• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Straight Talk to Allow Any GSM Phone on the $45 Unlimited Plan
You need to buy their $15 sim though probably starting Feb 7.

Previously, you had to buy a Nokia smartphone, do a sim swap, keep the Nokia, and not tell Straight Talk. Now, you do not need to do that anymore. Plus, the Nokia only worked on AT&T towers. Looks like Straight Talk will have a sim for AT&T and one for T-Mobile. What sim they give you is probably based on the coverage in your area.

http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php

Updated: Now that it is passed Feb 7, we know that you select the sim: an At&t, T-Mobile, or Unlocked. Blackberry, or branded TracFone, SafeLink, Net10 or Straight Talk phones are not supported. Hence, your At&t or T-Mobile phone does not have to be unlocked.

When people did the sim swap previously, they tried to stay within 100mb per day and 2gb for the month. Some people have said that they have used more than that amount without issue. Whether this amount changes because there will now officially have more data intensive phones on the network remains to be seen. None of the mvno's are truly unlimited anyway and put such terms in their agreement because they do not want abusers.

Straight Talk and Net10 are owned by América Móvil. Straight Talk is for WalMart. Net10 is for other retailers. Do you get anything more by paying $5 more to Net10 for their $50 unlimited plan? Most likely not. WalMart itself does not sell the sim. You must purchase this online.

As far a roaming goes, there was limited roaming using the sim swap. I expect this to be the same but will wait for reports.

If you have an At&t phone and get a sim, then it seems like it is the same speed as the sim swap. Not sure what happens with a T-Mobile sim yet, because most T-Mobile phones do not support 850 and 1900 bands in 3g.

Note that the sim only works with the $45 Unlimited Plan. You cannot use the sim + your own gsm phone on any of Straight Talk's other plans. For the other plans, you need to purchase a Straight Talk phone.

Looks like T-Mobile phones will get 3g with this plan after all. It might be that the 850 and 1900 reference is directed at unlocked phones owners as Straight Talk might be sending those people the sim for At&t phones.

Straight Talk
See Straight Talk discounts that earn Up to 13.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Logo (2.46kB)
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If you plan on ordering a $45 phone card you can get a free refurbished phone on their site with free shipping with FatW... (more)

anti (Nov. 06, 2012 @ 5:56a) |

Can get this with tthe $30 plan too. I'm about to start my 2nd month with ST and my free Samsung t-401G phone. For their... (more)

panthers65 (Nov. 06, 2012 @ 7:32a) |

wm dot com has "some" refurbised phones with a free $30 or $45 refill card

yesidonoitall (Nov. 06, 2012 @ 8:41a) |

You can do this with either Straight Talk or Net 10, the SIM`s are the same, the Unlimited plans are almost equivalent. As not to run into a high speed data frequency mis match you should order either AT&T or T-Mobile SIM`s to match what your phone was originally made for. Do not order the unlocked SIM, they will decide which provider SIM to send you, and it may not be the best or correct choice. Unlocking your phone does not add missing frequencies to it. Your phone will immediately have talk and SMS text. Data and MMS text take internal changes to the phone, but instructions are given.

Uhhh.... like 3 months ago dude. Get with the program

zachman16 said:   Uhhh.... like 3 months ago dude. Get with the program

Nonsense....
Green for the op...

yesidonoitall said:   zachman16 said:   Uhhh.... like 3 months ago dude. Get with the program

Nonsense....
Green for the op...

Now off for more id's to get the op back to green.

zachman16 said:   Uhhh.... like 3 months ago dude. Get with the program

Many users will see this post.
Many will not have seen the previous.
Anything on something reposted is advantageous.

Please do not repost.

garyswalt said:   Please do not repost.

Did you not read what I posted....

To wit:

With any plan use Wi-Fi feature when in Wi-Fi zone to save your DATA. If not the cellular providers will began to slow down your speed. Be smart use Wi-Fi when available. EX: When downloading apps, sending pics, surfing the web. This will allow cellular providers to keep the cost LOW for everyone.
Being selfish only hurts all consumers not just you. USE WI-FI WHEN YOU CAN PLEASE WHETHER PREPAID OR NOT!

