• Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
Is it a download version or actual product box?

lovecd said:   Is it a download version or actual product box?

You pay $10 for an electronic download. You can opt pay $12 to have a physical disk also mailed you.

cnIsfg said:   bri719 said:   cnIsfg said:   bri719 said:   I'm an employee, and I don't plan to leave anytime soon. so who cares? and if their Software Assurance coverage ends, that's up to them to notify me, at which time I would cease using it. and if they never notified me, Microsoft's beef would be with them.

I'm also an MS shareholder, so I approach this as honestly as possible from both sides.

Technically, according to the MS HUP supplemental product liscense greement you agree to when purchase through HUP site you would be wrong on all counts.

Using that same bad logic you could also say that you don't have to keep up insurance on your vehicle because you moved out of state and your former state's insurance commisioner's office did not notify you that you needed keep insurance on your vehicle in your new state. If get caught driving without insurance it would be your former state's insurance commisioner's office fault and you would have no legal libility as your former state's insurance commisioner's office is the real liable party becuase they did not notify you.

hardly. when did I ever imply such a thing? I've never driven without insurance, not even on vacation in a rental car after declining the expensive coverage... so clearly this is not my mindset.

people were talking about using it after leaving their company, I never said I planned to do this or even would do so, nor recommend trying it. I did say, if my company's SA (which authorizes this $10 purchase and license in the first place) were ever cancelled, as mentioned would violate their user agreement. there is absolutely no way for the user to know this, though Microsoft might.

what you're suggesting is one ping their IT department's licensing folks on a regular (daily/weekly/monthly) basis to ensure the SA is still valid. good luck with that. I know of no such solution to the problem you are suggesting people somehow avoid.

The solution is to READ the license agreement you agreed to. No matter how you try to justify your position it is ultimately YOUR responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with the HUP EULA. My insurance analogy was dead on with your “It is my company's burden and not my responsibility” comment.

I'm sorry but thats a dumb analogy. A more akin analogy would be that your insurance company decided to stop doing business in your state and did not notify you that your insurance is no longer valid. The program clearly states that this burden of notification is on the company not the employee.

arktc said:   Kariput said:   Just a mention that if you are a college student, many universities offer MS-Office for free under their software agreements.

Yes, this is generally under the MSDNAA program. It's often not just Office, and sometimes includes other MSFT programs too, such as Windows and Visual Studio.

No...they do NOT offer Office for free through MSDN...they're not that stupid

winXP and win7 plus more design things, yes....although Access is included if you really need it

lordoffire said:   arktc said:   Kariput said:   Just a mention that if you are a college student, many universities offer MS-Office for free under their software agreements.

Yes, this is generally under the MSDNAA program. It's often not just Office, and sometimes includes other MSFT programs too, such as Windows and Visual Studio.

winXP and win7 plus more design things, yes....although Access is included if you really need it

He meant the MSDN Academic Alliance.. not MSDN!

mAdMaLuDaWg said:   lordoffire said:   arktc said:   Kariput said:   Just a mention that if you are a college student, many universities offer MS-Office for free under their software agreements.

He meant the MSDN Academic Alliance.. not MSDN!

okay....I'll correct myself

"No...they do NOT offer Office for free through MSDNAA...they're not that stupid"

Works for @NASA.gov email addresses

anyone can help me buy one and resell it to me for $20?

I have paid $12 for a physical disk,thanks OP!

worked with my .gov email address! Thanks OP

Wasn't this always the price for the Microsoft Home Use Program?

skim32 said:   Wasn't this always the price for the Microsoft Home Use Program?

Yes, but now it must be a "deal".

docjoo said:   Kariput said:   Just a mention that if you are a college student, many universities offer MS-Office for free under their software agreements.

I thought Academic version of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional is about $100.

Guess it depends on the school...I paid $100 for academic version last month....this deal is one month too late for me as my company is eligible for the $10 price

I guess I will upgrade from Office 2003 on my laptop for $10 now....Great deal OP!!!

Worked with my vt.edu

Company participates, thanks OP!

If you have a dot mil email (AKO), this certainly works. Good find. Thanks OP.

alvinkent said:   I have paid $12 for a physical disk,thanks OP!

I don't see the option for getting a physical disc, but I could add a Backup DVD for $13.00 in addition to the soft version. When I removed the soft version, the cart was emptied out. Has anyone experienced this?

vipercon said:   skim32 said:   Wasn't this always the price for the Microsoft Home Use Program?

Yes, but now it must be a "deal".

Yes, this program has been around for years and years, but it would be a hot deal to you if you were just learning about it now because of this post (like many people of the people posting in this thread).

Motivator said:   alvinkent said:   I have paid $12 for a physical disk,thanks OP!

I don't see the option for getting a physical disc, but I could add a Backup DVD for $13.00 in addition to the soft version. When I removed the soft version, the cart was emptied out. Has anyone experienced this?

