• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Effective April 25th through May 8th, T-Mobile will give customers a guaranteed trade-in value of $50–$200 when they exchange their old working handset for a new, 4G smartphone.

New customers will be eligible for this deal when they trade in their old smartphone and sign up for a qualifying T-Mobile Classic or Value plan with a two-year agreement. Existing customers also can take advantage of this offer if they are eligible for an early upgrade, meaning 18 months or more on their current contract.

The following is a list of the guaranteed trade-in value T-Mobile will offer for old devices:

iPhone (iOS) $200.00
Android, Blackberry, Windows, Symbian 9.0+ OS $100.00
Any Other Phone $50.00

It is timed with the release of the HTC One S on T-Mobile.

More info at tmonews.

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile coupons that earn Up to $60.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

trade in your old smartphone for any 4G smartphone
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

One of the bullet points says "Minimum 2GB data feature required."

Can data be added to a plan and then removed without being considered as a plan change (e.g. contract extension)? AFAIK changing minutes would extend a contract.

vgachi57 said:   One of the bullet points says "Minimum 2GB data feature required."

Can data be added to a plan and then removed without being considered as a plan change (e.g. contract extension)? AFAIK changing minutes would extend a contract.


No. Unfortunately...

It doesn't consider my TMo HTC Dash as a smart phone?!? I'm hurt!

TMO finds any reason not to do promised deals, though I admit I have gotten a few on prepaid accounts. I tried to get the Amaze offer around 9:00 pm on last day. Website was hosed, customer service was useless, but one rep said he would make a note in my account so they would give me the offer the next day. Despite transcript of other chat session and seeing their rep's notes in my account (Michael around 2115 Sunday night), they would do nothing. Last time we got a phone, ended up with Radio Shack and TMO District Managers fixing it. Why should I have to go through such hoops to get what is advertised> To me, this time, after three NOs, it just was not worth the hassle. No wonder they keep losing distributors and are going down the tubes. Service is not all that good either with our first foray into smartphones. Not totally disappointed, but service in San Diego for me on Internet is quite spotty despite their changing out a SIM card and saying that was the problem. Salesman at local store told me on Sunday to get the Amaze instead of the new One-s for NUMEROUS reasons, but they refused to honor it despite website offering bogus plans to me hours before the end of the sale. I will not bother you with transcript of chat, but I was clear that I wanted to take advantage of the sale, nobody at their CUSTSERV numbers could help me, and all I got was apologies for nobody being trained, available or able to complete my purchase. How can you run a company when nobody is there to make the sale? I was finally going to just get an iPhone from Sprint, but the screen is just a bit too small for my eyes. Like I always say though, most cell phone providers are OK until something goes wrong, then they are all bad, though I have not yet tried Verizon. Been screwed so far by Sprint, AT&T, TMOBILE, and a couple of the prepaid ones like Tracfone and Virgin, though Virgin fixed their problem after complaining that my new number was two area codes away and everybody would have to make toll calls to reach me. Never figures out how any of these guys compete in the market place. I was going to get the ONE-S, but no external mem slot, battery sealed in, and one or two non-starters made me consider the Amaze. Maybe I will change my mind this weekend, but free v. $200-250 on very similar phones is quite a difference. I just have to once again say Shame on TMO for screwing a long-term customer again.

I doubt this post will last, but it all the truth.

is it in-store promo?

Their spokeswoman is hot in pink and black

cogitovici said:   ....Been screwed so far by Sprint, AT&T, TMOBILE, and a couple of the prepaid ones like Tracfone and Virgin....

Maybe the problem isn't the mobile carrier...


Otherwise, seems like a decent deal. Old enough BBs are cheap (or throw-aways). Not surprized they put a premium on the iPhone by itself since it's the one phone they DON'T have.

Wonder if term fee > new phone value + trade in rebate - trade in value...maybe money to be made?

I have piles of old phones, tempted to trade one in and get a new toy.

rootbeer13 said:   vgachi57 said:   One of the bullet points says "Minimum 2GB data feature required."

Can data be added to a plan and then removed without being considered as a plan change (e.g. contract extension)? AFAIK changing minutes would extend a contract.


No. Unfortunately...


Can I at least change it to the $10 200M data?

Decent deal for an old blackberry or something. But make sure you check to see if you can sell your current phone on eBay for more.

OP here. Personally, I just renewed my contract with a grandfathered plan and Corp discount through retention. I was able to get 3 phones, all HTC One S for a total of $200. They basically offered the phones for $199 each with no rebates, then offered initially a $250 total discount which I was able to get them to add another $150 discount. So it's $600 for the 3 phones - $400 credit. The credit shows up already on my account.

I thought about waiting for the S3 but I liked the One S in stores.

