• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Online only (not in stores) at Home Depot. Must buy at least $5.03 of filler to get free shipping.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203112360/h_d2/ProductDi...

"Compare N Save"
$39.97 for 2.5 gallons (320 oz) 41% Glyphosate Concentrate

320 oz makes 128 gallons at tough weed mix (2.5 oz per gallon).
320 oz makes 213 gallons for general weed control (1.5 oz per gallon).

Model # 75325 Internet # 203112360

$39.97 is the regular price. But I couldn't find any generic Glyphosate with the same ready to use gallon yields, for the same shipped price, anywhere.

Minor rant: the first three or four filler items I tried to use were in store only items.

Note: I think the description on the HD webpage has an error. The 2.5 gallons would make enough mix to treat 63,000 sq. ft., not 630,000 sq. ft.

Member Summary

Home Depot $39.97 for enough generic Round Up to make 213 RTU gallons
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I have a non-native bamboo patch devouring my development from when I planted it for my weekend SE Asia/Indo-China battl... (more)

bigcat007 (May. 31, 2012 @ 12:48a) |

dupe

bigcat007 (May. 31, 2012 @ 12:48a) |

Who you callin' "dupe"?

brusbrother (May. 31, 2012 @ 3:45a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It looks a good deal. I usually use Weed and Grass Killer when grass still are yellow. So it only kills the weed. It is tough to use it at this season, isn't it? It kills all.

213 Gallons ? Do you own a forest full of weeds ?

Cheap Chinese knockoff. Surfactants are an important part of the weed killing process and some manufacturers have poor or no surfactants in their products. I am not saying that this product specifically will perform any worse than round-up, but don't just compare levels of Glyphosate as your only criteria for purchase. Anybody have direct experience with this product in comparison to round-up? It does get good reviews on the HD website.

ezwrighter said:   Cheap Chinese knockoff.

I expect greatness from this product, as the Chinese are excellent at population control.

pietromoon said:   ezwrighter said:   Cheap Chinese knockoff.

I expect greatness from this product, as the Chinese are excellent at population control.

lol. I logged in just so I could give you green.

Great deal, in for 2. As for a surfactant, a little dish soap in the mix works well or you can purchase a professional grade surfactant as well if you don't like the suds.

Glennford said:   Great deal, in for 2. As for a surfactant, a little dish soap in the mix works well or you can purchase a professional grade surfactant as well if you don't like the suds.
I have used generic from farmers co-op with good results. I second Glennford tip on the dish soap. Just be sure to add it last because if not it will suds over the top before sprayer is full.

Glennford said:   Great deal, in for 2. As for a surfactant, a little dish soap in the mix works well or you can purchase a professional grade surfactant as well if you don't like the suds.

Prior to reading your post, I was wondering to myself if Gylcerin might make a good one. It's cheap and available in most First Aid sections of the store.

ezwrighter said:   Cheap Chinese knockoff. Surfactants are an important part of the weed killing process and some manufacturers have poor or no surfactants in their products. I am not saying that this product specifically will perform any worse than round-up, but don't just compare levels of Glyphosate as your only criteria for purchase. Anybody have direct experience with this product in comparison to round-up? It does get good reviews on the HD website.

Where do you see this is a Chinese product? The distributing company is based in Louisiana. Just wondering what makes you think they get it from China?

Do your research. F the surfactants. The mainstream over priced products have other chemicals to make it brown in a 24 hours. Brown does not equal dead. Straight Glyphosate may take weeks to "brown" but it is dead. Look at a bouquet of flowers they are dead and good ones will last weeks.

thanks
that filler item is indeed a pain in the ***

I used to work for Spectracide. The other chemical round up has in it now is diquat which is only a top burner. The original roundup before its patent expired was 18percent glyphosate only with some surfactants the only thing they have to list is the active ingredient surfactants are not active ingredients so they don't have to tell you about them. most of rest of bottle is water. the generics work just as good. Chemicals are strictly regulated so it has to have what it says it does to get the EPA to approve its label for the company to sell in the US. This should work just fine. I buy Lowes Home Depot and WalMart generic round up and it always works fine the only time you need the surfactant is if the plant has waxy type coated leaves like poison ivy (shiny leaves) and some grasses. A little ivory soap works great or glycerine. Round up works by staving the plant to death that's why it takes 10 days or so to work. the diquat just scorches the leaves to give a more immediate effect.

