• Text Only
fallonjp said:   VoR said:   Jellybean soon, I don't think I can say no to this any longer...how bad is the camera?

I have the CDMA version and love the phone, but I can't stand the camera. In good outdoor light with little to no movement pictures come out pretty well. Just about anything indoors, in low light, or with the slightest movement and the pictures suck. I've got a 5 year old and an 18 month old and I don't even bother using it to try and take pictures of them.

Better techology was available when this phone was released, there's no reason it shouldn't have been given a better camera.

straight up deal breaker for me since my phone is my camera.

so sad, $349 for this caliber phone is ridiculous.

Dang, I'm bailing on VZW for prepaid soon and really would like a GSM device unlocked. My Droid X has horrible lag for photos so I won't rely too much on this camera, but with a 18mo and 4yo I was hoping to remedy that with my next phone...

VoR said:   Dang, I'm bailing on VZW for prepaid soon and really would like a GSM device unlocked. My Droid X has horrible lag for photos so I won't rely too much on this camera, but with a 18mo and 4yo I was hoping to remedy that with my next phone...

The lag on photos is almost non-existent, but the quality isn't that great. It's advertised to have zero shutter lag and if you hold down the shutter soft key, as soon as you release it will take a pic instantly. This is a nice feature that more phones have now, but unfortunately it doesn't make up for the shortcomings.

The camera really is the weak point on this phone. It's not useless, but it doesn't measure up to its competition.

Nice phone for a decent price. The camera is not great... however all the other features are pretty nice.

Camera works just fine for me.

NeuroSynapsis said:    straight up deal breaker for me since my phone is my camera.

gotta disagree with this... for me, what's ridiculous is watching somebody taking priceless photos with any cell phone.

it sorta reminds me of that old saw about wearing a $10 motorcycle helmet, because your head is only worth $10.

For $100 you can get a killer still camera that takes far better pictures than anything that has ever been put on a cell phone... and that will continue to be the case for the rest of our lifetimes.

Safeco
Disclaimer

Mariners
Disclaimer
NeuroSynapsis said:   ^^

wow, if the camera didn't suck so bad I'd be all over that.

What? It's perfectly serviceable for a cellphone. The zero shutter lag makes up for non Nokia 808 quality photos. I love mine!

Here are some recent photos from my GSM GNEX. They look great to me!

This phone is the only Android phone worth getting. Yes, it's better than the SGSIII. Pure Google is simply incredible! $349 is a ridiculously low price-point. Buy it now!!

Is there white color one of this type?

whiteb8791 said:   Is there white color one of this type?

I dunno if Google sells it directly, but there are 3 colors of the Galaxy Nexus in the world, white, black and a grey.

I'll have to say the picture on my previous S1 looks more saturated and this GNex is kinda washed out compared to it. On the other hand the zero shutter lag does work and i can just keep taking continuous picture without stopping whereas the S1 would struggle to process one picture at a time. A lot of times you only have the camera on hand to take pictures so there is no way you can always be lugging around dedicated Point and Shoot all the time, nobody said you'll take photography-award winning pictures with a phone camera so for what it does it's perfectly fine, with all the performance and features it can't be beat. i'm expecting to wear mine for at least 3 to 4 years and I don't expect it would be outdated then so I'll probably wear it until it dies a peaceful natural death.

So now, back to the deal, will they refund me the $50 more i paid for it two months ago when this thread started.

SteelRing said:   
So now, back to the deal, will they refund me the $50 more i paid for it two months ago when this thread started.

Since nobody here works at Google Play, why don't you just ring them up and ask? I know recent purchasers are reporting success with the $50 refund. Not sure about 2 months ago. I paid $649 months back and am ok with that, so...

I have a GN and think the camera is good. Not great, but I wouldn't really expect it to be, but the photos are good enough even in low light (turn off the flash, it will startle your subject).

