• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My local Costco in Southern California sells $300 AA gift vouchers for $270. Fineprint says up to 8 can be used in a single reservation.
It also helps that executive members get additional 2% CashBack, making the net discount just shy of 12%.

Obviously, YMMV based on your local Costco.

American Airlines Vacations
See American Airlines Vacations discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Logo
Thanks Logician1313
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This deal has been around for almost one year - great way to save an extra 10%.

it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

what section in your Costco did you find these?

Which Costco in southern CA did you find these at? Also, can they be used for their vacation packages or just airfare?

flap said:   what section in your Costco did you find these?

I've seen these in the gift card section at Fair Lakes, VA and Chantilly, VA. There are ~20 different varieties, most of them for local restaurants. I use them to regularly get 20% off at Red Hot and Blue. Good deal.

linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

Why must the Southwest shills / employees / shareholders attempt to hijack EVERY THREAD related to air travel. There are plenty of us who only fly SWA when there is no option (unfortunately I do it more than I would like, enough to qualify for A-List), prefer the service, professionalism, elite perks of AA. We have saved lots of money with the Costco AA gift cards, hope they continue to carry them.

Such fees are the norm for full service airlines when you reserve a preferred seat. From personal experience, even with the premium seat reservation (and for those who check baggage), the total cost for the same flight on AA is typically MUCH CHEAPER than SWA. This allows families to sit together - something that is virtually impossible on SWA, even if you pay their $10 fee for realy bird check in, as you are still behind business select, a-listers, through passengers from the previous flight.

shank said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

Why must the Southwest shills / employees / shareholders attempt to hijack EVERY THREAD related to air travel. There are plenty of us who only fly SWA when there is no option (unfortunately I do it more than I would like, enough to qualify for A-List), prefer the service, professionalism, elite perks of AA. We have saved lots of money with the Costco AA gift cards, hope they continue to carry them.

Such fees are the norm for full service airlines when you reserve a preferred seat. From personal experience, even with the premium seat reservation (and for those who check baggage), the total cost for the same flight on AA is typically MUCH CHEAPER than SWA. This allows families to sit together - something that is virtually impossible on SWA, even if you pay their $10 fee for realy bird check in, as you are still behind business select, a-listers, through passengers from the previous flight.
i don't work for swa nor do i own any luv stocks. i just recommend them because they don't charge any fees and you practically get to sit where ever you wanna sit.

shank said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

Why must the American Airlines shills / employees / shareholders attempt to hijack EVERY THREAD related to air travel. There are plenty of us who only fly AA when there is no option (unfortunately I do it more than I would like, enough to qualify for A-List), prefer the service, professionalism, elite perks of SWA. We have saved lots of money with the Costco gift cards, hope they continue to carry them.

Such fees are the exorbitant for full service airlines when you reserve a preferred seat. From personal experience, even with the premium seat reservation (and for those who check baggage), the total cost for the same flight on SWA is typically MUCH CHEAPER than AA. This allows families to sit together - something that is virtually impossible on AA, even for realy bird check in, as you are still behind business select, a-listers, through passengers from the previous flight

nutcr0cker said:   shank said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

Why must the American Airlines shills / employees / shareholders attempt to hijack EVERY THREAD related to air travel. There are plenty of us who only fly AA when there is no option (unfortunately I do it more than I would like, enough to qualify for A-List), prefer the service, professionalism, elite perks of SWA. We have saved lots of money with the Costco gift cards, hope they continue to carry them.

Such fees are the exorbitant for full service airlines when you reserve a preferred seat. From personal experience, even with the premium seat reservation (and for those who check baggage), the total cost for the same flight on SWA is typically MUCH CHEAPER than AA. This allows families to sit together - something that is virtually impossible on AA, even for realy bird check in, as you are still behind business select, a-listers, through passengers from the previous flight

This is a thread about discounted American Airlines Gift cards, has NOTHING TO DO with Southwest. If you do not agree with my statements, why not try providing some objective facts to refute them, rather than play such childish games - is it because I am correct?

linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

I had to look this up for myself. Checked out SJC->ORD. They DO NOT charge extra for window or isle seats in the back of the plane. Please stop spreading lies.

etee said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

I had to look this up for myself. Checked out SJC->ORD. They DO NOT charge extra for window or isle seats in the back of the plane. Please stop spreading lies.
read here and here and here. shall i go on?

linrick said:   etee said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

"Here's the deal: some seats towards the front of economy on AA flights will cost extra to reserve in advance. That means when you log on to book a flight or check in with 24 hours of departure and have the option to choose your seat, you may be faced with crappy seats in the middle or far back for no extra cost, or window/aisle and further up for a little more cash."

