service.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014