• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Redw000d said:   regarding faxes, etc... I have a Panasonic ShowStopper (TiVo-like) DVR, that needs to call Long Distance # for program guide info, and.. thats Why I bought my OBI110... but, I have not been successful, anybody here doing similar?
thanks!
I have 2 of the ShowStoppers. I bought a Magic Jack when I dropped my Comcast Voice, but could not make it work. I then bought the NetTalk Duo and after changing some baud rates and finding the correct number to call I was successful in using it. I had to try many numbers and baud rates to find the correct combination. After I got my Obi110 I again tried everything but was not successful trying to use google voice. I do not use any other service provider so I can't say if it will work or not. I would say that if faxing will work the showstopper should also.

It was a bitch taking my units to my sister's once a week to update the programming when I didn't have a working option at home.

With the NetTalk Duo you can use it for your Showstoppers and along with an Obi110 you will also get the benefit of E911.
NOTE: You cannot use the NetTalk as a forwarding phone in google voice. It answers every call so your other forwarding phones will only ring once then the Duo takes the call.

mikecism said:   Have had one of these (110) for a while. Once initially configured, it had been rock solid.

Really cheap, and very flexible, all things considered. The new two port model provide a more expandable SOHO option, or any easy way to give a chatty teen their own phone line at home.
I have 3 110's. I may get the 202 to replace the 2 110's I have set up for my teens.

jimates said:   macosx said:   Narcosis said:   I use the 110 with my existing Verizon landline to get free long distance calling through GV. Works great. I'd love to drop Verizon and go GV only, but haven't been able to convince the wife yet. Once and awhile the calls through GV have pretty bad echoing. And in 2 months the OBI unit has frozen once and required rebooting.

Is there an instruction manual for using, not just the setup, of bridge mode? I haven't been able to find one. I don't see the advantage of using one phone device versus two. Can you make free long distance calls from ANY Verizon landline phone? What do you dial? Can you switch between the two lines, call waiting? Bridge them together for three way call? That would be great, but I haven't seen that's possible with the device. Thanks!
I think what Narcosis is saying is that they can still use their Verizon landline but can make free long distance calls with google voice from the same phone, no elaborate hardware setup required.

Using this device will not change any usage restrictions you currently have with your landline provider.

That's it exactly. All phones in the house have access to GV outbound by dialing **1, then the phone number. They also will ring (as well as my cell) whenever someone dials my GV number (I have screening turned off in my GV account). I know the Obi device will do much more but that suffices for now.

Narcosis said:   jimates said:   macosx said:   Narcosis said:   I use the 110 with my existing Verizon landline to get free long distance calling through GV. Works great. I'd love to drop Verizon and go GV only, but haven't been able to convince the wife yet. Once and awhile the calls through GV have pretty bad echoing. And in 2 months the OBI unit has frozen once and required rebooting.

Is there an instruction manual for using, not just the setup, of bridge mode? I haven't been able to find one. I don't see the advantage of using one phone device versus two. Can you make free long distance calls from ANY Verizon landline phone? What do you dial? Can you switch between the two lines, call waiting? Bridge them together for three way call? That would be great, but I haven't seen that's possible with the device. Thanks!
I think what Narcosis is saying is that they can still use their Verizon landline but can make free long distance calls with google voice from the same phone, no elaborate hardware setup required.

Using this device will not change any usage restrictions you currently have with your landline provider.

That's it exactly. All phones in the house have access to GV outbound by dialing **1, then the phone number. They also will ring (as well as my cell) whenever someone dials my GV number (I have screening turned off in my GV account). I know the Obi device will do much more but that suffices for now.

like you said, there's quite a bit you can do. Some of the most basic configuration through their obitalk portal (or the device's own html-based interface) allow you to set any of LINE, SIP1 (or Google 1), SIP2 (or Google 2), as the primary so you don't need to pre-dial **[number].

With a little bit more work, you can also change the advanced settings to make every number that starts with either 1 or 011 to go through a particular a preset line such as LINE, SIP (or Google) (called a "Trunk"). There are a lot of possibilities.

incoming calls to different trunks can be set to have different ring tones (default).

I just wish there's an easier way to set up E911 with google voice only.

macosx said:   yesidonoitall said:   I am still after nearly 2 years sitting here with the 110 model and have no idea what to do with it.

