• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was in my local Target this past weekend and saw that they had the Sony eReader (PRST1BC) on clearance (red sticker) for 30% off (0.7 * $130 = $91). I'm not sure how good this one is, what the capabilities are, whether you can buy from the B&N or Amazon ecosystems, or at what price this becomes a good deal. Please feel free to comment!

For product info, here's a link to it on Sony's website.

Here's a link to it on Target online. (Yes, I know this doesn't show the clearance price.)

Edit: This was in Northern Virginia. There were about four of them in the glass eReader case. The red sticker was visible if you stooped to inspect the eReaders. There also was a red CLEARANCE sticker over the normal price tag on the shelf.

Edit: Updated topic to reflect 50% off that some people have been lucky enough to find at their local B&M.

Member Summary

Sony eReader (PRS-T1)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Target is clearing out Kindle keyboard version. This past Monday was 50% off, I tried to wait another week for 70% off, ... (more)

babylon5 (Jul. 18, 2012 @ 7:38p) |

turbotwo (Jul. 18, 2012 @ 8:53p) |

hi watchtower77,
is your offer still available (a couple of T1 reader W & B)

Toni

armione (Jul. 19, 2012 @ 2:29p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have been waiting these to drop to 50% off. They have been there at 30% for the past 10 days at my target. Juicy tid bit about these is I guess they are the only high end e ink displays to have android running in back round.

Nice find OP.

Yes, I've been watching these too. All the stores in my area have a nice supply of them and I'm waiting for the next price drop.

My store has a stack of them at $64.98 (50% off). Waiting to see if they go 70%. DPCI 057-17-0050 Blk, 057-17-0051 Wht

No location in your profile. What is your target location if you don't mind?

*EDIT

Not trying to bogart your supply, should have been more specific. My sleuthing has found a trend between Utah and Colorado target stores and their discount timing. Its all circumstantial (eBay auction locations, FW comments etc.) Just curious more than anything I'd say

WishingOnAStar said:   My store has a stack of them at $64.98 (50% off). Waiting to see if they go 70%. DPCI 057-17-0050 Blk, 057-17-0051 Wht

same here, been 50% for a while now, waiting for 70%. I can't wait to sling these bad boys on the bay for a tidy profit. must practice patience.

Our Target store NEVER has these clearance prices, in fact they often do not have the products advertised in sales flyers available for the price indicated in the flyer! I have never met such obstinate sales staff, they are totally unwilling to match prices, even if you print information up from web pages or even show them online in the store. Because of this I now rarely shop there. Who wants to give cheapskates business?

Meh. The Nook Simple Touch has Android 2.1 in the background, easy to root, same touch display, has been as low as 60 net recently.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   WishingOnAStar said:   My store has a stack of them at $64.98 (50% off). Waiting to see if they go 70%. DPCI 057-17-0050 Blk, 057-17-0051 Wht

same here, been 50% for a while now, waiting for 70%. I can't wait to sling these bad boys on the bay for a tidy profit. must practice patience.

Yes, let's wait for 75% off.

tomspoon said:   Our Target store NEVER has these clearance prices, in fact they often do not have the products advertised in sales flyers available for the price indicated in the flyer! I have never met such obstinate sales staff, they are totally unwilling to match prices, even if you print information up from web pages or even show them online in the store. Because of this I now rarely shop there. Who wants to give cheapskates business?

Who is the cheapskate, Mr. Fatwalleter?

For some reason, the stores that had an abundance of units at $90 are now wiped clean.

Sonyad said:   For some reason, the stores that had an abundance of units at $90 are now wiped clean.

Uh...yeah. Mine too, wink, wink. I would avoid wasting your time. You don't need to go to my target as they are all gone at my target, wink wink.

HammerinHank said:   Sonyad said:   For some reason, the stores that had an abundance of units at $90 are now wiped clean.

uh...yeah. Mine too, wink, wink. I would avoid wasting your time. You don't need to go to my target as they are all gone at my target, wink wink.