You are paying for the download/soft version. You can opt to also buy the physical disk for an additional charge. You cannot just purchase the disks.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx#f...

Do I have any other responsibilities?
As the Volume Licensing customer you are not responsible for your individual employee’s compliance with the Home Use Program end user license terms. Those terms are between Microsoft and the individual employee. We do require that you limit Home Use Program access to employees and tell them when they should discontinue use of the Home Use Program software, for example if your Software Assurance coverage ends or the employee leaves employment.

Works for my .edu email.

It didnt work for my .edu or .gov

mAdMaLuDaWg said:   cnIsfg said:   bri719 said:   cnIsfg said:   bri719 said:   I'm an employee, and I don't plan to leave anytime soon. so who cares? and if their Software Assurance coverage ends, that's up to them to notify me, at which time I would cease using it. and if they never notified me, Microsoft's beef would be with them.

I'm also an MS shareholder, so I approach this as honestly as possible from both sides.

Technically, according to the MS HUP supplemental product liscense greement you agree to when purchase through HUP site you would be wrong on all counts.

Using that same bad logic you could also say that you don't have to keep up insurance on your vehicle because you moved out of state and your former state's insurance commisioner's office did not notify you that you needed keep insurance on your vehicle in your new state. If get caught driving without insurance it would be your former state's insurance commisioner's office fault and you would have no legal libility as your former state's insurance commisioner's office is the real liable party becuase they did not notify you.

hardly. when did I ever imply such a thing? I've never driven without insurance, not even on vacation in a rental car after declining the expensive coverage... so clearly this is not my mindset.

people were talking about using it after leaving their company, I never said I planned to do this or even would do so, nor recommend trying it. I did say, if my company's SA (which authorizes this $10 purchase and license in the first place) were ever cancelled, as mentioned would violate their user agreement. there is absolutely no way for the user to know this, though Microsoft might.

what you're suggesting is one ping their IT department's licensing folks on a regular (daily/weekly/monthly) basis to ensure the SA is still valid. good luck with that. I know of no such solution to the problem you are suggesting people somehow avoid.

The solution is to READ the license agreement you agreed to. No matter how you try to justify your position it is ultimately YOUR responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with the HUP EULA. My insurance analogy was dead on with your “It is my company's burden and not my responsibility” comment.

I'm sorry but thats a dumb analogy. A more akin analogy would be that your insurance company decided to stop doing business in your state and did not notify you that your insurance is no longer valid. The program clearly states that this burden of notification is on the company not the employee.

Also, in reference to your insurance analogy, it is up to the individual to notify the insurance company of you move. I think (not sure though) that it is even a law within 30 days, just like notifying the DVM (at least here in FL).

I work for a VERY large worldwide company, but no dice. I was shocked, actually. I know we participate in one of the Microsoft programs, but I don't think it's this one.

Wow, my company is in on this, thanks OP.

If I go download-only, do I get a setup file that I can burn to disk (or copy to a memory stick) myself?

Worked for me but is NOT compatible with Windows XP (I have this on my Bootcamp partition. Put it on my acer Netbook instead.

OP Correct title. Based on # of users not getting deal, remove "ANY OTHER".

Worked for me. Thanks a ton OP. I will just burn my own backup DVD though, rather than pay $12.

if i order online and DVD, are those 2 seperate licenses?

coolmind said:   if i order online and DVD, are those 2 seperate licenses?

No. They are just being considerate by not charging everyone $24 because most people no longer want or use the physical disks.

I paid 10.95 for online version and 13 for DVD.
So i'll get both.. with 2 different order numbers. so as I'm getting both, i still have only 1 license. is that correct?

fivetalents said:   coolmind said:   if i order online and DVD, are those 2 seperate licenses?

No. They are just being considerate by not charging everyone $24 because most people no longer want or use the physical disks.

coolmind said:   I paid 10.95 for online version and 13 for DVD.
So i'll get both.. with 2 different order numbers. so as I'm getting both, i still have only 1 license. is that correct?

fivetalents said:   coolmind said:   if i order online and DVD, are those 2 seperate licenses?

It is my understanding that you can only purchase 1 license per employee. So, yes, the disks only serve as physical backup, not a separate license.

Thanks OP I was in the market to update my MS Office from 2003. With the CD and tax I got for $25 ..sweet deal

Worked with nyu.edu.

adam-i-am said:   If anyone has a valid address and got a code but isnt planning on using it please pm me...

Thanks!

Why would anybody pay $10 for a code that they dont plan on using?

toprammin said:   
Why would anybody pay $10 for a code that they dont plan on using?

wouldn't be the first time a FW'er bought something they didn't need/want just because it was a great deal

I got this through my company even though I didn't have a company email address. I had to call corporate, who put my email temporarily on the list. With my company, this was a specific benefit that was announced during orientation.

Does anybody who already got it know how many computers you can install? Thanks.

gottosave said:   Does anybody who already got it know how many computers you can install? Thanks.

have yet to find a free option that works....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014