At&t currently has a couple of refurb GoPhone deals. You can get a decent android phone, at a reasonable price, to use with Straight Talk.

The Avail refub for $80. this is the same as the ZTE Merit that Straight Talk sells for $130. Note: The ZTE Merit is only $99 at Family Dollar.

The Fusion for $70

CashBack at Straight Talk is currently 12.5%

yesidonoitall said:   garyswalt said:   Please do not repost.

To wit:

We have a search button for a reason. Use it.

Been trying to clarify if FW $Cash Back is valid on any service plans?? 1,3,6, or 12 months. No answer from FW on this.. Anyone have knowledge?

poison7FL said:   yesidonoitall said:   garyswalt said:   Please do not repost.

To wit:

We have a search button for a reason. Use it.

No, a second post is perfect, many post in different ways with diff wording, can't find all with search,
nor should one have to use all that time it takes.

Unlimited data my ass!

av911 said:   Unlimited data my ass!

NO, the data is unlimited...unless you actually use it, then we cut you off. The contract forbids streaming, tethering, etc, so technically its unlimited for the narrow uses they approve. There are liars, damm liars, and then marketers.

Most WM stores sell

US Cellualer's new prepaid
uprepaid dot com

They have a $40 a month unlimited
and if an android phone $50 a month.
I wonder if those are data limited?

No, FW Cash Back is not valid on any cards/refills. Here is the information regarding Straight Talk's 12.5% Cash Back:

Restrictions for Use

Cash Back not available on the purchase or renewal of minutes.

rapp said:   Straight Talk to Allow Any GSM Phone on the $45 Unlimited Plan
You need to buy their $15 sim though probably starting Feb 7.

Previously, you had to buy a Nokia smartphone, do a sim swap, keep the Nokia, and not tell Straight Talk. Now, you do not need to do that anymore. Plus, the Nokia only worked on AT&T towers. Looks like Straight Talk will have a sim for AT&T and one for T-Mobile. What sim they give you is probably based on the coverage in your area.

http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php

Updated: Now that it is passed Feb 7, we know that you select the sim: an At&t, T-Mobile, or Unlocked. Blackberry, or branded TracFone, SafeLink, Net10 or Straight Talk phones are not supported. Hence, your At&t or T-Mobile phone does not have to be unlocked.

When people did the sim swap previously, they tried to stay within 100mb per day and 2gb for the month. Some people have said that they have used more than that amount without issue. Whether this amount changes because there will now officially have more data intensive phones on the network remains to be seen. None of the mvno's are truly unlimited anyway and put such terms in their agreement because they do not want abusers.

Straight Talk and Net10 are owned by América Móvil. Straight Talk is for WalMart. Net10 is for other retailers. Do you get anything more by paying $5 more to Net10 for their $50 unlimited plan? Most likely not. WalMart itself does not sell the sim. You must purchase this online.

As far a roaming goes, there was limited roaming using the sim swap. I expect this to be the same but will wait for reports.

If you have an At&t phone and get a sim, then it seems like it is the same speed as the sim swap. Not sure what happens with a T-Mobile sim yet, because most T-Mobile phones do not support 850 and 1900 bands in 3g.

Note that the sim only works with the $45 Unlimited Plan. You cannot use the sim + your own gsm phone on any of Straight Talk's other plans. For the other plans, you need to purchase a Straight Talk phone.

Looks like T-Mobile phones will get 3g with this plan after all. It might be that the 850 and 1900 reference is directed at unlocked phones owners as Straight Talk might be sending those people the sim for At&t phones.

Hi, It is far more better using an internationally unlocked phone, because when the unlimited plan gets expired, we can not use the phone anymore. Am I right? please extend your views

I see at Best Buy they are now selling the Net10 sim for BYOD, $15.00

I hope you can do the activate/port online for the Net10 SIM like you can for StraightTalk. Net10 has to have the most unbearable telephone customer service, and were so limited in doing anything for yourself online, everything required talking to a live person on the phone, and it would actually take hours to do something simple like port your old number over. My last experience with getting a number ported to Net10 just turned me off for good.

