• Text Only
kenmoreland said:   5678 said:   GWBush said:   coolmind said:   fatxman said:   Not sure what google is trying to do here. You can get the latest iPhone for $199 from Apple.com. Google is charging 2x as much.
199 - 2 year contract..
this is w/o contract

I agree with the original question, yes, no contract which gives you the freedom of dumping the data plan when you cant afford it. But, it's not like most will save anything since they will be paying for a data plan, with or without a contract so why not take the subsidy? Not necessarily on an iPhone but any phone...

One hidden thing that you do get as a result of getting an on-contract phone is not having a SIM-unlocked phone. Sure that doesn't really matter for neither Verizon nor Sprint, but it is a dealbreaker for many of us who travel frequently and would rather save by renting/purchasing SIM cards abroad.

Besides, if you know what you are doing, and you are a light enough user, you can break even without carrier subsidy in rather short order (usually about a year). That includes not having to pay ETF, too.

If you are out of contract with T-Mobile, you can get a statement credit for signing a new two year
contract without getting a subsidized phone. My brother bought a Nexus One two years ago,
and T-Mobile offered him a $100 statement credit for extending his contract for two more years.

I personally prefer buying an unsubsidized phone and using it with a T-Mobile prepaid plan. I bought
an HTC Radar (Windows Phone 7.5) with a 20% off coupon at the Microsoft Store, and use it with T-Mobile's
prepaid 4G plan.

If you have a 4G phone, you can get unlimited talk and text plus 100 MB of 4G data for $50 a month, 2 GB of
data for $60 a month, or 5 GB of data for $70 a month. If you buy your refills from Callingmart.com, you can
get a 5% discount with coupon codes. It works for me.

Or you could just do the value plan and save $20+ a month... totally up to you..

jojosung said:   doe any one know if we can you medianet on this phone?that depends if ATT can detect whether it is a smartphone. i bought a refurb galaxy (not unlocked i think) and ATT sent me a txt 6 hours after I put in the SIM removing my medianet and automatically put me in the data plan.

fatxman said:   Not sure what google is trying to do here. You can get the latest iPhone for $199 from Apple.com. Google is charging 2x as much.

Another classic statement from fatxman.

Green for this deal.

So I received my Nexus this afternoon. Tried to power it up... and nothing! Tried plugging the phone in to see if the battery is maybe discharged (which it should not be, brand new) and there is no indication the phone is alive or is being charged. Even tried to power it up w/o battery but plugged in and still nothing.

I'm not an Android phone person but it sounds like this one is DOA.

Any ideas?

vip007 said:   So I received my Nexus this afternoon. Tried to power it up... and nothing! Tried plugging the phone in to see if the battery is maybe discharged (which it should not be, brand new) and there is no indication the phone is alive or is being charged. Even tried to power it up w/o battery but plugged in and still nothing.

I'm not an Android phone person but it sounds like this one is DOA.

Any ideas?

leave it charge for a few hours. The battery must be dead for a while so just let it charge for at least 4 hours and you'll be able to turn it on. After 8 hours, it's a DOA.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this and keep my Sprint Galaxy Nexus for domestic use and use this one for international. Ahhh, Google owns me!

Is Sprint version dual CDMA/GSM?

just received GN from Expansys Brand new working great on tmobile and tzones ics 4.0.2

I need to buy a separate sim card right? Is it a normal size sim card or a micro size for this phone?

normal size sim

I wish Google was friends with Amazon to ship free and no tax. Still ordered this one, best deal for unlocked high-end smartphone for T-Mobile Value plan.

Not everyone like iPhone than android phones i think.

figgo said:   Not everyone like iPhone than android phones i think.
That's deep man. Wait, what?

zulu2003 said:   I wish Google was friends with Amazon to ship free and no tax. Still ordered this one, best deal for unlocked high-end smartphone for T-Mobile Value plan.

Google, what is taking you sooooo long to ship one product? Why does it take you 2 days to process?!? What are you processing for 2 days?!? 2 business days. You have ONE product that you are selling, ship it the same day! Give me tracking, show me the phone tracking on Google Map, alert me when it gets delivered. I expect something innovative from you not the worst online purchase experience. I get better service from eBay sellers!

Venting done. I feel better now. Still angry I don't have the phone in my hands, they better improve this.

Google, what is taking you sooooo long to ship one product?

They must have short supply. Mine shipped in a few hours and got it the second day.

How much money do you save each month over 2 years of not being on contract if you have comparable plans? Anyone have a case example?

Hurrikane said:   How much money do you save each month over 2 years of not being on contract if you have comparable plans? Anyone have a case example?
Sprint $89.99 x 24 = $2,160
Boost Mobile: $50 x 24 = $1,200

Hurrikane said:   How much money do you save each month over 2 years of not being on contract if you have comparable plans? Anyone have a case example?

Others have mentioned using a low cost carrier, Here is some info comparing T-Mobile options.