Edit to add: love the phone. By far the best phone I've had and the best android phone I've used. Amazing battery life, snappy, and well supported by google (ie, you'll get jellybeans).

I'm not saying the camera is terrible, but for the technology that was available when the phone was designed and released it is underwhelming. My wife has the HTC Rezound, and the camera on her phone blows my GNex's away.

I don't expect my phone to be my only camera, but I expect it to be able to capture good shots of moments when all I have is my phone in my pocket....it doesn't do this often enough. I sitll love the phone, but I'd be much happier with a better camera, and for a flagship device I would have expected the best avaialable at the time.

I purchased it two days ago for $399. Do you think I can make a price adjust from google play store .... or just simple refuse the package from UPS then reorder the phone once again for $349.

owenyuen said:   I purchased it two days ago for $399. Do you think I can make a price adjust from google play store .... or just simple refuse the package from UPS then reorder the phone once again for $349.

Play.Google.Com said: Need to make a change to your order? Call us at 1-855-83-NEXUS (1-855-836-3987)

Should credit you since you just ordered

google play would do the price adjustment (refund 50$) if you bought it within 2 weeks.

Thanks.... I will call them now.

I just ordered this 2 days ago at $399. Am I the only one that is concerned that the price drop means they are about to release a new phone??? I would have liked a removable battery and a memory card....

is there an option to buy from Amazon to avoid paying $17.00 tax

I doubt Nexus devices will allow external storage. There is money to be made by upselling additional internal memory, which can cover the profit losses of the entry-level device... So don't wait for that. Same for the battery. As your phone starts to not hold the charge as it used too, that would push you to buy a new one. Think Gillette razor blades with that blue strip that slowly disappears.

I got a Nexus for wife to replace an original iPhone and she loves it, but I will stay with my G2 for a while. Works like a charm, I added a Class10 32GB microSD and an extended battery so this will remain my utility/tool cellphone for a while.

yaijic said:   I just ordered this 2 days ago at $399. Am I the only one that is concerned that the price drop means they are about to release a new phone??? I would have liked a removable battery and a memory card....

osv1 said:   NeuroSynapsis said:    straight up deal breaker for me since my phone is my camera.

gotta disagree with this... for me, what's ridiculous is watching somebody taking priceless photos with any cell phone.

it sorta reminds me of that old saw about wearing a $10 motorcycle helmet, because your head is only worth $10.

For $100 you can get a killer still camera that takes far better pictures than anything that has ever been put on a cell phone... and that will continue to be the case for the rest of our lifetimes.

carrying around 1 device > carrying around 2 devices. Old saying holds true, best camera is the one you have on you.

gNex owners: camera is serviceable
iPhone4s owners: camera is awesome

there IS a difference. I'm not an fanboy, I just need a phone with a great camera - the SGS3 delivers, the gNexus does not.

NeuroSynapsis said:   

show me a no contract phone for the same price that can compete. you can't.

chaddi said:   KayK said:   Now that's what I call a hot deal!

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

ETA: 4G speeds on both AT&T AND T-Mobile. This is one of the very few pentaband GSM phones out there.

Don't worry, it'll keep getting hotter and hotter. Nothing beats the iphone ..yet.

Right, except my Android based phone that has had all the "features" for the last two years that the "new" iOS is touting like turn-by-turn navigation in their "new" iOS 6. It's about time iOS caught up.

For those of you looking for a credit you need to fill out this form...

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=nexus_price

Don't even bother calling because all they do in the call is send you that link.

tek2k said:   NeuroSynapsis said:   

show me a no contract phone for the same price that can compete. you can't.

yes, which is why I said $349 for this phone is ridiculous. Ridiculous meaning ridiculously cheap for the quality of phone.

and if it had a better camera, I'd be all over it.

chimpsnest said:   
Right, except my Android based phone that has had all the "features" for the last two years that the "new" iOS is touting like turn-by-turn navigation in their "new" iOS 6. It's about time iOS caught up.

goes both ways. w/o going into an iOS vs android battle, android and iOS are finally starting to reach parity. There are some features that android does better, or did first, and there are some features that iOS does better, or did first.

which one is better for you completely depends on your use cases.

