• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Ting is offering a $50 discount for the first phone or data device purchased at Ting.com and used with their mobile service.
Apply code VTIMR52 during checkout at Ting.com.

Especially nice for the lower end phones like LG Optimus S or the Huawei Express Mobile Hotspot.
Higher end phones like the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Motorola Photon seem to be a bit pricey, unless you factor in any recurring savings from the service plans.

No contract, activation fee or termination fee.

(Ting is a new cellphone provider that operates on the Sprint network with voice roaming included at no extra cost.
They offer "dynamic" plans based on your usage every month, with usage aggregated from all devices on an account.
They seem to have a nice and clean website with emphasis on customer support and fair billing practices.
Their data rates do seem a bit on the higher side but may be a good deal for not-so-heavy usage.)

More detailed info:

Ting [ting.com] is a pay for what you use service, that allows pooling of minutes, texts, and data across several devices at reasonable rates.
It runs on the Sprint network with roaming included on Verizon etc.. It includes Premium 4G (WiMax) devices like the Motorola Photon and Samsung Galaxy S2.

For someone needing occasional light hotspot use, it's ideal (e.g. with the Huawei Express Mobile Hotspot) at $6 a month to keep it on "standby", there when you need it.

For light users, especially ones making most of their calls over WiFi using GroveIP, it could be a really great deal. For folks wanting to go pre-paid and still get high end devices, this is also a good option.

Freebies (Included at no charge) Voicemail, Picture & Video messaging, 3-way Calling, Caller ID, Tethering, Hotspot and more.
Surcharges (Added to the cost of your plans) Travelling Outside USA, International Calling, Directory Assistance, Regulatory Fees.

All minutes, etc, are shared between all devices. (Phones, USB data, and hotspots)

If you go over or under your purchased plan, it will autoadjust to the correct plan, and bill/credit you the difference.

Plan Examples -

2500 Minutes
100 texts (use Google Voice for texts at no charge)
3GB data
2 devices
_____________

$127

1250 minutes
100 texts (most sent via Google Voice to keep costs down)
3GB data
2 devices
______________
$110

If you bump that to 4 devices, it only goes to $122

Member Summary

Ting Logo
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
great customer service --- if you got good Sprint coverage and you can live without the data to save $$$ --- this is the... (more)

germanpope (Dec. 05, 2012 @ 9:58p) |

only $25 off now!

LvBrknHrt (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 10:22a) |

I just switched to the Optimus Elite this week and am still on the $25.00 plan.

knowit2 (Mar. 08, 2013 @ 11:01a) |

Data Usage Estimator from AT&T

Codes that Work

No more promo codes can be entered at checkout. Only direct links activate the discount.

Direct discount link: https://vqehq6h.ting.com

Message edited by: swappedfamilia on 2012-10-03 23:19:08 CDT
  • Also categorized in:
    • Deal
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ting web site

Data seems high. Virgin Mobile plans allow 2.5GB before they throttle. And I still have the $25 plan...until I change phones and am forced into $35.

Makes the Vero $20! Cheap way to try the service.

Not for me but part of the reason for high data cost will be the free tethering and hotspot.

Not for me but part of the reason for high data cost will be the free tethering and hotspot.

ConnieIL1 said:   Ting web site

Data seems high. Virgin Mobile plans allow 2.5GB before they throttle. And I still have the $25 plan...until I change phones and am forced into $35.


I believe you can keep your $25 VM plan if you upgrade phones. At least I was able to get my wife a new phone and she kept her $25 plan.

hl41 said:   ConnieIL1 said:   Ting web site

Data seems high. Virgin Mobile plans allow 2.5GB before they throttle. And I still have the $25 plan...until I change phones and am forced into $35.


I believe you can keep your $25 VM plan if you upgrade phones. At least I was able to get my wife a new phone and she kept her $25 plan.