Right now T-Mobile has the Classic Unlimited plan--Unlimited Talk, Text and Data (only the
first 5GB at 4G speeds) for $95 a month plus tax. Tax for me would be about $20 more a month.

The same plan on from T-Mobile prepaid is $70 a month. You can buy refills from T-Mobile, or
you can use a place like callingmart.com that usually has a 5% discount code available.

So going with T-Mobile prepaid would save at least $600 over a two year contract, before
you consider the cost of the phone, if you compare these two options.

A Samsung Galaxy S II with a 2 year contract is $229 plus tax from T-Mobile, though you might
be able to find a better deal by shopping around. So if you want to go with T-Mobile post paid,
you can get a better phone with the Galaxy Nexus for only $170 more, plus tax. T-Mobile offers
a statement credit for people who sign a two year contract without getting a subsidized phone.
When my brother bought a Nexus One two years ago, he was out of contract, and T-Mobile offered
him $100 or $150 to sign a two year contract extension.

For new T-Mobile activations at WalMart or through T-Mobile.com you can get a prepaid plan
with 100 minutes plus 5GB of data for $30 a month. This is an attractive plan for many who
don't need a lot of minutes, or talk using IP calling rather than cell minutes.

Upvoted both, ty for the helpful responses.

In my case last time I calculated it it was in the range of $40/month. This is for a family plan with 3 phones, two of them with data plans, 1000 shared minutes, unlimited text. This is $40 less compared with the 'normal' subsidized T-Mobile plans. It is much higher if you compare it with other providers.

Only thing that sucks is lack of an SD slot. 16GB isn't much these days. A very curious omission when almost all Android handsets feature one.

cpabster said:   Only thing that sucks is lack of an SD slot. 16GB isn't much these days. A very curious omission when almost all Android handsets feature one.
HTC One X/S doesnt. (Sprint flavor does, other versions dont)

ETA: I think it isnt as necessary as people think. There's google music for your music, dropbox/box.net for other files, and 16 GB isnt that small when you think about it.

KayK said:   

I realize there are a few exceptions, but 95% do. Like I said, a very curious omission for a "high-end" phone.

This deal just got better taking into consideration how crappy Samsung Galaxy S III is..

cpabster said:   KayK said:   

I realize there are a few exceptions, but 95% do. Like I said, a very curious omission for a "high-end" phone.

I think there are two reasons. 1. Form factor, trying to get these devices as slim and "sleek" as possible. 2. Carriers want you to use data, so they can bill you more. What are you storing on your phone? Music? Amazon cloud and google music have you covered. Drop box and google drive you can access any file. Pron? Web browser.

I thought the same thing you did. 16gb is not enough. I changed habits with my music, and haven't come close to filling up my 16gb. Of course, I also went over my 5gb cap the day before month end last cycle.

KayK said:   This deal just got better taking into consideration how crappy Samsung Galaxy S III is..

What are you talking about.

I saw the live launch event today, the phone looks promising. have all the nexus features + better camera and storage and screen.
There are few more differences as well.

but its way better than nexus.

byteless said:   KayK said:   This deal just got better taking into consideration how crappy Samsung Galaxy S III is..

What are you talking about.

I saw the live launch event today, the phone looks promising. have all the nexus features + better camera and storage and screen.
There are few more differences as well.

That phone does look sweet. SD card, Bigger battery & quad core CPU is supposed to use less energy than the prior dual cores. Plus huge screen. I'm waiting to see what price and battery life is on the S3. I do like that it has a replaceable battery too.

Galaxy S3 resolution is the same as the Nexus but with bigger screen, so the Nexus still have higher density of the pixels. Not sure if quad core is actually going to save power, if anything it will use more, but let the review folks figure that out. At any rate, the S3 will probably go for $600+ minimum so if you don't mind the premium for the latest and greatest i guess you wait. for now the nexus will suffice me since I just smashed the dang Galaxy S that kept got hung on me. It just arrived last night and I didn't even have to set up anything. apparently google must have stored my wifi setting in its cloud from my previous galaxy s since it connected to my wifi without my setting it up and all. holy cow

after seeing SGSIII unveiled, I went and ordered me the Nexus. Currently using HTC TP2 on Tmobile. besides, I want to be able to keep my Total Internet plan, 20bux and can go over 10gigs.
I will surely miss the text sync through exchange on this WinMo phone.

SteelRing said:   Galaxy S3 resolution is the same as the Nexus but with bigger screen, so the Nexus still have higher density of the pixels. Not sure if quad core is actually going to save power, if anything it will use more, but let the review folks figure that out.

Don't know what chip they use in the S3

But the Tegra 3 quad core uses less energy than the Tegra 2 dual core. They use a SoC ( System on a chip ) to manage from 1 super efficient low mhz CPU for low demand tasks and selective use of Quad CPU's when extra power is needed. The Silicon in the quad cores is different than the 5th companion core to maximize power efficiency for task demand.

