• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

whichvoip.png
Disclaimer
VoIP Telephone service deal from Phone Power ending in six days $4.99+tax per month - two year contract ($119.76+tax)
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/user_reviews/phonepower-voip-revie...
http://www.phonepower.com/bestdeal.aspx

Pros.

1. Cheap international rates 1.9/minute for India, and 4.6 for Kuwait (better deal than calling cards
  2. Very reliable service (no negative review except from people canceling their contract in the middle)
  3. Amazing support (US based?)
  4. Number porting was smooth (can make calls before porting date)
  5. 3 lines (two from the voip box and other from USB travel adapter)
  6. Lot of accessories (USB extension and portable headset)
  7. VoiceMail Viewer (view/listen voicemail online)

Cons.

1. Monthly rate at the end of contract - no automatic renewal - need notify them
  2. Tax for second year $40 (?!%)
  3. May lose phone number, if they go bankrupt (and the remaining months paid)
  4. Dial tone different from landline (noisy?) But voice quality great
  5. Need to return the device, if canceling (weird as we bought device from Amazon

I originally signed-up for $6.99 per month (still under 2year contract). We have been using their service for about five months now. no issues until yesterday. even the website was hacked with DOS for about 6 hours BTW this is still a winning deal for me. we make lot of India calls and my peak usage was 400 minutes (~$8) so I compared this with my old $25+tax deal and switched (I think I'm already breakeven i.e. rest of months are free). Also Kuwait rate was a major deciding factor for me (used pay 14 per minute) we don't need two lines but its free (can make outgoing calls when other line in use) Tried the USB adapter while traveling to other city works neat (like as though I'm home). Number porting was very smooth (can make calls before porting date) But it switched back and forth with the other carrier few times on that day (I had to connect another old phone for couple of days to other carrier just in case) Lot of the questions are answers in there website FAQ. But I think it require little bit of skill (something similar to setting up a wireless router etc)

Currently they are running some online deal for 6+ days (not sure if this repeats).

Member Summary

VOIP
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I have been using MagicJack for the last 3 years and it works fine. However, MJ has started blocking certain phone servi... (more)

StapledPants (May. 05, 2012 @ 11:51a) |

Can u please any of u the cheap international calling with the good quality. I m using IndiaLD , earlier the quality was... (more)

bulbul12 (Jun. 21, 2012 @ 11:41a) |

Yes, It provides best deal to their customers. First of all it is reliable, You can trust on it and it provides very che... (more)

smithsinha (Aug. 06, 2012 @ 2:11a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

i signed up half year ago for regular price of $8.88 a month for 2 years~~ do u know if i can get on this deal?

So far I haven't had a problem with switching over from land line. The sound quality is just as good~~~ one thing i have to say is that if there's ever a power outage, the phone would be out as well, unlike the land lines. I live in LA and last September there was this heavy Santa Ana wind that took out the power in many places around LA including mine...and i couldn't use the phone for a week.

How to get this deal? I see minimum 14 bucks.

Cheapest VOIP? Hmm, maybe...in a world where Ooma doesn't exist.

Voip.ms + Google Voice = Free VOIP..

or

If you have a wife like mine, you spend $3/month and get E911 service...

Hey Bizatch, do you need any device for having "Voip.ms + Google Voice = Free VOIP"
If yes, how much will that cost. I am looking for a kinda free VOIP service to make free local calls at home ( using WIFI). I already have a VTECH handset at home.

I have a Linksys PAP2 adapter (old SunRocket adapter) that I use. If you don't have an adapter, I would get the Obi100 from Amazon for around $40..

If you want to use a computer, use a softphone like, Counterpath's X-Lite..

My setup is: Account with Voip.ms so I can get E911 service ($3/month). Then I can place and receive calls via Google Voice for free.. With the Obi100, you can have the same setup.

Edit: Looks like you can get a PAP2 for $26 shipped on eBay, or Best Offer..

Bizatch, do you know to get info on setting up the old sunrocket adapter to work with this? Much appreciated.

Thanks

I suppose it's not the same category or something, but I think NetTalk is cheaper, and no contract....

Callcentric.com if you don't mind a little DIY work.

nguyenht said:   Bizatch, do you know to get info on setting up the old sunrocket adapter to work with this?

YouTube video showing how to unlock Sunrocket PAP2 adapter.