Make phone calls? Decorate your living room? Is this a trick question? Or are you having setup problems?

I got 2 obi100, using one as a second line to my ooma. With cell phone, they are both a little redundant, but for their free or near free operating costs, worth keeping. Now, I don't know what to do with that second unit. It is a backup in case the first fails. I thought of using it as a fax line, but why? I only receive a few faxes a year and already have an online receive fax number. I only send a few faxes a year, and can use existing lines.

RE:
Or are you having setup problems?

I read the booklet that came with it then put it back in the box.

I have been and are still using...
voip's...
Phone Power

Ooma (totally free model)
and a Nettalk Duo

Narcosis said:   jimates said:   I think what Narcosis is saying is that they can still use their Verizon landline but can make free long distance calls with google voice from the same phone, no elaborate hardware setup required.

Thanks! I'm starting to understand how the bridging works. I think what I wasn't getting was that the Obi110 was listening on the Verizon line for key presses (control signals). I mistakenly thought only the phone directly plugged into the unit would benefit from the added functionality.

Please help me understand some of the limitations.

So, dialing **1 is like dialing outside line on an office phone (often dialing 9), right? The Obi phone has call waiting and 3-way calling. Do these work with the Verizon phones? Can you do a flash, and dial another **1 for 3-way calling? If you're on a Verizon landline on the Obi line and a call come into the Verizon line come in, does flash switch calls as expected? Can you join these two calls into one (something you could do with 2 physical lines)?

If you're on the Obi phone using the Verizon line, can you pick up a Verizon phone and dial **1 to make a call?

If all these features work and more, then I could see the advantages of hooking things up, and why someone suggested using 2 obi110 units vs. a single newer obi200 unit.

yesidonoitall said:   RE:
Or are you having setup problems?

I read the booklet that came with it then put it back in the box.

I have been and are still using...
voip's...
Phone Power

Ooma (totally free model)
and a Nettalk Duo

I think the main advantage of Obi is that it takes advantage of Google Voice free service. Looks like your Phone Power
does the same thing, needing an adapter they provide for free. Maybe Obi can be used in the same place. BUT, using the provider requires a service fee, while (for now) Google Voice is free. Don't recall if the booklet was sufficient to setup, but instructions are on their web site or if you simply google for them.

macosx said:   
Thanks! I'm starting to understand how the bridging works. I think what I wasn't getting was that the Obi110 was listening on the Verizon line for key presses (control signals). I mistakenly thought only the phone directly plugged into the unit would benefit from the added functionality.

So, dialing **1 is like dialing outside line on an office phone (often dialing 9), right? The Obi phone has call waiting and 3-way calling. Do these work with the Verizon phones? Can you do a flash, and dial another **1 for 3-way calling? If you're on a Verizon landline on the Obi line and a call come into the Verizon line come in, does flash switch calls as expected? Can you join these two calls into one (something you could do with 2 physical lines)?

If you're on the Obi phone using the Verizon line, can you pick up a Verizon phone and dial **1 to make a call?

If all these features work and more, then I could see the advantages of hooking things up, and why someone suggested using 2 obi110 units vs. a single newer obi200 unit.

You're making this much too complicated with how this works.

I have an OBi 110. You take the phone line that comes into the house (in your case Verizon) and plug it into the OBi's LINE port. You plug the house phone line (i.e. the line that runs to ALL of your house phone outlets) into the PHONE port of the OBi. This places the OBi between your all your house phones and the incoming Verizon line. You hook the OBi's ethernet port to your home network's router.

When you're done configuring the OBi 110, you can choose whether to make a call via your LINE port (i.e. make a call using Verizon), or via the first SIP or second SIP provider. One of those providers COULD be Google Voice. The reason to use Google Voice is free incoming and outgoing calls in the US and Canada at least through 2012.

By default, 911 calls will continue to go through Verizon unless you override that. Since GV does NOT provide E911 capability, you'd need to use Callcentric or some other provider that does on SIP2 IF you decided to dump your Verizon line.

If you get an OBi, it allows you to either cut back your Verizon bill by eliminating services (like long distance) or dump them all together. I dumped AT&T after setting up my OBi with GV and then porting my AT&T landline number to GV, so now all my landline calls go through GV, and the OBi and ring all my home phones. I disconnected the AT&T line coming into the house from the OBi's line port as I have no need for it.