With the link the OP provided, I managed to find a distant store with a few available and I grabbed one for $65. I wish the ebayers would cut it out. Is it so horrible to leave some inventory for folks who actually want the product at a good price for their OWN use?

Thanks guys, just picked one up for 50% off.

..just got a SPARE Sony T1 for the clearance price of $65 at a local Target. Their standard covers are discontinued but still at the full retail price.

Anybody know where I can get a STANDARD Sony T1 cover for a clearance or lower price than $40USD?thanks.

gardenstate said:   ..just got a SPARE Sony T1 for the clearance price of $65 at a local Target. Their standard covers are discontinued but still at the full retail price.

Anybody know where I can get a STANDARD Sony T1 cover for a clearance or lower price than $40USD?thanks.

Amazon.

Scored 2 today for ~$40 each. Glad I was able to get a cheap graduation present for my son and get one for me to use.

I love my 950 (paid over $200 for it so I better love it) but out of curiosity how does the T1 compare?

The electronics DB at my local just smirked and said "90 bucks".

I really liked my PRS-950 (before selling it earlier this year due to the need for $$$). The large screen and ability to reflow pdf files was just great. The T1 is a nice reader that is very lightweight due to the use of a plastic frame, easy to root with firmware to get some Android functionality, and can accept EPUB format files. On the neg side, the glossy plastic frame likes to attract fingerprints and the unit no longer supports the Sony LRF book format.

Both readers have a gigantic user base at www.mobileread.com that provides unit troubleshooting and user created firmware modifications.

BEST BUY Clearance on Sony T1 covers?

Just got back from our local Chicago-area BEST BUY.

They had the standard T1 cover clearance priced at $14.

The Sony LIGHTED T1 cover was $28.

They also had one open box Sony PRS-t1 reader for about $68.

That's awesome and pretty much the deal for me. Its a perfect reader with quality display and great battery!

My local Target was out of these the last time I checked. Not sure whether they made it to 50% or they were snatched up at 30% off.

I missed out on this deal. Better luck next time.

picked up 10 today at $65. Drove 300 miles.

This one looks really great!! Just as the one I want to get.

This one seems great. Thank you.

Easier to read on it than my cellphone.

Not necessary now. But great find, op.

gardenstate said:   ..just got a SPARE Sony T1 for the clearance price of $65 at a local Target. Their standard covers are discontinued but still at the full retail price.

Will the Touch Edition cover fit a T1? The Office Depot in Studio City, CA had a few Sony leather covers in their clearance bin this evening. They were priced at $5. They also had a cover for the smaller pocket version.

thanks. I got a T1 cover from BestBuy that had them on clearance for $14.

I saw the covers on sale at Best Buy. However I really want one with a light. Haven't needed the light often (I have an older 300 model) but it has happened a couple of times that if I didn't have the light, I wouldn't have been able to use the reader.

Sonyad said:   I saw the covers on sale at Best Buy. However I really want one with a light. Haven't needed the light often (I have an older 300 model) but it has happened a couple of times that if I didn't have the light, I wouldn't have been able to use the reader.

Some Best Buys have the lighted cover on clearance too. Don't forget, you can check Best Buy's clearance by store online. I found the lighted cover for $19.99 at my local store after checking online. The clearance price will vary by store, so I checked several stores in the area to find the cheapest. The prices ranged from 19.99 to about 28. I found the prices to be accurate between the online checking and in store marked but ymmv. Hope it helps!

I have a few of these left, will sell for $45 plus shipping if anyone needs one.

Will have to check out Best Buy for cases.

Looking for an extra one if anyone could help me out...

hey watchtower77,
your offer is still available (a white one)? you mean the T1 reader, right?

DJ

watchtower77 said:   I have a few of these left, will sell for $45 plus shipping if anyone needs one.

I'll take one off your hands if you still have some...

PS: I checked 6 Targets in my local area and none of them had it; the displays are no longer even showing a space for the item (no shelf tags either)...

Skipping 4 Messages...
hi watchtower77,
is your offer still available (a couple of T1 reader W & B)

Toni

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014