I need a cheap phone service that allows me to block numbers I dont want calling.
Does this setup block certain numbers?
I have Vonage now but cant block numbers like Sunrocket did

Never used Sunrocket, so I can't compare.

Phone power do have call block upto 50 numbers and another 50 for redirect, busy signal etc. I just tried using my mobile it works fine. (they have 30 day satisfaction guarantee) BTW if you are seriously thinking about signing get a referral from an existing customer (both get $10 each)

I give this company 6 days before voluntary bankrupty.

ritsa said:   How to get this deal? I see minimum 14 bucks.
You can copy and past one of the link below on your browser:
http://www.phonepower.com/bestdeal.aspx
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/user_reviews/phonepower-voip-review.php
Or call them and mention $4.99 per month deal:
(888) 607-6937
(818) 264-4400

TellyTubby said:   I give this company 6 days before voluntary bankrupty.
That would be 5 months and 6 days for me and I'm already on my free months
Sorry about funny comment. But I gambled and to my surprise WON too

msenthil said:   
  • Cheap international rates 1.9/minute for India, and 4.6 for Kuwait (better deal than calling cards
    Have you heard or used Betamax Services? I use ActionVoip to call around the world. These rates are expensive compared to ActionVoip. I can use ActionVoip from my mobile so no need to get a VoIP landline.
    msenthil said:   
  • Amazing support (US based?)

You must be joking. Although we want to get more and more folks on job here, US customer support is not at all good. Too many bad/arrogant experiences.
msenthil said:   
Cons.

1. Monthly rate at the end of contract - no automatic renewal - need notify them
  2. Tax for second year $40 (?!%)
  3. May lose phone number, if they go bankrupt (and the remaining months paid)
  4. Dial tone different from landline (noisy?) But voice quality great
  5. Need to return the device, if canceling (weird as we bought device from Amazon

Majority are deal breaker for me.

I wonder how many folks go for it. I have a triple combo from my ISP and can't really get out of it otherwise it will shoot internet cost but if anyone doesn't have this issue then I would rather go for Ooma. Its high upfront cost but will pay for long time.

I have been using magicjack and have been happy with it. Initial cost was about $80 for the hardware plus another 30 to port my number to it, then $100 dollars for 5 years.

Port your number to Google Voice and you can block anyone..

Obitalk box so much easier and Google Voice is free until the end of year.

tooloud said:   Cheapest VOIP? Hmm, maybe...in a world where Ooma doesn't exist.

Try comparing features, upfront investment - Ooma is MORE expensive for EQUIVALENT level of service - INCLUDE TAXES. Unlike Ooma, PP PROVIDES their adapter for FREE, will offer a FREE replacement when it goes bad; Ooma requires you to purchase a new one, at full price, lose any grandfathered introductory offers.

Phone Power
is owned by the same people who run DSL Extreme - excellent service, quality, support. We have had PP for several years now, were able to negotiate an additional 2 years of the intro rate by threatening to quit at the end of teh second year.

I've been using PhonePower
for many years and the service and customer support has been unbeatable. Check out reviews on any site (dslreports) and you'll see this isn't a fly by night company.

I am using an obi110 and google voice at home. Roughly $45 startup fee but $0/month. But to be honest we don't ever use that phone since my wife and I have Straight Talk unlimited.

dssl said:   I have been using magicjack and have been happy with it. Initial cost was about $80 for the hardware plus another 30 to port my number to it, then $100 dollars for 5 years.

I have been using MagicJack for the last 3 years and it works fine. However, MJ has started blocking certain phone service numbers like Pingo that I regularly use to make international calls. MagicJack lowered their international calling price recently and they started blocking Pingo within a week of that event. I have tried talking to their technical support but as usual I get the scripted run around. I am glad that I did not pay $100 for that service and I will not buy MJ Plus now that I know they will, at will, block numbers of their competitors.

of course, I have my way around through Google Voice but I don't understand why making a simple phone call should be that cumbersome.

Can u please any of u the cheap international calling with the good quality. I m using IndiaLD , earlier the quality was really good but now its horrible , lot of disturbances, echo sound etc. I use ooma, they charge $ 9.99 for 1000 mnts but do they charge taxes on it? what abt the call quality? Can anyone suggest me good international plan? Thank you !

Yes, It provides best deal to their customers. First of all it is reliable, You can trust on it and it provides very cheap calling facility to their customers

http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/0800-freephone-numbers.php/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014