After 5/27, you will be forced to the $35/ month plan when you upgrade to one of the newer VM phones (upcoming HTC EVO V, HTC One V, etc.). At this time, you can maintain the grandfathered $25/ month rate when buying some of the older phones (Triumph, Optimus V, Optimus Slider, etc.), but who knows how long they will continue to sell these.

It seems that VM $25 plan would not offer 4G speeds unless you upgrade to the higher plan. Also VM does not roam on Verizon etc, while Ting does - so coverage is better.

the site isn't telling me what my costs are on a dynamic plan when i 'go over'. just the highest plan overage.
also i have not ever done internet by phone so dont know the usage for surfing an hour a day? i mean how long would it take to use up 100mb? i am condering the modem stick for my laptop so mobile use is easy. and how much do OTHER normal charges add to bill?

Wish I would have found these codes before I signed myself up. At least I can use them for my parents.

I found another code that works as well recently when searching. VTIMRJ1. I love Ting, for the price (if you're a low data user) they're great.

lexx said:   the site isn't telling me what my costs are on a dynamic plan when i 'go over'. just the highest plan overage.
also i have not ever done internet by phone so dont know the usage for surfing an hour a day? i mean how long would it take to use up 100mb? i am condering the modem stick for my laptop so mobile use is easy. and how much do OTHER normal charges add to bill?


You just get bumped up or down to the relevant tier for the month (separately for voice/data/text each). They do provide a safety cushion of 5% in case you go over by just a little bit. For data usage estimate, you can use AT&T's estimator:
http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

ricsom said:   lexx said:   the site isn't telling me what my costs are on a dynamic plan when i 'go over'. just the highest plan overage.
also i have not ever done internet by phone so dont know the usage for surfing an hour a day? i mean how long would it take to use up 100mb? i am condering the modem stick for my laptop so mobile use is easy. and how much do OTHER normal charges add to bill?


You just get bumped up or down to the relevant tier for the month (separately for voice/data/text each). They do provide a safety cushion of 5% in case you go over by just a little bit. For data usage estimate, you can use AT&T's estimator:
http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html


so they make some good money on BUMPING? ouch! like it was said, data aint cheap? double the data fees and make it GB's and i'm in! but i guess what i was askin is what is the rate per unit on XS plan? 03cents? why cant we get 'near' unlimited data for like 25$ and i wonder how long this $50 offer will last? hold off and make em give us a free phone? 598U does it do wifi too? if not guess i'm out since that would mean extra gadget to do wifi.

I think that including per line fee of $6, 100mb of data would come to about $10-11 per month with taxes. That makes it 10c/mb. If you to the 500mb tier, it'd be about $20, so 2c/mb. If you want wifi, why get 598u? Just get the huawei express mobile hotspot. I think for just light to medium data, this is a very competitive no contract option, especially if you are in a 4G area.

The Huawei Express Mobile hotspot seems like a good deal without contract. Battery life should be good too with 2200 mAh battery.

Thank you. You saved me an easy 50 bucks. Green for you, ricsom.

Info that might be helpful-

I bought a Galaxy SII today at ting. There was no opportunity to put in discount codes during checkout. I called ting customer service, and I found out that to use the discount code, you have to do this:

In a blank browser address bar, paste the discount code (no HTTP, no www in front) followed by .ting.com. (note the dot in front of ting)

If successful, when the page loads you will get an immediate pop up telling you the $50 discount is applied.

can I just buy a phone and not activate it?
I'm thinking to use it only for wifi at home.
TIA.

I have the same question. Can anyone answer?

bunnyeric said:   can I just buy a phone and not activate it?
I'm thinking to use it only for wifi at home.
TIA.

bump --- refurbished LG Marquee phones available again for $87

Train All Day, Joe Rogan Podcast By Night. - E

great customer service --- if you got good Sprint coverage and you can live without the data to save $$$ --- this is the plan

only $25 off now!

ConnieIL1 said:   Ting web site

Data seems high. Virgin Mobile plans allow 2.5GB before they throttle. And I still have the $25 plan...until I change phones and am forced into $35.


I just switched to the Optimus Elite this week and am still on the $25.00 plan.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014