• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My best friend called me a while back and said he has been doing this for 9 months and it worked again. He called in to say he was cancelling his service with XM, of course they asked why, and he said it was just too expensive for how much he used it. They offered him the $25 deal for 6 months and he said no, so they said, if we gave it to you for 3 months free, will you will stay with us...so he said sure. He has done that 4 consecutive times now. SO, I decided to try it...and it worked. Might work for all, I don't know, but if it worked for 2 poeple, surely it will work for more!

Member Summary

Get your Sirius or XM FREE for 90 days at a time
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
XM/Sirius radio is NOT commercial/ad-free like they claim. There is an increasing number of talk like stupid "trivia". T... (more)

mikejensen (Jun. 30, 2012 @ 12:47p) |

With the abundance of stations available now on the internet and hd extra channels, with services like Netflix or Amazon... (more)

claudiub (Jul. 19, 2012 @ 9:06p) |

Don't respond or else get a better life. Just saying.

joshhazel (Aug. 02, 2012 @ 10:44p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

this is why i love FW

Sketchy at best, but worth a try I guess.

This has worked for me quite often in the past for 60 days free. The reason it works is primarily so Sirius can report to investors that they have x number of subscribers. The amount that actually do not pay are still counted towards revenue. It's an old (and shady) accounting trick that companies like AOL were famous for.

A BIG YMMV.

I had been with first Sirius and then XM for several years. My last couple of years the rate was around $76. This year they attempted to renew me at $140+. I called and told them no, so they offered me a rate of $95. I told them that I didn't use XM that much, and that if they couldn't offer me a better deal that I'd like to cancel. The girl, who was very courteous, went ahead and cancelled my account. That was last month. Tell you the truth, I don't really miss it that much.

All who got free 3 months, do you have cc number on file with them? I called to get similar offer, they agreed but asked cc.

IMHO, this behavior sucks....you want the service? Pay for it, don't scam the company with fake cancellations....Can't afford the service? Don't sign up or else get a better job. Just saying.

JacquesTutite said:   IMHO, this behavior sucks....you want the service? Pay for it, don't scam the company with fake cancellations....Can't afford the service? Don't sign up or else get a better job. Just saying.

Any other company? Yes - I'd agree. But SiriusXM has been taking the piss out of their customers for years. Price increases, "online" surcharge and randomly dropping channels whenever they feel like it. Screw them - When I woke up one morning to hear that BBC Radio 1 had been dropped, I knew the time had come to turn my back on such a shady company.

My biggest complaint is the increase in talking. When I first heard about this service I thought if it were cheap enough, maybe I would go for it since radio has increased the amount of talking they do on the air. Now Sirius seems to really have increased, such as having calls come in from subscribers. I really don't care what anyone else has to say about anything; I just want uninterrupted music - that is what I am paying for, or so I thought! So when I can get them to offer me $5/month, I will order that but anything higher, forget it!

Massive compression. Bad sound. Nuff said.

If it's not worth paying for, discontinue the service. Obviously you value it somewhat since you take the time to call in. For legit customers like me, that pay for the service, your actions are likely a contributing factor to those price increases.

bpurdy3 said:   If it's not worth paying for, discontinue the service. Obviously you value it somewhat since you take the time to call in. For legit customers like me, that pay for the service, your actions are likely a contributing factor to those price increases.

Kindly explain to me how it is that if someone else is smart enough to pay less than me for the same service, that person is the jerk, not me?

I had myriad problems with XM when I tried to cancel after my free trial--they wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. Finally, I had to get curt and rude and they still didn't get it.

Bottom line: Throw Sirius, DirecTV, and COMCAST (especially) everything you've got when it comes to consumer complaints. They, in my direct experience, are despicable companies with horrible agendas, lobbyist money, and government "assistance" that totally undermines the principles of free enterprise.

I endured my last Comcast stealth "bill adjustment" 3 months ago and really gave them a piece of my mind while exiting.

... and the horse they rode in on!

bpurdy3 said:   If it's not worth paying for, discontinue the service. Obviously you value it somewhat since you take the time to call in. For legit customers like me, that pay for the service, your actions are likely a contributing factor to those price increases.

That's silly. The OP isn't stealing service, SiriusXM is offering to OP for free. Legitimately. If you don't like the price increases, perhaps you should discontinue paying it.

