• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sears Auto Centers offer a $5 Sears Gift Card for free when you recycle an old automotive, lawn and garden, marine, or power sport battery

Text

Member Summary

$5 Gift Card
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

cool

My local recycle center gives more for a battery. Usually 10-20.

May want to check with yours.

Seems like recycling centers usually charge money to take stuff, I've never gotten money. Does anyone know where they will give me money in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area?

Recycling centers do not put used batteries back on the shelf and label them as new. Sears was found out doing this a while back. Of course, no longer..................................................................

Thanks OP
Limit 3
Link to Battery PDF

nice! thanks!

Recycle your battery where you brought you new one. Most places will add a core charge which is returned to you when you bring you old battery back. Costco's core is about $10? And you have to bring your original receipt.

Your battery may still be salvageable and only require it be hooked up to a conditioner with will desulfinate the lead plates inside the battery.

Leadľacid batteries lose the ability to accept a charge when discharged for too long due to sulfation, the crystallization of lead sulfate.

Shops know this and make a killing reconditioning the battery you sold them for $5 and turn around and sell you the same battery (or its parts ina remanufactered battery) for 20x more.

If you have a really good battery tender / condittioner you can leave a seemingly dead battery hooked up for a few days/weeks and bring it back to life.
See the section Sulfation and desulfation on the Lead-acid battery wiki.

KYBOSH said:   Your battery may still be salvageable and only require it be hooked up to a conditioner with will desulfinate the lead plates inside the battery.

Leadľacid batteries lose the ability to accept a charge when discharged for too long due to sulfation, the crystallization of lead sulfate.

Shops know this and make a killing reconditioning the battery you sold them for $5 and turn around and sell you the same battery (or its parts ina remanufactered battery) for 20x more.

If you have a really good battery tender / condittioner you can leave a seemingly dead battery hooked up for a few days/weeks and bring it back to life.
See the section Sulfation and desulfation on the Lead-acid battery wiki.

Kybosh - Have you been successful doing this yourself? I have read all the claims and did a lot of experiments. Even tried the epsom salt in the electrolyte. No luck. What exactly did you do and what battery tender did you use? If you have a link, that would be great. Thanks.

Check Amazon for desulphator battery charger maintainers and you will find a few choices. I really like the tecmate 181.

I have not personally tried to desuphate a battery but have seen it (read about it) being done from other forums. For batteries hat have been laying around for over a year you will prabably have to leave it hooked up to them desuphator for several weeks, i dont know enough about it to know which batteries are good candidates for revival but with enough time the any battery suffering from suphation (that is otherwise sound) should be able to be revived. Desuphation is a pretty slow process from what i understand so the real question is can you afford to wait for the battery to be rejuvinated. But if are not in a hurry to use the battery it can save you $$$.

Hi KYBOSH, thanks for the link to the TecMate TM-181. I have read the claims about the desulphator battery chargers before and have to admit it is very tempting. I use normal battery tenders on my motorcycle batteries and old jeep and they help, but the batteries still die after a couple years.

At work, we just threw out 6 Uninterrupted Power Supplies because the batteries were shot and they cost more than the UPS!

I may have to break down and buy one of these desulphator battery chargers and see if the claims are true.

Thanks OP, it worked for me in Los Angeles!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014