• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
sAME HERE..I GO STRAIGHT TO RETENTIONS AND GET SUNDAY TICKET FOR FREE EVERY YEAR

Called to cancel my service due to Viacom dispute and the rep offered the following:

$23 off per month for a year
FREE NFL Sunday Ticket w/Redzone channel
$150 account credit
Additional $10 off for next three months

Not bad for a 5 minute call.

What number r u gus calling. I just called and cancelled NFL season ticket. the best they ffered me was $35 month x 6 payments.

So since the Viacom dispute is settled, anyone else getting decent discounts for ST Max? Trying to help a buddy out again so I can use his online access. The FW threads on this subject the last few years have saved us hundreds of dollars.

Alternatively, I may sign up myself as a new customer if they will let me cancel after the football season is over.

osujim99 said:   Called to cancel my service due to Viacom dispute and the rep offered the following:

$23 off per month for a year
FREE NFL Sunday Ticket w/Redzone channel
$150 account credit
Additional $10 off for next three months

Not bad for a 5 minute call.

Pretty amazing, $150 credit, ST, and $23 off a month? What exactly did you say to pull that off? I was only offered the $23 + $10.

PhortyninerPhil said:   Pretty amazing, $150 credit, ST, and $23 off a month? What exactly did you say to pull that off? I was only offered the $23 + $10.

It was during the Viacom dispute. That ship may have sailed.

pope411 said:   PhortyninerPhil said:   Pretty amazing, $150 credit, ST, and $23 off a month? What exactly did you say to pull that off? I was only offered the $23 + $10.

It was during the Viacom dispute. That ship may have sailed.

I very politely said I wanted to cancel my service as of a certain date. I stated that my cable company called and offered me a sweet deal due to the Viacom dispute, which was partly true. I mentioned that I also got Redzone channel with their package, which prompted the Free ST. I may have lucked out as the retentions rep was very nice and understood my need for Nick Jr when you have children.

I am still under contract (1 year left) and there was no mention of an ETF to change my mind. I made sure nothing extended my contract either. My guess is that the reps were informed not to let a customer leave if the reason was due to the Viacom dispute and do WHATEVER is necessary to keep the customer.

Any news on the PS3 ticket?

I called a CSR today and asked for a credit on my bill due to the Viacom dispute. I didn't go the retentions route, yet they still offered me $10 off my bill for 2 months. I'll take it...

i called a while back and got the sunday ticket, will that show up in my account online? Or will I just get the channels? I just want to confirm what they told me on the phone will happen.

Wfuscrub said:   i called a while back and got the sunday ticket, will that show up in my account online? Or will I just get the channels? I just want to confirm what they told me on the phone will happen.

It will show up in your account online. I saw mine shortly after called in.

Out of contract, customer for 9 years, some credits already on my account. I told them that we have Verizon for everything except TV and they are putting the hard sell on. Offered some lame Starz pack, $10 off per month for 12 months, etc. I said let me call Verizon and see what they are offering and get back to you. They immediately offered: $100 PP Visa gift card, $10/month/12 months, free ST. I did have to sign a one year contract, but I am ok with that as D* has been very good to me and I really don't care to leave.

Several people did better than me, but this is what I got -
Sunday Ticket MAX for $150 (instead of $300)
$30 off my bill for 1 year (savings of $360)

I would have pushed if not for the $30 off for 12 months. I call 1-2 times per year and have never been offered $30 off for that long. I really just wanted Red Zone channel, but I'm ok with how it all worked out.

I'm a long time subscriber (over 10 years) who does not have a contract.

i am about to be a member for 1 yr, which means my monthly charge is going to go up. Since i am still under contract for another year, do i have any play to keep them from increasing my monthly price?

I wish NFL would come up with the equivalent of the mlb.tv. I really don't watch TV EXCEPT for baseball and football (ncaa and nfl). Certainly don't want to sign up for 2yrs of directv just for this but would gladly pay $200+ for HD streaming of all the NFL games.