You can also use the OBi to add additional providers and keep your Verizon service. One reason to do that might be to give your teenagers separate free lines, or for business lines.

You can also use the OBi remotely, where you call your house and make calls via the device's SIP providers. Unless you're calling outside the US and Canada, this has no value for me since I can make free GV calls from my cell.

Lastly (well not lastly in capability but for this response), you could configure an OBi and mail it to your old grandmother in France. You could then call her, OBi to OBi, for free. You could also call her OBi from your OBi, and use her landline capability in France to make calls within France. If she can make those calls for free, now you can. If she pays a local charge, it might be a lot less expensive than you paying for long distance calls to France.

There is no "Verizon phone" or "OBi phone".

OBi has a lot of info on their websites, as well as a forum similar to this one where OBi users have put lots of info and can answer questions if you still have them. It would be the best place to ask more questions since it's all users that own the devices.

Hope this helps.

macosx said:   Thanks! I'm starting to understand how the bridging works. I think what I wasn't getting was that the Obi110 was listening on the Verizon line for key presses (control signals). I mistakenly thought only the phone directly plugged into the unit would benefit from the added functionality.

Great questions. These things can do so much that it is easier to answer direct questions like these, rather than general info questions.

One of the most frequent misunderstandings is thinking that with multiple services on one device that you can place multiple simultaneous calls like having a multiple line phone. This cannot be done with just one Obi set up in a conventional manner, hence the new Obi with 2 phone ports (but it lacks the line port). See # 6.

I mistakenly thought only the phone directly plugged into the unit would benefit from the added functionality
The Obi only listens to the phone(s) connected to it's phone port. For dialing it waits until you complete the input and then passed the dialing to the appropriate service. Once a call is connected the key presses are passed to the active call regardless of the service in use. See my answers below for other comments on inputing tones to the line port.

1 - So, dialing **1 is like dialing outside line on an office phone (often dialing 9), right?
Correct, same basic function. With a 110 you can have 2 voip providers and a land line. The voip providers can be both google voicde, both sip, or a combination. You set any one of the configured services as the primary line for out going calls. Dialing from the phone as normal places the call using the primary line. If you want to use one of the other services you prepend the proper digits when dialing and the call goes out on the desired service. **1 for SP1, **2 for SP2, **8 for line or **9 for Obitalk service. Pressing # will connect the phone port to the line directly, bypassing the Obi and you will hear the dial tone from the line service provider.

2 - The Obi phone has call waiting and 3-way calling. Do these work with the Verizon phones?
The Obi does have call waiting and 3 way calling. A call coming in on any service will activate call waiting on the phone.

3 - Can you do a flash, and dial another **1 for 3-way calling?
yes, you can do a 3 way like that or you can connect a second incoming call to the call already in progress.

4 - If you're on a Verizon landline on the Obi line and a call come into the Verizon line come in, does flash switch calls as expected? You would do a double hook/flash instead of a single to do it on the line. (If you initiated the call on the line by pressing # you bypassed the Obi from the start and then all phone functions would only be recognized by the line, not the Obi). You can also set it so that the hook/flash is always handled by the line instead of the Obi.

5 -Can you join these two calls into one (something you could do with 2 physical lines)?
You can transfer an incoming call to another call (3 way) and then leave the conversation, and the 2 calls will be connected to each other. or you can do a blind transfer where you do not have the 3 way first. Each service supports 2 simultaneous sessions, so you can connect a call from SP1 to a call from SP2, leave the conversation and still be able to either receive a call or place a call on SP1 or SP2. If the calls you connect are both from the same service then both sessions will be used for that one but you can still use one of the other ones.

6 - If you're on the Obi phone using the Verizon line, can you pick up a Verizon phone and dial **1 to make a call?
The phone port of the Obi only supports one active session at a time. So if you have multiple phones connected to the Obi's phone port they cannot be used for multiple simultaneous calling. If you split the line ahead of the Obi and have some phones connected only to the line and some phone connected to the Obi, you can use those ahead of the Obi only for calls on the line. This would allow you to make or receive calls on the line while another call is in progress from one of the SP services. if you have 2 Obi110's you can either daisy chain them and have only one phone port, or you can set them up separate so you have 2 independent phones. If you do that you can also configure each one so that you can access the other Obi's services for calling or to have both phones ring when a call comes in on any of the services.

