• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JJSP5W

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Parachute-Paracord-Military-Specific...

Product Features
Color: Olive Drab
7 Strand Cordura Nylon | 550 Type III Parachute Cord (Paracord)
Strength: 550 lbs
Length: 1000 Feet
MADE IN THE USA! US MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS!

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

1000' Foot OD Olive Drab Green Parachute Cord
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Give it a try this site, www.yorkn.com, they sell paracord ropes and buckles, received goods quite faster..

socalled (May. 26, 2012 @ 10:11p) |

Duct tape and a 8mm camera and we're all set

SUCKISSTAPLES (May. 26, 2012 @ 11:30p) |

Black is $49.99 now shipped w/prime.

Edit: A recent review says "Love It Enterprises" sends the mil-spec with the one col... (more)

diffeldoof (May. 26, 2012 @ 11:43p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

one of these days we need to have a thread about MIL-C-5040H cord and where to buy it. perhaps we could have a group buy or something. i got a spool from horizon and it has been wonderful, but they only had white and OD.

I was under the impression that real MIL-C-5040H has a uniquely colored identifier thread (the color indicates the actual Mil manufacturer in case of failure they know who made it) this cord does not have the identifier thread and therefore is not real Mil Spec., although there are a lot of claims of this. The real stuff is very hard to find at a decent price. But thanks for showing this cord, which is OK for the average use......just not real Mil. spec. if that is what makes one happy/jolly/content.

If you want certified mil-spec 550 get it here. It's about $95 per 1k ft. BTW I'm not saying that this Amazon 550 isn't Mil-spec.

Here's another place with better pricing, but I can't vouch for their products.

FatWalker said:   I was under the impression that real MIL-C-5040H has a uniquely colored identifier thread (the color indicates the actual Mil manufacturer in case of failure they know who made it) this cord does not have the identifier thread and therefore is not real Mil Spec., although there are a lot of claims of this. The real stuff is very hard to find at a decent price. But thanks for showing this cord, which is OK for the average use......just not real Mil. spec. if that is what makes one happy/jolly/content.

your impressions are correct, with one correction. this cord, and every other one that claims to be "mil-spec" really does fulfill the requirements of the specification afaik. but there is better cord, and that is what is sold to the military, the weave of the inside yarns is a tighter and sometimes braided. it is usually 3 yarns as well. there is also the color indicator thread that you were talking about, basically it is more expensive to produce, and so the companies feel that people wouldn't buy it at the higher price. i have bought some from bestglide like maxmojo talked about, and it was a great product, but i don't see anywhere on their site to get longer lengths.

i am curious about this militaryparacord site, it seems to be exactly what i am looking for, i just wish that i knew who their supplier was to make sure that they are legit.

One other point... I have a bit of paracord around all the time, good stuff, not too pricey. BUT - there is better quality utility cord. Lighter, considerably stronger, won't stretch near as much (usually a good trait - but not always) - but more expensive. That would be "amsteel" cordage. In some industrial environments it's being used as a replacement for steel cable - it's that strong. My brother's 4-wheeler crowd is using it on winches. The 1/8" size is rated at 2,300lbs.

thank you maxmojo for the tip, but it seems to be a rope specifically for winching. although i would like that it doesn't stretch, i would be too worried about it not liking abrasion, and being tied in knots, which are 2 things that i need in a rope.

I'll never forget the sound 550 makes when making a turn w/ a MC1-1B.

We went ahead and ordered 1,000 feet from militaryparacord.com, $72 shipped. That's only a few $$ more than the commercial stuff, so why knot? I realize this is a deal thread, and hope that my reckless 3 sheets to the wind spending doesn't cause any discord here, if it does, please don't lash out at me or string me up, just drop me a line to let me know and I'll rope it in next time.

They were out of stock on black, OD green, camo green, so I got red, should do the trick nicely, although it may attract zombies. Not sure of that though. I'll report back with product details after it's delivered.

BTW - if you want to read the actual mil specs, find 'em here. Note that spec 3.9.1 specifically calls for the color coded strands to ID the manufacturer.

Don't want to tie up anymore of your time, so I'll wrap this up now.

what exactly are you people doing with it, that would make it necessary to buy only military quality?

bought some in the past however I never plan to go rock climbing with it or use it to suspend a taxi over my head....

Ooooh, my wife would kill me if I bought that.

In for two, thanks OP.

Despite the Product Description, I really don't recommend using this to hang food from bears. Getting close enough to a bear to hang food from is a bad idea.

