• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Admins, feel free to move to free stuff, but this is a really good deal.

Application released by T-Mobile yesterday. I have installed it on both my Xoom, Thrive, and Droid X which don't have carriers (Sorry I am an Android guy). It integrates and works perfectly, no special steps, AMAZING.

In order to install you must have a Facebook account. I have a Facebook I use solely for this purpose...

I also tried this on my ZTE Cricket phone, no go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vivox.bobsledt...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'm in Mexico on vacation and it's working great on my Galaxy Nexus via Telcel prepaid 3G. Called the US multiple times ... (more)

coolbreeze (Mar. 28, 2012 @ 9:17a) |

Unless something changed recently, Google Voice CANNOT make phone calls on an iPod touch, you need a third-party VoiP ap... (more)

ahecht (Mar. 28, 2012 @ 9:20a) |

No longer requires a facebook account, can use email account instead.

Yo Ma-Ma (Apr. 14, 2012 @ 11:44p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice! you need a FB account

Thanks OP. This is exactly why I have a 2nd FB account just like I have spare spammable email addresses. Bobsled calling works great on my Android tablet - awesome. Also downloaded Bobsled Messaging but it looks like that wants a T-Mobile cell # to register.

Thanks! It took less than two minutes to download the app, log in with FB, and make a test call. Works well.

Nice if you have T-mob phone. If you don't have T- mobile phone to use this app, try Tango. Tango allows you to talk or make video calls to anyone around the world for free. Works on Apple products too.

Update: Confirmed. Bobsled does work on my Sprint HTC Evo smartphone. So should work on all carriers.

Just curious....does this app work better than GrooveIP? GrooveIP doesn't sound too good on 3G network...it needs fast wi-fi network.

not sure about sound quality, but difference between this and google voice is that with Bobsled people from OVERSEAS can call your USA# for free. Google voice does not work like that, because they do not give accounts to overseas

Is this a specialprice or always free?

Um, it was just released. If it stays free it is a big deal, T-Mobile must have a master plan...

This Seems like Facebook to Facebook calling based on the Video on Play store.
So can we call other US# without adding to Facebook?

i don't get why Tmobile would release an app to allow free phone calls. i have a limited number of phone calls in my Tmobile account so this would be nice, but why would Tmobile let me make free calls?

So is it using data to complete the call?

I've used this app on iphone over a month.. Why is it suddenly a deal..?

3G is always hit or miss (mostly miss) with VoIP. We're finally to the point with LTE where mobile VoIP could be a reality, but the carriers already have a plan for that. Low caps and high overages.

Iphone user said: I've used this app on iphone over a month.. Why is it suddenly a deal..?

I have TABLETS I have been wanting to use like this for quite a while, that is why. The requirements are different in the phone and tablet apps. No phone number is required when using the tablet application.

docjoo said:   Nice if you have T-mob phone. If you don't have T- mobile phone to use this app, try Tango. Tango allows you to talk or make video calls to anyone around the world for free. Works on Apple products too.

You don't need a T-Mobile phone at all, this is with any wireless connection, with many tablets. Not carrier based at all.

This is cool, thanks for posting about it! Just put it on my Tmobile Springboard and it's working like a charm! Cool!

this is great for a tablet. thx.

Talkatone is much better..you can make and receive calls. just need free google voice acct.

would this work on WebOS?

I'm a Tmobile user, have Tzones, out of contract, and not ever trying to go back under. Going To buy an ATT Note to Hack to run on Tmobile, as shown on XDA Forums. This would be a great back up, as there are still a few kinks in getting consistent 3G/4G. Between the house, and work, almost always around some sort of WIFI. Do we need a 2nd Facebook acct, or can we use our main one? I also have a google Voice acct, and am a Vonage customer for my main home phone. I believe they have a mobile calling app as well. Would like to have all of them as a back up.

shallot said:   would this work on WebOS?

Good question, After getting the Note, I'm trying to get ahold of a hopefully cheap Touchpad, to hack android onto, would love to test it.

If you want to make and receive calls Talkatone is better..not to mention all the other features of google voice like free sms, voicemail. iOS and Android works great.

Lockman said:   If you want to make and receive calls Talkatone is better..not to mention all the other features of google voice like free sms, voicemail. iOS and Android works great.
I love Talkatone on iOS but it's too buggy for me on Android.

This works on the HP Touchpad with android. I have CM7 and the app works nicely.

