Greyhound Express $2 Roundtrip YMMV

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

email
Disclaimer
$1 each way between major cities on greyhound by booking 3 weeks ahead (promotional and for a limited time, so hurry). They're promoting their "Express" line which uses the newer buses with leather seats, wifi, more legroom. The "Express" routes don't stop at small towns so you get to your destination faster. They've always had a few schedules a day like this but now they've allocated the new buses to them. For trips closer than 3 weeks out, it's still significantly cheaper than before. However, can't beat one dollar each way!!
For example, you can go between Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, for $1 each way (normal price is $75 San Antonio to Dallas roundtrip).

_______LINK_______
Make sure you're using the link and searching EXPRESS schedules.
YMMV. I think the rates change based on how many tickets are left.
------

More Amenities, Less Time. Take a ride on Greyhound Express for as low as $1! Travel on the open road with reserved seating, free Wi-Fi, power outlets and extra legroom.

------

Member Summary

Atx to Dal
Thanks PrinceK
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You couldn't pay me to board a bus anymore, it's 90% homeless/perverts/serial killers/ex-cons/etc., 5% pedophiles, and 5... (more)

poison7FL (Jun. 17, 2012 @ 7:04p) |

in for houston to dallas then dallas to austin then austin to dallas then dallas back to houston

ilovetrang (Jun. 18, 2012 @ 1:16a) |

We're supposed to take advice from someone with a deadhead picture for an icon,what's wrong with this picture.

billjriv (Jun. 22, 2012 @ 4:48p) |

21 day minimum advance purchase required for $1 fare.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank you for sharing here.

Nice deal. Only routes in the West are in CA, though.

PrinceK said:   $1 each way between major cities on greyhound by booking 3 weeks ahead (promotional and for a limited time, so hurry). They're promoting their "Express" line which uses the newer buses with leather seats, wifi, more legroom. The "Express" routes don't stop at small towns so you get to your destination faster. They've always had a few schedules a day like this but now they've allocated the new buses to them. For trips closer than 3 weeks out, it's still significantly cheaper than before. However, can't beat one dollar each way!!
For example, you can go between Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, for $1 each way (normal price is $75 San Antonio to Dallas roundtrip).

_______LINK_______
Make sure you're using the link and searching EXPRESS schedules.
YMMV. I think the rates change based on how many tickets are left.
------

More Amenities, Less Time. Take a ride on Greyhound Express for as low as $1! Travel on the open road with reserved seating, free Wi-Fi, power outlets and extra legroom.

------

It appears that $1 routes focus mostly upon routes where Megabus is competing with them for customers.... For example, Cleveland, OH to Washington, DC is currently $5 each way (competes with Megabus-400 mile trip), but Cleveland, OH to Columbus, OH (no competition-120 miles) is $51 each way with advance purchase. "Meh" as to the deal, doing a layover at 4AM in Downtown Atlanta will keep you booking airplane tickets; the guy next to me woke up with stolen luggage and missing shoes....Both hilarious and tragic at the same time.

Looks like it requires a minimum 21 day advanced purchase. I priced LA to Oakland and the "normal" advanced purchase fare is $29, but if you go 22 days out it is $1. The "express" buses along the I-5 corridor are just the rebranded old Greyhound direct buses of my college days, only a lot cheaper. Still stops in the same sketchy neighborhoods on each end (the Transbay Terminal in San Francisco is a lot nicer than the old terminal, which has been demolished) and makes that middle of the night stop at the Burger King at the Highway 198 interchange. I used to take the redeye bus when in college relatively often, but would generally transfer in Los Angeles to El Monte or Claremont to avoid walking in that decrepit area around the station. The area around Oakland has gotten a bit nicer, but I would not walk outside the LA terminal at any hour under any circumstances.

The problem with Express is that the redeye buses used to stop at North Hollywood or Hollywood, which offered a brisk walk to the subway to get the heck out of there. Now you have to board in Los Angeles. If I choose not to fly I'll stick with Amtrak, even with the long bus ride to Bakersfield or from San Luis Obispo. The people on Amtrak are at least normal, and have ID.

Megabus used to be in the LA-Bay Area corridor. They picked up at Union Station, the Caltrain terminal, and BART. Places where non-degenerates can feel somewhat comfortable. With the bankruptcy of Coach America, I hear they are coming back. It's about time.

Thanks OP. Definitely a good alternative to MegaBus and Bolt Bus along the DC-NYC corridor.
Even if you can't find the $1 fares, prices are still very competitive and many times cheaper than the alternatives - at least for now.
Great to know for future travel.

(FYI - Bolt is actually a part of the Greyhound company but the new Express fares have been better on all the routes/dates/times I was playing around with).

For some reason, it's bring back a N/A for any advanced ticket sales, even if I'm selecting months in advance, Oakland to LA. Any idea why this may be?

I'm seeing about $50! fares Boston to NYC, and $15 NYC to Washington. No $1 fares - anyone else see better in the NE?

Looks like you have to select a region and can only travel to select cities between regions. I would love to use this for a round trip from Nashville to Salt Lake City and return, or at least as close to SLC as possible and rent a car for the remainder of the distance to SLC, but I'm not sure that would be possible.