Yuyak said:   I wish NFL would come up with the equivalent of the mlb.tv. I really don't watch TV EXCEPT for baseball and football (ncaa and nfl). Certainly don't want to sign up for 2yrs of directv just for this but would gladly pay $200+ for HD streaming of all the NFL games.

Too much money involved when it comes to NFL broadcasts. Companies like DirecTv, rely on these deals to secure new customers and keep current ones.

I just called... got ST for free plus credits.

I've been with DTV since 2004 which helps. But I feel the easiest way to get free stuff and credits is to say my wife is pissed seeing the Sunday Tix charge on the bill and wants to switch to Comcast (your local competitor). Works like a charm, and is pretty much the truth anyway.

They gave ST for free as well as $20/month credit for 12 months ($240) plus the $5/month for 3 month Viacom dispute credit ($15) which I never asked for. I did have to agree to a 12-month contract which is totally fine with me since I'm not going anywhere... until next Sunday tix rolls around! In looking at my details below after the phone call, not sure I'm getting ST Max, or just the regular. Kind of looks like the basic one but I don't care as I will never use the online service and I don't need redzone.

As in all of these phone calls, totally depends on the person you get. I went to cancellations and the old lady was super nice and said her husband is a die-hard NFL fan and would flip if he lost sunday ticket! LOL

08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2012 HD - Charge $0.00 $0.00
08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - $20/12moBasePkg ($20.00) $0.00
08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - 3moDisputeCrdt ($5.00) $0.00
08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2012 - Charge $0.00 $0.00
08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX Programming Agreement - Charge $0.00 $0.00
08/29/2012 XXXXXXXX Courtesy Credit - Charge $0.00 $0.00

Just called and got ST w/ red zone for free with a one year commitment. Perfect because I can call back a year from now and hopefully get it again. I have no contract (have been with DTV for like 10 years), and last season I got it for like $150 or something but got monthly credits to offset it to free. This time its just free.

I called and said cancel, and was transferred to retentions. Told the lady that I didnt want my ST to auto renew, and she said I could downgrade to regular ST for $199. I said no thanks, and then she said she could offer it for half price ($100, I guess). I told her that it was free last year, and that free would be the only way id renew it. She said she could do basic ST with no red zone for free with a one year commitment. I agreed, and then while entering it she said that red zone showed up as an option, so she added that in for me as well.

So, ST w/ RZ for free with a one year contract. And I got a $5 credit for the Viacom thing.

I'm only 7 months in on my first year of the 2-year contract. I'm pretty pissed, cause I could have totally waited but the rep said they wouldn't offer the NFL ticket to new customers this year and the only way they did it was because of the impending lockout. Total BS. anyhow, he guaranteed to me that the NFL ticket would not be offered for free this year to new customers. 3 months later, the deal was out. Any suggestions? They kind of got me by the pair and if I cancel now, I may have well had paid the ST Max price.

Go directly to retentions like the previous poster said. This is SALES, so act like you aren't sure and you may be able to be convinced to stay.

Give a good story, say you are quitting because the cable company offered you a great deal with every channel you previously had and included Red Zone.

They will ask you for a price, make it like 40% lower than what you are paying now. Be nice nice nice to the CSR and you will most likely get helped. Dont be rude.

Keep trying this works every year or me or the past 3 years. If they call you on your bluff and don't budge, say you aren't sure you want to cancel yet.

call back in 20 min and do it again.

Some years it has taken 2 calls, this year it took me one. I got a nice lady.

free reg sunday ticket - savings $150( they offered the max for $149 which only allows me to watch it online. Not worth it. I may try again a few games into the season.)
$25 off my basic for 1 year - savings of $300
and $5 off each of my movie channels - for 6 months = $120

I did sign a one year commitment but big deal i saved over $550

Good luck

found this forum doing a search before i called DTV in order to fish for a discount. i have had ST Max the last 2 years and at $299 i felt it was time to give it a shot, especially b/c i keep hearing about successful calls made like in this thread.