Product Description
The product featured here is the 1000 foot spool of black parachute cord, direct from the manufacturer. This is the exact type of cord that is sold to the US Military for non-critical missions, where reliability is a must. The paracord advertised here is not a cheap imitation, it is the real thing! Because individual strands of 550 paracord can be easily removed and combined into your own configurations, this small rope can be put to a wide variety of survival uses. As a general purpose utility cord 550 can be used for: Ridge lines for Tarps Securing Equipment Shoelaces Hanging Food from Bears Vehicle Tie Downs Sewing Fabric Repairing Equipment Making a Fire Bow Fishing Line Paracord String for a Bow Making a Shelter Fish Gill Nets Fishing Line Animal Snares Clothes Lines Paracord Lanyards Anchor Line Binding Twine Animal Restraints Tooth Floss Splints Tourniquet Paracord Braiding Other Paracord Crafts From setting up a tarp to paracord braiding, no survival kit is complete without a long hank of paracord. This strong cordage is the survival experts friend.

taxi hanging by 550 cord
Disclaimer
lordoffire said:   what exactly are you people doing with it, that would make it necessary to buy only military quality?

bought some in the past however I never plan to go rock climbing with it or use it to suspend a taxi over my head....

I'm making plans to hang a taxi over my head.

davidmyles said:   Despite the Product Description, I really don't recommend using this to hang food from bears. Getting close enough to a bear to hang food from is a bad idea.

As a general purpose utility cord 550 can be used for: Ridge lines for Tarps Securing Equipment Shoelaces Hanging Food from Bears...

When camping in many, many areas of wilderness one doesn't have any choice but to be close to bears.

300ft for $15 at Botach.
Link

MaxMojo said:   I'm making plans to hang a taxi over my head.
Dr. Nick is not a very qualified medical professional....

....get a second opinion from Dr. Hibbert

lordoffire said:   what exactly are you people doing with it, that would make it necessary to buy only military quality?

it's higher quality, so you pay more. if we didn't care about quality then we are better off just getting a 5k spool of twine for $10.

i use it for various stuff around the house, and also turk's heads on tools and stuff. if i'm going to spend an hour wrapping something i might as well use the highest quality i can.

www.campingsurvival.com has these for ~$39 w/ a wide range of colors available

5vcr said:   300ft for $15 at Botach.
Link

The Botach stuff is complete crap (I have some right here!...what you get is actually made by Fox Outdoor Products......certainly not a mil contractor)).....Mil-Spec 650 Chute Cord....they call it 650.....research what that is.....

FatWalker said:   5vcr said:   300ft for $15 at Botach.
Link

The Botach stuff is complete crap (I have some right here!...what you get is actually made by Fox Outdoor Products......certainly not a mil contractor)).....Mil-Spec 650 Chute Cord....they call it 650.....research what that is.....

What makes it crap other than it is 4 strand rather than 7 and thicker?

I might have to cancel my order.

http://www.takknife.com/training_knives_00003e.htm

thirddowndraw said:   FatWalker said:   5vcr said:   300ft for $15 at Botach.
Link

What makes it crap other than it is 4 strand rather than 7 and thicker?

I might have to cancel my order.

http://www.takknife.com/training_knives_00003e.htm

Your chart in the upper right hand corner says it for me.......if you are using for a kids bracelet or something....no problem.....if you are using for some survival situation, the rating might be important. Many carry this stuff for a possible emergency.......oh...and Botach is crap not only for the product but because of the false advertising.....look at the copy over at Botach......it is very wrong.....

MaxMojo said:   We went ahead and ordered 1,000 feet from militaryparacord.com, $72 shipped. That's only a few $$ more than the commercial stuff, so why knot? I realize this is a deal thread, and hope that my reckless 3 sheets to the wind spending doesn't cause any discord here, if it does, please don't lash out at me or string me up, just drop me a line to let me know and I'll rope it in next time.

They were out of stock on black, OD green, camo green, so I got red, should do the trick nicely, although it may attract zombies. Not sure of that though. I'll report back with product details after it's delivered.

BTW - if you want to read the actual mil specs, find 'em here. Note that spec 3.9.1 specifically calls for the color coded strands to ID the manufacturer.

I have no idea what this product is nor what it is used for, but I have to give kudos to MaxMojo, I can't believe no one has commented on his very clever comment, just count all the references to string, thread, knots, lash, line, etc.

Taking from MaxMojo, "I don't want to tie up anymore of your time"...

I was going to use it to make some bead necklaces and lace up my roman sandals.