I'm seeing about $50! fares Boston to NYC, and $15 NYC to Washington. No $1 fares -

Maybe no express bus from Boston, they consider it as a small town.

f2000sa said:   I'm seeing about $50! fares Boston to NYC, and $15 NYC to Washington. No $1 fares -

Maybe no express bus from Boston, they consider it as a small town.
I'm not sure. The results page shows the 'e' for express, and the schedule lists no stops. So I think it is an express run.

BenDB said:   I'm seeing about $50! fares Boston to NYC, and $15 NYC to Washington. No $1 fares - anyone else see better in the NE?
DC to Norfolk, VA shows $1 fare

I saw DC to NYC for $1 in mid-June.

holy monkey cow! i saw chicago to NYC for $1...

How on Earth can they afford to give service away like this?

because then people start considering taking the bus

earlymorningimpulse said:   For some reason, it's bring back a N/A for any advanced ticket sales, even if I'm selecting months in advance, Oakland to LA. Any idea why this may be?

On Greyhound.com remember to select "Greyhound Express" underneath the ticket entry box, then choose the destinations. The origin and destination points should have express after them, like "Oakland Express, CA".

MadYe said:   holy monkey cow! i saw chicago to NYC for $1...

Do you remember the date?

BenDB said:   f2000sa said:   I'm seeing about $50! fares Boston to NYC, and $15 NYC to Washington. No $1 fares -

Maybe no express bus from Boston, they consider it as a small town.
I'm not sure. The results page shows the 'e' for express, and the schedule lists no stops. So I think it is an express run.


Yep, there's a NYC Express. Apparently, it's too popular, so this special doesn't apply

calwatch said:   earlymorningimpulse said:   For some reason, it's bring back a N/A for any advanced ticket sales, even if I'm selecting months in advance, Oakland to LA. Any idea why this may be?

On Greyhound.com remember to select "Greyhound Express" underneath the ticket entry box, then choose the destinations. The origin and destination points should have express after them, like "Oakland Express, CA".


Well, I'm going through the express "upgrade" link, so everything I can select is express. I thought I got it once, and I tried to refresh other dates, only to have the advanced ticket sales appear as N/A every other time. Anyone else able to book from Oakland to LA on legitimate advanced ticket dates? Or is this just somehow me..

do you do Las Vegas to Los Angeles or Las Vegas to Rancho cucamonga?

earlymorningimpulse said:   Anyone else able to book from Oakland to LA on legitimate advanced ticket dates? Or is this just somehow me..
If I follow the link in the OP, and choose:
region: west
oakland express
LA express
6/26

I get five trips, all of which let me purchase web only fares, but not 'advanced purchase' fares.
Does that help clarify things for you?

calwatch said:   
Megabus used to be in the LA-Bay Area corridor. They picked up at Union Station, the Caltrain terminal, and BART. Places where non-degenerates can feel somewhat comfortable. With the bankruptcy of Coach America, I hear they are coming back. It's about time.


For anyone interested in this topic:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303448404577412332...

Thank you!! This just made my summer trip THAT much better

BenDB said:   earlymorningimpulse said:   Anyone else able to book from Oakland to LA on legitimate advanced ticket dates? Or is this just somehow me..
If I follow the link in the OP, and choose:
region: west
oakland express
LA express
6/26

I get five trips, all of which let me purchase web only fares, but not 'advanced purchase' fares.
Does that help clarify things for you?


But if you pick the week before (6/19) it does work. Weird, just like most of Greyhound.

couldnt find any $1 fares out of orlando but still pretty cool op

It's kind of strange, I pick at future date on 6/13 for Washington DC to New York, it's $13.00.

Good deal. BoltBus and MegaBus offer $1 tickets all the time if you are traveling in their areas.

Here in California, we have a Mexican bus line that has some really clean buses. It's great! Guess which bus patronage group doesn't like Mexicans.

Has this promo expired? I'm getting regular prices.

False advertisement. Advertised special promotion of $2 roundtrip from SJ/OAK to LA. But you could only purchase the ticket at $90! Bate and switch more like it.

brilliant deal. Thank OP!

Very nice.

Someone from the LA Times decided to ride Greyhound Express and met a grandma, a pregnant ex hooker, and a Texas traveler who splurged for the monthly pass: http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-bustrip-20120617,0,5450927,f...

Im trying to dind RT tix from Atlanta to Washington DC but dont see them on any dates.

Any ideas?



TIA

KYBOSH said:   Im trying to dind RT tix from Atlanta to Washington DC but dont see them on any dates.

Any ideas?



TIA


It has to be for a date at least 3 weeks out. Play around with the dates if you're flexible.

You couldn't pay me to board a bus anymore, it's 90% homeless/perverts/serial killers/ex-cons/etc., 5% pedophiles, and 5% normal people.

in for houston to dallas then dallas to austin then austin to dallas then dallas back to houston

poison7FL said:   You couldn't pay me to board a bus anymore, it's 90% homeless/perverts/serial killers/ex-cons/etc., 5% pedophiles, and 5% normal people.We're supposed to take advice from someone with a deadhead picture for an icon,what's wrong with this picture.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014