This works on the HP Touchpad with android. I have CM7 and the app works nicely.

I just did a comparison with Talkatone since you can have a call back number utilizing Google Talk. Talkatone was about a 1 star quality when I did several calls, and Bobsled was at least 4.5 out of 5. I don't know how or why the quality would be different, but I wouldn't bother to use Talkatone if the quality is always like that.

I don't see any dial pad, does this mean i can't call to a "phone"?

WorkerAnt said:   I don't see any dial pad, does this mean i can't call to a "phone"?

Depending on your device it is either in the top right Menu Icon, or if you have a menu function available somewhere else...

Obi does the same thing on my cell phone android, and my computer pc, and MY HOUSE PHONE. I have unlimted free calling from all of them. OBI for the win.

Apparently not compatible with Sprint EVO View 4G Tablet: "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

I can only make calls to Facebook friends and dial out to US/ Canada number? Also, it appears that if the person I've called via this app is not Facebook member, that person cant call me back via Bobsled. So this app is limited because there is no assigned phone number for someone to return a missed call. Also, Facebook member has to be online and signed into Facebook account to be able to receive calls.

Does anyone know if Sprint will treat Bobsled like Google Voice and charge against your minutes? Although Google Voice is making a call via VoIP, Sprint treats it as a landline call and uses up my mobile minutes.

briankh said:   Apparently not compatible with Sprint EVO View 4G Tablet: "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."

It works on Sprint HTC EVO smartphone. But not sure if Sprint will treat it like Google Voice and count against wireless minutes.

docjoo said:   Does anyone know if Sprint will treat Bobsled like Google Voice and charge against your minutes? Although Google Voice is making a call via VoIP, Sprint treats it as a landline call and uses up my mobile minutes.

Google voice doesn't make the call via VoIP. It uses your phone to call an access number, and then the access number connects you via VoiP. However, it is using your voice minutes, not your data, for the call.

This is actually VoiP, and uses your data connection, not your minutes (and therefore works on WiFi-only tablets without a cell connection).

ahecht said:   docjoo said:   Does anyone know if Sprint will treat Bobsled like Google Voice and charge against your minutes? Although Google Voice is making a call via VoIP, Sprint treats it as a landline call and uses up my mobile minutes.

Google voice doesn't make the call via VoIP. It uses your phone to call an access number, and then the access number connects you via VoiP. However, it is using your voice minutes, not your data, for the call.

This is actually VoiP, and uses your data connection, not your minutes (and therefore works on WiFi-only tablets without a cell connection).


So how come I can make a phone call on my iPod Touch with Google Voice and not pay anything? But if I use Google Voice on my smartphone, My voice minutes get used up.

Did not work with my HP Touchpad with Android CM7. App makes the call but caller receives garbled voice sounds, seems the problem is with the microphone. Also a notice from Bobsled notices that its not compatible with Android Touchpads.

docjoo said:   ahecht said:   docjoo said:   Does anyone know if Sprint will treat Bobsled like Google Voice and charge against your minutes? Although Google Voice is making a call via VoIP, Sprint treats it as a landline call and uses up my mobile minutes.

Google voice doesn't make the call via VoIP. It uses your phone to call an access number, and then the access number connects you via VoiP. However, it is using your voice minutes, not your data, for the call.

This is actually VoiP, and uses your data connection, not your minutes (and therefore works on WiFi-only tablets without a cell connection).


So how come I can make a phone call on my iPod Touch with Google Voice and not pay anything? But if I use Google Voice on my smartphone, My voice minutes get used up.


that's interesting, does it really use up the airtime minutes?

i use google voice to call; but i think google calls me first before connecting me to my caller. so i assume it was data, or could i be wrong.
[i used iphone, google voice.]

The Google Voice app doesn't use VOIP over your data connection, it initiates a callback to your phone so it appears to the receiver that the call is coming from your GV number. That's why it still uses minutes. It will also let you charge your GV account for international calls instead of paying your cell provider for that privilege.

Bobsled appears to be a true VOIP app that allows calling between members (like Viber does) but also allows outbound dialing to numbers within the US (like Talkatone or GrooveIP). However, it doesn't allow incoming calls from non-Facebook friends. Calling over WIFI to a land-line, the calls seem to have very little lag as compared to other VOIP apps I've tried. I have it on an EVO Shift 4G without any service, and it seems to do OK so far. I'll have to test it a little more.

Skipping 9 Messages...
No longer requires a facebook account, can use email account instead.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014