I'll let you know how it works out - if I am still alive.

Sharp666 said:   lordoffire said:   what exactly are you people doing with it, that would make it necessary to buy only military quality?

it's higher quality, so you pay more. if we didn't care about quality then we are better off just getting a 5k spool of twine for $10.

i use it for various stuff around the house, and also turk's heads on tools and stuff. if i'm going to spend an hour wrapping something i might as well use the highest quality i can.

...there's a big difference between twine and paracord....however, there doesn't seem to be a price justification over the lowly "civilian" cord

You guys are scaring me. I thought the guys who knew everything about flashlights were creepy, but cord enthusiasts??

TellyTubby said:   You guys are scaring me. I thought the guys who knew everything about flashlights were creepy, but cord enthusiasts??

it's basically the same group......

MoonMan said:   MaxMojo said:   We went ahead and ordered 1,000 feet from militaryparacord.com, $72 shipped. That's only a few $$ more than the commercial stuff, so why knot? I realize this is a deal thread, and hope that my reckless 3 sheets to the wind spending doesn't cause any discord here, if it does, please don't lash out at me or string me up, just drop me a line to let me know and I'll rope it in next time.

I have no idea what this product is nor what it is used for, but I have to give kudos to MaxMojo, I can't believe no one has commented on his very clever comment, just count all the references to string, thread, knots, lash, line, etc.

Taking from MaxMojo, "I don't want to tie up anymore of your time"...

Hmmm... I didn't notice that when I was writing it. Really!

TellyTubby said:
You guys are scaring me. I thought the guys who knew everything about flashlights were creepy, but cord enthusiasts??

Add in knives, and optionally firearms.

FatWalker said:   

Your chart in the upper right hand corner says it for me.......if you are using for a kids bracelet or something....no problem.....if you are using for some survival situation, the rating might be important. Many carry this stuff for a possible emergency.......oh...and Botach is crap not only for the product but because of the false advertising.....look at the copy over at Botach......it is very wrong.....

I am beginning to believe you that Botach is crap. No order update after 2 days and there is a black hole where there customer service should be. The "contact us" link goes to a 404 page and the instant chat goes unanswered. I'll regret ordering from these clowns even if the cord is perfectly fine. At least it wasn't something expensive or necessary.

thirddowndraw said:   FatWalker said:   

I am beginning to believe you that Botach is crap. No order update after 2 days and there is a black hole where there customer service should be. The "contact us" link goes to a 404 page and the instant chat goes unanswered. I'll regret ordering from these clowns even if the cord is perfectly fine. At least it wasn't something expensive or necessary.

Botach can be Ok at times....they generally have a good price and free shipping.....but you are right about the "holes".....believe me. On this particular item, I ordered the one that shows mil-spec., etc.......I was expecting the mil-spec civilian (550) stuff to be honest......what shows up is some "string" from "Fox"(650)....basically some really low end camping gear....."chute" cord (650).....wtf?....that is real low spec. stuff.

FatWalker said:   thirddowndraw said:   FatWalker said:   

Botach can be Ok at times....they generally have a good price and free shipping.....but you are right about the "holes".....believe me. On this particular item, I ordered the one that shows mil-spec., etc.......I was expecting the mil-spec civilian (550) stuff to be honest......what shows up is some "string" from "Fox"(650)....basically some really low end camping gear....."chute" cord (650).....wtf?....that is real low spec. stuff.

After all that I get a backorder notice. That's a relief.

Edit:
After finding this post http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/693904-MIL-C-5040H-Type-III I bought 300ft from militaryparacord.com for $35 shipped. It was the same price a bestglide but they only sell in 100ft lengths.

Butcherboy said:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JJSP5W

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Parachute-Paracord-Military-Specific...

Product Features
Color: Olive Drab
7 Strand Cordura Nylon | 550 Type III Parachute Cord (Paracord)
Strength: 550 lbs
Length: 1000 Feet
MADE IN THE USA! US MILITARY SPECIFICATIONS!

Black is now 56.95 but only 4 left.

Make that 3. Thanks OP and others for some great input on this subject.

Give it a try this site, www.yorkn.com, they sell paracord ropes and buckles, received goods quite faster..

FatWalker said:   TellyTubby said:   You guys are scaring me. I thought the guys who knew everything about flashlights were creepy, but cord enthusiasts??

Duct tape and a 8mm camera and we're all set

Black is $49.99 now shipped w/prime.

Edit: A recent review says "Love It Enterprises" sends the mil-spec with the one colored cord... which is the seller for prime.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014