and just now, i had no luck in getting a discount of significant value that warranted me to keep ST this year. they offered ST (just games, no RZ chan etc., bare bones games only) for $149 ($24.99 x 6 payments) or ST Max (keeping what i had) for $209.94 ($34.99 x 6 payments). since i just re-entered a 2-yr commitment for upgrading my hdvr receiver last month, i have no negotiating power and i regret not having researched this prior. i am a bit peeved though b/c they offered it for free the last 2 years and i have not had any discounts on my account. i didn't speak to RETENTIONS though, only CS and Premium Services. i cancelled it after all and they informed me that the first week will be free to all subscribers FYI. and, the rep didn't seem to concerned about losing a subscriber to the service so that i found interesting. i may call again in the next couple days to see what they may offer from retentions.

good luck to all.

This makes me wonder if I still have Red Zone. For teams I really don't care about, it is an interesting way to waste a couple hours on Sunday.

Thank god I found this forum! Directv customer for just over 2 years. Just out of contract by 2 months. Called to find out about red zone channel. She advised me that I needed to buy ST Max for 299.99. I said it was too much for just the red zone channel. That was all I wanted. No added help. Hung up and called retention about 30 minutes later. Told him straight up that I want Red Zone, but can't pay 299 for the st max. My only choice was to call Dish. I told him I didn't want to cancel but the wife would kill me if she saw 300 spent on the ticket. He gave me ST Max for free for renewing with Directv for 12 more months. Awesome!

You have to talk to retentions. I say I want to cancel service immediately. They ask why. I tell them DISH offers red zone channel for free and that's good enough for me. I also say I love Directv and don't want to leave, but feel like I must. I'm not rude, just very matter of fact. With that being said, others have done better than me on here, but you must speak to retentions.

Anyone getting deals now that week 1 is over?

Has anyone tried to cancel your Directv and sign up in your wifes name at the same house? I was considering this to get the new customer perks and get updated equipment. What do you guys think?

We gave up on ST a couple of years ago when most of the games we wanted to watch were not on ST. We got it for the HD, but since our local Fox (which was still SD at the time) played the games, they were locked out on ST. When our "local" ABC affiliate, who's digital transmissions don't reach us, plays games, we're still locked out. We realized that we were buying ST for about 8 games a YEAR, and still missing many of the ones we wanted to watch (or had to watch them in crappy 480i, with the incorrect anamorphic format).

When they broadcast _every_ game, I'll be back. I'm not holding my breath.

sbleds said:   Has anyone tried to cancel your Directv and sign up in your wifes name at the same house? I was considering this to get the new customer perks and get updated equipment. What do you guys think?

Yes, I've heard of numerous people doing this. You just need to use a different phone number as well as your wife's name/SS#.

Overzeetop said:   We gave up on ST a couple of years ago when most of the games we wanted to watch were not on ST. We got it for the HD, but since our local Fox (which was still SD at the time) played the games, they were locked out on ST. When our "local" ABC affiliate, who's digital transmissions don't reach us, plays games, we're still locked out. We realized that we were buying ST for about 8 games a YEAR, and still missing many of the ones we wanted to watch (or had to watch them in crappy 480i, with the incorrect anamorphic format).

When they broadcast _every_ game, I'll be back. I'm not holding my breath.

I don't they'll ever broadcast every game, that's probably part of the contract agreement they have with the NFL. The package (and frankly all their sports packages) are for out of market games so any game available to you via your local FOX or CBS station will be blacked out on the Sunday Ticket channels.

Should I cancel my existing subscription BEFORE signing her up? Or does it matter at all?

Just called and got ST Max w/RedZone for free.....not even a contract extension.

pobox2001 said:   Just called and got ST Max w/RedZone for free.....not even a contract extension.

can you elaborate a bit on how you got this deal? did you speak with retentions and say anything in particular?

and by not even a contract extension, does that mean you are still in contract before you got the free Redzone?

i'm in the second year of my contract and have already canceled RZ but would like it for free obviously.. just not sure what leverage i have at this point in my contract

thanks for the help!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.