End result = more cores & less power.

Just got my Nexus and put it on the $30/month T-Mobile plan. This thing rocks! Also, got the wife one for use on Straight Talk's $45 unlimited plan, but still waiting for her sim card to come in.

BenJohnson said:   SteelRing said:   Galaxy S3 resolution is the same as the Nexus but with bigger screen, so the Nexus still have higher density of the pixels. Not sure if quad core is actually going to save power, if anything it will use more, but let the review folks figure that out.

But the Tegra 3 quad core uses less energy than the Tegra 2 dual core. They use a SoC ( System on a chip ) to manage from 1 super efficient low mhz CPU for low demand tasks and selective use of Quad CPU's when extra power is needed. The Silicon in the quad cores is different than the 5th companion core to maximize power efficiency for task demand.

Power usage on the qualcomm dual core s4 is comparable to the tegra 3 quad core. Plus, there is no guarantee that the exynos quad core chip in the s3 will be compatible with LTE (reason why the tegra 3 quad core chip is not sold by US carriers). In that case, they will likely release the device in the US with dual core chips that are compatible to LTE similar to how they released the HTC one series.

The reviewers are saying that the galaxy s3 phone is pretty much on par with the HTC one series with the exception of the pentile display. The phone off contract will likely cost 650+ dollars. so, compared to this deal, you'll have to make the judgement call to determine if a much improved camera, microsd slot, slightly improved processor is worth the extra $300. The nexus is almost guaranteed to get jellybean way ahead of the s3. Plus, touchwhiz ics in my opinion is terrible compared to the vanilla version on the galaxy nexus.

wethead said:   BenJohnson said:   SteelRing said:   Galaxy S3 resolution is the same as the Nexus but with bigger screen, so the Nexus still have higher density of the pixels. Not sure if quad core is actually going to save power, if anything it will use more, but let the review folks figure that out.

Power usage on the qualcomm dual core s4 is comparable to the tegra 3 quad core. Plus, there is no guarantee that the exynos quad core chip in the s3 will be compatible with LTE (reason why the tegra 3 quad core chip is not sold by US carriers). In that case, they will likely release the device in the US with dual core chips that are compatible to LTE similar to how they released the HTC one series.

The reviewers are saying that the galaxy s3 phone is pretty much on par with the HTC one series with the exception of the pentile display. The phone off contract will likely cost 650+ dollars. so, compared to this deal, you'll have to make the judgement call to determine if a much improved camera, microsd slot, slightly improved processor is worth the extra $300. The nexus is almost guaranteed to get jellybean way ahead of the s3. Plus, touchwhiz ics in my opinion is terrible compared to the vanilla version on the galaxy nexus.

This article seems to agree with you:

Nexus / S3

Is there any evidence that this has sent the used/refurb market down for this phone?

Finally got the Nexus in my hands. I am annoyed by the Google search bar taking so mush estate in 4.x but other than that I'm ordering one more to replace mine too. This will replace an iPhone and HTC G2, kids will stay on Samsung Exhibit II.

It's fast, light, large screen and all apps that I use every day on the G2 look much better on Nexus. I tried some launchers and they were all crashing after a while, so for now I am not going to mess around with fine tuning every pixel of my homescreens. I like it that I can now create folders, but I already had my folders organized with Folders Organizer app. I like to setup widgets that dynamically get icons based on my tags. I finally turned on a live wallpaper to test the CPU while using apps, and I cannot notice any additional delays so I'll keep them. I would notice it on the G2. Next stress test will be to use GPS, turn on hotspot for kids in the back, play Pandora while I'm driving, but I am confident this thing will run them without a hitch.

Only if the S3 would have matched the price for unlocked I would have waited. They didn't announce prices + I need new phones = two Nexus sold.

zulu2003 said:   Finally got the Nexus in my hands. I am annoyed by the Google search bar taking so mush estate in 4.x but other than that I'm ordering one more to replace mine too. This will replace an iPhone and HTC G2, kids will stay on Samsung Exhibit II.

It's fast, light, large screen and all apps that I use every day on the G2 look much better on Nexus. I tried some launchers and they were all crashing after a while, so for now I am not going to mess around with fine tuning every pixel of my homescreens. I like it that I can now create folders, but I already had my folders organized with Folders Organizer app. I like to setup widgets that dynamically get icons based on my tags. I finally turned on a live wallpaper to test the CPU while using apps, and I cannot notice any additional delays so I'll keep them. I would notice it on the G2. Next stress test will be to use GPS, turn on hotspot for kids in the back, play Pandora while I'm driving, but I am confident this thing will run them without a hitch.

Only if the S3 would have matched the price for unlocked I would have waited. They didn't announce prices + I need new phones = two Nexus sold.

Root it, and then you can remove it (search bar that is)

got a couple, I'm a phone guru so trust me when I say this is a good phone

Root it, and then you can remove it (search bar that is

You lose your warranty by rooting. So think about it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014