^^^^^
How long will this stuff last, in the original container??
1 year, 2, or *much* longer?
TIA

If you want to know what is in Roundup currently, here is the MSDS: http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?manuf=23&t=

Here is the MSDS info for the "Compare N' Save" product: http://www.raganandmassey.com/label-msdsinfo.html

Logan71 said:   Glennford said:   Great deal, in for 2. As for a surfactant, a little dish soap in the mix works well or you can purchase a professional grade surfactant as well if you don't like the suds.

Prior to reading your post, I was wondering to myself if Gylcerin might make a good one. It's cheap and available in most First Aid sections of the store.

I think you would be fine using glycerin. The other reason to use a surfactant is to give some extra holding power against dew or rain.

Glennford said:   If you want to know what is in Roundup currently, here is the MSDS: http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?manuf=23&t=

Here is the MSDS info for the "Compare N' Save" product: http://www.raganandmassey.com/label-msdsinfo.html

Great find. Roundup Original Max has 49% Glyphosate vs. Compare N' Save 41% Glyphosate.

As for people wondering if it is made in China, I can tell you that there is a 95% chance that Glyphosate is coming from a Chinese supplier. It was tested by a US company to ensure that it meets EPA registered specification before it is formulated with other ingredients. The bottom line is that generic is as good as brand name and sometimes they are manufactured by the same company.

As an aside, genetically engineered "Round-up resistant soybeans" are what every US farmer uses now. They just spray roundup on their fields and it kills everything except the soybeans. The fields are amazingly pristine compared to when I was a kid. I've heard there is lawn grass already engineered to do the same. Soon, one will just spray Roundup on their lawn to kill all non-grass weeds. Pretty cool. It will be funny the number of people that kill their lawn because they use Roundup like their neighbor but don't have the right type of grass!

Here Another cheaper option if you live close to one of their stores (shipping expensive) store locator Drexel Imitator Plus Glyphosate 2.5 Gallon Jug w/ 15% Surfactant (Contains 41 percent Glyphosate).

Nice. I like to mix mine on the stronger side for some applications, including using it full strength to paint onto freshly cut Stumps
of heavier brush.

I needed some sandpaper, too, but nearly everything they sold was either in-store only or out of stock online. Their webstore really sucks. Got some hook & loop sandpaper for $6 to get me free shipping, though I'd otherwise never pay over a dollar a piece for that stuff!

Nice find, now we need to find a deal on bug spay for the home.

tractor supply also regularly has their Gordons-branded 41% glyphosate for the same price. In fact they do now. Occasionally they put it on sale for $30.

As for comparing it to things like the real Roundup, well, I don't see any difference in it. Some tend to work a little better than others and that is mainly the result of the added surfactants. The surfactant is important. I always add about .5% NI to mine regardless if it has it in it already. I have a container of RU QuickPro dry sitting there that I rarely use. Why? I'm not impressed with it. It does cause some wilting at 2 days on certain weeds. Some weeds are just harder to kill than others and require a heavier concentration in the final mix. But the stuff is so expensive that you tend to use the low 1.5 ounce rate where you might mix in 3 ounces of generic per gallon when using something that costs way less. At day five the generic treated area at a heavier concentration will look well on its way where the one mixed at the 1.5 oz rate of QuickPro will be spotty. Some weeds looks yellow, some look untouched.

Anyway, you can pick up a gallon of non-ionic surfactant for $10-15. Grab some of that and mix it in at 1/2 to 3/4 ounce per gallon with 2.5 - 3 oz with your generic gly and you will have good results. If you want an amazingly fast burn down, spike it with 3 to 4 ounces of Scythe herbicide. Doesn't smell too great, but results are visible in an hour or less. Scythe is also great on it's own in areas you would be concerned about the use of glyphosate, like around your garden. It is a contact killer. It will completely kill small weeds, but will just burn the tops off larger ones. Repeat apps may kill entirely, but that is the reason to to mix with glyphosate.

Appelski said:   ^^^^^
TIA
I'm still using some Killzall Weed and Grass Killer - 41% Glyphosate that I bought about eight years ago. It needs to be stored somewhere cool and dark.

I'm in, I bought "33.8 oz. Spray Bottle Original Purple Formula Glass Cleaner Model # 20345" as the filler, not too bad at $2.77 a bottle.