Paying $ to listen to the radio? Naaaaaaa

nexialist said:   Paying $ to listen to the radio? Naaaaaaa

Commercial free? Yeeeeaaaahhhh

There is nothing dishonest about someone calling because they don't want to pay $15+ a month, being offered to keep it for X amount (including possibly 0) by the company selling it, and deciding they think it is worth it at the X price, not the original 15+. If you are paying $15+ and think it is a badge of honor or something, good for you. If it is worth 15+ to you, great for you. If not, don't worry about people who don't want it for that price, but think it is worth it for less. I personally have the service, but would never pay 15+, so everytime my service expires, I call because I AM going to cancel it, but they always offer it to me for a price that I think is worthwhile, so I keep it (twice they did offer me 3 months free strangely). Nothing deceptive there.

It could be worse (for you paying customers). Sirius/XM apparently 'forgets' to send the deactivation signal for plenty of customers that cancel.. and you can guess the rest...

NEDeals said:   That's silly. The OP isn't stealing service, SiriusXM is offering to OP for free. Legitimately. If you don't like the price increases, perhaps you should discontinue paying it.

Exactly. SiriusXM is trying to hook people. They want and need people to become accustomed to their service.

SIRI is up against a competitor that they may not be able to beat--smartphones and streaming services. SIRI's only real hope is that people come to enjoy the exclusive programming that they have. The only way to do that is to keep giving people a taste, which costs them very little.

trdltly said:   nexialist said:   Paying $ to listen to the radio? Naaaaaaa

Not anymore, Wife's account just ended with her new car purchase, and there was commercials on serius/XM. Not as many as normal radio, but they were still there.

We had already decided we didn't use it enough to have it, called them and told them to cancel it. Even called a second time to confirm it was cancelled. A week later we had a $345 charge to her debit card. After some serious words between myself and the poor girl that happened to pick up the phone that day, a refund was issued and our service was finally cancelled. Similar thing happened to my boss after he sold a vehicle with XM. They continued to charge him after the vehicle was gone, despite cancelling the service. All that being said, if you cancel your service, watch your CC's like a hawk, because there's a good chance they'll "forget" about you cancelling.

panthers65 said:   trdltly said:   nexialist said:   Paying $ to listen to the radio? Naaaaaaa

Not anymore, Wife's account just ended with her new car purchase, and there was commercials on serius/XM. Not as many as normal radio, but they were still there.

We had already decided we didn't use it enough to have it, called them and told them to cancel it. Even called a second time to confirm it was cancelled. A week later we had a $345 charge to her debit card. After some serious words between myself and the poor girl that happened to pick up the phone that day, a refund was issued and our service was finally cancelled. Similar thing happened to my boss after he sold a vehicle with XM. They continued to charge him after the vehicle was gone, despite cancelling the service. All that being said, if you cancel your service, watch your CC's like a hawk, because there's a good chance they'll "forget" about you cancelling.

Although a pain in the ass, if you are organized enough and have a citi card, use a one time number.

panthers65 said:   

How did they have your debit card info to charge a renewal fee?

We purchased a new vehicle with free XM and I have called once or twice to ask some questions and they didn't even know I had the service. Seems to me they would know who has the service so they can contact them for renewal. I did have to give them my VIN number which I kind of regret but certainly nothing that they can charge money to. I doubt they will even contact me. Apparently they expect me to contact them. Seems like they have a bad business model.

Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't deactivate the service.

trdltly said:   nexialist said:   Paying $ to listen to the radio? Naaaaaaa

Definitely not commercial free! They are constantly advertising other shows and channels on their service. That's why I cancelled them (and the price).

I do not want to scam but I would like a new customer welcome low price. My husband loves talk radio and this would be great for him. I do not want to SCAM the company in anyway.

critzi said:   A BIG YMMV.

I had been with first Sirius and then XM for several years. My last couple of years the rate was around $76. This year they attempted to renew me at $140+. I called and told them no, so they offered me a rate of $95. I told them that I didn't use XM that much, and that if they couldn't offer me a better deal that I'd like to cancel. The girl, who was very courteous, went ahead and cancelled my account. That was last month. Tell you the truth, I don't really miss it that much.

ALL deals, ALL the time, are YMMV.

scoobydooby said:   JacquesTutite said:   IMHO, this behavior sucks....you want the service? Pay for it, don't scam the company with fake cancellations....Can't afford the service? Don't sign up or else get a better job. Just saying.