Now I am thinking of using the trade-in offer to send a couple of old phones. I am not sure if I am still eligible or not.

AlexTheMan said:   OP here. Personally, I just renewed my contract with a grandfathered plan and Corp discount through retention. I was able to get 3 phones, all HTC One S for a total of $200. They basically offered the phones for $199 each with no rebates, then offered initially a $250 total discount which I was able to get them to add another $150 discount. So it's $600 for the 3 phones - $400 credit. The credit shows up already on my account.

I thought about waiting for the S3 but I liked the One S in stores.

Now I am thinking of using the trade-in offer to send a couple of old phones. I am not sure if I am still eligible or not.
O

So good for ya and thanks for the post. What phones did you trade in to get three HTC One S for $200? Were the trade-ins why you got so much credit ($400)? What kind of plan did you have to sign up for or extend.... classic plan? with what features and data?. Just trying to get an idea what it took.

I called customer service and requested to maintain my grandfathered plan letting me to continue with my $10/200MB plan and $59.99/1000 minutes. I got two S1's for a total $149.99 after $250 credit and this does not include any trade-in.So if I sell my two 3G phones (optimus T and Defy) and hope to get $100 for both the phones, I basically got two One S for $50. I think that is a very good deal. They did charge me for activation of $35/phone.

And Thanks OP for letting me know that customer service was ready to negotiate with discounts on this phone.

bamadad said:   AlexTheMan said:   OP here. Personally, I just renewed my contract with a grandfathered plan and Corp discount through retention. I was able to get 3 phones, all HTC One S for a total of $200. They basically offered the phones for $199 each with no rebates, then offered initially a $250 total discount which I was able to get them to add another $150 discount. So it's $600 for the 3 phones - $400 credit. The credit shows up already on my account.

I thought about waiting for the S3 but I liked the One S in stores.

Now I am thinking of using the trade-in offer to send a couple of old phones. I am not sure if I am still eligible or not.
O

So good for ya and thanks for the post. What phones did you trade in to get three HTC One S for $200? Were the trade-ins why you got so much credit ($400)? What kind of plan did you have to sign up for or extend.... classic plan? with what features and data?. Just trying to get an idea what it took.


The price I mentioned ($200 for 3 phones) is before any trade in. I had the android preferred data plan (5gb for $20) on 1 line and I added the same data plan for the other 2 lines. I have an old 1000 minutes family plan with the $9.99 family meassaging plan.

This is confusing, the term says eligible smartphones are iPhone, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Symbian 9.0+, and Android devices only. But the online quote shows $50 for any non-smartphone. So can I trade in my dumb phone for $50 or not?

It appears any "dumb" phone can be traded for $50, I found a old razr V3 from ~2003 and they accepted it for $50. I am told that as long as the phone shows no physical damage (busted screens, broken hinges, missing keys, etc) or water damage (it turns on) they will accept it.

Has anyone that traded in their phone actually receive their credit yet? I've been tracking it this time - took them 4-6 weeks to "acknowledge" receiving the phone, confirmed to be a valid claim in about 2 weeks and will take another 6-8 weeks to get the actual $100. These guys are ridiculously slow.

This "trade in" program is a total RIP OFF SCAM!! I have yet again been screwed and T-Mobile denys responsibility!!

Here is the message I found online after 16 weeks:

Your Trade-In has been received on 06-01-2012 and inspected on 06-01-2012. Your phone has : Passed power up tests, does has screen damage, does has liquid damage, does has hinge damage, proof of purchase was missing. . Your total credit will be $0.00.

NICE GRAMMER HUH!!! I CUT & PASTED IT...SUCH A JOKE!!

THE PROBLEM IS - THIS PHONE WAS IMMACULATE & HAS NO HINGE OF ANY KIND. IT WAS A BACKUP PHONE THAT HAS ONLY BEEN USED TWICE TO MAKE CALLS. THE REST OF THE TIME IT WAS IN MY DESK DRAWER. I HAVE PICS TAKEN THE DAY IT WAS SENT IN - IT WAS PERFECT!

Hope

received email last month like "Trade-In has been received and phone inspection successfully done and you will receive the check in 2-4 weeks". last week received another email like "Trade-In failed because no data plan in the plan". i traded in after added a line to my existing family plan and took 2GB unlimited dataplan. i called T-Mobile as they mentioned in the email and they don't have any clue about trade in. they asked me to reply for the email and waiting for their reply for over a week now

I finally got my $100 rebate last week. I had actually already canceled the line that I traded in my phone for (this was after the trade in was confirmed and they said I would get the rebate in 6-8 weeks).

I'm not convinced these guys are very honest - I decided not to take any chances and mailed the phone in myself with delivery confirmation so I have proof they received it in addition to pictures/video of the phone's condition before I sent it to them.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014