Here's the link for the $50 refund. Only valid for phones purchased from Google Play in the last 14 days. Hey, that's fair, IMO. They had to draw the line somewhere.

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=nexu...

fallonjp said:   for a flagship device I would have expected the best avaialable at the time.
The Nexus line was never intended to be a super-phone with ridiculous specs. It's a reference developer model to set a baseline for app design and deployment.

If anyone was ever expecting the Nexus line to have crazy specs, you will be disappointed. There are other options for that (SGSIII, etc) but their updates and crappy overlays totally kill my interest, at least.

coolbreeze said:   Here's the link for the $50 refund. Only valid for phones purchased from Google Play in the last 14 days. Hey, that's fair, IMO. They had to draw the line somewhere.

I started filling out the form but its not very clear on where to go to get the credit. The first page of the form looks to be very straight forward but then it seems to get a little confusing after that. Has anyone had any luck getting this credit to go through??

yaijic said:   coolbreeze said:   Here's the link for the $50 refund. Only valid for phones purchased from Google Play in the last 14 days. Hey, that's fair, IMO. They had to draw the line somewhere.

I started filling out the form but its not very clear on where to go to get the credit. The first page of the form looks to be very straight forward but then it seems to get a little confusing after that. Has anyone had any luck getting this credit to go through??

I just rec'd the phone on the day they dropped the price $50, and filled out the form from this thread. I filled out the page and haven't heard anything yet, but that was just earlier today.

I don't recall seeing anything past the one page to fill out, what did you see?

I got mine at 399 last week so i called google play and asked for price match. It took only 2 minutes on phone and GOOGLE PLAY IS ALREADY PRPARED TO PRICE MATH FOR 15 DAYS. AWESOME........... Its great phone

I filled out the form online 3 times and all it says, ...... Thanks for using google play after i press submit button. No confirmation but google play customer rep told me that as long as its 15 days i dont have to worry at all

With today's news about Apple

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-29/apple-wins-order-blocki...

Is the price of 349 even sweeter?

Roism said:   With today's news about Apple

Yeah, if you are on the fence, better order now before the ban takes place.

Roism said:   With today's news about Apple

Samsung appeals Galaxy Nexus ban

out of stock now. Seems due to the court's denial to stop injunction:
theverge.com
That's just ridiculous.

cehkc said:   out of stock now. Seems due to the court's denial to stop injunction:
theverge.com
That's just ridiculous.

I love how the internet is erupting with FUD about this "coming soon" notification.

Apple never posted the 90-ish million dollar bond. That was the only way for them to stop sales of the GNEX. If they did, the news woud have been ALL OVER the internet. It never was.

This is probably nothing more than:

1. Out of stock
-or-
2. Google is flashing phones to 4.1 prior to shipping
-or-
3. Google is flashing phones with the "patch" that is supposed to help Apple stop crying. This patch is intended to address Apple's infringement claims that started this whole debacle.

I'm betting it's #3.

But of course the internet will knee-jerk and e8ay prices will probably skyrocket for no reason at all.

What do I know though? I'm just another internet commenter who knows not one bit more than the next. I do know that Apple never posted the bond, however.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Apple ponied-up the 96 million and the GNEX is no longer for sale.

I hate Apple with a passion (typing this on a Macbook Pro - house if full of Apple gear and it makes me sick). Never again, Apple. They lost a customer.

GOOD price, how can I get it?

I bought this phone two week ago with IC4.0 installed. Can I upgrade to Android Jelly Beans & how?

dont think they rolled out the jelly bean yet, but when they do your phone will notify you, download it, then reboot itself to install it. thats what happened to my gnex last time the released 4.04.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.