Any other company? Yes - I'd agree. But SiriusXM has been taking the piss out of their customers for years. Price increases, "online" surcharge and randomly dropping channels whenever they feel like it. Screw them - When I woke up one morning to hear that BBC Radio 1 had been dropped, I knew the time had come to turn my back on such a shady company.

Nice try! You are NOT "turning your back". You are stealing the service by not telling the truth.

My 6 month subscription expires next week so I called them... with my laptop open to Fat Wallet of course... I got them down to $21.95 (billed amount with whatever fees they include... $4.39/month)for a 5 months subscription. When it expires we'll start the process all over again. Its OK to have but its not worth that much more to me than the $4.39/month.

Some of you may have done better but its about all I could get with her consulting her "supervisor" twice. I'd rather have had a year for like $60, just for the hassle factor of renewing. We'll let it "expire" next time and see what they can do. Couldn't get them less than $86 for a one year.. OK by me. If the economy tanks I can probably get a year for $21.95 I seriously (no pun intended) would not want to work for these people. That gal talked so fast you could hardly understand her, she really wanted to close the deal quickly. I'm sure they must have some quota or something that they must meet.. and I can only imagine what happens if they lose a customer. eech..

I skipped the middle man and called their "retention" desk rather than working up the food chain.

C'mon folks, cut the OP some slack. He got a good deal and Sirius surely knows what they are doing. Even a non paying customer (for a short time at least)adds something to the bottom line and it won't last forever. Heck they give 6 months away when you buy a car and I'll bet you a dollar Ford isn't paying them a dime.. in fact I'd bet that same dollar Sirius is kicking them money rather than the other way around Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt regarding that? i.e. who's paying whom? Would be interesting to know. Any sharholders out there with any info on that?

Funny thing. I bought my car in August 2009. I was told it came with 3 months of free XM. It's never been turned off and no one has ever contacted me.

about 5yrs ago we sign up for lifetime service on sirius, it only cost us $400. The best deal that they ever had.

I'll have to give this a shot when the free trial in the new car is up. Or at least shoot for the 5-6 month deals out there.

I'm not sure how the one person got charged $345 on a new car. Our new car just came with it on. I've never contacted Sirius/XM, nor provided anyone with a CC.

I have one XM Premier account I paid $115 for the year on. If XM wants to offer me 3 months free for my wife's car, then that is their problem. No one should be criticised for taking a deal that is offered to them. If you are pissed because you paid too much, then try better next time. Don't complain on here about FW'ers getting the service for free. It isn't like they are gaming a coupon code or something, you have to talk to a XM rep and they have to approve it.

daddyweiss said:   scoobydooby said:   JacquesTutite said:   IMHO, this behavior sucks....you want the service? Pay for it, don't scam the company with fake cancellations....Can't afford the service? Don't sign up or else get a better job. Just saying.

Nice try! You are NOT "turning your back". You are stealing the service by not telling the truth.
I tell the truth and am more than ready to cancel. For around $100 it's worth it to me but for over $220 (XM Premier) I will live without it. Every year I call and tell them the truth. $225 is much to expensive and to please cancel my service. For the last 3 years x 2 vehicles they have said "how about half-price" and I said sure because to me that is the value of the service. When they stop offering me 1/2 the rack price I will simply quit. If that is stealing ..... then I am a thief.

XM/Sirius radio is NOT commercial/ad-free like they claim. There is an increasing number of talk like stupid "trivia". The "original VJs" talk over music, plus they cut most songs short to advertise for their stations, which doesn't even make sense, since most car radios nowadays display more info. than the channel title and number. I hate their tactics of auto-renewal and "offers" so much that I've been thinking it's not worth it to pay $5 per month for 3-8 channels. I might as well just stick to local radio and change the channel during ads.

With the abundance of stations available now on the internet and hd extra channels, with services like Netflix or Amazon prime video, i find satellite radio..mispriced. This will work for 3-5 dollars a month top. They should find extra revenue from limited commercials: say 60 seconds every hour. I bet that won't upset anybody and they will have a lot more customers. I think their business is in big trouble unless they find creative ways to stay competitive.

JacquesTutite said:   IMHO, this behavior sucks....you want the service? Pay for it, don't scam the company with fake cancellations....Can't afford the service? Don't sign up or else get a better job. Just saying.

Don't respond or else get a better life. Just saying.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014