Just found a work around for the caller id name situation.

LINK

EradicateSpam said:   You're making this much too complicated with how this works.
When you're done configuring the OBi 110, you can choose whether to make a call via your LINE port (i.e. make a call using Verizon), or via the first SIP or second SIP provider.
I dumped AT&T after setting up my OBi with GV and then porting my AT&T landline number to GV, so now all my landline calls go through GV, and the OBi and ring all my home phones. I disconnected the AT&T line coming into the house from the OBi's line port as I have no need for it.
You can also use the OBi to add additional providers and keep your Verizon service. One reason to do that might be to give your teenagers separate free lines, or for business lines.
There is no "Verizon phone" or "OBi phone".

It really is more complicated than it appears. If you're talking about one phone and two lines/services, and only making one call at a time, then it's simple. However, if you want two separate calls or want to join together calls on different services, it gets more complicated. jimates provides some excellent answers to what it can and cannot do, and I'm quite surprised at some of the things it can do that I didn't expect.

If you don't need to bridge the line port, then you could easily achieve the same with the Obi100. For simplicity, I have two phone (groups) and two lines (one Obi100 the other Ooma). I can make and receive calls on either phone/line. If I used an Obi110 instead and bridged them, the two phone groups would would gain and lose some functionality that's not immediately obvious.

BTW, Obi110 come with 2 ports, labeled LINE and PHONE.

http://www.jrin.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/obi100-obi11...

I'm calling phones connected to the LINE "Verizon phone" and those connecetd to PHONE "OBi phone". The behavior in the two sets of phones is different at times, especially if you're crossing over. I suspect you could pick up a "Verizon phone" and dial **1 to make a call, then pick up the "Obi phone" and make a second simultaneous call (hopefully both over the SP2 or via Verizon line), but if you were to make (or take?) a call on the Verizon line on the "Obi phone", you'd tie all the phones together.

On second though, I'm still a little confused. I noticed on second reading of what jimates said that the "Verizon phone" can only make calls on the Verizon line. So that portion isn't being monitored for key presses by the Obi110, and can't make calls dialing **1. Hmmm. Two simultaneous calls on two phones is still limited to own line.

jimates said:   Great questions. These things can do so much that it is easier to answer direct questions like these, rather than general info questions.
Awesome answers! I haven't read them fully, but the Obi110 is more powerful than I first understood. It seems like it's almost able to function like those old fashioned multi-line phones with the red button (hold) and four yellow lines.

http://gravitationalpull.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/yhst-...

ok, so, you were NOT successful, with your SS and OBI110? .. I guess I choose the Wrong one.. didn't buy a net duo... can't see a reason to buy both? Wish it would work.. not sure why it won't... thanks

jimates said:   Redw000d said:   regarding faxes, etc... I have a Panasonic ShowStopper (TiVo-like) DVR, that needs to call Long Distance # for program guide info, and.. thats Why I bought my OBI110... but, I have not been successful, anybody here doing similar?
thanks!
I have 2 of the ShowStoppers. I bought a Magic Jack when I dropped my Comcast Voice, but could not make it work. I then bought the NetTalk Duo and after changing some baud rates and finding the correct number to call I was successful in using it. I had to try many numbers and baud rates to find the correct combination. After I got my Obi110 I again tried everything but was not successful trying to use google voice. I do not use any other service provider so I can't say if it will work or not. I would say that if faxing will work the showstopper should also.

It was a bitch taking my units to my sister's once a week to update the programming when I didn't have a working option at home.

With the NetTalk Duo you can use it for your Showstoppers and along with an Obi110 you will also get the benefit of E911.
NOTE: You cannot use the NetTalk as a forwarding phone in google voice. It answers every call so your other forwarding phones will only ring once then the Duo takes the call.

EradicateSpam said:   When you're done configuring the OBi 110, you can choose whether to make a call via your LINE port (i.e. make a call using Verizon), or via the first SIP or second SIP provider. One of those providers COULD be Google Voice. The reason to use Google Voice is free incoming and outgoing calls in the US and Canada at least through 2012.
Is it an easy matter of assigning which line (landline, first SIP, or second SIP) is the default one? I would want to make the landline the default for outgoing calls.