Bobbo65 said:   thanks

I bought a 3M Filtrete pleated filter for my furnace / air conditioner. UPS crushed it just bad enough to know it was UPS, but not bad enough to render it unusable.

Also considered a couple of Shark Bite plumbing fittings, which might be useful to have on hand for emergency repair of copper water supply line, especially if you aren't good at sweating copper pipe.

respdoc said:   213 Gallons ? Do you own a forest full of weeds ?

I use quite a bit of it. But I do expect to get many years (and save a lot of money) out of the 2.5 gallon jug.

I don't own a string trimmer, I just use Glyphosate two or three times per season on fence rows and other lawn edges. Doesn't look quite as nice, but it is much easier.

My elderly mother has a deteriorating stone patio that makes for a bumper crop of weeds. I take care of that periodically.

I also have a side yard that has several different varieties of grass, many persistent weeds that are susceptible to control but not complete elimination.

I plan to nuke that entire section and reseed with high quality grass seed.

Appelski said:   ^^^^^
TIA

Should last many years, so long as you don't let it freeze or expose it to 100 degree plus heat like a lawn shed or detached garage. You also want to keep it tightly capped and away from children. Mine stays in the basement, behind a locked door.

You could also split a jug with a neighbor or friend.

What is a good generics weed killer to be used on the lawn for crabgrass, dandelion, clover and broadleaf plantain?

looking4deal said:   What is a good generics weed killer to be used on the lawn for crabgrass, dandelion, clover and broadleaf plantain?

flamethrower.

Bobbo65 said:   thanks

Vegetable seeds run about $2.50 a packet or so. Same with herb seeds.

looking4deal said:   What is a good generics weed killer to be used on the lawn for crabgrass, dandelion, clover and broadleaf plantain?

What kind of grass?

87horsepower said:   looking4deal said:   What is a good generics weed killer to be used on the lawn for crabgrass, dandelion, clover and broadleaf plantain?

What kind of grass?

No sure, it is kind of thin blade and I am in Chicago area.

Roundup acts on one of the key stages of cellular division in humans (think cancer). How many FatWallet members spray these chemicals wearing HazMat gear?

These toxins get into the water and kill amphibians like frogs and tadpoles.

I've pulled weeds by hand for 40 years, it's not very difficult.

po90260 said:   Roundup acts on one of the key stages of cellular division in humans (think cancer). How many FatWallet members spray these chemicals wearing HazMat gear?

These toxins get into the water and kill amphibians like frogs and tadpoles.

I've pulled weeds by hand for 40 years, it's not very difficult.

Can you stop by tomorrow?

Use white Vinegar, it does the same thing.

Thanks, I was just about to roundup some roundup. and you saved me a few of these $$$

looking4deal said:   87horsepower said:   looking4deal said:   What is a good generics weed killer to be used on the lawn for crabgrass, dandelion, clover and broadleaf plantain?

What kind of grass?

No sure, it is kind of thin blade and I am in Chicago area.

Crabgrass control is not the easiest thing to achieve. I live in the south and we have different turf varieties to deal with. I'm thinking you might have something like fescue or bluegrass, but you will need to figure that out. If it were one of those two, a product containing quinclorac would likely get at least a couple of those listed weeds along with the crabgrass. But you need to find out what type of grass you have first. If we used quinclorac on a lot of our grasses there would be nothing left of the lawn.

Charlieman said:   I used to work for Spectracide. The other chemical round up has in it now is diquat which is only a top burner. The original roundup before its patent expired was 18percent glyphosate only with some surfactants the only thing they have to list is the active ingredient surfactants are not active ingredients so they don't have to tell you about them. most of rest of bottle is water. the generics work just as good. Chemicals are strictly regulated so it has to have what it says it does to get the EPA to approve its label for the company to sell in the US. This should work just fine. I buy Lowes Home Depot and WalMart generic round up and it always works fine the only time you need the surfactant is if the plant has waxy type coated leaves like poison ivy (shiny leaves) and some grasses. A little ivory soap works great or glycerine. Round up works by staving the plant to death that's why it takes 10 days or so to work. the diquat just scorches the leaves to give a more immediate effect.

How much is a little soap? A drop per gallon? I do have some ivy that I need to be rid of and this looks it'll be the perfect product.

Split an order anyone? (I live in zip 91748)

Skipping 25 Messages...
bigcat007 said:   dupe
Who you callin' "dupe"?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014