They are not rude or anything, you are just kept on the phone while they clack away on their keyboards for a very , very long time, and not guaranteed anything will actually be working after your hour+ wait. Oh and after something is still not working, it always involved having to have a new SIM sent so wait a few more days and go through it all again.

Too bad the 12.5% CashBack doesn't apply to paying for plan!

You can get their SIM cards now for only $5 (and free shipping) with coupon SIMSAVE, ends 09/30. I've been considering switching my family's 3 iPhones to ST for awhile, am buying the SIM cards now with that discount.

Yo Ma-Ma said:   I hope you can do the activate/port online for the Net10 SIM like you can for StraightTalk. Net10 has to have the most unbearable telephone customer service, and were so limited in doing anything for yourself online, everything required talking to a live person on the phone, and it would actually take hours to do something simple like port your old number over. My last experience with getting a number ported to Net10 just turned me off for good.

They are not rude or anything, you are just kept on the phone while they clack away on their keyboards for a very , very long time, and not guaranteed anything will actually be working after your hour+ wait. Oh and after something is still not working, it always involved having to have a new SIM sent so wait a few more days and go through it all again.

Same company

poison7FL said:   Yo Ma-Ma said:   I hope you can do the activate/port online for the Net10 SIM like you can for StraightTalk. Net10 has to have the most unbearable telephone customer service, and were so limited in doing anything for yourself online, everything required talking to a live person on the phone, and it would actually take hours to do something simple like port your old number over. My last experience with getting a number ported to Net10 just turned me off for good.

Same company

Don't forget the parent company, Tracfone.

yesidonoita16704 said: poison7FL said:   Yo Ma-Ma said:   I hope you can do the activate/port online for the Net10 SIM like you can for StraightTalk. Net10 has to have the most unbearable telephone customer service, and were so limited in doing anything for yourself online, everything required talking to a live person on the phone, and it would actually take hours to do something simple like port your old number over. My last experience with getting a number ported to Net10 just turned me off for good.

Same company

Don't forget the parent company, Tracfone.

Actually, the parent company is American Movil, owned by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim.

If you don't buy one of the phones that is built for Straight Talk, is the phone not as functional? Ie. does it not pick up the roaming part of the network when direct Verizon customers normally would?

Also, I called Best Buy and the rep told me that Net10 is only using part of the Verizon network.

Bottom line: what amount of difference, if any, would a user of Straight Talk service have versus a Verizon customer, assuming that the Straight Talk customer is on a Verizon phone (Using Straigh Talk's Verizon service)?

Silverthunder said:   If you don't buy one of the phones that is built for Straight Talk, is the phone not as functional? Ie. does it not pick up the roaming part of the network when direct Verizon customers normally would?

Also, I called Best Buy and the rep told me that Net10 is only using part of the Verizon network.

Bottom line: what amount of difference, if any, would a user of Straight Talk service have versus a Verizon customer, assuming that the Straight Talk customer is on a Verizon phone (Using Straigh Talk's Verizon service)?

Afaik BYOD on ST is ONLY for their GSM carrier side. IE TM or ATT service only.

If you plan on ordering a $45 phone card you can get a free refurbished phone on their site with free shipping with FatWallet CashBack.

anti said:   If you plan on ordering a $45 phone card you can get a free refurbished phone on their site with free shipping with FatWallet CashBack.

Can get this with tthe $30 plan too. I'm about to start my 2nd month with ST and my free Samsung t-401G phone. For their free phones, the internet is pretty worthless, but it uses data to download picture messages. I won't come anywhere near the 1000/1000/30 plan.

panthers65 said:   anti said:   If you plan on ordering a $45 phone card you can get a free refurbished phone on their site with free shipping with FatWallet CashBack.

Can get this with tthe $30 plan too. I'm about to start my 2nd month with ST and my free Samsung t-401G phone. For their free phones, the internet is pretty worthless, but it uses data to download picture messages. I won't come anywhere near the 1000/1000/30 plan.

wm dot com has "some" refurbised phones with a free $30 or $45 refill card

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014