• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Acer ICONIA A100 (25.87kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I've not received my shipping notification from order on the 10th either.

rsmars (Aug. 25, 2012 @ 6:49a) |

cjc15153 (Aug. 25, 2012 @ 11:53a) |

Same here...

EvolvingGST (Aug. 25, 2012 @ 1:22p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer

even better this is getting ics!

DealGraber said:   even better this is getting ics!

Already out.

http://www.phonenews.com/htc-ics-acer-android-4-0-tablet-flyer-evo-view-jetstream-20257/

sweet

I had one and for this price, it is a respectable tablet, if you want a 7". It runs anything your throw at it and the screen is nice.

If a new one cost $226 why is $170 refurbished a good price?

it is back to $279 now.

Cenbit said:   it is back to $279 now.

I still see it as $169.99.

ahcool said:   If a new one cost $226 why is $170 refurbished a good price?

Because most of the refurbs are brand new. I own one of the 1SaleADay units. Can't distinguish it from brand new in any form (aside from the generic packaging that it came in).

I suspect Acer is using refurbished as a form of price discrimination, and I also suspect they have the same oversupply problems RIM does/did with BB PlayBook. They're just keeping the fire sale quiet by selling new units as refurbished stock.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" for $249. I am mainly after the 7" screen. Is the Acer will be a better choose?

acer is cool!!

ahcool said:   If a new one cost $226 why is $170 refurbished a good price?

You realize that is a $56 savings right? So yes, it is a good price. Unless you don't like saving money.

thanks farside, though I wasn't planing on buying a tablet this morning. this seems too good to pass up. green

any suggestions for a fold over case?

Because most of the refurbs are brand new !!! HUH

Cool

Just got a refurb kindle fire for 139.99 and plan to root it sooner or later, this any better? How does it compare?

Thanks

nixmahn said:   Just got a refurb kindle fire for 139.99 and plan to root it sooner or later, this any better? How does it compare?

This has cameras (great for Skype or for taking occasional snapshots or movies), native Ice Cream Sandwich (no need to root), and expandable memory (via microSD slot). Definitely worth an extra $30, in my opinion.

Wow... nice deal. Are these decent build quality (compared to other tablets)?

kickface421 said:   Wow... nice deal. Are these decent build quality (compared to other tablets)?

Yes, they are a solid build. A little thick, but not bad at all. Its a great buy, and Acer really supports their tablets.

Thanks OP, seems like a nice tablet. Hope I can upgrade to ICS easily.

StarGrazer2 said:   Thanks OP, seems like a nice tablet. Hope I can upgrade to ICS easily.

It is super easy. Acer just released the ICS for this.

In addition it has access to all Google Play tablet apps, two cameras, Bluetooth, GPS, HDMI out, micro SD slot, supports ICS, better speakers. Most important feature compared to Kindle Fire, it has volume buttons and power button is on the top! The only missing feature is that you cannot play Amazon Prime videos on it, at least not the way they look in Kindle Fire.

I got this mostly for commute usage and it does a great job. I hope to find a decent GPS app with offline maps and sell/give my old GPS.

nixmahn said:   Just got a refurb kindle fire for 139.99 and plan to root it sooner or later, this any better? How does it compare?

It's as easy a pressing 'Yes' on a question 'Can I install an update?'

StarGrazer2 said:   Thanks OP, seems like a nice tablet. Hope I can upgrade to ICS easily.

I see the battery life is not that great. Can anybody who has this tablet comment? Thanks.

bigbelly said:   I see the battery life is not that great. Can anybody who has this tablet comment? Thanks.

Define 'great battery life'. 4.5 hours will cover a couple movies on the red eye.

I'd call 2 movies fair battery life. 4 movies would be great. Do you get 4.5 hours of continuous video playback?

Putting aside the $70-$80 difference in price, which is the better unit for a casual tablet user, Acer or Galaxy 2??

also crappy viewing angles=increased privacy

Hah, I can confirm this about the viewing angle. This is the reason I am going to play with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 at Costco if it's worth the upgrade. I use the nGroove CD Slot Mount in my car and this fits perfectly in landscape at a maximum open. BUT, I have to have it at 90 degrees with my eyes so that I can use it. I disabled auto dim and cracked up the brightness, but it's still not good. I don't have this problem with my cellphone or an iPod Touch.

youicide said:   also crappy viewing angles=increased privacy

I'm so torn on this vs Galaxy Tab 7" for $249.99

The lack of HDMI on the Galaxy, but better screen on the Galaxy, is putting me into a neverending quandry ...

youicide said:   also crappy viewing angles=increased privacy

Yes and no. Yes, bad viewing angle "up and down", not from "side to side", per this review

I'd rather it be the other way, for increased privacy from the sides, and being able to look at it flat on a desk, but it's not that way

I mentioned this Acer in another thread about the Nook .
silly me. ;-}
Seems I ruffled a few feathers ...
Would someone please school them ?
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1192804/

Note !
I have no investment in either ...just struck me that this was the better toy...
Bang for the Buck...type thing.

If by ruffle feathers you mean, asked to substantiate your hyperbole, sure. Why don't you do the 'schooling' yourself, since you must have some reason you think this is a better bang for the buck...type thing?

SupTech said:   I mentioned this Acer in another thread about the Nook .
silly me. ;-}
Seems I ruffled a few feathers ...
Would someone please school them ?
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1192804/

Note !
I have no investment in either ...just struck me that this was the better toy...
Bang for the Buck...type thing.

The Nook tablet does not have Android 4.0, and probably will be stuck at Android 2.3 for life. B&N isn't releasing any of the source code needed for a proper ICS build, so any CM9-style ROMs will be shoehorned and buggy, at best.

The Acer A100 has a superior GPU, superior overall performance, expansion, and connectivity. Why would you think Nook Tablet is a better deal, unless you want Nook services, or don't have $20 to spare?

(Owning both here, speaking from experience).

P.S. No complaints about viewing angle, any direction, on the A100 from my extensive use. It isn't the ViewSonic GTab, certainly. Screen is well done for a 7-inch tablet under $400. I would expect more on the Galaxy Tab Plus, but that's a $400 7-inch tablet.

I'm glad I opted for the A100 over Galaxy Tab 2. $70 is not trivial for me, and I feel like I have the better deal, and the better tablet.

The battery life for A100 is really bad. ~5 hours I think

In for 1. Thanks OP. Today eBay has double ebucks on electronics, which makes this deal even better.

Typing from mine now. Ics installed easy. The viewing angles do affect thing more than I thought they would, it does matter if you are lookin at the screen from above or below in landscape mode, i.e. if you want to look down on the screen you need to have the sound buttons pointing up, down if you want to see the screen from below. The keyboard has been real laggy, this took way to long to type.

Edit: installed all the updates works much better now. Nice small tablet, flash bout blinded me. There is one angle where the screen looks terrible.

Skipping 9 Messages...
Same here...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014