Too bad there's no concert on the plane, otherwise this would be justified.

Like I said, not all seats are subject to this. SWA sells folks the option for early boarding too (which is similar since there are no assigned seats). I agree AA nickel and dimes more than SWA, but it's in line with a lot of other U.S. carriers, which is something we've been putting up with for a long time. I like that AA's 737 planes have a bit more legroom than other US carriers who use the Airbus A320/319s.

Thank you for posting this. I travel so much now due to an elderly parent. Can anyone tell me which airline tends to have wider seats? No wise cracks, it's just a question, and please don't mention SW.
Kind thanks!

neneriffic said:   Thank you for posting this. I travel so much now due to an elderly parent. Can anyone tell me which airline tends to have wider seats? No wise cracks, it's just a question, and please don't mention SW.
Kind thanks!

www.seatguru.com has all of the details. Short answer: seats on jets are typically the same width, some airlines play with pitch (distance between rows). Only real option for wider seats is business / first class. Most carriers offer cheap upgrades (where available) 24 hours before the flight, during online check-in. For example, we were able to upgrade on a recent flight from the Big Island to LAX for only $129 each - WELL WORTH IT.

If you are traveling "so much", try to stick with one full service airline, who offers premium seating. While programs vary by airline, most start to offer free / discounted upgrade options after flying 25k miles per year, bennies improve after 50k miles. Airline selection is first a function of the carrier offering the most convenient, lowest cost service; then consider the reward programs, as they vary greatly between carriers - www.flyertalk.com

does anyone know if these cards would work on a third party site like kayak.com or Expedia?

etee said:   linrick said:   etee said:   linrick said:   it's a shame that aa is nickle and diming customers. they now charge additional fee ($25+) for window or isle seat. i'm seeing others following. stick with SW if you can.

"Here's the deal: some seats towards the front of economy on AA flights will cost extra to reserve in advance. That means when you log on to book a flight or check in with 24 hours of departure and have the option to choose your seat, you may be faced with crappy seats in the middle or far back for no extra cost, or window/aisle and further up for a little more cash."

Too bad there's no concert on the plane, otherwise this would be justified.

Like I said, not all seats are subject to this. SWA sells folks the option for early boarding too (which is similar since there are no assigned seats). I agree AA nickel and dimes more than SWA, but it's in line with a lot of other U.S. carriers, which is something we've been putting up with for a long time. I like that AA's 737 planes have a bit more legroom than other US carriers who use the Airbus A320/319s.

Actually, what ends up happening is all of the rear seats that don't require an upgrade charge get taken quickly. So if you travel with 2+ people, you'll have to buy the premium seats if you want to sit together. Otherwise, you have to show up to the airport and hope that they can seat you together. If you go through the online check in process, this won't be explained to you. They make you think the only option you have is to buy the premium seats. One time there were literally no seats available in the free section. When I called the airline, they suggested that I buy the upgrade and made it seem like I wouldn't be able to fly if I didn't. In the end, I didn't get my seat until 30 mins before the flight left, assigned at the gate.

I don't appreciate these types of business practices. Having said that, most airlines are terrible these days. Just learn their tricks, and do your best to be informed. Thanks OP for posting this!

Everybody has an angle to further their company, lol.

have these been pulled?

I just picked up 3 gift cards. ($900 value) today at Costco in so Cal. A few Costco's have them in stock but don't have them out. You will need to go up to one of the Leads or Managers and ask them to look it up. The Costco Id number is item number 576515. Like I said I picked them up today. $900 in value for $810 = 10% off. Great deal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.