Deal is dead? Price is showing $46.99 for me right now. Amazon, meanwhile, shows $49.99, so I guess this Newegg deal no longer would be considered particularly hot?

poohbie said:   EradicateSpam said:   When you're done configuring the OBi 110, you can choose whether to make a call via your LINE port (i.e. make a call using Verizon), or via the first SIP or second SIP provider. One of those providers COULD be Google Voice. The reason to use Google Voice is free incoming and outgoing calls in the US and Canada at least through 2012.
Is it an easy matter of assigning which line (landline, first SIP, or second SIP) is the default one? I would want to make the landline the default for outgoing calls.

Very simple.

For those interested, here is good explanation for some of what the new Obi202 can do. RonR isn't know for layman's terms but he did pretty good on this one.

Here's some additional information about call handling between the two PHONE Ports:

PHONE 1/2 Collaborative Features (OBi202 Only)

While PHONE 1 and PHONE 2 can function independently of each other, the OBi202 also offers some collaborative features to let the two phone ports work together as a mini phone system.

With the factory default digit map and call routing rules, you can dial a single # (pound/hash) digit to call from one phone port to ring the other phone port. Depending on the current state of the called phone, one of the following can happen:

1. If the called phone is idle (on-hook), it will ring normally with a special Caller-ID that indicates the call is from the other PHONE Port.

2. If the called phone is already on a call, the calling phone will barge in to join the call

3. If the called phone is on-hook with a call on-hold, the calling phone will pick up and resume that call.

4. If the called phone is ringing, the calling phone will pick up and aswer that call.

5. For all other scenarios, the calling phone will hear busy tone.

Note that you can prevent the calling phone port from doing 2, 3 and 4, as they can be disabled by setting the parameter EnablePhonePortBargeIn to false for that port. In that case, 2 will become normal call-waiting on the called phone, but the calling phone will hear busy tone for 3 and 4.

You can also transfer an external call from PHONE 1 to PHONE 2 the usual way: while connected on an external all, hook flash and dial # to ring the other phone, then hang up to transfer when the caller phone rings or answers.

For incoming calls on any trunk (SP1-4 or OBiTALK Service), one can set up the corresponding inbound call route to ring just PHONE 1 or PHONE 2 or both. The default inbound call routes are setup to ring both phone ports.

For outgoing calls, each phone port has its own digit map and outbound call route configuration, which means that you have the full flexibility in allocating trunks for making calls from each port independently. Each port may also have a different primary line assigned; the default however is to set the prmary line to SP1 for both phone ports.

Instead of buying this, spend another $20 and buy magicjack plus. You will have a number with E911 and you don't have to worry about whether Obihai would still be working next year or not with GV!

I just posted a deal for a multi handset system that has Bluetooth Cellink. Link your cell phone with your home phone.

Text

If I own a VOIP service, they do come with an adapter, why I still need the OBI100 or OBI110?

I hate to be the sourpuss on this one, but I have this set up with Google Voice and Callcentric for E911 and have significant issues. I have installed, reinstalled, updated firmware, reset the device, and I still have intermittent issues with receiving calls and keeping calls connected. There are MANY threads on their forums regarding this problem, including my ownthread, which never got answered last I checked. This is a great way to save money, and for the money it has saved me I don't hate it, but this isn't one of those products that "just works."

consumer1 said:   Instead of buying this, spend another $20 and buy magicjack plus. You will have a number with E911 and you don't have to worry about whether Obihai would still be working next year or not with GV!

Myself, MJ is not good at all.
The nettalk duo is great $50 with one year of service, $30 thereafter.
There is the new nettalk duo wifi, $65.00

who says Google is going to start charging in 2012?

I tried Magicjack with no luck maybe they are better now. I bought one of the first ones over 3 years ago.
I do have OOMA now and it is doing great for over 2 years.

tbone209 said:   I tried Magicjack with no luck maybe they are better now. I bought one of the first ones over 3 years ago.
I do have OOMA now and it is doing great for over 2 years.

I use
Ooma, a totally free model
Phone Power

and the
Nettalk duo
All work equally well....

Naturally the Phone Power
has the most features but it costs the most..
The best is the Simultaneous ring to other numbers.
(the others do not have that)

vickh said:   step by step directions to use with google voice??

have a dial tone, but can't complete calls...

You need to place a call from Google Chat first.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014